It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
IMPORTANT: Please read before posting This topic has been provided to discuss the latest releases of our Downloader (for both Mac and Windows systems) and to submit bug reports. The stable releases (recommended for most users) can be found at this address:http://www.gog.com/downloader.

Latest version:

Mac OS X - 1.2 (build 512)
Windows - 3.6.0

Both Downloaders now have the option of sending Error Reports directly to us (this can be found in app under Settings).
Post edited October 29, 2013 by Fallen_Zen
Lyeengray: snip
You might want to take a look on the source code of unofficial GOG Downloader for linux, here: https://github.com/Sude-/lgogdownloader
I tried to use the Downloader today cause I got some games over the Thanksgiving Holiday that I wanted to check out. Anyway in the past the Downloader worked fine but now when I open it I don't get an error message it just refuses to connect the orange light never changes to green. Is there something I can do to fix this. I can still download without the Downloader but I used to be able to use the Downloader too. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but still nothing works it refuses to connect. Please help me
I'm trying to download Fallout - but, when I click on "Windows installer, English" it takes me to a web page that results in:
403 - Forbidden
What am I doing wrong?
I'm using Internet Explorer version 11 64-bit.

Also, I tried using the "Downloader" version 3.6.0.0. It has a green ball in the lower left hand corner - but, it has nothing on it about anything downloading.

**************************************************************************************

Oh... I think I solved my problem... I switched "Downloader Mode" to on. Now it seems to be working.

Thanks
Post edited December 14, 2013 by truerock
I've just downloaded and installed the Downloader (version 3.6) for windows, and whenever I try to run the app it displays a box saying 'gog.com downloader has encountered a problem and needs to close.' Is there any way to get it running properly? I'd rather not download and install everything manually.
angelus04: Please help me
Connection problems are (usually) the cause of either the firewall/Antivirus blocking the downloader or ISP troubles. Assuming it's the same machine you always used, see if your firewall/Antivirus had any updates recently, and try whitelisting the downloader to see if it works then. A quick test could be to temporarily disable the firewall/Antivirus, but as always, only do a quick test to see if it works, then turn it back on (and look for the whitelist).
It is possible that the logger.log file in %localappdata%\GOG.com will have a bit more info near the end, but it's also possible that the only message will be "Connecting..."

truerock: 403 - Forbidden
What am I doing wrong?
403 - Forbidden is usually caused by a proxy server. The link you get from the webpage has a session id which is IP specific. If for some reason you visit GOG with one IP and the CDN with another, the link isn't valid, thus you get the 403 message.
Since the downloader works for you though, I'd suggest using that method, and should you have any more trouble, post here. Someone should be able to help you :)

Fr33Lanc3r007: 'gog.com downloader has encountered a problem and needs to close.' Is there any way to get it running properly?
The downloader requires .NET to be installed, though I can't recall if it's 3.5 or 4.x. You should have it on your computer already, but it is possible to either not have it, or that it has been somehow corrupted. The "Details" button in the error message should give a little more info on what's causing it, usually a filename. Depending on length of the message, it may be better to upload the message to pastebin.com (or similar) and post a link here, but if the message isn't too long, just quote it here (use [ quote] [ /quote] without the spaces)

Fr33Lanc3r007: I'd rather not download and install everything manually.
The downloader will only download the installation files, you will still have to install them yourself (though the downloader can run the installer automatically).
Post edited December 14, 2013 by JMich
so i just started gog for the free fallout games and my cpu keeps corrupting my files so i thought well i shall use the gog downloader instead, it wont work

so what i did was install the latest version (i guess) and then booted it up.All i see is a red circle that says next to it offline and on the right saying connecting.... it wont connect. i have fast speed internet so idk why it cant connect to gog servers.i tried the settings, nothing, i clicked on update, nothing. apparently your suppose to see a msg saying to enter you email and password but ive never gotten that msg.

Can someone please help me D:
stan3055: Can someone please help me D:
Connection problems are (usually) the cause of either the firewall/Antivirus blocking the downloader or ISP troubles. Assuming it's the same machine you always used, see if your firewall/Antivirus had any updates recently, and try whitelisting the downloader to see if it works then. A quick test could be to temporarily disable the firewall/Antivirus, but as always, only do a quick test to see if it works, then turn it back on (and look for the whitelist).
It is possible that the logger.log file in %localappdata%\GOG.com will have a bit more info near the end, but it's also possible that the only message will be "Connecting..."

It is copy paste from what I answered angelus04 a few posts above, but it remains the most probable cause. What firewall/antivirus/security suite are you using?
Lyeengray: Thanks for the info; I didn't know there was an API available. I'm a programmer, so I wouldn't mind hacking together something to get the downloads the way I want them. Is there some kind of documentation around or is it considered as not for the general public?
GOG API Documentation

The documentation is slightly out of date as I haven't updated it but most of it still applies to current API. As Szulak already mentioned you may want to check LGOGDownloader source code for API implementation.

Here's some sample C++ code using the API implementation from LGOGDownloader to get links.

API *gogAPI = new API("token", "secret");
if(!gogAPI->init()) { if(!gogAPI->login("email", "password")) { exit(1); } }
std::string url = gogAPI->getInstallerLink("game_name", "installer_id");
if (gogAPI->getError()) { std::cout << gogAPI->getErrorMessage() << std::endl; exit(1); }
std::cout << url << std::endl;
delete gogAPI;
That code is untested but will probably help you get started.
Post edited December 14, 2013 by Sude
I wonder if I can make a request for a better speed control.

Currently you can only specific a limit and/or time it would be limited at. For 90% of users this may be enough, but I find myself constantly manually changing the speed; Most of this is based on when I'm up and about I want the speed at one speed, when I'm asleep at another speed, when my friends are over and using the internet a third speed.

I compare this to uTorrent's inherent scheduling options and I absolutely love it, giving you the option to turn it completely off, or a variety of settings in between (full on, half, seed). Perhaps GoG can adapt a similar scheduler where I can increase/decrease the speed to my hearts content.
Attachments:
Fr33Lanc3r007: 'gog.com downloader has encountered a problem and needs to close.' Is there any way to get it running properly?
JMich: The downloader requires .NET to be installed, though I can't recall if it's 3.5 or 4.x. You should have it on your computer already, but it is possible to either not have it, or that it has been somehow corrupted. The "Details" button in the error message should give a little more info on what's causing it, usually a filename. Depending on length of the message, it may be better to upload the message to pastebin.com (or similar) and post a link here, but if the message isn't too long, just quote it here (use [ quote]
[ /quote]
without the spaces)
Cheers,

Forced a windows update and discovered that I was missing some patches. Working perfectly now.
wazo43: hi there i am having a problem downloading games from the downloader. I correctly installed it and the downloader mode is turned on, but when i click download nothing happens. it does not crash, no error message it just does not register that i clicked download. i tried re installing the downloader several times and restarted my computer several times to it just does not work. i am using Google chrome with windows 8 if that matters.
i did try using other browsers but none of them worked.

sorry if this is the incorrect place or it has already been answered.
any help would be appreciated.
HypersomniacLive: Where exactly is that "download" you click on?

The way to use the GOG Downloader is:
1. Go into your games librafy (shelf or list).
2. Click on a game - this displays all the files available for download.
3. Click on a file. This should bring up the GOG Downloader if it's enabled and ask you to enter your credentials.
4. After logging in to the GOG Downloader, it adds the files to the list to download and starts the actual download.

At what step does the process break for you?
Have you tried to completely close it and follow the above steps to see what happens?

And before trying any of this, please delete everything from the %localappdata%\GOG.com directory.
Part 4, it never actually starts the download, i am pretty sure i am downloading it from the correct place. The downloader is open in another window and it registers that i am logged in but i click on the download option, with the downloader option turned on but nothing happens.
wazo43: Part 4, it never actually starts the download, i am pretty sure i am downloading it from the correct place. The downloader is open in another window and it registers that i am logged in but i click on the download option, with the downloader option turned on but nothing happens.
Seems like the gogdownloader isn't properly registered with chrome. See if this support article helps.
I have the latest version of downloader. It installs fine, but when I try to download from my library it opens downloader to the system tray and that's it. Nothing downloads. When I right click the tray icon the pause and resume options are grayed out and my only option is "exit". I have Windows XP SP3 and chrome running. Until two days ago I could download through my browser but now I am getting a 403 Forbidden error when I try that which is why I am trying the downloader in the first place. The downloader worked in the past but it was an old version. Wish I still had it. Any ideas for this problem?
Landmarx: When I right click the tray icon the pause and resume options are grayed out and my only option is "exit". I have Windows XP SP3 and chrome running.
First question, can you see the downloader in the taskbar? It is possible that it has opened in a weird position so you cannot see it. If you can, right click on the taskbar icon and choose move, then see if you can bring it into focus. When you first run the downloader, you will have to log in, and until you do, you won't be able to download anything.

Landmarx: Until two days ago I could download through my browser but now I am getting a 403 Forbidden error when I try that which is why I am trying the downloader in the first place.
The 403 is usually a problem with proxies. The url you get on GOG has a session id which is IP specific. If you visit GOG with one IP address, and the CDN with another, the session id is invalid, thus you get the 403. Unsure if it's your ISP that changed something or a computer update that caused this though :(
Yes, the icon is in the taskbar, but the pause and resume options are grayed out. I am never asked to login.