It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
low rated
PaterAlf: Yes, I have to. Having to do extra-clicks every to get the classic installers every single time a game is updated is nothing else then opting-out every single time.
I think it's stretching out the definition a little too thin in my opinion, like I said in another before if you go that way you could consider that going to the website, going to collection, going to the games, downloading all the game files, all that can also be considered as "opting out" of using Galaxy, and that even before the introduction of the double installers.

And if you want to count the number of clicks then downloading the offline installers will always takes a tons of more clicks compared to the two or three clicks that are required to install a game through Galaxy. It already takes a minimum of 13 clicks to download Witcher 3 installers, having two more for the classic installers doesn't really change that much.

The main issue of this thread was having Galaxy bundled in all installers and having to opt-out during installation; both issues are corrected by the classic installers.

PaterAlf: No reason for cursing or name-calling, but I really have to wonder why GOG can never do anything right right from the start.
Well, sadly, Gog has never being very good when it come to the website or forum software and adding new features there. Hopefully the new version they are working on will improve things but I won't hold my breath.
Post edited July 07, 2017 by Gersen
high rated
Gersen: The main issue of this thread was having Galaxy bundled in all installers and having to opt-out during installation; both issues are corrected by the classic installers.
No.. the main issue is does GOG does not act according its principles and promises.

If you didn't aknowledge and accept an already expressed decision but keep on asking and purposefully design the whole process so we probably will slip at some time i consider that as more than offensive.

This whole shitshow just shows to me does the whole DRM thing is nothing more than a marketing stunt today with no values behind it.

I personaly strongly believe GOG has abandoned ALL values it once hold.. and it will drop any "promise" they formaly abide at this date (DRM; Galaxy beeing "optional") when they see fit.

How this whole fucking Galaxy-Bundlecrap is implemented and purposefully any constructive and in any way better suggestions from the community are ignored is just disgustingly offensive to me.

If you are willing to ignore all those problems because Galaxy is still optional (they advertised it as FULLY optional at a point which by this action is CLEARLY broken) if you do this and that and watch where you click and search where you get what you want.. then you are why the industry where it is today.
We have customer unfriendly DRM.
We have customer unfriendly return policies.
We have no ownership of digital goods.
We have broken early access.

and so on...
This whole industry is rotten in the core and the customer and its rights are treatet like shit.. and interestingly.. the majority of people like the taste of it.

Noone believes this bullshit does the poor customers can not find the download link for Galaxy and resorting to shady bundleware tactics is the ONLY and BEST way to solve this.
The REAL problem is they want Galaxy installed on more Computers because they need it to grow the platform and make money and for whatever plans the didn't told us.
Post edited July 07, 2017 by Executer
Gersen: Again, you have an installer not bundled with Galaxy available, so you don't have to opt-out or even opt-in anything. Just download the classic installer.
Breja: Yes, we do. Choosing the classic downloaders every time is really no different then opting-out every time during installation.

Also, mr. Corporate Stooge, would you care maybe adress any of my points I made here, which you conveniently ignore?
Right on Breja!

I don't think he realises!

Personally I'm getting tired of direction gog is taking. I'm thinking of being a console peasant. (Non-Microsoft) of course!

Oh yes almost forgot. There will be no Witcher 3 on Linux because Microsoft said so! There you go and I feel bad for gOg and all of us good spirited gamers.
BKGaming: For all we know they could be getting a butch of support request per day from people who installed their games via standalone installers and are wondering why they don't have access to cloud saves, etc.

It's also likley that if that was the case, this could be GOG's reasonable response to cut down on those type of support request which overall slow down GOG support.
That's an interesting possibility, but if something like this is true, I wonder why GOG couldn't have been more open about their reasoning for doing this. I think people would have been more empathetic if it had to do with something like Support being overwhelmed.

And I'm trying to understand the value of bundling Galaxy with the installers, instead of including a banner image + link one can click on that automatically starts downloading Galaxy if connected to the internet.

Executer: This whole shitshow just shows to me does the whole DRM thing is nothing more than a marketing stunt today with no values behind it.
Was it ever anything really more than a marketing stunt, though? GOG has always been a business here to make money - they started as Good Old Games because that was a good niche nobody else was doing; then they focused on DRM-free because Steam started getting old games too; now I think they're focusing on "actual competition to Steam".

I don't mean to seem like I support bundling Galaxy, especially with no button to select Galaxy-free installers only.

NovumZ: Personally I'm getting tired of direction gog is taking. I'm thinking of being a console peasant. (Non-Microsoft) of course!
You know there are other DRM-free services, right? Tiny compared to GOG and Steam, but they exist.
Post edited July 07, 2017 by tfishell
high rated
Gersen: Again, you have an installer not bundled with Galaxy available, so you don't have to opt-out or even opt-in anything. Just download the classic installer.
You have to specifically pay attention to the fine text on the download pop-up, then specifically select the clean installer from the menu. That is a mandatory opt-out by any sane definition.
Gersen: Concerning "opt-out", I am not a huge fan but it's nothing new nor "shady" it's used by Ms, Adobe, Google, and tons of others including some open source projects, as long as the option is still there and it's not hidden behind twenty screens I don't really mind.
I'm sorry, but the fact that some do unscrupulous things doesn't give anyone else a free pass. That's some shill level handwaving you're doing though.
Breja: That's what quotation marks look like in Poland. The first one is put "upside down" by your standards.
zeogold: You people scare me.
Although it admittedly feels kinda weird for the staff to start using Polish quotation marks out of the blue when everywhere else they use them normally.
"Low-high" quotation marks are used in several countries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Summary_table
'scuse me for not going through this whole mess now, but did blues give an ETA for adding a profile setting that makes sure you get the classic installers as primary?
Because anything but that is irrelevant, and there can be absolutely no justification not to do it.
high rated
elcook: [...] Which kind of installer is downloaded via Galaxy?
If you download a game via GOG Galaxy, you will get the classic installer. Since you're already using GOG Galaxy there's no reason for you to download the installer with the client.[...]
I rest my case. I guess that thanks to the GOG Galaxy users are in order, for if it weren't for them we'd probably have only the Galaxy-bundled installers now.

I will however add my voice to those requesting an option to set the view permanently to the non-Galaxy-bundled installers, as well as to those wanting an answer as to if this will be implemented. If yes, when can we expect it, and if no, why not?

Gersen: [...] what point exactly ?

That peoples who don't care about the classic installer, as in the peoples for whom Gog decide to bundle Galaxy in the first place (because they are most likely also the peoples who don't know how to manually download patch), will most likely end up downloading the Galaxy-bundled... well thank you Mr. Obvious that's kind of the whole point.
This one:
However, there is no information that other installers exist, not to mention where can they be found.

They can be found under "more" as "classic installers" which of course doesn't mean jack shit to anyone who has not seen this thread, and if they have not, they will never find that option anyway unless they are clairvoyant.

This includes new users, and any present/old users who don't frequent the forum or missed this thread, as it isn't even stickied, nor was there any announcement about this made outside of it.
Not all of GOG's new users are, or will be, tech challenged enough to rely on the client for everything, and may well be interested in the non-Galaxy-bundled installers. And not every current GOG user that wants the clean standalone installers as they've known them for years has, or has to have, followed this thread - example.

The way it's been implemented, with no info about the existence of the non-Galaxy-bundled installers in the default details of games, is more akin to hiding them.

This is on top, and probably a more serious issue, of not offering an option to permanently have the non-Galaxy-bundled installers show in one's library (and not even commenting on it, even though they acknowledge feedback has been provided) which for all intents and purposes equals the same opt-out issue we'd have if only Galaxy-bundled installers were offered.

I'd like to think that you actually don't see it, but I'm not sure that it's actually the case.
Cavalary: 'scuse me for not going through this whole mess now, but did blues give an ETA for adding a profile setting that makes sure you get the classic installers as primary?
Nope:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/offline_installers_with_an_option_to_install_gog_galaxy?staff=yes
Of course they didn't because that wouldn't be Galaxy-friendly™.
Cavalary: 'scuse me for not going through this whole mess now, but did blues give an ETA for adding a profile setting that makes sure you get the classic installers as primary?
Because anything but that is irrelevant, and there can be absolutely no justification not to do it.
Not only don't we have an ETA, but so far GOG hasn't made any sort of comment on this matter.
just succumb to Galaxy...
low rated
fables22:
LOL. Shut the fuck up NaziCiris.

I call you that because you're every bit the fucking idiot, with the added benefit of calling for the gassing of Jewish people. :)
high rated
fables22:
budejovice: LOL. Shut the fuck up NaziCiris.

I call you that because you're every bit the fucking idiot, with the added benefit of calling for the gassing of Jewish people. :)
You are way out of line with your choice of words. If you cannot contribute in a level-headed manner at all, stop.
high rated
fables22:
budejovice: LOL. Shut the fuck up NaziCiris.

Madam Chairwoman, I would just like to state for the record that this person in no way represents the rest of the angry mob. Thank you.
budejovice: <intolerable comment>
There is the door, close it from the outside, thanks.