It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sim Heaven & Hell.

<span class="bold">Afterlife</span>, a Lucasfilm god game, a GOG.com digital premiere, is available now for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux--DRM-free on GOG.com.

<span class="bold">Afterlife</span> is... a weird game. It's so many things at once, and a few brand new concepts to boot. The premise is an otherworldly twist on SimCity - you're in charge of supplying a satisfactory afterlife experience to the inhabitants of the Planet. The Planetfolk, called EMBOs (or Ethically Mature Biological Organisms) and their SOULs (Stuff of Unending Life) need to be fully supplied with all the pleasure or pain they've earned in life - that includes an absolutely divine final reward, or a sadistic punishment. With plenty of structures, a complex tenet system (watch out for those HOHORALFSUMAists!), and extremely detailed sim mechanics - <span class="bold">Afterlife</span> is a unique, satirical god game to die for.

The game includes the official Reference Guide, courtesy of our forum friend EnforcerSunWoo. (Thank you!)

Don't fear the reaper, fear the disco inferno in <span class="bold">Afterlife</span>, a digital premiere now DRM-free on GOG.com!
tinyE: Cool someone who is a fan of both. How does this compare to SimCity? This is going to be hard to describe but one of the reasons SimCity 2K works is that it looks relatively good for it's age. Someone mentioned Dungeon Keeper earlier and I could never get into that because the graphics are just too rough given what you have to do in the game.

Does that make any sense!? XD

In SimCity I can actually tell buildings apart where with other games it's like, okay what's that green blob and whats the gray one? How does Afterlife fit into this?
InfraSuperman: The game's graphics are as good, if not a bit better than SC2000. All of the buildings are very lovingly designed and drawn with quite a bit of detail. It's sometimes hard to see individual ones when you have a whole block of the damn things, but the beauty in this game is that you can click on every single one of them to open a little window with a neat picture of the building and an extensive (and often hilarious) description of what it does. I remember, for example, a punishment structure for people who played video games and it was shaped like a giant joystick.
I'm so there! Thanks for putting a bow on it. :D
tinyE: I'm so there! Thanks for putting a bow on it. :D
Be aware, though, that this game is quite difficult and demands a lot of bizarre micromanagement.

EDIT: The upside of failing in this game is that you'll be visited by the "Four Surfers of Apocalypso", who'll demolish all your stuff.
Post edited April 09, 2015 by InfraSuperman
Yay! Instabuy! Of all the Lucas Arts games, Grim Fandango and Afterlife were my two most wanted (closely followed by Loom and Dig). I think my happiness is now complete - if not my spending here! ;-)
Post edited April 09, 2015 by LynetteC
I never heard of this game ever, even though i`ve played games for nigh 20 years. Love the idea. My only critique is the colour palette looks like it`s all over the place.
Socratatus: I never heard of this game ever, even though i`ve played games for nigh 20 years. Love the idea. My only critique is the colour palette looks like it`s all over the place.
Well son, in the afterlife that's the way palettes look. :D
So how similar is this game to SimCity 2000?
holy shit. I had this game, in brazilian portuguese even. could have been a Windows version though? AFAIK I tried to install it a few years ago but couldn't either install it or run it. I'm quite sure if it was DOS I would have tried DOSBox but my memory could be failing here.

I sucked at it, but I thought the names of the buildings were quite funny and it was a nice twist on the usual setting of these types of games.
HELL YEAH! Always meant to get this one. So glad it's finally here! :)
Holy shit GOG! I never thought I would see this re-released! You are so awesome!
Attachments:
i know this game its from the late 90ties, 96 i guess it was
i read a review in pc gameplay (belgian/dutch )back then,
its a classic game.

i dont have the old magazines anymore cause they took too many space so i started to keep only 3 or 4 years of the magazine (thats 60 mags )

theres loads of old games out there still waiting to be discoverd and to get a gog treatment so they will work again.
resident evil 2 and 3 would be nice to have working again (i have them on retaild cd).
Post edited April 09, 2015 by gamesfreak64
Nice release.
This game looks really strange, I've never heard of this game.
I was thinking about ordering this game about a week ago, then thought that perhaps it will be released here soon. Weird.

mattymuc: This game looks really strange, I've never heard of this game.
IIRC from the news of that year, it was a big hit in Germany.
Post edited April 09, 2015 by trusteft
Awesome! I've wanted this since I saw LGR's review.
IronArcturus: So how similar is this game to SimCity 2000?
Quite similar, actually. Zoning here is based on the 7 capital sins/virtues instead of residential, commercial and industrial areas. You must place angelic or demonic structures just like you must place police stations on SC2000. Place the entrance portal, connect roads to your zones and you'll soon see the buildings getting erected.

The big difference is that you build two cities at the same time. You can't neglect one to concentrate on the other. Also, smaller differences between heaven and hell exist. The one I can remember is that my hell would never grow up because my traffic system was "too efficient for their tastes". (That's when I stopped playing BTW)