It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
MadalinStroe: Textures only requires video RAM(VRAM). Considering how old the game is, any current generation video card(with 2-4 GB) should have no problem running the game.
That's the problem....some of us(like me, sadly) have to make do with integrated video chip sets that use shared video ram. I myself use an Intel one(I forget the model and make), and wonder if it can handle this, which is why I asked. :)

============================================================
Swedrami: *cough* Diablo *cough*
*cough* Blade Runner *cough*
There's a BIG difference in terms of apparent interest, though.

Wishlist numbers(more or less):

Diablo(even without the duplicate entries): 58K votes/wishes

Blade Runner(ditto): 28K votes/wishes

whereas ALL Dungeon Siege entries COMBINED entries only total less than 9-10K votes/wishes.

Now none of this is to say the games are bad or that I don't want them...it's just that(to GOG and partners) there's a much bigger apparent/visible desire for the former 2 games than Dungeon Siege.

Swedrami: True, but I wouldn't say it's completely out of the question for those titles to show up here one day eventually.
This depends on who owns the rights....as a few are VERY anti-GOG/anti-DRM free(or so it would seem)....and barring a minor miracle some of those games might not ever show up here.

(Though of course I could be wrong and would LOVE to be proven wrong :))
Post edited February 17, 2020 by GameRager
tfishell: Or maybe it depends on the publisher?
Yes. Most publishers just have the old games on Steam and don't care further.
Post edited February 17, 2020 by idbeholdME
tfishell: Or maybe it depends on the publisher?
idbeholdME: Yes. Most publishers just have the old games on Steam and don't care further.
Maybe. at least we can't blame GOG for not trying to bring old games they think will sell and a lot of the community wants; I'm quite sure they want the Dungeon Siege series here, based on votes I've seen in the wishlist.
low rated
antrad88: I have not noticed a change in framerate during gameplay, only the initial load time has been increased. I even tried it on my Intel integrated graphics, and even with that I get the same framerate with and without the new textures.
Sounds good and this is VERY WELCOME NEWS as I also have such a graphics chipset.

BTW how much longer are we talking here(on load times)? A few extra moments...double the loading time or close to it....etc?

antrad88: This only contains textures for the original game, but LOA mostly uses the same textures. I only updated the displacer texture for LOA which you can download from the link on the ModDB page in description. As for other LOA textures I can't say anything right now except that I need a very long break from this, this was very overwhelming project, it felt like it will never end.
First off, I hope I didn't sound ungrateful when I asked about this.....you did a very good thing for so many and a break is to expected(on your end I mean....i'm gonna be playing the CRAP out of this :D).

I only asked as if you did THIS GOOD with the main game then you'd likely do as good if you ever set to doing the expansion as well....but no pressure/forcing/rush. :)

antrad88: Yes, once you extract the files you just copy them in Resources folder. You can find instructions in the included README.
Thank you, and thanks for replying. :)
==============================================

idbeholdME: Yes. Most publishers just have the old games on Steam and don't care further.
It's likely because there is less work involved and they can sell to a bigger user base(and for some being able to drm their games, most likely)...at least that's what i'm guessing.
Post edited February 17, 2020 by GameRager
GameRager: Sounds good and this is VERY WELCOME NEWS as I also have such a graphics chipset.

BTW how much longer are we talking here(on load times)? A few extra moments...double the loading time or close to it....etc?

First off, I hope I didn't sound ungrateful when I asked about this....
No worries, I also hope I didn't sound negatively with my answer. As for Intel graphics I must warn you performance on those is not great at 1080p, but it is playable. Performance increases significantly on lower resolutions. As for loading screens on my computer the loading time increased from 2 seconds to around 5 seconds.
Post edited February 17, 2020 by antrad88
low rated
antrad88: No worries, I also hope I didn't sound negatively with my answer.
You did not sound negative...I just always try to explain myself a lot to make sure others don't misread what I mean when replying(as can happen on the internet sometimes with some people). :)

antrad88: As for Intel graphics I must warn you performance on those is not great at 1080p, but it is playable. Performance increases significantly on lower resolutions. As for loading screens on my computer the loading time increased from 2 seconds to around 5 seconds.
Well I have 1366x768 or so so I am guessing it will play well.

Also thanks for the loading time information as well. :)
Great work!
high rated
samuraigaiden: Your work is amazing, I played a lot of Abuse using your SDL port. Thanks!
Thanks and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed playing Abuse. When I spent a whole month trying to figure out the messy Abuse code and later doing something similar with Chrome I said I will never spend so much time trying to fix an old game. And now I spent 4 months updating thousands of textures :)
Great job!
The new textures look more detailed, but they're still faithful to the original.
(I didn't expect 6GBs tho..)

Now, if only Gog managed to release the DS titles here (complete with expansions)..
(and if a mod fixed the game's hard mode and another improved items & spells for medium-high levels..)
Post edited February 18, 2020 by phaolo
high rated
phaolo: (I didn't expect 6GBs tho..)
The algorithm I used to enhance the textures increases the width and height 4 times, which means 16 increase in surface area and size. Luckily Dungeon Siege devs used some good compression, because the new textures are actually 8.2 GB, but compressed they are only 5.97 GB.

Also this is the first time I hit limitations of 32 bit programs. First when I went to pack the textures into dsres files (think of it like Dungeon Siege rar archives), the program would stop when hitting 4 GB. Then the game would not load dsres files larger than 2 GB. Luckily the game was designed to load multiple dsres files. It is surprising all this even works, considering the increase in size.
high rated
Today I uploaded a new mod called "SeeFar2020". This is a compilation of modifications for Dungeon Siege and Legends Of Aranna that increase the draw distance, add more camera control options, add support for more resolutions, fix 3D character preview in inventory and slightly increase the default font size.

All these modifications are independent of each other, player can choose which one to use. In combination with high resolution textures this will make the game look significantly better than before (updated textures were not used in the screenshot below).

https://i.imgur.com/PWvT93R.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DYMTH1c.jpg

You can read more about it and download on ModDB:
https://www.moddb.com/games/dungeon-siege/downloads/seefar2020-increased-draw-distance-and-minor-improvements

NOTE: This has not been tested on the whole maps, please notify me if there are some issues or if all works fine.
antrad88: Today I uploaded a new mod called "SeeFar2020". This is a compilation of modifications for Dungeon Siege and Legends Of Aranna that increase the draw distance, add more camera control options, add support for more resolutions, fix 3D character preview in inventory and slightly increase the default font size.
Thank you, will definitely be trying this out on my next play through :)
Great work and will try it out for my next run of a great game that is sadly forgotten now.

Kudos mate.
antrad88: You can read more about it and download on ModDB:
https://www.moddb.com/games/dungeon-siege/downloads/seefar2020-increased-draw-distance-and-minor-improvements

NOTE: This has not been tested on the whole maps, please notify me if there are some issues or if all works fine.
Questions: The DL page says not to use plus 18 on the maximum draw distance...I assume that means putting the slider all the way to the right on maximum distance?

Also what should one set minimum draw distance to to see the most(and have the least stuff hidden by fog/etc)? The lowest or highest slider setting?

Lastly, I know you've done a ton, but do you know of any mod to make books(which I don't like to drop smaller in inventory or more easily carried(so one doesn't have to drop any of them if possible)?

Thanks in advance...and YOU ROCK! :)
high rated
Thanks everybody.

GameRager: Questions: The DL page says not to use plus 18 on the maximum draw distance...I assume that means putting the slider all the way to the right on maximum distance?

Also what should one set minimum draw distance to to see the most(and have the least stuff hidden by fog/etc)? The lowest or highest slider setting?

Lastly, I know you've done a ton, but do you know of any mod to make books(which I don't like to drop smaller in inventory or more easily carried(so one doesn't have to drop any of them if possible)?
You did not read the instructions correctly and are mixing things. On the ModDB page I make a clear distinction between "See Far" mod that increases draw distance and "Camera" mod that changes camera distance. These are two separate things; draw distance is how far away from the player will fog and terrain be rendered, camera distance is how far away the camera is from player.

In the Camera mod I wrote a note:

"Increasing Maximum Camera Distance over 18 moves the fog closer towards the player. Use Plus6 or Plus12 versions of See Far to push the fog back by 6 or 12 meters to intended distance."

If you open the game, you will see 18 is default "Maximum camera distance" and it can go to 30. So, if you set it to 30, this means you changed it by 12, but it will also move the fog 12 meters towards the player which is a flaw. So, you then use "Plus12" versions of the See Far files (for example sf_SeeFar100_Plus12.dsres) which will fix this flaw. Use Plus6 if you changed it by 6.

As for the books, I don't know about a mod like that. You should search for something like a inventory size increase mod. There are a bunch of these on this website:
http://ds.gemsite.org//web/index.php/mods/gui-view/GET/detail-28
Post edited February 29, 2020 by antrad88