It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Building castles in the sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open-space exploration game in a procedurally-generated universe, just received a massive update appropriately named NEXT.

It brings a whole bunch of changes and additions across the board, most notably:

- Option to switch between first and third person view at will
- Visual upgrades to ships, NPCs, buildings, terrain textures, space vistas - pretty much everything
- You can now build far more complex bases anywhere on the planet
- Build your own fleet, upgrade it, and send it out or keep it close while exploring a system

The multiplayer element of NEXT is not yet included in the DRM-free edition of the game. Read more about the delay below:

"[i]From launch, the DRM-free edition of No Man's Sky will include all single-player content introduced by NEXT: third-person mode, upgraded visuals, better base building, player customization, and more.

However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.

For a small, independent studio, developing the feature across multiple platforms is a hugely ambitious and technical challenge which resulted in this delayed release. Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform.

We appreciate your immense support and patience.

- Hello Games & GOG.COM Team[/i]"
Fins_FinsT: Our immense support and patience won't last any much longer if the title of your post is of any indication of your plans, though. I mean this: https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/build+castles+in+the+sky .
Seems kind of fitting considering No Man's Sky original hype campaign and all the promised features and lies that were told.
mechmouse: Absolutely Not

Steam Needs a direct competitor, and GoG's the closest thing available.

GoG is doing both, old games keep coming in, but they should also be getting new game too.

I'm here because I don't want my games controlled by a 3rd party, specially one as restrictive as Steam.

Does it suck we're missing out, yes.

But GoG are working with Hello games to give us an equal product.
inc09nito: I agree that Steam needs competition, but this won't do. GOG will lose a lot of sales now, because they are selling an inferior product, they aren't competitive anymore.
Furthermore, this only confirms that buying new games on GOG is very risky and people are going to avoid it. This won't help in the long run.
In my opinion, when gog signs a contract (or whatever it is) to sell a game, they should demand from developer/publisher to get the same product all the time as on other platforms or else developer would pay huge fines. I don't know, maybe this sounds obvious or silly, or maybe gog is doing that already. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it can't go on like this for customers if gog wants to be competitive.
From my side, I can only say that I will never buy a big and pricey game like NMS or, let's say, Darksiders 3 here at full price, because it's a too big risk. With a 80% discount, later on, knowing what I'm getting - yeah, but day one, full price -hell no.
Well said! Everything you mention was spot on! GOG in my opponion is a inferior product from my prospective now because of this unfortunate event. Without equal footing from game developers, your product can not survive.(not if you expect to get all updates at release).
Laurreth: Back in the day we thought GameSpy was bad.

It's plain stupid that you can't even have PC games connect to each other semi-reliably thanks to platform crap like this.
Your comment deserves much more attention, along with my explanation. The reason "platform crap" is required is because IPv4 addresses were exhausted 20 years ago. The "platform crap" is the third party intermediary that connects users behind NAT and firewalls. With IPv6 or some kind of independent "platform crap", like Tor hidden services, it's possible to get past NAT without Steam or GOG Galaxy. As it is, NAT under IPv4 address shortages is the sole reason Steam rules multiplayer games today. Defeating NAT is the key to breaking the Steam monopoly.

I am not sure if GOG is incorporating a specific defeat of NAT in their business strategy, but if they are not, I accept payment for my consulting services in the form of more GOG games. Keep them coming, and go beat the crap out of the Steam platform for me.
IwubCheeze: Unfortunately, while people aren't going to admit this, the problem here is self inflicted. Here's a few principles smart people abide by to avoid ever getting shafted on the consumer end in the gaming industry. What I'm about to say is not directed at you personally, but is a problem for many people within the gaming industry.

1) Don't let yourself get hyped up for ANY game

Part of the disappointment people have is they artificially drive up their own expectations. Disappointment is only compounded when certain development goals aren't met or delayed. Focusing on something else and getting on with your life is much more productive than bouncing up and down like a hyperactive child waiting for promises to be kept.

2) Don't pre-order EVER!!!

This really is a predatory practice in the industry that really needs to frickin die. Once you place down your hard earned cash for a game, you become more emotionally invested in the products development and the dev are now no longer obligated to fulfill that promise. They already have your money and now, you have no other bargaining chip. Granted, NMS devs haven't abandoned their product but I don't believe in putting money down for a product BEFORE its been delivered. When the game is in a state I'm happy with, then I'll buy it. If not, I have other priorities.

3) Don't buy games on day one

Somewhat overlaps with #2 but newly released games are still going to have bugs and opinions about the game haven't spread yet. Is getting a game on day 1 really much more important than a patched game? I'm sure people remember the Pillars of Eternity 2 fiasco when it was released. A little patience can save a lot of aggravation.

4) Reorganize your priorities

Even if a certain game isn't were it should be in it' development cycle, that's still no reason to moan about it, even after 2 years. Considering a lot of us have a ton of unplayed games, you can play one of those while you wait. You can also do something else with your time. I had a passing interest in NMS but after seeing what it was like after release I decided to wait. I lost nothing by waiting because there are other things for me to do. NMS was ever a priority in my life.

Unfortunately, people let themselves become too hyped up and instead of people being rational (ie. following the pointers above), you have people whining "Elliot......I mean......GOG you IDIOT!!! I WANTED THIS AND WAITED BLAH BLAH. Find the people responsible, I want them killed!!!!".

If people weren't in such a hurry to hand over money for development promises, the tone of this thread would be a lot different.
All good advice, but I actually LIKE the hype. Hype is fun. Hype is exciting. Hype is entertaining. I am here to be entertained. Hype me up please. For free if possible. I can love hype and still be very patient. I can be very patient and still add more games to my backlog :)
Post edited July 25, 2018 by badon
Can I transfer my game folder/progress to NMS on Steam if I were to purchase the game on their platform? Or has the "Cloud saves' removed the game progress folder from my computer to a cloud folder? which cant be accessed?

My boys are playing on Steam and I would like to play with them.

Thank you
>For a small, independent studio

Give me a fucking break. You've whored yourself for the budget to everyone who was ready to throw few bucks at your direction, you've got money from people who brought your broken product at release. You shouldn't be getting praised for delivering 1.0 version two pooping years later.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Linko90
high rated
Perhaps GOG should change the wording of the news.
You can't have both drm-free multiplayer and require an online client to authenticate your game.

It just doesn't compute.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by trusteft
I bought No Man's Sky as a singleplayer game, so I'm not really affectet from the missing multiplayer, but it's really weak from Hello Games to treat GOG user as second class customers. After all, they could also take the same amount of money from us as from everyone else.
cybddr: I noticed that no man's sky is now 50%, why didn't you write for how long it will be on sale?
I need to know !
Please tell me.
Linko90: 7 days.
So you answer this, but not answer our concerns about things like access to community events, or the in game store that is due to be added, or the extra missions?

Disappointing; really expected better from GOG.
Thanks GOG for the news, unfortunate as it is. Might finally pick it up, even though we'd have to wait for multiplayer a bit longer.

I don't agree with the complaints about using Galaxy to use multiplayer. Do people realize that the only other way of having true DRM-free multiplayer is just Direct-IP. But of course people will then complain they can't easily find people to play with as there is no server-browser or matchmaking service.

Even those server browsers and online cd-checks in many (older) titles were usually provided by an external provider (GameSpy) up until a few years ago. How is this any different than using Galaxy for the same function nowadays... (e.g. Battlefront II (2005) recently)

Taking into account the fact that Hello Games has further integration with naming planets and such, I feel like using Galaxy is a fair compromise. I can only imagine the mess it would be people uploading stuff otherwise, if no further authentication would happen.

If anything, we can try to please people by just allowing Direct-IP for both local and internet co-op if they don't care about the rest of the multiplayer features.
low rated
trusteft: Perhaps GOG should change the wording of the news.
You can't have both drm-free multiplayer and require an online client to authenticate your game.

It just doesn't compute.
To have a mutiplayer, you NEED some form of authentication, it's by definition.

This is no lan game...
high rated
Linko90: 7 days.
dragoon23: So you answer this, but not answer our concerns about things like access to community events, or the in game store that is due to be added, or the extra missions?

Disappointing; really expected better from GOG.
I answer the questions I can.
What we really do not need are two distinct proprietary frameworks for multiplayer.

Hopefully Hello Games does develop it so that people can crossplay.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Arundir
OK, for those blaming HG for not having drm free multiplayer RIGHT NOW:

You need to learn some basic knowledge considering development, especially multiplayer. For other platforms such as Steam or Consoles, there is a framework at their disposal to implement multiplayer features, multiplayer is the most problematic, hardest feature to implement for a videogame.
For DRM Free, they have to implement that "framework" themselves and servers do need to be put into place, or maybe they'll use GOG Galaxy Multiplayer, which either way automatically makes it non drm free.

For those blaming GOG:

You are dumbasses.

CDP still is developping that Galaxy feature, you CANNOT expect the same level of service as Steam's, which has 10 years of advance and is not working with the same limitations and feature set.
Besides, CDP has NOTHING to do, absolutely no responsibility regarding the choices made by the devs of a game they publish on their store.
A NMS possible offered in two editions:

* NMS Single Player and Multiplayer Local Edition

Single player and can be included Multiplayer Local works for a LAN Networking and WIFI Networking, except online internet.

* NMS Multiplayer Online Edition

Works both Multiplayer Local and Multiplayer with online internet can be offered by GOG via GOG Galaxy Plantform.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by cesarmarcano80
Zoidberg: OK, for those blaming HG for not having drm free multiplayer RIGHT NOW:

You need to learn some basic knowledge considering development, especially multiplayer. For other platforms such as Steam or Consoles, there is a framework at their disposal to implement multiplayer features, multiplayer is the most problematic, hardest feature to implement for a videogame.
For DRM Free, they have to implement that "framework" themselves and servers do need to be put into place, or maybe they'll use GOG Galaxy Multiplayer, which either way automatically makes it non drm free.

For those blaming GOG:

You are dumbasses.

CDP still is developping that Galaxy feature, you CANNOT expect the same level of service as Steam's, which has 10 years of advance and is not working with the same limitations and feature set.
Besides, CDP has NOTHING to do, absolutely no responsibility regarding the choices made by the devs of a game they publish on their store.
You sir are absurd. If they had just stated in the beginning that multiplayer would not work for GOG users, then it would have been ok. So it's again false advertising. And stop it with customers needing "to learn some basic knowledge considering development"! They (we) are customers. Customers are bringing in the money. They want a fully functional product, as advertised and it's in their right to give feedback and complain when said product is not working as advertised.

Is anyone expecting any person buying a car to know about how it's produced and what issues the producers face? NO. Is anyone expecting any person buying a car to accept a car with some of its core marketed features to be missing? Again: NO!