It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
high rated
Option to PIN classic

Colour code Galaxy installers purple aka make the different installers more noticeable
Why are GOG seemingly so desperate to push Galaxy onto us? Is it because they aren't getting as big as they'd thought they'd be by now? :P While Steam grows bigger and bigger, GOG stays the same size, only rising occasionally when they release an exclusive classic then back down into the depths again?
tfishell: Why are GOG seemingly so desperate to push Galaxy onto us? Is it because they aren't getting as big as they'd thought they'd be by now? :P While Steam grows bigger and bigger, GOG stays the same size, only rising occasionally when they release an exclusive classic then back down into the depths again?
Exactly what I was thinking, GOG still thinks galaxy is what will make all the big devs start thinking on putting there IP here but almost 70% or more of us don't even really need this at all. so let's see how this goes overtime and gog needs to start trying on getting more bigger games and maybe just maybe take indie games a break for a bit? cause my god man indie baloooza over here lol
tfishell: Why are GOG seemingly so desperate to push Galaxy onto us? Is it because they aren't getting as big as they'd thought they'd be by now? :P While Steam grows bigger and bigger, GOG stays the same size, only rising occasionally when they release an exclusive classic then back down into the depths again?
UnrealQuakie: Exactly what I was thinking, GOG still thinks galaxy is what will make all the big devs start thinking on putting there IP here but almost 70% or more of us don't even really need this at all. so let's see how this goes overtime and gog needs to start trying on getting more bigger games and maybe just maybe take indie games a break for a bit? cause my god man indie baloooza over here lol
I wouldn't bet on it. The info we do have access to suggest Galaxy has been successful for them. Nearly 700K people played Witcher 3 via Galaxy and if GOG only mangaged to retain a fraction of that... that's pretty good numbers. Gwent also seems to be doing well for them with Galaxy.

One has to remember this community is a very small segment of the overall GOG userbase, more than likley based on what little info we have, it seems like most of GOG's overall userbase does use Galaxy.

And we have gotten a lot of IP's since Galaxy and the Witcher 3 released, IP's like Obivion and Fallout New Vegas, Saints Row 4... games many thought GOG would not get to be fair.

Breja: It's not worse than the initial plan, no one is saying that. But it's a nonsensical solution to a problem that didn't even exist until GOG created it.
Again to be fair, it's kind of hard to know that. I would assume GOG would have some actual data to suggest that people using the standalone installers have a hard time finding and using Galaxy. For all we know they could be getting a butch of support request per day from people who installed their games via standalone installers and are wondering why they don't have access to cloud saves, etc.

It's also likley that if that was the case, this could be GOG's reasonable response to cut down on those type of support request which overall slow down GOG support.

Not that I agree completly with how they implented this change...
Post edited July 07, 2017 by BKGaming
UnrealQuakie: Exactly what I was thinking, GOG still thinks galaxy is what will make all the big devs start thinking on putting there IP here
But...it's working, though. I mean, as much as we all hate Galaxy and don't want to admit this, it's impossible to deny that it IS working as a tool to convince devs to come here. It's not necessarily working at a very big speed or whatever, but it's better than it was before.
So far as indies go, I'm gonna get hate dumped on me for this, but I disagree. So long as they're not some sort of Greenlight-level obvi-scams, we need whatever we can get here. More options is never a bad thing. GOG not pulling in more indies isn't going to somehow magically make them draw in more big-name games. There's literally no downside to it save for another 5 or 6 forum members wailing in misery about how all the old games are gone and GOG is now Steam and everything good and perfect in the world has been tainted.
Post edited July 07, 2017 by zeogold
high rated
Ah, so you're blundering ahead full retard with this horrendous idea I see...

Totally isn't going to be a confusing, convoluted waste of time and resources or anything... Let's just see how long these "classic" installers continue to be updated and released.

Oh, and the fact you don't let us pin the classic installers to the download menu? Total dick move.
Post edited July 07, 2017 by ReynardFox
high rated
Breja: Now just think for a moment, how much more convenient it would be for us, if we could be given the option to set what we want to be the default download. Anyone who doesn't want to use Galaxy shouldn't have to swith to the classic installers every single time, and anyone who uses the Galaxy download once, will not need to do so again, so if they are afterwards looking for downloads through their library it will be to back up the offline installers.
^This!

Please save my settings. It shouldn't be necessary to switch to the classic installers every single time I want to download a file. And if I really have to do that, the solution isn't much better than the first one where we were supposed to uncheck the Galaxy box every single time we want to install something from the offline installers.
low rated
Executer: i have no hope in GOG... i am not even angry or sad anymore.. its just pathetic...
Why ? because they kept their promise and released installers without Galaxy ?
high rated
Thank you for your feedback folks! There are some questions popping up here in the thread so let me quickly get you some answers.

Which kind of installer is downloaded via Galaxy?
If you download a game via GOG Galaxy, you will get the classic installer. Since you're already using GOG Galaxy there's no reason for you to download the installer with the client.

Which kind of installer is downloaded via GOG Downloader?
The GOG Downloader is linked to the Classic Game Installers.

How to recognize if the installer file I'm downloading has GOG Galaxy or not?
As noted by some users, the installer files with GOG Galaxy have the (g) at the very end of the file name.

We've named the installers clearly, and the names are clearly visible on the game view in "My account". It's not our intention to hide it in a small text at the very bottom, which no one reads.
We're still working on making the super-small GOG Galaxy file, but it will take a bit more time. Will definitely let you know when it happens.
As febles22 wrote in her post, Classic Game Installers will be kept up to date, like it was done before, along the GOG Galaxy Game Installers.
Breja: Seems nothing GOG has already done, nor even this whole debacle right here, can convince some people, and eventually those willfully ignorant "rational" loyal to a fault customers will be what will allow GOG to succesfully go full Steam.
They promised a Galaxy free installer would be available on top of the Galaxy bundled one and what did they dare do ? they kept their promise and did it; you are right people really need to be dense and ignorant to not notice how them keeping their promise makes them so incredibly evil.

Seriously, complaining about the bundled installers is one thing, and as somebody who backup my installer having 100MB+ per installer would have annoyed me too, but raging because they dared not chose "your" solution and committed the heinous crime of using another one instead is getting silly.

In the end it is still possible to download an installer without Galaxy exactly as before, isn't it what most peoples wanted in this thread ?
Post edited July 07, 2017 by Gersen
high rated
Executer: i have no hope in GOG... i am not even angry or sad anymore.. its just pathetic...
Gersen: Why ? because they kept their promise and released installers without Galaxy ?
The promise is "Galaxy will always be optional".
How much is a promise worth if you clearly try to circumvent a promise you gave?
Executer: The promise is "Galaxy will always be optional".
How much is a promise worth if you clearly try to circumvent a promise you gave?
You can play all the games without it (Except when it's a multiplayer only beta, aka Gwent), you can download installer without it bundled, and even if you download the installers with it bundled you still have the option of not installing it.

How is it not optional ?
Post edited July 07, 2017 by Gersen
high rated
I have to congratulate GOG on creating a problem where none previously existed =D

I thought the change to Heroes Chronicles was the daftest thing I'd seen.

The installer size increased by a factor of around 5 (....for Galaxies benefit)

But this now takes the award.

Personally I think there's other areas of the site to be worked on which people would appreciate more i.e:
> Faster game updates vs steam for newly released games
> More games from the wishlist
> More games on connect.

But what do I know.

With two sets of installers to maintain you've now got twice the work for no gain. Presumably you'll update everything again when you create this small bundled Galaxy installer. Maybe we'll end up with 3 types of installers; at least we're getting plenty of choice =P

This is just like when the v1.x installers were bundled with that PDF viewer that nobody wanted.

On the plus side the game installer names actually follow the version numbering of the actual game.
Post edited July 07, 2017 by mwnn
Gersen: In the end it is still possible to download an installed without Galaxy exactly as before, isn't it what most peoples wanted in this thread ?
Actually not just that but, with the GOG downloader linked to the classic files, the default download process hasn't changed at all for many, possibly most of, the anti-galaxy users.

So yeah, pretty much a happy end there. Actually much happier than I expected (I thought it would require one more click somewhere). But let's see about the thread's momentum...
elcook: As febles22 wrote in her post
I see there's some shade being thrown on the PR team.