It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
P1na: This really got to me this time. It may just be par for the course for current GOG, but I had a rather terrible day and this just finished me tonight. I can't stop thinking about it and it's just getting me more and more down. So thanks for that.
I'm sorry. I'm not sure that this will help you in any way, but I'm feeling the same way. I've had a terrible Friday that started rather nicely, but the ending was horrible and lasted until Monday evening.
high rated
Remember when GOG was about fair pricing, DRM-Free, power to the customers and making really old games run flawlessly?
I sure am having problems...
high rated
skeletonbow: One of the things I've always found appealing about GOG which was one of their strengths as a company to me, was how their decisions tended to be pro-consumer and they tended to interact with their customers in a variety of ways and make good decisions overall that are pro-gamer because they themselves at GOG were gamers too, so they tended to know what people wanted and what was a good way to go about various things, as well as how to make compromises about things that add conveniences for some while simultaneously reducing inconvenience for others.
Exactly, those were the days.

P1na: I'm honestly tired of having to deal with the constant stream of good news™. Every time I stretch my tolerance because I want to like GOG, and every time GOG pushes further. I really don't want to deal with this anymore, I just want a place to get offline installers to keep on my precious storage hard drive. Please let me do that in peace. Pretty please?
Me too. It's nothing but tiring and I'm even rather disappointed and saddened to see fables22 partake in the grand tradition of GOOD NEWS™ rhetoric (although it shouldn't surprise me in the least - she does work for GOG, after all).

Crazy cool pineapple hugs all round! :)
Post edited May 10, 2017 by Lemon_Curry
WinterSnowfall: I understand that perhaps the rate of adoption for Galaxy might not be up to the level GOG management wants it to be, but this should already send a clear signal - pulling this opt-out behavioral economics stunt in order to get an increased client usage and promoting it as a "convenience"/"hassle-free" feature for new & inexperienced users... feels very un-GOG like, at least unlike the GOG I've signed up for years ago.
Yea I'm against this in current form, but let's get real... Galaxy adoption is fine. Witcher 3 seen to that and the stats support it being a huge success for GOG. There financial reports even stated that much. A lot of forum users might complain about it, but most people are happy with it and don't care to use the forum/site.

We can just chalk this up to GOG making a poor choice, it's quite common for some reason. They love giving us what we aren't really asking for, but to hell with what we do actually want.
high rated
P1na: This really got to me this time. It may just be par for the course for current GOG, but I had a rather terrible day and this just finished me tonight. I can't stop thinking about it and it's just getting me more and more down. So thanks for that.

I came to the site for the old games working nicely on newer systems. I stayed for the nicely packaged installers and great community. Now I'm convinced I will leave because of bullshit moves like this one. You may still backtrack from this, and I may put up with this one, but if I stay it will be the next one. Because there will be a next one. And I don't know if I want to stay around to feel like this once again.

And to think I was excited about the galaxy "universal" cloud saves. I even installed the thing. Fuck.
sorry to read this. I really mean that. this community has lost too many pillars.

cheer up buddy
high rated
fables22: As for the option being opted in as default - after careful consideration, we've decided to go with this because we believe that it's easier for an experienced user to uncheck the box than it would be for a new user to figure out how to turn the feature on.
Which basically means GOG just publicly announced they think of their customers as complete mindless idiots who can't even choose on their own what they want and need to be spoonfed what you deem to be the "right way".

Oh, and nevermind those who do NOT want to install any additional clients or other crapware, or the hassle of disagreeing to it every time they install one of your games.
low rated
javihyuga: Remember when GOG was about fair pricing, DRM-Free, power to the customers and making really old games run flawlessly?
So what's getting your goat here? The fact that the offline installers will get 1 or 2 megabytes larger? The fact that you'll have to uncheck a box if you don't want to use Galaxy?

Galaxy isn't DRM btw. It's a convience feature that is light on system resources and updates your games for you as well as offering access to the store, your library, the forums, etc. and now also has options like cloud saves.

Nothing is being taken away from you here. The games are still all DRM free. The client, which isn't DRM, is still optional. You can still download offline installers. All just like always.

The only the thing that has changed is that you must uncheck a box if you don't want Galaxy. One click per game. If you don't like that then fine, I get it, but don't act like the sky is falling, you sound like chicken little.

They've put a lot of work into Galaxy and it's a really good client. Takes up very little system resources and does a great job of keeping your games up to date. It adds no DRM. It makes sense that they want to give people a chance to use it. If they choose to.
high rated
I have to agree with the general opinion in the thread.

I’m a galaxy user but I don’t think this is a good idea. I don’t like when any software tries to do this, let the user decide if they want to install anything, this should be and opt-in by default.
There is enough promotion of galaxy in the website already, even when I download from gog.com there is a nice “Try GOG Galaxy” in every game I have in the library.

I don’t like to have galaxy with the installers either.
I usually download the offline installer, copy it to my backup hdd, install the game and let galaxy find it. This new “feature” don’t have any use to me only a possible increase in size.

Yes, I’ve read the comment Fables did about that they are working to make the installers smaller but, why not make the installers even smaller because they don’t have something that I don’t need since I’m already using and it’s not essential to install and play the game?

The only reason to include galaxy by default is for those games where is needed for the multiplayer, this is the only thing I can think right now.
high rated
javihyuga: Remember when GOG was about fair pricing, DRM-Free, power to the customers and making really old games run flawlessly?
Mygaffer: So what's getting your goat here? The fact that the offline installers will get 1 or 2 megabytes larger? The fact that you'll have to uncheck a box if you don't want to use Galaxy?

Galaxy isn't DRM btw. It's a convience feature that is light on system resources and updates your games for you as well as offering access to the store, your library, the forums, etc. and now also has options like cloud saves.

Nothing is being taken away from you here. The games are still all DRM free. The client, which isn't DRM, is still optional. You can still download offline installers. All just like always.

The only the thing that has changed is that you must uncheck a box if you don't want Galaxy. One click per game. If you don't like that then fine, I get it, but don't act like the sky is falling, you sound like chicken little.

They've put a lot of work into Galaxy and it's a really good client. Takes up very little system resources and does a great job of keeping your games up to date. It adds no DRM. It makes sense that they want to give people a chance to use it. If they choose to.
Or they could just take that chance by clicking a galaxy link on the front page?
high rated
https://s10.postimg.org/5rmxecwtj/cat.jpg
high rated
BKGaming: Yea I'm against this in current form, but let's get real... Galaxy adoption is fine. Witcher 3 seen to that and the stats support it being a huge success for GOG. There financial reports even stated that much. A lot of forum users might complain about it, but most people are happy with it and don't care to use the forum/site.

We can just chalk this up to GOG making a poor choice, it's quite common for some reason. They love giving us what we aren't really asking for, but to hell with what we do actually want.
It is a poor choice, but I don't think it's an uninformed poor choice. Some people have thought about it and it's part of a larger overall strategy. You have to remember GOG is acting in what (they think) is their own interest, so they are looking to get something out of this new approach.

And I agree with you, Galaxy adoption is "fine", but have you ever heard a corporate decision maker settling with "fine" when it can always get "better"™?
high rated
Mygaffer: It makes sense that they want to give people a chance to use it. If they choose to.
It would make sense if they actually let customers choose for themselves instead of installing it against our will unless we uncheck the box on every single installation. Typical malware/crapware behavior.

But they have already announced that they have think the average GOG customer basically doesn't have the brain capacity to choose on their own if they actually want that client.
high rated
This is awful. Please stop trying to push the "optional" client so hard. Many of us came to GOG so that we don't have to deal with being pestered by client software. This will inconvenience everyone who just wants an installer by nagging about Galaxy every time a game is installed.
high rated
WinterSnowfall: I understand that perhaps the rate of adoption for Galaxy might not be up to the level GOG management wants it to be, but this should already send a clear signal - pulling this opt-out behavioral economics stunt in order to get an increased client usage and promoting it as a "convenience"/"hassle-free" feature for new & inexperienced users... feels very un-GOG like, at least unlike the GOG I've signed up for years ago.
BKGaming: Yea I'm against this in current form, but let's get real... Galaxy adoption is fine. Witcher 3 seen to that and the stats support it being a huge success for GOG. There financial reports even stated that much. A lot of forum users might complain about it, but most people are happy with it and don't care to use the forum/site.

Steam does Steam infinitely better than GOG does.
Mygaffer: blablablabla
You totally missed the point.
And BTW I do use Galaxy. Only sometimes, because it's not useful for me and because GOG Downloader is no longer an option. But I do use it ;)