It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
high rated
johnnygoging: sorry to read this. I really mean that. this community has lost too many pillars.

[url=http://static4.depositphotos.com/1030387/399/v/950/depositphotos_3990647-Sexy-Pineapple.jpg ]cheer up buddy[/url]
Thanks for that, it made me chukle. I'm saving that on my pineapple collection, at least I got something out of this whole thing.
high rated
skeletonbow: Fortunately, GOG uses Innosetup which is free software, and there are 3rd party free utilities that can be used to decompose the GOG installers, modify the contents and repackage them up as custom installer packages.
That probably won't be hard to do. And I'm quite sure it will be done when GOG insists on this change. But that's not the point. I buy my games on GOG because I want an offline installer which just installs the game on my system and nothing else. And exactly this without me having to check or uncheck options or even tinker around with the installer.
skeletonbow: Fortunately, GOG uses Innosetup which is free software, and there are 3rd party free utilities that can be used to decompose the GOG installers, modify the contents and repackage them up as custom installer packages.
eiii: That probably won't be hard to do. And I'm quite sure it will be done when GOG insists on this change. But that's not the point. I buy my games on GOG because I want an offline installer which just installs the game on my system and nothing else. And exactly this without me having to check or uncheck options or even tinker around with the installer.
If GOG's cred dips much lower, the pirates will be standing on higher ground.
high rated
Lemon_Curry: Me too. It's nothing but tiring and I'm even rather disappointed and saddened to see fables22 partake in the grand tradition of GOOD NEWS™ rhetoric (although it shouldn't surprise me in the least - she does work for GOG, after all).
Poor Fables. I imagine yesterday must have been one hell of a day at the office:

GOG Management: Fables, we want you to make this announcement on the forum.

Fables22: [reads announcement] You can't be serious? They'll rip me to shreds! They'll travel to Warsaw with torches and pitchforks and burn down the offices! Please reconsider this!

GOG Management: Shut up and do as you're told! This is what we hired you for. Oh, and don't make the thread blue. We don't want to draw attention to it, we just want to be able to say that we informed people ahead of time.

Fables22: [mumbles] I think "attention" is going to be an understatement...

GOG Management: What was that?

Fables22: [sighs] Yes, Sir...
high rated
Wishbone: ...Oh, and don't make the thread blue. We don't want to draw attention to it, we just want to be able to say that we informed people ahead of time.
THAT.
high rated
Wishbone: Poor Fables. I imagine yesterday must have been one hell of a day at the office:
I don't. She opened created the thread in the late afternoon, made a couple bullshit post in a vain attempt to justify it, and then left us to tire ourselves complaining and went home. Easy money.
high rated
WTF? Please, don't let this lead to a non-optional client, there's so little options for DRM free gaming out there. I don't want to go the Humble DRM free installers route or worst case scenario, back to consoles.

For fuck's sake this is the worst Good News™ I've seen here it's bloody depressing
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

OK, enough jokes.
In all honesty, I'm not terribly pissed about it if one can truly choose to not install Galaxy.
But GOG is starting to seriously test the patience of the users who helped to make the site what it is today.
What will the future bring us next? Who knows.
The reddit discussion on this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6a5hve/offline_installers_with_an_option_to_install_gog/

No idea how the people on Twitch, Twitter and other crap reacted to this, my guess is that the reactions there weigh more though since GOG repeatedly practically admitted that the dusty old boards here are of low priority and are kind of a hospice for the old userbase.
Klumpen0815: The reddit discussion on this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6a5hve/offline_installers_with_an_option_to_install_gog/

No idea how the people on Twitch, Twitter and other crap reacted to this, my guess is that the reactions there weigh more though since GOG repeatedly practically admitted that the dusty old boards here are of low priority and are kind of a hospice for the old userbase.
Another thread about this mess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gog/comments/6a5hh6/offline_installers_with_an_option_to_install_gog/
high rated
This sounds like a terrible idea.

I'm starting to assume that the words "Galaxy will always be optional" now have a slightly different meaning:

"You now have the option to get Galaxy from the GOG site, or the option to get it from a game installer. Which option do you want?" :-P
Post edited May 10, 2017 by blakstar
high rated
Laughing loud about the REDDIT-postings: "Oh yes, it is still optional!"
Reminds me in some ways to some situations in classic animations where animals talk to each other, that for example the farmer won't come up with his tractor: "Nah, you are talking nonsense!" "Really, I have seen him at the borders of the field yesterday, watching." Oh yes, it is still optional, of course. And a checkbox is proof enough for this. Okay, everybody here is overreacting and in some way dumb. But hey, let's pump up the installer size, just making more bloatware within. ;-)
throgh: Laughing loud about the REDDIT-postings: "Oh yes, it is still optional!"
Reminds me in some ways to some situations in classic animations where animals talk to each other, that for example the farmer won't come up with his tractor: "Nah, you are talking nonsense!" "Really, I have seen him at the borders of the field yesterday, watching." Oh yes, it is still optional, of course. And a checkbox is proof enough for this. Okay, everybody here is overreacting and in some way dumb. But hey, let's pump up the installer size, just making more bloatware within. ;-)
No, according to reddit we are not dumb, we are retarded.
throgh: Okay, everybody here is overreacting and in some way dumb. But hey, let's pump up the installer size, just making more bloatware within. ;-)
Mmmmmm.
high rated
Did somebody make a Downfall parody like the last time? It was so good I would like to see a new one now.