It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Connect your Steam account and grow or jumpstart your GOG.com library.

UPDATE: Last chance to grab your games from the original list! Make sure to get them until June 8, 12:59 PM UTC.

Want more games? We've got more games! Three new titles are now available through GOG Connect:

- Kona
- Defender's Quest
- Door Kickers

You can get them until June 13, 1:59 PM UTC.

Today, we're launching a new program called <span class="bold">GOG Connect</span>. The premise is simple: connect your Steam account and add your eligible games to your GOG.com library.

Whether you're checking us out for the first time or have been with us for a while, <span class="bold">GOG Connect</span> gets you DRM-free versions of your games, digital extras, and a whole lot of freedom of choice (like whether you go with the GOG Galaxy client or not). It gets you our take on game ownership, and we say: why buy the games more than once?

Thanks to our awesome partners including Deep Silver, Harebrained Schemes, Jonathan Blow's Number None, TaleWorlds and more, you can now add more than 20 games to your GOG.com library if you previously purchased them on Steam.

The full list of games will always be available on connect.gog.com, starting with these and more:

- The Witness
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
- Galactic Civilizations 3
- Trine Enchanted Edition
- Saints Row 2
- Shadowrun Returns
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

While <span class="bold">GOG Connect</span> will stick around, the available games will come and go. These are limited-time offers made possible by participating developers and publishers, so stay tuned as we bring new titles onboard in the future (and grab your copies before they go away)!

For a bit more library-building, a bunch of our favorite titles will also be discounted up to -85% all week long, including The Witness, Saints Row: The Third, System Shock 2 and more. You can check out all the deals here. The sale will last until June 6, 12:59 PM UTC.
flamerion: Demands are definitely low now and I still can't seem to connect so I guess the problem is with GOG as others site connect with steam just fine for me (inventory and all)
I just want to know what's the problem, I'll even accept an answer like "We don't like your avatar so screw you"
I'm exaggerating of course.. my point is I want to some sort of update from GOG about why me(and I guess more) can't seem to connect after all this time

I sent a ticket and I got 1 machine replay 1 human asking relevant questions seemingly willing to help and when I replied to him never got back
Well, for starters there are no games on offer right now, so the answer for everyone currently is "no games available", so there is no point in even checking. Having said that, I just checked and it works fine for me, it connected and took about 10 seconds, then said "no eligible games found", which is the only answer anyone will get right now as there are no eligible games right now.
flamerion: Demands are definitely low now and I still can't seem to connect so I guess the problem is with GOG as others site connect with steam just fine for me (inventory and all)
I just want to know what's the problem, I'll even accept an answer like "We don't like your avatar so screw you"
I'm exaggerating of course.. my point is I want to some sort of update from GOG about why me(and I guess more) can't seem to connect after all this time

I sent a ticket and I got 1 machine replay 1 human asking relevant questions seemingly willing to help and when I replied to him never got back
skeletonbow: Well, for starters there are no games on offer right now, so the answer for everyone currently is "no games available", so there is no point in even checking. Having said that, I just checked and it works fine for me, it connected and took about 10 seconds, then said "no eligible games found", which is the only answer anyone will get right now as there are no eligible games right now.
For me, it doesn't say 'no eligible games found'. I haven't got to that stage yet. Apparently I still have to wait 'several days due to exceedingly high demand'.
ElectronicToast: For me, it doesn't say 'no eligible games found'. I haven't got to that stage yet. Apparently I still have to wait 'several days due to exceedingly high demand'.
That's the message it shows everyone, just in case there are lots of people in the queue ahead of you. They added that message when people were uncertain what was supposed to happen after clicking the button. That's a worst-case scenario - GOG can process at least 100,000 requests per day (probably exactly that many if they haven't negotiated a higher number with Valve, which they might be a bit reluctant to do) so the only way it will take several days is if at least 200,000 or more people are waiting in the queue ahead of you.

Right now the queue is empty so it should take 10-15 seconds. You can just leave the tab open, no need to refresh or anything, or you can close it and come back later to see the progress. It definitely should not get stuck on that "Due to exceedingly high demand" message right now, because the queue is empty due to no games being on offer. Hopefully support manages to take a look at your situation soon.
ElectronicToast: For me, it doesn't say 'no eligible games found'. I haven't got to that stage yet. Apparently I still have to wait 'several days due to exceedingly high demand'.
Barefoot_Monkey: That's the message it shows everyone, just in case there are lots of people in the queue ahead of you. They added that message when people were uncertain what was supposed to happen after clicking the button. That's a worst-case scenario - GOG can process at least 100,000 requests per day (probably exactly that many if they haven't negotiated a higher number with Valve, which they might be a bit reluctant to do) so the only way it will take several days is if at least 200,000 or more people are waiting in the queue ahead of you.

Right now the queue is empty so it should take 10-15 seconds. You can just leave the tab open, no need to refresh or anything, or you can close it and come back later to see the progress. It definitely should not get stuck on that "Due to exceedingly high demand" message right now, because the queue is empty due to no games being on offer. Hopefully support manages to take a look at your situation soon.
I've been in this queue since, I think, the 6th of June. If they can make 100,000 requests a day, then that would mean that there could be 2,300,000 made since I first got into the queue. I suppose 2 million isn't very high. I could believe that that many people took advantage of the promotion, seeing as it was across the world.
Barefoot_Monkey: That's the message it shows everyone, just in case there are lots of people in the queue ahead of you. They added that message when people were uncertain what was supposed to happen after clicking the button. That's a worst-case scenario - GOG can process at least 100,000 requests per day (probably exactly that many if they haven't negotiated a higher number with Valve, which they might be a bit reluctant to do) so the only way it will take several days is if at least 200,000 or more people are waiting in the queue ahead of you.

I've never got that message. Everytime I check, it instantly connects and tells me which games are available. That's obviously none the past couple weeks, but I still check most of the times this thread is bumped, and it connects instantly.

There's definitely a software or other issue screwing this up for many people.
During the first batch I was able to 'connect' (after a few trials), and transfer one game.

Since the second batch came up, though, the connect page tells me that I'm "queued for GOG connect", and that the "accounts will be connected as soon as possible", under a rotating 'processing' circle.

I wonder what will happen when the third batch comes up -- if it ever does.
ElectronicToast: I've been in this queue since, I think, the 6th of June. If they can make 100,000 requests a day, then that would mean that there could be 2,300,000 made since I first got into the queue. I suppose 2 million isn't very high. I could believe that that many people took advantage of the promotion, seeing as it was across the world.
It definitely sounds like something's broken. The queue's been clear for weeks, and I don't get the impression that they ever got more than a full day's worth of backlog before their quota reset. I don't know how GOG implemented it, but perhaps there was a bug where it started scanning your account and got interrupted before finishing, and your account got stuck in an "in-progress" state instead of "complete" or "failed". Or maybe your Steam profile has been private the whole time and GOG Connect automatically retries private profiles every now and then rather than simply giving up and removing you from the queue (I don't think they'd implement it this way, but they might).

Unless it's something simple like making your profile public then I don't think there's much you can do without the help of someone from GOG.
There very well might possibly be daily regional limits to the Steam API, and if not, GOG might themselves possibly do so in order to ensure more balanced access globally so that one region doesn't use up all of the available connections within a given day and choke off other regions from access. I am in Canada, and I can certainly get through however almost always when I test it, although I had problems the first 2 days when GOG Connect was advertised.
ElectronicToast: I've been in this queue since, I think, the 6th of June. If they can make 100,000 requests a day, then that would mean that there could be 2,300,000 made since I first got into the queue. I suppose 2 million isn't very high. I could believe that that many people took advantage of the promotion, seeing as it was across the world.
One other thing worthy of postulation is while we know that the Steam API has a limit of 100,000 requests per day, it isn't clear to me currently at least what exactly is a "request" defined to be? Is that a single incoming successful TCP connection which requests data and successfully completes then disconnects? Or, does a single TCP connection occur and then Steam API requests transpire through it, and it may take several actual calls through the Steam API to acquire the information for a single user before closing the connection?

I assume it is the latter, because one TCP connection to Steam could sit there all day and query for all sorts of things back and forth even just for a single user. So while I haven't investigated the technical details personally, I would make an educated assumption that one single user using GOG Connect one single time on a given day, is going to initiate at least one connection from GOG to Steam, but once connected, the transaction is going to result in several API calls to the Steam API to ascertain the needed information before disconnecting.

If it takes 4 API calls to complete the query, then that would be 4 API requests *per person*, meaning out of 100,000 requests per day only 25000 people could actually be serviced. And if people are probing multiple times per day like that, then it could significantly reduce the number of people that can be processed per day. But it could take 8 or 10 requests per person (I have no idea), so it could be only a few thousand people able to be processed on a given day in theory.

People should therefore IMHO not assume that:
- 100,000 *people* per day can be processed through the Steam API
- people are trying it only once as opposed to 2/3/5/10 times, further reducing the actual number of people that can get through on a day
- it isn't being abused by people using bots or browser plugins to hammer GOG which in turn hammers Steam API more
- there aren't additional restrictions per region to try to provide balanced coverage globally which could result in hitting the limits in one region while others haven't hit their limits yet.
- both the Steam API and GOG Connect service are bug free. It's software, it's new and it can have bugs. Even Steam can, especially under heavy load.

There are a lot more variables than that I'm sure too. This is something new, it is likely to improve over time as they monitor bottlenecks and problems and try to find solutions. Presumably though they can't get past hard limits imposed by Steam no matter how much it affects or upsets people, it's just a fact of life as decided by Valve, and whether people are aware of it or understand it.

Another possibility that just entered my mind, is that it is also possible that the customer response to this was far greater than what the publishers and/or GOG combined expected, and they did not anticipate giving out that many copies of their games and decided to pull back a little bit. This is PURE SPECULATION on my part, so please someone don't take this speculation and run with it as it was a fact and start a witch hunt to burn down these companies over it. But it is possible in theory that they got more response to the offer than they expected or intended, that wouldn't be a first for freebie game promotions. (Look at the non-GOG Blackwell Epiphany promo from a few years ago that people took excessive advantage of for example.)
Post edited June 29, 2016 by skeletonbow
Thanks everyone for adding their, sometimes considerable amount of, thoughts to this subject. It's just because I have no idea whats happening that I worry. I don't know whether I'm supposed to be doing something different or whether they are working on this or they just gave up on Gog connect or they just gave up on the people who can't connect at all.

I've seen documentaries on marketing that explain that with buy one get one free type promotions or similar ones that involve getting something free that a person will psychologically feel loss if they don't get the free item that is felt to a similar degree to losing something they actually possessed.

So I'll build a bridge and get over it.
Is there hope for a new batch of games on Monday, when the Steam sale will end?
This was fun while it lasted T_T

Here's hoping for more games =)
low rated
DOA
comboplayer: DOA
Nah, that game isn't on GOG.
Posted June 28 on GOG's Twitter account:

"@TrollDecker More games coming! :) Stay tuned, you haven't heard the last of GOG Connect just yet."

Take that for what you will.

Edit:
Forgot to link to it, so it is : [url=https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/747784764648787968]https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/747784764648787968
Post edited July 03, 2016 by metricfun