It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A Triple-A Ubisoft Digital Premiere

They may have been nearly lost since the late nineties, but they're very much alive in game design (and our fond memories) even to this day. Today's triple Digital Distribution Premiere from Ubisoft is not just a set of releases that start with the letter A, it's also a collection of games that introduced something new to their genre, offered a unique combination of playstyles and design choices, or tried something fresh and risky with great payoff.

All three releases are updated to work with Windows 10, and are available in a classic Ubisoft bundle at 20% off!

<span class="bold">Anno 1602 A.D.</span> is the one that spawned a series famed for its ambitious mix of real time strategy, business simulation and city building. It's a game that throws you, a pioneer of the unknown, into humanity's most far out frontier to colonise and conquer. Here, you'll find everything from exploration, trading, resource management, diplomacy and even combat - truly solidifying the experience of a true freedom to design your world, and the absolute control to do so your way. Anno 1602 A.D. includes Anno 1602: Creation of a New World and its expansion Anno 1602: New Islands, New Adventures.

<span class="bold">Albion</span> is a game that takes classic RPG and Dungeon Crawling, a healthy dose of humor, and risks its dangerous voyage far, far beyond earth into humanity's true final frontier. It's a deep-space adventure that draws bits and pieces from an unusual pairing of titles like The Elder Scrolls and Ultima - all to feature great looking 2D overworld exploration with detailed first-person 3D combat. Its most direct roots, however, stem from titles known as "Amberstar" and "Ambermoon" - two parts of an Amiga trilogy that never came to be concluded. Designed by the original team behind the Amiga classic, Albion is their true spiritual successor in everything but the name.

<span class="bold">Archimedean Dynasty</span> takes on one of humanity's biggest, most unfamiliar and inaccessible unknowns: the deep, dark sea. You'll pilot a state-of-the-art submarine to brave the depths and trenches of an underwater colony in turmoil. The bulk of the gameplay will be familiar to veterans of series like X-Wing or Freespace, but it's the absolutely unique setting and atmosphere that truly make this title worth remembering. Archimedean Dynasty soon spawned the AquaNox series, making today's release the final piece of a trilogy unique enough to truly earn a place on anybody's shelf.

Brave the distinct unknowns with the Anno 1602 A.D., Albion, and Archimedean Dynasty bundle, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com! The launch discount will last for one week, until Wednesday, August 5, 1:59 PM GMT.
Klumpen0815: M-HT, the same one who made the original OpenPandora port as well:
http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/5950-albion/
shmerl: You point out there that it's different from the original (repackaged). Will it work with that port?
It seems, that the files in GoG's version differ from the original CDs, so I guess it has to be tweaked in some way.
Someone mentioned this:

they usually make the game.gog the cdrom iso, so it may be if you mount that file and run the normal install all the files could be installed to the harddrive.

it would make sense for them to leave data that would be duplicated in the iso for space considerations
I only tried the files from the original CDs (German and English) yet and they work great with this port, but I have no idea about GoG's own package.

JudasIscariot: So, what is it about Albion that our German friends go crazy about it? :D
It's vast and beautiful. A really long game that stays interesting as long as you can handle the difficulty and can keep track of where you are and what you were supposed to do, because it really is huge for such an old game.
The graphics style is quite unique and nicely done.

The father of the current open world RPGs.
Post edited July 31, 2015 by Klumpen0815
JudasIscariot: So, what is it about Albion that our German friends go crazy about it? :D
moonshineshadow: Germans go crazy about it? Damn now I feel left out :D
Well, "crazy" might be the wrong word :) It's just whenever I mentioned it to any of my German-speaking friends they were all like "OMG! Best game ever! 100/10 would RPG again!" :D
moonshineshadow: Germans go crazy about it? Damn now I feel left out :D
JudasIscariot: Well, "crazy" might be the wrong word :) It's just whenever I mentioned it to any of my German-speaking friends they were all like "OMG! Best game ever! 100/10 would RPG again!" :D
Seems like I must have missed something. Good thing I am hiding in Switzerland at the moment, since I never even heard of this game before :D
Post edited July 31, 2015 by moonshineshadow
JudasIscariot: Well, "crazy" might be the wrong word :) It's just whenever I mentioned it to any of my German-speaking friends they were all like "OMG! Best game ever! 100/10 would RPG again!" :D
moonshineshadow: Seems like I must have missed something. Good thing I am hiding in Switzerland at the moment, since I never even heard of this game before :D
Gotta come down from those mountains sometimes :P
moonshineshadow: Seems like I must have missed something. Good thing I am hiding in Switzerland at the moment, since I never even heard of this game before :D
JudasIscariot: Gotta come down from those mountains sometimes :P
That could be difficult. There are mountains almost everywhere here :P
JudasIscariot: Gotta come down from those mountains sometimes :P
moonshineshadow: That could be difficult. There are mountains almost everywhere here :P
No time like the present to start working on your Climbing skill :P
Amazing releases!
It's a story-oriented blend of Sci-Fi and Fantasy with a colorful and (to me) good-looking pixel art style and (at the time) original mix of top down exploration with simple puzzles (levers, floor tiles and such) and adventure elements (you can examine all kinds of objects in the environment), 3D dungeon crawling and turn-based combat (which in turn mixes basic strategical positioning on a top-down board and M&M-style fake 3D view of the opponents). I haven't played any other RPG like that and I remember that I enjoyed it a lot back in the days. The only negative thing about it that I recall is that the resources are comparatively sparse and you shouldn't go around wasting them - I was unable to complete the game when I played it back then because I couldn't beat the final battle, as my party was worn down by the combat that preceded it and I had run out of bullets and stuff. :(

But then again, your favorite Knights of the Chalice is equally brutal. ;)
Post edited July 31, 2015 by Leroux
Leroux: Huh, I never noticed Driscoll was actually a tomboy (see attached screenshot). ;)
I've noticed this too and made a post about it, because this isn't the case in the original version.
Well it was developed by a German developer. That might have something to do with its popularity here.
moonshineshadow: That could be difficult. There are mountains almost everywhere here :P
JudasIscariot: No time like the present to start working on your Climbing skill :P
He'll have to wait until the next level up to raise Climbing skill ;)
JudasIscariot: No time like the present to start working on your Climbing skill :P
Daliz: He'll have to wait until the next level up to raise Climbing skill ;)
I was thinking of the Morrowind way of raising skills by using them :P

Moonshineshadow can ask awalterj for tips on mountain climbing since awalterj managed to make it all the way to Poland :P
Post edited July 31, 2015 by JudasIscariot
Leroux: The only negative thing about it that I recall is that the resources are comparatively sparse and you shouldn't go around wasting them - I was unable to complete the game when I played it back then because I couldn't beat the final battle, as my party was worn down by the combat that preceded it and I had run out of bullets and stuff. :(
The final battle in the game is intended to be unwinnable by brute force (though you can win it, if you know how to and have enough spare-time and resources). The previous battle can be avoided by talking your way out of it, and the battles (or rather the gauntlet) directly before that one can be entirely circumvented.
Daliz: He'll have to wait until the next level up to raise Climbing skill ;)
JudasIscariot: I was thinking of the Morrowind way of raising skills by using them :P
As long as I don't need to jump around all the time to raise my acrobatics skill I am fine with that approach :P
Gaunathor: The final battle in the game is intended to be unwinnable by brute force (though you can win it, if you know how to and have enough spare-time and resources). The previous battle can be avoided by talking your way out of it, and the battles (or rather the gauntlet) directly before that one can be entirely circumvented.
Well, I wish I had known that back then. :/ I'm not sure if it was the final battle, could have been one of those preceding it, but I think it was against important antagonists. In any case, that encourages me to play through it again and see whether I'd fare better nowadays. I think the game does involve a little grinding though?
Post edited July 31, 2015 by Leroux