It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lucasfilm strikes back.

January 27:
It's been a long weekend for Star Wars™ fans among us. Today marks the return of Lucasfilm on GOG.com: WAVE II, with the final batch of three Star Wars™ titles:

A 20% launch discount awaits those who join the fight against the dark side in the next 72-hours with three new releases:
Star Wars™ Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
<i>Star Wars&trade;</i> Republic Commando
<i>Star Wars</i>&trade; Starfighter&trade;

As the Wave II timer ticks down to a zero for the last time, one of the most exciting weeks in the history of GOG.com comes to a close. We couldn't be happier with the series of amazing titles we added to our catalog this week, and we're proud to have teamed up with ©Disney Interactive to finally restore six iconic Star Wars™ games back into the hands of gamers exclusively on GOG.com.

January 22:
The time is now! Lucasfilm strikes back with three more Star Wars™ classics available now on GOG.com! This means the exclusive GOG.com digital premiere of two more spacefaring titles:
<i>Star Wars</i>&trade;: Rogue Squadron - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
<i>Star Wars</i>&trade; Rebellion - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!

<i>Star Wars</i>&trade; Empire at War: Gold Pack is now also available for purchase, DRM-free with a 72-hour, 20% launch discount!

The timer is still ticking, so stay tuned for one more reveal from ©Disney Interactive and GOG.com!

January 20:
A long time ago in a galaxy near you, ©Disney Interactive and <B>GOG.com</B> teamed up to bring you the holy grail of classic gaming: six Lucasfilm cult-classics were added to our DRM-free catalog, including three titles which saw their digital premiere on GOG.com. We also made a promise to bring you many more cult-classics in the future and, believe us, we did not forget.

Today, with great pride and joy, we're excited to announce Wave II of Lucasfilm games on GOG.com! Starting right now, six new Star Wars™ classics are available in our DRM-free Lucasfilm/Disney catalog. This includes three amazing titles available, for the first time in digital distribution, exclusively on GOG.com:
<i>Star Wars</i>&trade;: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
<i>Star Wars</i>&trade;: X-Wing Alliance&trade; - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
<i>Star Wars</i>&trade; Galactic Battlegrounds Saga - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!

We're also celebrating the DRM-free release of these Star Wars™ games with a 72-hour 20% launch discount:
<i>Star Wars</i>&trade; Battlefront&trade; II
<i>Star Wars</i>&trade;: Dark Forces
<i>Star Wars</i>&trade; Knights of the Old Republic&trade; II: The Sith Lords&trade;

Just in case you missed your chance last time, you can grab three more Lucasfilm classics for the same 20% discount, until Friday, January 30, at 1:59 PM GMT!
<i>Star Wars</i>&trade; Knights of the Old Republic&trade;
Indiana Jones&reg; and the Fate of Atlantis&trade;
The Secret of Monkey Island&trade;: Special Edition

Our Lucasfilm/Disney is made that much more impressive today thanks to our team-up with ©Disney Interactive. The 6 new Star Wars™ releases, which include 3 digital premieres exclusively on GOG.com, are barely the beginning. We're not saying more right now, but we know the wait will be worth it for six great reasons - keep watching the front page and stay tuned for more exciting Lucasfilm titles releasing on GOG.com when the timer strikes zero!
Post edited January 27, 2015 by Konrad
With all of the recent Star Wars games, I realized I had the opportunity to create a new GOGlodite. And so it begins...
yyahoo: I guess, but the Jedi Knight games run in a completely different engine than the XvT games. I could understand why getting HW 3D running in the XW and TF games might be difficult as the base original engine for those games was first created in 1993, no doubt HW support was more or less hacked on. The Jedi Knight game engine however was originally designed in an era when D3D was firmly established. I'd like to think that, like Moto Racer, a D3D game from 1997 could be supported via HW, especially considering how awful those games look in software mode...

As you say, I could certainly be wrong as well...
tfishell: Fair enough. I don't personally care either way, I just think - pondering it now - GOG may have allowed customers to set their expectations too high. Seemingly the major selling point for most people seems to be (at least on sites like Reddit), moreso than DRM-free, is the idea that Good Old Games can get games to run exactly like they did back in the day, hardware mode and all. I guess GOG tried to get rid of some of those expectations with the re-branding, but it doesn't seem to have really stuck. :-P
Eh, maybe it´s a noob question, but what´s the difference between hardware mode and software mode?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifbB_nM05lE
filipinowhiteboy: Oooh I hope Episode 1 Racer is among this string of Star Wars games. I loved that one soooo much as a kid. It would be a shame not to be able to play it again
madth3: Nope, read above your last post.
they said with more to come so I doubt that will be the last batch. I've got a hunch that game will see the light of day again....eventually
Why do people keep mentioning Outlaws? (never heard of it)
filipinowhiteboy: they said with more to come so I doubt that will be the last batch. I've got a hunch that game will see the light of day again....eventually
It will be the last batch with a known date, though. The next wave could take any amount of time (the time between this and the previous wave was close to 3 months) and there is no guarantee that the next wave will be Star Wars games.
Niggles: Why do people keep mentioning Outlaws? (never heard of it)
I guess it's because it's the one of the few (only?) Western FPSs?
Post edited January 24, 2015 by Grargar
tfishell: Fair enough. I don't personally care either way, I just think - pondering it now - GOG may have allowed customers to set their expectations too high. Seemingly the major selling point for most people seems to be (at least on sites like Reddit), moreso than DRM-free, is the idea that Good Old Games can get games to run exactly like they did back in the day, hardware mode and all. I guess GOG tried to get rid of some of those expectations with the re-branding, but it doesn't seem to have really stuck. :-P
Tarhiel: Eh, maybe it´s a noob question, but what´s the difference between hardware mode and software mode?
I'm not exactly sure how it all works, but I think basically hardware mode would actually make use of a computer's hardware - ie the 3D card - if it had one, whereas software mode wouldn't make use of it (such as if the computer had no special card like a 3D accelerator). Hardware mode might allow for 640x480 or 800x600 resolutions, whereas software mode might only allow for 320x240 (or any higher than that might significantly slow the game down).

Hardware mode (almost) always looks/looked better. I guess maybe sometimes one couldn't tell the difference but I'd imagine that was rare.
filipinowhiteboy: they said with more to come so I doubt that will be the last batch. I've got a hunch that game will see the light of day again....eventually
Grargar: It will be the last batch with a known date, though. The next wave could take any amount of time (the time between this and the previous wave was close to 3 months) and there is no guarantee that the next wave will be Star Wars games.
Niggles: Why do people keep mentioning Outlaws? (never heard of it)
Grargar: I guess it's because it's the one of the few (only?) Western FPSs?
Outlaws was a very enjoyable FPS where you have to go after outlaws and their henchman. It had plenty of weapons and ennemies and it was a very good multiplayer then on the microsoft gaming zone or the zone for short. It received good reviews and a free 2.0 upgrade that added 4 more missions and a extra playable character.

The stock missions were like in a fort, a western city, caverns, a train, an estate house...

I really hope that outlaws together with SWOTL will also come to GOG someday :-)
Post edited January 24, 2015 by LosT_SouL_VL
LosT_SouL_VL: Outlaws was a very enjoyable FPS where you have to go after outlaws and their henchman. It had plenty of weapons and ennemies and it was a very good multiplayer then on the microsoft gaming zone or the zone for short. It received good reviews and a free 2.0 upgrade that added 4 more missions and a extra playable character.

I really hope that outlaws together with SWOTL will also come to GOG someday :-)
I did play Outlaws a bit in the past, so I am aware of the premise. The game, however, was largely unknown around my gaming circle (and magazines barely mentioned it), which is why I can't say with utter certainty why people desire Outlaws so much.
Post edited January 24, 2015 by Grargar
Well, that's probably because some of us could only play demo when this game was out (e.g. I couldn't buy it in my country). I would love to buy that game now :)

As for Star Wars, I'm waiting for some bigger discount for KOTOR games, as the last one wasn't even below shop prices. You can buy it much cheaper on DVD now. And actually I already own 4xCD version. I would like to buy it on GOG thou. CD/DVD is so much PITA today ;) - I know I'm whining, but PLN is so weak to $ right now, that KOTOR 1&2 COMBO costs almost as much as a recent (NEW) game. Need to wait for a better price :(
Post edited January 25, 2015 by szczerbi
LosT_SouL_VL: Outlaws was a very enjoyable FPS where you have to go after outlaws and their henchman. It had plenty of weapons and ennemies and it was a very good multiplayer then on the microsoft gaming zone or the zone for short. It received good reviews and a free 2.0 upgrade that added 4 more missions and a extra playable character.

Grargar: I did play Outlaws a bit in the past, so I am aware of the premise. The game, however, was largely unknown around my gaming circle (and magazines barely mentioned it), which is why I can't say with utter certainty why people desire Outlaws so much.
Me and a bunch of friends did play a lot of outlaws team deathmatch on the zone. Outlaws was the game that made me buy a diamond monster voodoo so i could play 3dfx outlaws. I still have the big carton outlaws box but i never managed to install and play outlaws on my new rigs.
Grargar: I did play Outlaws a bit in the past, so I am aware of the premise. The game, however, was largely unknown around my gaming circle (and magazines barely mentioned it), which is why I can't say with utter certainty why people desire Outlaws so much.
LosT_SouL_VL: Me and a bunch of friends did play a lot of outlaws team deathmatch on the zone. Outlaws was the game that made me buy a diamond monster voodoo so i could play 3dfx outlaws. I still have the big carton outlaws box but i never managed to install and play outlaws on my new rigs.
You can try with VMware Player and older OS, if it's giving you problems during installation on recent Windows. There are also some 3dfx wrappers which let you run 3dfx games with acceleration on new 3D cards. But I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "never managed to install", so my apologies if I misunderstood.
Post edited January 25, 2015 by szczerbi
Grargar: It will be the last batch with a known date, though. The next wave could take any amount of time (the time between this and the previous wave was close to 3 months) and there is no guarantee that the next wave will be Star Wars games.

I guess it's because it's the one of the few (only?) Western FPSs?

The stock missions were like in a fort, a western city, caverns, a train, an estate house...

Outlaws received good reviews but sales were weak. But it did gain a loyal ,though small,following.

Game itself actually works fairly well on a modern system,but it has the "16 bit installer problem" the game is 32 bit but the installer itself is 16 bit and will not work on a 64 bit system. There are work arounds but they are a pain in the butt.
I suspect this one will be on GOG, though.
You know why people like me keep mentioning non-SW games?! :)
Because when they were first released, we were there - and for me, for instance, I was in awe of the reviews.
Those reviewers were some of the in-crowd of computer game industry - not just people who worked for magazines... And man, they were talking about The Dig and Day of the tentacles, for instance, were like Miracles and Major Blessings given to mankind.
Dammit, That's why I want those games! :) Not that SW games got bad press, I remember Tie Fighter was also a Fortune Cometh Upon Us.
But Yeah sorry for my Biblical Rant. By the way, Steam's got The Dig. No Outlaws or Day of the Tentacles or Zak McKrakken. Zak zak zak.
Here's hoping that GOG and Disney release the actual Lucasarts classics soon, and by those I mean all the adventure game titles and if possible, the old C64 titles as well.

Not that I mind Star Wars sometimes, there are some classics there also like X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance etc.

Just hope that you do release all the classic adventure games before releasing crap stuff like Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

Also yes, we do need to get all the more obscure stuff as well, like the marvellous Outlaws and Afterlife etc.
Post edited January 25, 2015 by Kolzig