It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ZapMcRaygunn: I rather like this new idea. One of the things that bothered me was being forced to download an entire set of games at once and fill up the hard drive quickly. I've only got 500GB of space on my hard drive even with my newest computer, so it's good to be able to play episodic games one at a time and replace then when I finish. I do agree it takes getting used to, but I'm extremely happy with being able to download the games separately.
Thanks GOG. You've made me really happy.
This is probably the most positive review I've seen from this.

To be fair, this never bothered me much, granted I have an 8 TB external for backing up all my media.
ReynardFox: Oh and on top of how annoying the leisure suit larry collection looks (I still want an answer as to why both versions of the same game now have to be two separate items with identical boxart), what the hell is up with Two Worlds 2? I buy epic edition and now have 'velvet edition' and 'castle defender.' What?

Also, any unbundled games no longer let me go directly to the gamecard if I wanted to (something I've done more than expected).

This unbundling idea was just awful.
The unbundling idea, and the actual implementation of unbundling are two different things. Opinions definitely vary widely about whether unbundling games is desirable or not, but I think just about everyone is unified in thought that the actual manner in which the changes are being done and the process is somewhat of an epic disaster at this point. :)

If the changes had been completely engineered behind the scenes on a parallel development system, carefully reviewed by quality control to ensure all of the files are present that should be, they're all named properly and usefully, all of the box art is correct, the titles on everything is correct, URLs are present and work that point to the store page for the games, etc. and only then were the changes rolled out to customers relatively glitch-free, they would have had an opportunity to have a lot more people on-board with the changes who otherwise would have been on the fence.

Even though it's been poorly deployed with tonnes of user visible daily breakage though, the unbundling of the games has merits, and most of the drawbacks people have reported are things that could be resolved through other means later on if GOG decides to add the organizational features that allow it to happen.

We can probably all agree now that everyone is alpha testing right now whether they signed up for any test or not though. :)
ReynardFox: what the hell is up with Two Worlds 2? I buy epic edition and now have 'velvet edition' and 'castle defender.' What?
They unbundled it in a way similar to Steam. Two Worlds II: Velvet Edition and Two Worlds II: Castle Defense.
Post edited March 19, 2015 by Grargar
high rated
ReynardFox: what the hell is up with Two Worlds 2? I buy epic edition and now have 'velvet edition' and 'castle defender.' What?
Grargar: They unbundled it in a way similar to Steam. Two Worlds II: Velvet Edition and Two Worlds II: Castle Defense.
Since when has Steam become the golden standard? Perhaps GOG should aim to be different from Steam, rather than attempt to mimic it.
Grargar: They unbundled it in a way similar to Steam. Two Worlds II: Velvet Edition and Two Worlds II: Castle Defense.
mrkgnao: Since when has Steam become the golden standard? Perhaps GOG should aim to be different from Steam, rather than attempt to mimic it.
I imagine the publisher is the one who decides how things should be and not Steam. GOG can do something either independently or because it's what the publisher wants, and if it happens to be the same on Steam who cares really.

Where I personally would see there being a major problem, is if GOG decides to do something, looks on Steam to see if they do something first, then purposefully avoids doing it for no other reason than "Steam does it too". That's just foolish.
I'm fine with the idea of bundling the games but I'm a little confused why HOMM5 still has Hammers of Fate included in the original but Tribes of the East is seperate :S

Splitting Heroes: Chronicles into 8 separate packages was a little superfluous but it's no big deal. Splitting 1 game into 8 makes me feel like I own more games than I actually own :P

Just got a question about the game avatars though. Some unbundled games have completely new avatars but others use 1 for two separate games. Duke Nukem 1 and 2 as well as Incoming and Incoming Forces are both using the same avatar? Are these just place holders for the time being?
Wow, I guess I'm one of the few that actually likes to see my games unbundled. I went from just over 400 games to just short of 500. I love how I can now see box art from some of the "hidden" titles.

One comment though, I would like the link to work between my library and the game's description. Cognition's links never worked and I was hoping that the links would be repaired. Currently none of the links in the newly unbundled games work either.
IwubCheeze: Splitting Heroes: Chronicles into 8 separate packages was a little superfluous but it's no big deal. Splitting 1 game into 8 makes me feel like I own more games than I actually own :P
Heroes Chronicles are the biggest problem really at the moment since the game size has increased from cca. 660MB bundled to 3.5GB cause of unbundling. Unbundling is not bad per se but they should have let the option to download bundled version of the game for those who do wan't that.
Post edited March 19, 2015 by Matruchus
I like the unbundling very much. Makes it much easier to browse my shelf and it makes it easier to integrate GOG with other programs like Lutris.

One thing I wonder if it can be fixed though. Previously, I was able to click the title of a game on the shelf and it'd take me to the store page of the relevant game. Now these links are gone for unbundled games. Would it be possible for them to link to the collection instead?
IwubCheeze: Splitting Heroes: Chronicles into 8 separate packages was a little superfluous but it's no big deal. Splitting 1 game into 8 makes me feel like I own more games than I actually own :P
Matruchus: Heroes Chronicles are the biggest problem really at the moment since the game size has increased from cca. 660MB bundled to 3.5GB cause of unbundling. Unbundling is not bad per se but they should have let the option to download bundled version of the game for those who do wan't that.
I haven't downloaded any of the new unbundled things yet (no space). I'm wondering why it is bigger now though? Duplicated bonus items or something? If so, I think I may have to move my download drive to a Linux box and use hardlinks to eliminate duplicate file space wastage. It's doable in Windows also, but the "hardlink" command exists in Linux at least, and not so much in Windows. :)

Plan on re-downloading my entire library which was 510GB or so pre-unbundling. Not getting rid of my old copies though just to be safe so I'm going to be downloading this stuff for months it seems. :) Not going to start though either until all of the churning is done. Should be fun... :)
Matruchus: Heroes Chronicles are the biggest problem really at the moment since the game size has increased from cca. 660MB bundled to 3.5GB cause of unbundling. Unbundling is not bad per se but they should have let the option to download bundled version of the game for those who do wan't that.
skeletonbow: I haven't downloaded any of the new unbundled things yet (no space). I'm wondering why it is bigger now though? Duplicated bonus items or something? If so, I think I may have to move my download drive to a Linux box and use hardlinks to eliminate duplicate file space wastage. It's doable in Windows also, but the "hardlink" command exists in Linux at least, and not so much in Windows. :)

Plan on re-downloading my entire library which was 510GB or so pre-unbundling. Not getting rid of my old copies though just to be safe so I'm going to be downloading this stuff for months it seems. :) Not going to start though either until all of the churning is done. Should be fun... :)
The new Heroes Chronicles has supposedly the base game delivered eight times now together with the new scenarios. That's basically the problem. You get the Heroes engine eight times plus the small size the scenarios are.
Post edited March 19, 2015 by Matruchus
skeletonbow: I haven't downloaded any of the new unbundled things yet (no space). I'm wondering why it is bigger now though? Duplicated bonus items or something?
We're not talking about the bonus items, but the installers themselves. Each of them is over 400 MB in size.
I did not have time to check all the posts here so sorry if that is already answered :-)

I noticed that Kings Quest 7+8 is unbundled for a few days now, but the other Kings Quest games are still bundled. Is that a bug in my account or is the unbundling order just strange?
moonshineshadow: I did not have time to check all the posts here so sorry if that is already answered :-)

I noticed that Kings Quest 7+8 is unbundled for a few days now, but the other Kings Quest games are still bundled. Is that a bug in my account or is the unbundling order just strange?
I guess that they haven't bothered with it yet.
moonshineshadow: I did not have time to check all the posts here so sorry if that is already answered :-)

Grargar: I guess that they haven't bothered with it yet.
Ok thanks :-) I was just wondering because for me it would make sense to do all the unbundling for a series at once :D