It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Bet you didn’t expect this news, but here we are – Betrayer is now available on GOG for FREE, as we continuously work on making games last forever!

Betrayer is an atmospheric first-person horror adventure set in the New World during the early 17th century. You’ll step into the year 1604, having set sail from England with the expectation of joining a struggling colony on the Virginia coast. Instead of a thriving community though, you’ll be greeted by an eerie silence and mysteries; wondering what calamity befell this land, robbing it of vibrancy and life. Through the careful gathering of clues, your quest will be to reconstruct the narrative of this ill-fated settlement and uncover a way to restore order.

Check it out now, for FREE on GOG!

We'd also like to take a moment for a big thank you to Tyler, also known as tfishell – one of our fellow gaming enthusiasts, who helped us bring this gem to our catalog. We couldn't have asked for a more passionate and awesome community. Let's keep making games last forever, together.
Thanks tfishell, Blackpowder Games and gog!

So this is the game you were talking about, huh? Neat! :)
I don't understand how tfishell is able to perform apparently unofficial work as if he were a biz dev of GOG, even though he apparently is not actually a GOG biz dev, and all of this has GOG's full approval.

But yet, some years ago, another GOG forum member who was doing that exact same thing, he got in big trouble for having done that.
Post edited July 10, 2023 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Really great news. This site has a great community, I still feel that.
This was one of the first indie games which really attracted my attention when it was released. At the time I mostly saw indie games as "pixel-art stuff" trying to emulate old classics of videogaming. Betrayer showed me that indie devs could create stuff just as visually impressive and interesting as AAA creators.

Thank you, GOG and tfishell
Very cool, thanks for Betrayer!
Being greeted by an unexpected surprise is such a treat! :D I was unaware of this game, but the trailer has piqued my interest. Looks like an indie gem.

Thank you, GOG, not only for adding Betrayer to our collection, but for giving credit where credit is due (tfishell!). That is a classy gesture. :) And thanks to you too, Blackpowder Games. :)
Thank you for the gift, GOG. I'm suprised that you "allowed" me to have it like everyone else, given that you've hidden 99% of free games for taking last year - it's a big step in some uknown direction. Was it a slip up by chance? ;)
A big thank you to all involved in making this give away possible. Always nice to have a surprize waitiing for you after all of the Summer Sale chaos has wrapped. Anyway, I love that this game is being saved from cyber limbo and will now be preserved DRM free. Awesome!

Cheers!
high rated
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I don't understand how tfishell is able to perform apparently unofficial work as if he were a biz dev of GOG, even though he apparently is not actually a GOG biz dev, and all of this has GOG's full approval.

But yet, some years ago, another GOG forum member who was doing that exact same thing, he got in big trouble for having done that.
afaik, the member you're speaking about was a good person/meant well, but was overenthusiastic about trying to get a game here (got kinda spammy), and didn't let the devs know he wasn't an official staff member so they thought he officially worked for GOG. But I'll let others give more detail / explanation.

As for me, I basically just ask people if releases (if not GOG, other DRM-free stores) could happen, and if so try to put them in touch with GOG staff/biz-dev. And I try to ensure they know I don't officially work for GOG. I'll occasionally send reminder emails or ask for updates from them when appropriate, but not frequently/spammingly so it doesn't get annoying.
I heard about this game before, but I were never being attracted to it. Betrayer reminds me of another game with similar features: people turned to statues, chatting with ghosts. Though I do believe this game was created before the one I have remember.
What a nice surprise! I had stumbled upon this game previously on this forum; it certainly caught my eye with its distinctive looks. It's great to be able to experience it for free!
Thank you, tfishell, for your precious work "behind the scenes" to bring this and other titles here. You're truly a great asset to this community!
Thank you for this, it does seem like a interesting game to check out.
Spectrum_Legacy: The only thing that lowered the experience for me were graphical glitches (back then at least) on radeon gpus. They manifested as flickering white rectangles across certain shader/effect in game. No idea if it was ever fixed within amd driver or in game, or it's still present.
Yes, this title IIRC has always been showing graphical glitches on AMD GPUs back then.
I think that was the reason why it got delisted on steam.
good
GOG is doing what we love them for : Bringing Good Old games back to life - DRM-free

I'd even would have paid for this!
Post edited July 11, 2023 by dyscode