It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

cmdr_flashheart: It's likely that most of these games are Steam DRM-free; 11th Hour and 7th Guest are on the DRM-free games on Steam wiki.
Steam is DRM.
cmdr_flashheart: It's likely that most of these games are Steam DRM-free; 11th Hour and 7th Guest are on the DRM-free games on Steam wiki.
Immoli: Steam is DRM.
in your view
amok: in your view
No, objectively. Like how 2+2 = 4.

Whether steam is acceptable or not is subjective.
DarkoD13: They have the same tracks. The difference is that the bundle also has the soundtrack in FLAC format.
Thanks. I was hoping for a full soundtrack to Wizardry 7, but as it stands, there is no reason for me to buy this bundle, since I already own the games I want.
amok: in your view
Immoli: No, objectively. Like how 2+2 = 4.

I can download DRM free games via Steam, so in my subjective view, Steam itself is not DRM. You may object to this, but this is just your view. It is not mine.
Immoli: No, objectively. Like how 2+2 = 4.

amok: I can download DRM free games via Steam,
But you can't.

Facts and opinions are not the same thing.
amok: I can download DRM free games via Steam,
Immoli: But you can't.

Facts and opinions are not the same thing.
But I can....
No it is a DD client that provides many optional services on top of just distibution. It happens to offer DRM functionality but developers and publishers are free not use them if they want to. Some of the games on Steam don't use any DRM.
Well Steam is certainly DRM, no arguments there. However, if I can copy/paste Steam game folders onto other PCs for playing WITHOUT Steam, I am okay with that, and will continue buying Steam "DRM-free" games; granted, however, I don't get installers for these types of games, but the applications work and if I have enough memory, then it's not a problem for me.

Also, another reason I like DRM-free steam games is that I can play and download stuff at the same time, so that's nifty.
Kristian: No it is a DD client that provides many optional services on top of just distibution. It happens to offer DRM functionality but developers and publishers are free not use them if they want to. Some of the games on Steam don't use any DRM.
That's a cool point! I hope more devs take this approach to steam and forgo the DRM provisions.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by cmdr_flashheart
Kristian: No it is a DD client that provides many optional services on top of just distibution. It happens to offer DRM functionality but developers and publishers are free not use them if they want to. Some of the games on Steam don't use any DRM.
That's essentially what I've called "DRM-free-lite" or "DRM-lite" - similar to the Gamersgate model - where a DRM-free version is usually possible but they make you jump through hoops to get it, and where the final result is so inelegant that you might as well just buy it off Humble Store or GOG in the first place (assuming HS offers it DRM-free, which is becoming an increasing rarity there).

Also, there is a minority of games available on Steam where you get a registration code that you can use elsewhere to download a DRM-free version. Obviously The Witcher 1 & 2 fall under this umbrella, as do the Mount & Blade games. Anyone know of others?
cmdr_flashheart: Well Steam is certainly DRM, no arguments there. However, if I can copy/paste Steam game folders onto other PCs for playing WITHOUT Steam, I am okay with that, and will continue buying Steam "DRM-free" games; granted, however, I don't get installers for these types of games, but the applications work and if I have enough memory, then it's not a problem for me.
cmdr_flashheart: That's a cool point! I hope more devs take this approach to steam and forgo the DRM provisions.
"Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a class of technologies[1] that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders, and individuals with the intent to control the use of digital content and devices after sale;"

If you "copy/paste Steam game folders onto other PCs for playing WITHOUT Steam," then per this definition Steam itself is not DRM.
jamyskis: Also, there is a minority of games available on Steam where you get a registration code that you can use elsewhere to download a DRM-free version. Obviously The Witcher 1 & 2 fall under this umbrella, as do the Mount & Blade games. Anyone know of others?
This is perfectly fine. I've bought some of Arcen Game's titles on Steam when they were on sale knowing I could grab the versions on his site. Offline CD-key required, but I'm fine with that.

Mount and Blade still requires online authentication though.
cmdr_flashheart: Well Steam is certainly DRM, no arguments there. However, if I can copy/paste Steam game folders onto other PCs for playing WITHOUT Steam, I am okay with that, and will continue buying Steam "DRM-free" games; granted, however, I don't get installers for these types of games, but the applications work and if I have enough memory, then it's not a problem for me.

That's a cool point! I hope more devs take this approach to steam and forgo the DRM provisions.
amok: "Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a class of technologies[1] that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders, and individuals with the intent to control the use of digital content and devices after sale;"

If you "copy/paste Steam game folders onto other PCs for playing WITHOUT Steam," then per this definition Steam itself is not DRM.
Yeah, but full disclosure, I've been told that copy/paste onto a PC which doesn't have Steam might not work for all games; personally, I only tried with two so far. I am going to experiment more with this.

However, I have been able to play many Steam DRM-free games without logging into steam client on a PC which has Steam client installed; I don't know if having the client there makes a difference. But what I like most of all is being able to download Steam games and play Steam games at the same time.

Also, I think that DRM-free games by definition should also include uninhibited access to game installers, which Steam DRM-free games do not allow.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by cmdr_flashheart
jamyskis: Also, there is a minority of games available on Steam where you get a registration code that you can use elsewhere to download a DRM-free version. Obviously The Witcher 1 & 2 fall under this umbrella, as do the Mount & Blade games. Anyone know of others?
Don't Starve.
Stooner: Don't Starve.
Didnt some of the Arcen games (Valley without wind, AI war) fall into this territory too? Specifically A Valley without wind 1 and Tidalis (and AI war/Some expansions) with the trial versions on their site?