It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
I don't get all this fuss, to be frank.

As someone has already said, most people don't care, so if the settings defaulted to full privacy, the feature would be close to useless. That's the reason such features default to public on Steam and other platforms.

Also, while I understand the desire to keep things completely private, let's keep in mind that no confidential information is leaked here.

Your activity is not even recorded if you don't use Galaxy and play via standalone EXEs (as I believe many users who care about complete privacy do).

While I'm not sure about what exactly is going to be in user profiles, you'll probably need to fill them yourselves for them to show anything personal.

Any other info, including your list of games is seen by default by friends only and if you use Galaxy, you're already aware of the fact they may see what you're playing.

As you can see, in many cases the problems with default privacy settings are rendered null. And if someone sees your list of games (someone you added to friends, might I add), keep in mind it's not like they've laid their hands on your credit card credentials.

In other words, keep it in scale. This is not the end of the world. Sure, such default settings have their drawbacks, but if they were private, no one would use them. Just look at the setting allowing people to only be messaged by friends. It's set like this by default and no one cares enough to change it. It'd be the same with profiles, which would be a waste of all the hard work put into this feature.
moonshineshadow: If you check the box people can find you in the "Add friend" search when they type in your username or your emailaddress (if they know that).
If you uncheck it, you can't be found in that search. and in the future that should also prevent you from being included in the friend suggestions that galaxy introduced. But that is still bugged at the moment. See here
Thanks, think I'll leave it unchecked for now.
elcook: We will be talking about it in the official announcement of the feature on the main page, when it goes live. This is just a heads up for you, the most dedicated ones, who hang out here in the forums. You guys and gals are also the most sensitive for such changes, hence the forum post to let you know earlier.
Thank you a ton for actually doing this, telling us beforehand and, y'know, communicating. It makes a world of difference.
low rated
Did Gog give out email address's?..............NO!

Did Gog show the world which games you have?................YES!

Did Gog set it up incorrectly?...............YES!

Has everyone in here made a mistake or error of judgement?...........NO!

I will say ''thank God'' none of you hope/not/never/will be on a jury with someone's life in the balance.

Thankyou Gog as I know you are still learning and EVERYONE can make mistakes and to ALL the knockers who are perfect and never made a mistake,''hats off to you''.
high rated
Taro94: I don't get all this fuss, to be frank.
And it's thanks to people like you who don't understand why privacy should always be the default option and sharing info the opt-in choice that we now live in a fucked up dystopia and the very notion of privacy is a fading memory.
Tauto: Did Gog give out email address's?..............NO!

I will say ''thank God'' none of you hope/not/never/will be on a jury with someone's life in the balance.

Thankyou Gog as I know you are still learning and EVERYONE can make mistakes and to ALL the knockers who are perfect and never made a mistake,''hats off to you''.
So are yer afor it or aginit?
low rated
I can see this thread being closed soon and the ban hammer coming out.
Tauto: Did Gog give out email address's?..............NO!

initialpresence: So are yer afor it or aginit?
I'm afor it but it was not properly set up.
Post edited April 19, 2018 by Tauto
high rated
Tauto: I can see this thread being closed soon and the ban hammer coming out.
initialpresence: So are yer afor it or aginit?
Tauto: I'm afor it but it was not properly set up.
Yeah. Not wanting to labour the point but private needs to be the default with this sort of thing. I'm a big fan of the whole DRM-free thing so I want Gog to succeed but they seem to be lumbering from one blunder to another - hopefully it won't effect their bottom line ... too much. :/
low rated
Tauto: I can see this thread being closed soon and the ban hammer coming out.

I'm afor it but it was not properly set up.
initialpresence: Yeah. Not wanting to labour the point but private needs to be the default with this sort of thing. I'm a big fan of the whole DRM-free thing so I want Gog to succeed but they seem to be lumbering from one blunder to another - hopefully it won't effect their bottom line ... too much. :/
EVERYONE makes MISTAKES! Gog is NO exception to this rule.I think the poor bugga that set it up that way is hiding and hoping this will end,just read the first three words and take heart.
initialpresence: Yeah. Not wanting to labour the point but private needs to be the default with this sort of thing. I'm a big fan of the whole DRM-free thing so I want Gog to succeed but they seem to be lumbering from one blunder to another - hopefully it won't effect their bottom line ... too much. :/
Tauto: EVERYONE makes MISTAKES! Gog is NO exception to this rule.I think the poor bugga that set it up that way is hiding and hoping this will end,just read the first three words and take heart.
But they seem to have made more than their fair share lately. This and the dishonest, misleading promo on the last sale, quite a few really dud games introduced lately, the ongoing problems with Galaxy. Hopefully they will take note of some of the more contructive criticisms here and make adjustments.
low rated
Tauto: EVERYONE makes MISTAKES! Gog is NO exception to this rule.I think the poor bugga that set it up that way is hiding and hoping this will end,just read the first three words and take heart.
initialpresence: But they seem to have made more than their fair share lately. This and the dishonest, misleading promo on the last sale, quite a few really dud games introduced lately, the ongoing problems with Galaxy. Hopefully they will take note of some of the more contructive criticisms here and make adjustments.
Yes,contructive criticism and not the abuse which should be hit with a ban hammer,NOW!
never cared about profiles, but cool for those who do.
high rated
elcook:
I'd like to add that under "Account and Locale" please - at last - have users opt in if they want their country displayed in forums. Not like the current situation, where you broadcast it openly by default, without the option to turn this feature off. This has always been a glaring privacy oversight.
Profiles, huh? Nice.
high rated
elcook: We will be talking about it in the official announcement of the feature on the main page, when it goes live. This is just a heads up for you, the most dedicated ones, who hang out here in the forums. You guys and gals are also the most sensitive for such changes, hence the forum post to let you know earlier.
I really appreciate getting this info in advance! Thank you! :)

Just a couple of things:

Please set the default to be private on everything, that way those who don't want it set like that can change it when they want, no harm done, and those who want to stay private won't have any info open to others by mistake before they notice what has happened :)

About "Others can find me by email or username": Please separate these :) I don't mind letting people search for me by username, but not email.