It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

skeletonbow: I haven't downloaded any of the new unbundled things yet (no space). I'm wondering why it is bigger now though?
From a quick glance yesterday it seemed as if all the unbundled games had the entire set of extras that the bundle used to have, so yeah, that's a big part of it.

Also, I didn't actually check for this but I imagine the gog installer with all its ads and stuff isn't exactly light. The license of dosbox and scummvm also requires that they either ship the full source code every time or be later obligated to provide it on request for years, so it's easier to be proactive there. For many old titles that originally came on floppies, all that stuff probably adds up to be several times bigger then than the game itself.
Post edited March 19, 2015 by Rixasha
moonshineshadow: Ok thanks :-) I was just wondering because for me it would make sense to do all the unbundling for a series at once :D
It would also make sense to unbundle everything rather than do it selectively (like Heroes V for example), but this is GOG we're talking about. :D
moonshineshadow: Ok thanks :-) I was just wondering because for me it would make sense to do all the unbundling for a series at once :D
Grargar: It would also make sense to unbundle everything rather than do it selectively (like Heroes V for example), but this is GOG we're talking about. :D
Yep that is true! Even knowing that there is still something bundled, looking at Heroes V gives me the feeling that one expension is missing :D
GOG, can you please do something about the multiple identical cover art sets in the Larry series? I can't imagine the original and vga releases had exactly the same boxes. It looks incredibly sloppy right now.

Also what is up with the Wing Commander 1 & 2 covers? They look like something you guys whipped up in 5 minutes in photoshop, where's the original box art?
Post edited March 19, 2015 by ReynardFox
skeletonbow: We can probably all agree now that everyone is alpha testing right now whether they signed up for any test or not though. :)
Yeah no kidding. I don't like being a guinea pig unless it's on my own terms GOG. :p
IwubCheeze: Splitting Heroes: Chronicles into 8 separate packages was a little superfluous but it's no big deal. Splitting 1 game into 8 makes me feel like I own more games than I actually own :P
Matruchus: Heroes Chronicles are the biggest problem really at the moment since the game size has increased from cca. 660MB bundled to 3.5GB cause of unbundling. Unbundling is not bad per se but they should have let the option to download bundled version of the game for those who do wan't that.
I really hope they take a second look through all their unbundled packages after they're done and then decide to roll back some of them. HoMM Chronicles is a good example, maybe also episodic games (Cognition was already mentioned).
Post edited March 19, 2015 by DukeNukemForever
I'm not sure whether Ultima 4+5+6 will be unbundled, but this way U4, which is already there as it is one of the "greetings to GOG, get some free games" games, would exist twice.

So only U5 and U6 will appear on the shelf. And this might piss off some people wanting to buy U5+U6 (as they already own U4) if only the full U4+U5+U6 bundle is for sale - they might ask for a price reduction.

What do you think?
Tarque: I'm not sure whether Ultima 4+5+6 will be unbundled, but this way U4, which is already there as it is one of the "greetings to GOG, get some free games" games, would exist twice.

So only U5 and U6 will appear on the shelf. And this might piss off some people wanting to buy U5+U6 (as they already own U4) if only the full U4+U5+U6 bundle is for sale - they might ask for a price reduction.

What do you think?
You will have the game twice. And the strange thing is that the free version is smaller and has a different version number than the unbundled one.
Attachments:
u4_free.jpg (131 Kb)
Post edited March 19, 2015 by moonshineshadow
skeletonbow: We can probably all agree now that everyone is alpha testing right now whether they signed up for any test or not though. :)
ReynardFox: Yeah no kidding. I don't like being a guinea pig unless it's on my own terms GOG. :p
Yeah, I'm increasingly disappointed but not angry about it. I may throw out some humour about it mind you. ;)

I do hope they do post-mortem/post-facto analysis of projects/etc. to discuss internally what went right, what went wrong, how failures/problems could be solved better in the future more smoothly and improve policies/procedures systematically though. It's a great way to turn mistakes into lessons learned for future success for the better.
Tarque: I'm not sure whether Ultima 4+5+6 will be unbundled, but this way U4, which is already there as it is one of the "greetings to GOG, get some free games" games, would exist twice.

What do you think?
moonshineshadow: You will have the game twice. And the strange thing is that the free version is smaller and has a different version number than the unbundled one.
Indeed? Then I'll have to check. I bought the full package (actually, all Ultima games) and when I played U4, In installed the free version as it was standalone.
And you're correct, I just checked my shelf and all the Ultimas are already unbundled, with U4 twice. :) Curious.

Does anybody know the difference between the "full" U4 and the free U4, apart from the version number?
I'm actually liking all the new box art, some is a bit dodgy and all The Incredible Machine games have the same art at the moment so I'm hoping it's still a work-in-progress
This might sound incredibly anal but could Chinese Chess be renames 'Battle Chess II - Chinese Chess' as it says on the box art and Historyline 1914-1918 be renamed 'Battle Isle - Historyline 1914-1918' again as it says on the box art? Just so they hang out with their friends when ordered alphabetically?
high rated
Shendue: Telling the truth doesn't mean you have to insult your customers. You can do it politely and correctly as long as you use reasonable terms.
I wouldn't feel insulted if they just wrote "Sorry for the annoyance, but we are going to split the bundled games because it's necessary for us in the process of porting libraries on GOG Galaxy". I could have disagreed, but i wouldn't have feel insulted. I feel insulted NOW, because they are insulting my intelligence with blatant lies. Not caring for your actual customer base because the growth in new customers and maybe a couple caresses in the form of gifts and nice promos will counterbalance their annoyance is a risky move. Larger and more powerful companies have suffered greatly for similar thoughts in the past.
Personally, i don't even dislike the idea of the client, as long as it adds good features. But when it comes at the cost of usability, it's a whole different beast.
Thing is that they can't come out and say that now, because one of the points they made and emphasised when they first announced the client is that no one's experience would change because of it. Saying now that the unbundling is for the client makes their earlier, repeated statements a lie, so they try to spin this as something they're doing to satisfy the demand from the user base (see, we still care about you!) and pretend that it comes with the added bonus of making things work (better) with the client.

Wurzelkraft: Why can't I opt out of this madness? I've already lost track of my games thanks to your bad search engine and the missing mails after redeeming a gift.
Because that would give you a choice?

mrkgnao: Since when has Steam become the golden standard? Perhaps GOG should aim to be different from Steam, rather than attempt to mimic it.
Ever since it saved PC gaming?
Grargar: We're not talking about the bonus items, but the installers themselves. Each of them is over 400 MB in size.
Which items have been unbundled so far? I don't have any on my shelf but I do have a few bundles.
I only ask because I've seen a few of the games that are unbundled talked about here and I have some on my shelf, but none of mine have unbundled. Are they going User by User?
Post edited March 19, 2015 by paladin181
Wurzelkraft: Why can't I opt out of this madness? I've already lost track of my games thanks to your bad search engine and the missing mails after redeeming a gift.
HypersomniacLive: Because that would give you a choice?

mrkgnao: Since when has Steam become the golden standard? Perhaps GOG should aim to be different from Steam, rather than attempt to mimic it.
HypersomniacLive: Ever since it saved PC gaming?
Yup, it would be much more difficult to offer users the choice to swap between these 2 viewing modes and that would be a nightmare to code.

And I agree with what you say about Steam. While I don't like putting my eggs all in Steam's basket in case we lose access to games, they single-handedly picked up where Microsoft left off. They basically produced competitors like Origin, uPlay, GOG, Humble, Desura, etc.
high rated
opticq: Yup, it would be much more difficult to offer users the choice to swap between these 2 viewing modes and that would be a nightmare to code.

And I agree with what you say about Steam. While I don't like putting my eggs all in Steam's basket in case we lose access to games, they single-handedly picked up where Microsoft left off. They basically produced competitors like Origin, uPlay, GOG, Humble, Desura, etc.
I was being sarcastic in both cases. Are we still in agreement?