It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
Gersen: How is it not optional ?
Galaxy will still be "optional" if it gets automatically installed with every installation of a game from GOG but you have to uninstall Galaxy manually afterwards.
low rated
Gersen: How is it not optional ?
Executer: Galaxy will still be "optional" if it gets automatically installed with every installation of a game from GOG but you have to uninstall Galaxy manually afterwards.
It's not the case, neither with the classic not the new installer (if you chose to opt out), so what exactly is your point ?
Post edited July 07, 2017 by Gersen
high rated
elcook: *snip*
Thank you for answering questions.

Here's another one: Will you give us the option to save the setting for our preferred installer type (could be easily done via settings, the same way prefereed language and currency is saved)? Would make things much easier for people who willingly chose to not use Galxy.
high rated
Executer: Galaxy will still be "optional" if it gets automatically installed with every installation of a game from GOG but you have to uninstall Galaxy manually afterwards.
Gersen: It's not the case, neither with the classic not the new installer (if you chose to opt out), so what exactly is your point ?
You can express yourself much better in english than i can. How is it you don't see how the implemention of this Optout is "suboptimal" or can even be considered shady?

Edit...
SIR i gratulate you.. you have won this argument i give up :)
GOG has no values anymore anyway.. only "promises" they are actively curcumventing against the customers interest.

PaterAlf: Here's another one: Will you give us the option to save the setting for our preferred installer type (could be easily done via settings, the same way prefereed language and currency is saved)? Would make things much easier for people who willingly chose to not use Galxy.
Only if they are forced to... as the point is does as much as possible users end up with Galaxy installed even if by accident or against their will.
Post edited July 07, 2017 by Executer
high rated
elcook: We're still working on making the super-small GOG Galaxy file, but it will take a bit more time. Will definitely let you know when it happens.
Let me (once more) suggest the following as a method for the installers.
Have two exe files for the setup, one with and one without galaxy. Both these exe files use the same .bin file(s) for the game files. If you need to do changes to the installers, only the .exe files change. If you need to do changes to the game files, only the .bin files change (though it would probably be a good idea to also change the .exe files to look for the newer .bin files).
It would need to recreate the installer creation process, but it should result in a better end result, and possibly better workflow.
JMich: Let me (once more) suggest the following as a method for the installers.
Have two exe files for the setup, one with and one without galaxy. Both these exe files use the same .bin file(s) for the game files. If you need to do changes to the installers, only the .exe files change. If you need to do changes to the game files, only the .bin files change (though it would probably be a good idea to also change the .exe files to look for the newer .bin files).
It would need to recreate the installer creation process, but it should result in a better end result, and possibly better workflow.
That would be ideal but I don't believe that innoSetup allows for this possibility.

All the game files are packed into split BIN files when the script is compiled.

Even making a small change to the script means you end up repacking the whole thing.

You can make the installer run other executables post-install but I've not seen the option to split the setup EXE that's generated into two.

They'd likely have to use another system entirely.
Post edited July 07, 2017 by mwnn
high rated
PaterAlf: Here's another one: Will you give us the option to save the setting for our preferred installer type (could be easily done via settings, the same way prefereed language and currency is saved)? Would make things much easier for people who willingly chose to not use Galxy.
This. So much this.
high rated
I have a very simple suggestion. The simplest possible one. It doesn't exactly fix everything about this nonsense, but it would help a little.

Put the "The above installer includes GOG Galaxy client for the full experience and the best support of all features for the game, including: auto-updates, achievements." text above the installers instead of below, increase the font size by a point or two, and add to it an information "up-to date installers without the Galaxy client can be found under More -> Classic Installers".

There. It's much more fair, it gives everyone the information right now only available in this thread, it minimizes the chance of somone being inconvenienced by downloading Galaxy by mistake (becasue that's not what you want, right?) and it doesn't require anything that should be effort or time consuming even for the GOG web team.
mwnn: That would be ideal but I don't believe that innoSetup allows for this possibility.
Considering that at some point the .bin files of some games were just password protected .rar files, innoSetup does allow for that possibility, it just doesn't give you files you can extract with innoExtract and the like.
high rated
I still don't see much of a point to this as there's already a separate Galaxy installer and no-one is going to need to install Galaxy every time they download a new game. The inconvenience it causes is not worth it and makes things unnecessarily confusing, while also giving the impression that GOG is trying to get rid of the regular installer. Calling it the classical installer also makes it look even more suspicious as classical implies unchanging, rather than something that is being kept up to date.

If you want to avoid over complicating matters while further pushing for Galaxy, wait until until you've made the small Galaxy file and then put it in the regular download menu in addition to the normal installer and the Try Galaxy button.

JMich: Let me (once more) suggest the following as a method for the installers.
This could also work and then you wouldn't even need a separate tab for the Galaxy and regular installers while reducing the workload and number of potential things that can go wrong.
high rated
elcook: Which kind of installer is downloaded via Galaxy?
If you download a game via GOG Galaxy, you will get the classic installer. Since you're already using GOG Galaxy there's no reason for you to download the installer with the client.
So, we don't need a Galaxy installer when we obviously have it, but when we obviously don't want it and use website do download installers, we get Galaxy by default and have to specifically take actions to opt out? What kind of twisted reasoning is that?
elcook: Which kind of installer is downloaded via GOG Downloader?
The GOG Downloader is linked to the Classic Game Installers.
Thank you for confirming this.
high rated
Disgusting behavior by GOG.
I guess success has played with your minds.
When you were starting you played all nice and honorable. Now you shit where you eat.
You announce something terrible just so that you appear all nice and reasonable when you deploy the bad after "helpful communication with the customers".

Pushing the client like MS is pushing Windows 10. "It's all for your own good" BS.
You treat your customers like they are the most stupid people in the world. They couldn't possibly figure out there is a client unless you shoved it down their throats. I guess the majority of your customers are too stupid to read, or at least that's how you see them...
Of course that's not the case. It's just that you want to push your client for your own nefarious reasons and you just put the blame on the "stupid" customers.
Then you basically say to those who disagree with your push of the client that since they are so smart, they just have to go to options and choose to download the classic installers from there. "you are so clever, you won't have a problem with that"
Cunning indeed.

Of course when one goes to download the game has a very nice text at the bottom saying how uber cool the client is and how it cures cancer or something. Yet, nothing, no text, no link in the same page about even the existence of the "classic installers".

Obviously you couldn't have the links for both versions in the same page under a different sub-title/section. But you couldn't even have a message there is a non client infested version? Of course not, that would be counter productive in pushing the malware, I mean client.

Not even the option per account to default to non galaxy installers.

You have become quite the assholes over there. Success has rotted your brains.

I guess power corrupts even in the game download world.
So they actually implemented that stupid idea and wasted resources on it which would have been needed so urgently in many other places on GOG...

DoctorGOGgles: The installers with Galaxy included have _(g) added to their filenames, so for Witcher 3 GOTY:
That's at least some good news. It makes it much easier to decide what to delete after the download when it's used consistently.
Post edited July 07, 2017 by eiii
low rated
Executer: You can express yourself much better in english than i can. How is it you don't see how the implemention of this Optout is "suboptimal" or can even be considered shady?
Again, you have an installer not bundled with Galaxy available, so you don't have to opt-out or even opt-in anything. Just download the classic installer.

Concerning "opt-out", I am not a huge fan but it's nothing new nor "shady" it's used by Ms, Adobe, Google, and tons of others including some open source projects, as long as the option is still there and it's not hidden behind twenty screens I don't really mind.