It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: So, which setting is which according to you? I'm asking, becasue apparently me and DampSquib arrived at opposite conclusions :D
GR00T: I figured when it shows 'Nobody Can Find Me' then that's when it's set to private. There's no check in the box, but there is when it shows you can be found by e-mail or user name.

Maybe have to test this one out to be sure...
My conclusion too. But they really, really should change this to something clearer.

Edit: might just be the weirdest choice any troll ever made for a post of mine to downvote :D
Post edited April 19, 2018 by Breja
GR00T: Maybe have to test this one out to be sure...
Your setting is correct, just tested it and the search could not find you :-)
Breja: So, which setting is which according to you? I'm asking, becasue apparently me and DampSquib arrived at opposite conclusions :D
GR00T: I figured when it shows 'Nobody Can Find Me' then that's when it's set to private.
That text is a label for the checkbox, so toggling the box makes that text come true, which means it currently isn't true, so when it shows that, then you can be found.
That fits with the old setting, which for me was that I could be found (searches for my username find my posts on the forum), and so the label says "Nobody can find me".

Still, I entirely agree that it's a horribly implemented control with the changing label text and green color.
gogtrial34987: That fits with the old setting, which for me was that I could be found (searches for my username find my posts on the forum), and so the label says "Nobody can find me".
Well with your current setting you can't be found.

DampSquib: Yup, it's very badly worded, wasn't sure if i'd ticked to be found or not.
Ticked you carn't be found, that's what i thought anyway.
Not sure if you have it ticked or not (I'd guess yes), but at the moment you can be found.
Post edited April 18, 2018 by moonshineshadow
there is as yet no definition of activity or friend activity. normally I'd leave it default but I'm gonna change it without knowing specifically what anything is.
gogtrial34987: That fits with the old setting, which for me was that I could be found (searches for my username find my posts on the forum), and so the label says "Nobody can find me".
moonshineshadow: Well with your current setting you can't be found.
After some experimentation: I'm guessing you're talking about chat user search? I thought in its previous incarnation that feature was about forum search... But I might very well be mistaken!
moonshineshadow: Well with your current setting you can't be found.
gogtrial34987: After some experimentation: I'm guessing you're talking about chat user search? I thought in its previous incarnation that feature was about forum search... But I might very well be mistaken!
Huh? No this whole thing is about adding friends search. And it always was about that.
gogtrial34987: After some experimentation: I'm guessing you're talking about chat user search? I thought in its previous incarnation that feature was about forum search... But I might very well be mistaken!
moonshineshadow: Huh? No this whole thing is about adding friends search. And it always was about that.
Oh wow, I never even knew that function existed; always thought the only way to add friends was simply through the context menu on their avatar.
(FWIW, the chat user search seems to basically be the same, but the setting makes much more sense in the explicit context of the friends user search.)

With that cleared up though, then what is it that makes some people return zero results in forum search? I always thought that was a privacy setting. But then it really must be that those people have never been quoted/addressed on the forum?
gogtrial34987: With that cleared up though, then what is it that makes some people return zero results in forum search? I always thought that was a privacy setting. But then it really must be that those people have never been quoted/addressed on the forum?
Or they have a special character in their username like _ . The you also can not find any posts with the forum search.
gogtrial34987: Snip
moonshineshadow: Snip
DampSquib: Hide and seek
moonshineshadow: Not sure if you have it ticked or not (I'd guess yes), but at the moment you can be found.
Yup it is ticked, good guess, well colour me confused, makes my head all a twirl.
high rated
elcook: So there is a very cool and nice feature coming to GOG - we will be introducing user profiles very, very soon. But I won’t be revealing any details of the feature, as we want you guys to experience it first-hand rather than reading some PR bla-bla. Before it all goes live and will be available for you, we need to deal with all the formalities - launching profiles means adding new privacy settings on our end. We want to give you a heads-up, and that’s why today we’ve introduced the three new privacy settings on your GOG account, all connected to the profiles.
But dude, you already screwed privacy six ways and twice on Sunday by implementing this friend recommendation thing which leaks one's friend's friend list like a colander. This is terrible. Please hire an outside privacy consultant.
gogtrial34987: With that cleared up though, then what is it that makes some people return zero results in forum search? I always thought that was a privacy setting. But then it really must be that those people have never been quoted/addressed on the forum?
moonshineshadow: Or they have a special character in their username like _ . The you also can not find any posts with the forum search.
And here I thought I had a pretty good grasp by now of the myriad bugs of gog. Hah. Shows what I know... Thanks for the edification! :)
high rated
carboxymoron: Please default to private. There is no reasonable expectation that all users will see this post before their info is made public without their knowledge.
Yes! Gog should definately make the default privacy settings nobody, me only, private etc or this is going to end up another PR disaster for Gog and more unpleasantness for their customers. :/
high rated
User profiles are good, as are the new privacy settings, but I agree that the default privacy levels should be as high as possible / practicable. Also, like several people above, I'm confused by the 'visibility' setting - what does this refer to exactly? And does checking the box mean that people can find me, or that they can't?
DebbieL: User profiles are good, as are the new privacy settings, but I agree that the default privacy levels should be as high as possible / practicable. Also, like several people above, I'm confused by the 'visibility' setting - what does this refer to exactly? And does checking the box mean that people can find me, or that they can't?
If you check the box people can find you in the "Add friend" search when they type in your username or your emailaddress (if they know that).
If you uncheck it, you can't be found in that search. and in the future that should also prevent you from being included in the friend suggestions that galaxy introduced. But that is still bugged at the moment. See here
Post edited April 19, 2018 by moonshineshadow