It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I would guess Bethesda would have to pull the add-ons part, which is where you get other things like Quake 64 and have to disable the Beth.Net authentication check that happens when you boot Quake Remastered/Enhanced.

And then they (Bethesda) would probably have to provide a DRM-FREE installers and DRM-FREE versions of Quake 64 and any add-ons also to GOG.
DaReXX: So, will it at least arrive in 2021 still? Place your bets...
No

The more interesting question would be that when/if it arroves on gog, will it be feature-complete (as in: working multiplayer, Q64 add on)?

To which my bet is also No. (see the post above mine)
Not to get anyone's hopes up but I just saw Quake pop up on the EGS and I think it might have been added today. So maybeeeee.......
Yes, it's also now available on Epic Game Store.

And they also just released a new update. Update 2 brings a Horde mode (1-4 local or online) , a new add-on and a small list of improvements and fixes.

AAAANNNNDDDD.... still nothing here.
As an old UT player who loved invasion, Quake Horde mode sounds amazing. I really hope this isn't because of Microsoft being Microsoft about all this.
Starkrun: I really hope this isn't because of Microsoft being Microsoft about all this.
I hope not, I was hoping actually that Bethesda would pave the road for DRM-free Halo games ;)
All Bethesda games came here at the end of their development stage.

So I would NOT expect the game to arrive here, as long as all updates or DLCs were released elsewhere.

Then they will make ONE last, DRM-free build and give that to GOG and that's it than.

So just wait until "it is done" and finished. Everything else is unjustified.
Starkrun: I really hope this isn't because of Microsoft being Microsoft about all this.
Cadaver747: I hope not, I was hoping actually that Bethesda would pave the road for DRM-free Halo games ;)
Fun Fact: Halo Master cheif plays beutifully offline with no degedation of ability, play, or performance in single player mode.

As for multiplayer that wouldn't work to well. That said it would be easy to disable that and just release the SP parts. On top of that certain "versions" multiplayer works without issue #winkyface so a DRM free edition could easily work with a disclaimer on it. They just have to want to do it.
Starkrun: Fun Fact: Halo Master cheif plays beutifully offline with no degedation of ability, play, or performance in single player mode.

As for multiplayer that wouldn't work to well. That said it would be easy to disable that and just release the SP parts. On top of that certain "versions" multiplayer works without issue #winkyface so a DRM free edition could easily work with a disclaimer on it. They just have to want to do it.
It's no surprising, I still remember playing Halo: Combat Evolved on PC (2003) without any DRM issues. Releasing single-player games like it was done for E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermacy would be cool. And no, Microsoft would not want it.

I think that GOG's future will be interesting: they would convince publishers to release their AAA games one day as Single-Player DRM-free fully playable component with the ability to play online using their in-house DRM launchers (XBOX Live in case of Halo). Half the GOG community would be pissed as hell, but after some time they would start loving it and will defend GOG store for it's SP player DRM-free games above anything else. The community war, "Boycott of the Fallen", is upon us, and the first game to ignite it could be none other but Quake Enhanced from Bethesda (with Bethesda account requirement for online).

EDIT: I was not paying attention, it's already a thing (see attached)
Attachments:
Post edited December 06, 2021 by Cadaver747
DaReXX: So, will it at least arrive in 2021 still? Place your bets...
fronzelneekburm: No

The more interesting question would be that when/if it arroves on gog, will it be feature-complete (as in: working multiplayer, Q64 add on)?

To which my bet is also No. (see the post above mine)
Besides having to likely come up w/ DRM-FREE installers for the game and EVERY Add-On here on GOG - they'd have to probably pull the Bethesda.Net required log-in stuff - there's the problem of all of the content and getting it onto the GOG Store.

We've already had Quake 64 & Honey (which are in the add-on sections); and Horde Mode added in Steam versions, Bethesda.Net version, and Epic versions. That's already a few updates there.

Updating the GOG version would be a pain for them, probably due to how different probably the Epic and Steam versions would be. Those versions are probably simple, as they both allow Bethesda.Net and other DRM-server walls there; GOG really doesn't. They probably just make a build of the game for Steam and Epic and then toss the appropriate client-app store DRM junk on top - and are done w/ it over there; all done, all set.

GOG version - eh, not so much. Gamers would flip if Bethesda.Net log-in's are allowed on here, on a supposed DRM-FREE Store like GOG. They'd have to remove that Bethesda log-in crap for every time they do a GOG version.

I would guess, they (Bethesda) would at some point just have to stop updating and adding content to the game at some point, after a while and all - before it even comes to GOG. It just would make sense for Bethesda, Id Software, MachineGames, NightDive, etc - to just probably wait until they finally decide to stop updating Quake: Enhanced everywhere content-wise where DRM and client-server crap log-ins are allowed....then do a GOG Version without the Beth.Net junk and w/ all of the add-ons in one big package there, so they just bring all of the Quake Enhanced content in one big swoop over to GOG and just be done w/ it there.
Post edited December 08, 2021 by MysterD
MysterD: Gamers would flip if Bethesda.Net log-in's are allowed on here, on a supposed DRM-FREE Store like GOG. They'd have to remove that Bethesda log-in crap for every time they do a GOG version.
I don't think there'd be (too many) complaints about a Beth.Net required account for multiplayer (other games already require non-Galaxy accounts, like Stellaris and a Ubisoft game here, can't think of the name), the main problem would be a requirement for single-player of course, like the Hitman situation. Or just cut out the multiplayer entirely.

But I agree that Bethesda probably doesn't want to deal with the hassle of any of that just for GOG, maybe in the future they will like you suggested. They certainly aren't going to bother with DRM-free multiplayer.
tfishell: I don't think there'd be (too many) complaints about a Beth.Net required account for multiplayer (other games already require non-Galaxy accounts, like Stellaris and a Ubisoft game here, can't think of the name), the main problem would be a requirement for single-player of course, like the Hitman situation. Or just cut out the multiplayer entirely.

But I agree that Bethesda probably doesn't want to deal with the hassle of any of that just for GOG, maybe in the future they will like you suggested. They certainly aren't going to bother with DRM-free multiplayer.
Well, as I pointed out before, the singleplayer already *IS* DRM-free of sorts. All you need to do is to create a steamappid.txt that has Quake's app id in it (2310) and put that into the rerelease's folder and BAM! the singleplayer is DRM-free. Just launch it from the exe with Steam off. It'll cry for a moment about not being able to reach Bethesda.net, but it'll launch anyway. As of this moment, I believe you can even launch the Add Ons (I can check back and confirm it later).

In other words, it would take them around 30 seconds to create a DRM-free (of sorts) singleplayer build on gog. This kind of extra work shouldn't be too much of a daunting task for Beth/NightDive, should it?
tfishell: I don't think there'd be (too many) complaints about a Beth.Net required account for multiplayer (other games already require non-Galaxy accounts, like Stellaris and a Ubisoft game here, can't think of the name), the main problem would be a requirement for single-player of course, like the Hitman situation. Or just cut out the multiplayer entirely.

fronzelneekburm: Well, as I pointed out before, the singleplayer already *IS* DRM-free of sorts. All you need to do is to create a steamappid.txt that has Quake's app id in it (2310) and put that into the rerelease's folder and BAM! the singleplayer is DRM-free. Just launch it from the exe with Steam off. It'll cry for a moment about not being able to reach Bethesda.net, but it'll launch anyway. As of this moment, I believe you can even launch the Add Ons (I can check back and confirm it later).

In other words, it would take them around 30 seconds to create a DRM-free (of sorts) singleplayer build on gog. This kind of extra work shouldn't be too much of a daunting task for Beth/NightDive, should it?
We are talking about Night Dive though, the people that think that they can wedge any game into KEX. Even when they happen to have access to the source codes and decide not to use them. Failing miserably at it because of wanting to push it through their engine instead. Was a good company when they still gave a shit about getting games working on modern hardware and not having to rebuild everything from the ground up.

I don't think much has to be said about Beth and their programming skills. They just need an army of fans to finish whatever game they decide to drop the support of after bungling that title for years.
fronzelneekburm: Well, as I pointed out before, the singleplayer already *IS* DRM-free of sorts. All you need to do is to create a steamappid.txt that has Quake's app id in it (2310) and put that into the rerelease's folder and BAM! the singleplayer is DRM-free. Just launch it from the exe with Steam off. It'll cry for a moment about not being able to reach Bethesda.net, but it'll launch anyway. As of this moment, I believe you can even launch the Add Ons (I can check back and confirm it later).

Hmm, well, yeah. If it is that easy, perhaps it's just Bethesda and/or Nightdive not giving a crap about GOG for now, or GOG wanting a version with multiplayer. Maybe we'll get a fresh dump of Bethesda stuff next year at some point. (references to Rage were scraped from GOG's database some time ago)

*shrug*
tfishell: perhaps it's just Bethesda and/or Nightdive not giving a crap
To be honest, I think the various interactions gog users had with Bethesda support and NightDive staff made that abundantly clear.

tfishell: GOG wanting a version with multiplayer
I have something of a radical solution: Gog's entire schtick (apart from DRM-free) used to be: We take care to get old games running properly on modern hardware. Right? Also, from what I can gather from the yearlong delays of games that had Galaxy multiplayer (Dusk and that other game from the Hatred devs), implementing Galaxy multiplayer is a pain in the ass. So, if multiplayer implementation is that much of a problem, gog should have staff specifically to implement that kind of stuff. They don't really release oldies any more, so they could just as well have people working on implementing these sorts of features if the devs can't be bothered to do that themselves because they don't see it as economically viable.

Then again, it seems to me that the multiplayer in the Quake rerelease is specifically designed to lure in new Bethesda.net users... Or maybe Bethesda.net is actually required to handle PC/console crossplay.

It's complicated. But yeah, a singleplayer-only build ought to take them no more than 30 seconds to slap together (maybe a day if they put in the extra effort into it to remove the auto login and various superfluous buttons from the main menu).