It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The third generation of the insanely extensive RPG is here.

Avernum: Escape From The Pit, a vastly enhanced modern remake of one of the biggest and longest-running hard-core isometric RPG worlds that came to being with Exile in 1995, is available 50% off until Monday, for Windows and Mac on GOG.com.

Avernum: Escape From The Pit tells an epic story of a huge underground prison colony - place of exile for empire's banished citizens, outcasts, criminals, and bastards, that becomes a thriving kingdom of its own over the course of hundreds of years of existence. For a computer game, it's quite impossible to recreate what pen & paper role playing games offer: endless adventures in a land of possibilities limited only by one's imagination. That's why most computer RPGs don't even try to reach that goal. Jeff Vogel's Avernum: Escape From The Pit defies that rule, and is one of the few games in the genre that come close to the analog predecessors in terms of complexity, depth, and scale.

If you're up for the challenge of a insanely vast feature-packed world that can takes months to explore in full, dare to descend into Avernum: Escape From The Pit. The 50% off release discount lasts until Monday, January 12, at 10:59AM GMT.
haleisback: I bought this and have played it a bit and it seems fun.
I'm not not paying $15-$20 for the second though,i'll wait till it goes on sale.if it's normally $15 and has a release discount i may buy though.
yeah, I think it was a silly move on Vogel's part. Sure that is how much his games cost via his site but to go and release your last batch of games for 10 bucks elsewhere and then turn around and say "okay now I am jacking the price elsewhere to match the offical sites price of 20" is not going to be a good move since it will alienate customers who felt the 9.99 price tag was worth it and really as much as I like his games they are not worth no 20 bucks, granted on the other hand while he will lose alot of first month sales by this move he does have the possiblity of making that back when the game goes on sale since if he does a 50% off sale the game will be 9.99 instead of what the usual 50% off the 9.99 price(2.99) which after a usual 70/30 split doesn't get you much. So there is that but still I think he will loss sales and double back to 9.99 for Avadon 3 and Avernum: Ruined World.
Post edited January 13, 2015 by DCT
haleisback: I bought this and have played it a bit and it seems fun.
I'm not not paying $15-$20 for the second though,i'll wait till it goes on sale.if it's normally $15 and has a release discount i may buy though.
DCT: yeah, I think it was a silly move on Vogel's part. Sure that is how much his games cost via his site but to go and release your last batch of games for 10 bucks elsewhere and then turn around and say "okay now I am jacking the price elsewhere to match the offical sites price of 20" is not going to be a good move since it will alienate customers who felt the 9.99 price tag was worth it and really as much as I like his games they are not worth no 20 bucks, granted on the other hand while he will lose alot of first month sales by this move he does have the possiblity of making that back when the game goes on sale since if he does a 50% off sale the game will be 9.99 instead of what the usual 50% off the 9.99 price(2.99) which after a usual 70/30 split doesn't get you much. So there is that but still I think he will loss sales and double back to 9.99 for Avadon 3 and Avernum: Ruined World.
true... i would rather have a possibilty of 1000 people buying it a 10$ then a steady of having 300 users buying it a 20 bucks.

300x20=6000

1000 or even at 600 users at 10 bucks is already 6000 bucks
But i do have a certain max price in the head for every kind of game :D

gamesfreak64: i bought it when i saw it.

i did notice however that the next game will be at 15.99 euro
the current was 7.99 euros which is a ncie price for these kind of games

will all upcoming games be at 15.99 ? thats a little bit high.
I do like the games but 16 bucks for every upcoming game is a bit high.

I see grimfandango at 11.99 unless thats a preorder price, that price is nicer.
RyaReisender: In regards of Avernum, read this: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.de/
i saw it, thnx for the link.

he has a point of most of the things however about those negative things regarding casual games, i dont have 400 games, i do have 200 or more casual games (retail cd/dvd) :D so these games between 3 and 10 bucks do make a nice living for the people who sell them.

Now to get to that lords of xulima: 23 bucks for special edition drm free is a nice price
BUT and this is a BIG but , i really hope that the game performs better cause the steam version is sooooooooo sluggish on my machine (XP) 3 gb memory , quad core 2,67 and nvidia GTS 250 with 1meg videoram
i have 8 gb in total but xp cant use that, win7 can :D
So xulima is a nice game but performance is bad.... the text is almost unreadable its to small
and loading is slow, the game has a ncie fog of war but it could have be done simpler, less physics, less smoothing,
its just so heavvy the game.
Post edited January 13, 2015 by gamesfreak64
I dunno, I guess all those discounts and bundles had a negative impact on what people consider an adequate price for a game. Just some years ago people would think $40-60 is an adequate price for a newly released PC game. Now people think that $20 is "way too expensive" up to the point where they get angry at the developer for demanding that much.

I'm surprised that there are not more complaints about the price of Pillars of Eternity and The Witcher 3.