It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
[This is a sticky post, it will be visible in every single page of this thread. It has been published in October 2020.]

Our moderation team decided not to take a side in the discussion since this giveaway thread was created by the community and, as long as there are no forum rules violated, is up to you, dear Gogers, to decide its fate. We will not set giveaway rules, edit the OP's post, nor lock the whole thread.

However, to make it easier for newcomers to understand the situation (about the OP being inactive and other), I will stick my own post right above the first one.

You are, of course, free to create new threads to start anew and make your own, clear rules. At the same time, please stay reasonable when crating them, as multiple new duplicates might make it even more confusing for many Gogers.

That being said, here you can find a post with dxenija's community poll to have better understanding of the situation: CLICK.

At the time of writing, open giveaway threads are:
- Massive Giveaways Blog (this one)
- Free (temporary) keys giveaway central topic.
- Updated Itch.io giveaways

Be nice to each other *flies away*
Post edited January 15, 2021 by ponczo_
high rated
UCrest: Technically this is not piracy. The ''protection'' of the game is not being breached. You are not changing the data of an executable in order to play the game.
Andtha: However, the unprotected game was still acquired for only a "free weekend" and nothing more. Playing the game after this promotion IMHO qualifies as piracy.
Indeed, that is correct. But depending on the legislation of ''x'' country, other elements may or must be present for an act to be considered piracy. This is the illegal possession of copyrighted material in an irregular manner. It could even be argued that there is malice and breach of trust on the part of the client/user to keep an irregularly obtained legal copy.

Andtha: Why is it always that people misinterpret a possible way to not pay as an invitation to actually not pay for something that clearly isn't for free? (After the free weekend, in this case...)
The simple and honest answer would be because people like things to be easy... The worst thing is that this kind of practices affect the industry and the consumers who legally pay for a game.
high rated
Andtha: However, the unprotected game was still acquired for only a "free weekend" and nothing more. Playing the game after this promotion IMHO qualifies as piracy.
UCrest: Indeed, that is correct. But depending on the legislation of ''x'' country, other elements may or must be present for an act to be considered piracy. This is the illegal possession of copyrighted material in an irregular manner. It could even be argued that there is malice and breach of trust on the part of the client/user to keep an irregularly obtained legal copy.
The results are the same. Simplified, someone has a copy of a game he didn't pay for, which wasn't free for this someone to begin with. This is against all ethics and every person should be able to clearly see that.

I'd go one step further though: As a little thought experiment, say, I did keep a "legal copy" of the game from its free weekend... (A "legal copy"? What's that exactly? Isn't a pirated copy all the same? If the game has no copy protection it might even be identical bit-by-bit... IMHO a copy is a copy, regardless of how I obtained it. But the legal and ethical status of me having the copy is very different...)
I'd be keeping it but not playing it, and no harm would be done, even though this still clearly isn't legal. Say, I then rediscovered said game, played it, liked it: My ethics would now command me to buy it, to legalize this act of me playing it, and to support the developer of the game, since – I keep coming around to this simple statement: it clearly wasn't a free giveaway to begin with.

Say, I started playing it much later (after the free weekend), but didn't like it after ~1 hr playtime, and deleted it: I'd consider this a "try before you buy" and also no harm would be done. I clearly never would have bought this game. Would it be legal? No. Ethical? Well, more ethical than to keep the copy forever.

The takeaway, and also the reason for the "free weekend" promotions, is that people try something, because it's free for a short period of time, in the hopes that they might enjoy it. If they do, chances are they also buy it. So the ethics would be the same if I kept the copy and play it later, provided the outcome doesn't change. (Delete after playing for a short while, or buy.)

Keeping the game forever does change the outcome. And now it's piracy... (IMHO.)

My point being: there is a gray area. But people should be able to make the distinction between what's free (a giveaway) and what's not free: a free weekend is not a keep, it's not a giveaway, however the game may be protected – or not.
high rated
DiRT Rally 2.0 on Steam has 4 DLC available for free for the next two weeks.

Finland (Rally Location)
Germany (Rally Location)
Sweden (Rally Location)
Wales (Rally Location)
Post edited May 16, 2023 by ABH20
Overcast - Walden and the Werewolf (Indiegala)
high rated
https://www.gog.com/en/game/bloody_hell

I'm not sure if Bloody Hell is permanently free or if it's just a temporary promotion, but since it's free right now, it's a good idea to grab it while you can.
Clairsentient: https://www.gog.com/en/game/bloody_hell

I'm not sure if Bloody Hell is permanently free or if it's just a temporary promotion, but since it's free right now, it's a good idea to grab it while you can.
Permanently.
mrkgnao: Permanently.
Bloody Hell!. ;)
high rated
To celebrate Metro: Last Light's 10th Anniversary, the original Complete Edition of the 2013 game will be available for free on
@Steam
from 18-25 May."
Attachments:
high rated
Epic Games:

Death Stranding: Standard Edition - Link

From legendary game creator Hideo Kojima
As Sam Bridges, your mission is to deliver hope to humanity by connecting the last survivors of a decimated America
Open world, some say it is a walking simulator
Give it a try. You be the judge of this GOTY

Features single player only.

All copies of the game will also additionally include:
• “Selections From ‘The Art of DEATH STRANDING’” Digital Book (by Titan Books)
• CHIRAL GOLD/ OMNIREFLECTOR “LUDENS MASK” SUNGLASSES (COLOR VARIANT)
• GOLD and SILVER POWER SKELETON
• GOLD and SILVER ALL-TERRAIN SKELETON
• GOLD and SILVER ARMOUR PLATE

UNLOCK IN-GAME ITEMS VIA STORY PROGRESSION

Other ongoing giveaways:
nothing yet

Next time: Mystery Game Tomorrow
high rated
https://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/Metro_Last_Light_Complete_Edition/
Post edited May 18, 2023 by Catac1ysm
Metro last light is now posible to claime on steam
Fiendish Freddy's Big Top o' Fun free on GOG front page.
drxenija: The first group says: "I want vanilla flavoured ice-cream only! Nothing else!"
But the second group says: "I want to try all flavours! Just take my money!"
Can the ice-cream parlour serve both groups in exactly the same way? The answer is No.
This example is stupid and wrong. The answer would be give everyone Vanilla ice-cream not Mint...pff
drxenija: The first group says: "I want vanilla flavoured ice-cream only! Nothing else!"
But the second group says: "I want to try all flavours! Just take my money!"
Can the ice-cream parlour serve both groups in exactly the same way? The answer is No.
Solarriors: This example is stupid and wrong. The answer would be give everyone Vanilla ice-cream not Mint...pff
That post is almost 3 years old. Please take it elsewhere if you have to resurrect it.
high rated
Particula free on Indiegala.