It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Building castles in the sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open-space exploration game in a procedurally-generated universe, just received a massive update appropriately named NEXT.

It brings a whole bunch of changes and additions across the board, most notably:

- Option to switch between first and third person view at will
- Visual upgrades to ships, NPCs, buildings, terrain textures, space vistas - pretty much everything
- You can now build far more complex bases anywhere on the planet
- Build your own fleet, upgrade it, and send it out or keep it close while exploring a system

The multiplayer element of NEXT is not yet included in the DRM-free edition of the game. Read more about the delay below:

"[i]From launch, the DRM-free edition of No Man's Sky will include all single-player content introduced by NEXT: third-person mode, upgraded visuals, better base building, player customization, and more.

However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.

For a small, independent studio, developing the feature across multiple platforms is a hugely ambitious and technical challenge which resulted in this delayed release. Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform.

We appreciate your immense support and patience.

- Hello Games & GOG.COM Team[/i]"
cesarmarcano80: A NMS possible offered in two editions:

* NMS Single Player and Multiplayer Local Edition

Single player and can be included Multiplayer Local works for a LAN Networking and WIFI Networking, except online internet.

* NMS Multiplayer Online Edition

Works both Multiplayer Local and Multiplayer with online internet can be offered by GOG via GOG Galaxy Plantform.
Or DLC. Price for full drm solo + multi on gog equals the price of the full product on every other platform.
Evixios: I don't agree with the complaints about using Galaxy to use multiplayer. Do people realize that the only other way of having true DRM-free multiplayer is just Direct-IP. But of course people will then complain they can't easily find people to play with as there is no server-browser or matchmaking service.
Good reasons (which there are plenty) for multiplayer being controlled by a third party does not negate what it is though.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Pheace
MasterW: I would like to know this as well
Linko90: As the statement mentions, it's the multiplayer that is not present. Hope this clears things up.
Thanks for the quick response.
gamingsince90: Personally I am happy with no multiplayer. My only concern is are there any other elements from new update not included in gog version as buying this from gog saves $10 for us Australians right now. Can anyone confirm if there are any other elements removed from the game or not?
Nope, only the multiplayer aspects. Everything else is there.
I can see why people are disappointed by a lack of LAN and the multiplayer being delayed, but there's definitely positive things to take away from this. Finally GOG appears to be succeeding in getting developers to include multiplayer in games released on GOG and gets them to send over patches in a timely manner, when before they tended to go the easy way of limiting multiplayer to Steam and only releasing patches once every blue moon, if at all. Even if we don't have total parity yet between versions, that's a pretty big step forward from how it used to be.

inc09nito: In my opinion, when gog signs a contract (or whatever it is) to sell a game, they should demand from developer/publisher to get the same product all the time as on other platforms or else developer would pay huge fines. I don't know, maybe this sounds obvious or silly, or maybe gog is doing that already. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it can't go on like this for customers if gog wants to be competitive.
This is not from GOG themselves but from a poster saying they contacted a developer with a similar question, but apparently GOG now does contractually obligate developer to maintain parity between GOG and other platforms and they get in touch fairly quickly when devs fail to do so. The problem is that GOG can't be too strict, especially with bigger studios, because their market position isn't strong enough to be overly harsh in their demands. If true, it's still a problem they're aware of and clearly working at solving.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Fortuk
I'm sure to get my ass handed to me by people who know better :P , but, would gog connect work in reverse in this situation 'somehow' , If you own it on gog you can use it on steam vice versa. Might sound like a stupid Idea , but logical all the same imho. Btw , myself I'm not fussed about multiplayer. :D
Flankenstein5150: Can I have a Steam key please?
Sure.

On Bizarro World.
joo1973: I'm sure to get my ass handed to me by people who know better :P , but, would gog connect work in reverse in this situation 'somehow' , If you own it on gog you can use it on steam vice versa. Might sound like a stupid Idea , but logical all the same imho. Btw , myself I'm not fussed about multiplayer. :D
No, GOG connect works only one way: Steam to GoG.
high rated
trusteft: Perhaps GOG should change the wording of the news.
You can't have both drm-free multiplayer and require an online client to authenticate your game.

It just doesn't compute.
Zoidberg: To have a mutiplayer, you NEED some form of authentication, it's by definition.

This is no lan game...
No you don't.
I play multiplayer games online since the 90s. It's not a requirement unless you make it.
Why is everyone is so upset about DELAYED multiplayer? Is is bad or even terrible:

I ask how these core loops and progressions work in relation to other players being present in the galaxy. Will there be any scope for interaction? A sense of community?

“No. We really try to play that down, I think. And you’ve said about us playing down the hype, right?” says Murray. “We could sell that aspect of it and it’s a very appealing thing – it’s a giant MMO! – but it’s not. Even if it is, it’s a terrible one. It’s a really terrible multiplayer game. If you want that experience, if you want deathmatch and that MMO progression there are so many more better games for that. For us what we’re after is a more Journey-esque experience. Even if you come across somebody you won’t even know if they were AI or if they were a player. We just want to create some moments but that’s all. The universe is so big it would be really rare.”

Source: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/07/no-mans-sky-interview/

P.S. Seriously, is NMS still selling and people buying it? And HG is still in business? After all that disasters at launch of the game? And people, after all this, still, somehow, got shocked when this developer is "having a lot of fun" with its customers? Guys, are you serious? Have you forgot how it was when they released this game?
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Andrey82
dragoon23: So you answer this, but not answer our concerns about things like access to community events, or the in game store that is due to be added, or the extra missions?

Disappointing; really expected better from GOG.
Linko90: I answer the questions I can.
That's fair enough, but aren't you at least in a position to take these questions to those who can answer?

Surely you understand that people are upset at not only missing features, but in the way and time it was revealed to them?

It seems now really isn't the time for a slow response..... especially as GOG was so quick to retract a twitter post that implied support of GamerGate.
joo1973: I'm sure to get my ass handed to me by people who know better :P , but, would gog connect work in reverse in this situation 'somehow' , If you own it on gog you can use it on steam vice versa. Might sound like a stupid Idea , but logical all the same imho. Btw , myself I'm not fussed about multiplayer. :D
No, that's not how GOG Connect works I'm afraid.
The problem is not only the Multiplayer.

The problem is the GoG users were informed about the multiplayer HOURS AFTER all PS4, Steam users were playing the multiplayer.

I am very dissapointed with GoG. We deserve this info some time before the launch, not after.
high rated
Linko90: I answer the questions I can.
dragoon23: That's fair enough, but aren't you at least in a position to take these questions to those who can answer?

Surely you understand that people are upset at not only missing features, but in the way and time it was revealed to them?

It seems now really isn't the time for a slow response..... especially as GOG was so quick to retract a twitter post that implied support of GamerGate.
I am, but as the statement informs, it's a pretty clear and concise breakdown of the current situation. As for your last comment, I really do not see the correlation between the two events, they're both totally different and I think you know this deep down. I understand the frustrations but as I said, I can only answer what I can. Hope this clears things up!
Yeah and you GoG guys didn´t know about the missing features? As if you knew it today for the 1st time, like us who payed you? this is a very bad way to communicate missing features to your customers.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by vl4do77