It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Time to make those cards sing.

CD PROJEKT RED just announced the start of Public Beta for <span class="bold">GWENT: The Witcher Card Game</span> for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
For those who still haven't felt its warm embrace, GWENT is an engrossing card game featuring creatures, characters, and lore from The Witcher series.

You can download <span class="bold">GWENT</span> from GOG.com and start playing immediately.
Moreover, since the game is powered by GOG Galaxy, those playing on PC will be able to do battle with their Xbox One and PS4 friends!

“Public Beta is an important step towards GWENT’s final release,” said Marcin Iwiński, co-founder of CD PROJEKT RED. “We’re opening the gates to everyone who wanted to play, but didn’t make it into the Closed Beta, and — at the same time — we’re introducing some pretty significant content and gameplay changes like adding animated versions of cards for every card in the game, new starter decks, or how weather cards work,” Iwiński adds. “I’m extra curious how all of the community feedback we’ve incorporated will resonate with both current players and those who’re just starting. Please keep the feedback coming, we’re listening!”

In addition to the cinematic trailer, CD PROJEKT RED has also released a gameplay video presenting GWENT’s features (you can watch them both below), and a set of faction videos covering the playstyles of each of the game’s five factions.

More information about GWENT and the Public Beta is available in the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> section of <span class="bold">playgwent.com</span>.

Watch the cinematic trailer.

Watch the gameplay trailer.
Post edited May 24, 2017 by maladr0Id
SnarkLord1980: People need to learn what micro transactions actually means. All the cards can be unlocked just by playing, so that isn't a MICRO TRANSACTION. Lrn2Englsh.
Nix31: What? A microtransaction in an item that can be bought for an in-game world with real-world money. It doesn't matter how many hours you can grind to get the same items without paying $, the microtransactions are still there.
I guess he's confusing micro-transaction with pay to win.

Lrn2Englsh made me laugh.
Post edited May 24, 2017 by TheUbik
BKGaming: Not really some games use an online connection to force DRM, other use is because the game is specifically designed for an online experience. The first one is DRM, the latter is not.

Some people have a hard time understanding the difference...
I can see the difference and yet I'm not really happy with such a game here. And I really have to wonder why they originally rejected Gremlins Inc. when they are fine with such a model. After all that game was designed to be played in multi-player and online as well.

Only allowing such games when they are made by their own company is a little hypocritical.
First of all, I am really glad to see the card game market is growing. But as a Hearthstone player with 1k+ games on my account, I must say, this one feels really ackward. It lacks the intuitive feel and I really dislike the way cards just lie on the board once they have been played. Even the card placement feels pretty empty in my opinion - I mean it doesn't add much value to the game imho - just line em up, get a buff ... I don't know. In this state I really doubt, this was developed with the intention to challenge Hearthstone, which is a shame in my oppinion. I hope the Pay2Win vs Free2Play thingy will be balanced with care, otherwise, I don't see this attracting players outside The Witchers fanbase at all.
Post edited May 24, 2017 by RetroBaer
PaterAlf: I can see the difference and yet I'm not really happy with such a game here. And I really have to wonder why they originally rejected Gremlins Inc. when they are fine with such a model. After all that game was designed to be played in multi-player and online as well.

Only allowing such games when they are made by their own company is a little hypocritical.
I'm not saying GOG will or will not allow such a model on GOG, rather that it's not contradicting their DRM Free policy. As far as Gremlins Inc, that was a released game/version. Gwent is in development and in beta. We have no idea if the released version will be online only with no offline single player, what I posted above makes it clear CDPR would like single player to be capable offline.

EDIT: Took out something I was wrong about. Sorry.
Post edited May 24, 2017 by BKGaming
nightcraw1er.488: Look at the game card page, just below system specs (and having to type this as can't access the link on this computer):
GWENT: ... The game requires an online connection to play and offers "optional" in-game purchases. Single player campaign will be added at a later date.

Now, you know English may be my first language and all that, but I read the above as: This game is online only (even if only currently), has in-game microtransactions (we all know what Optional means on this site!). Do correct me if I am reading this incorrectly.
SnarkLord1980: People need to learn what micro transactions actually means. All the cards can be unlocked just by playing, so that isn't a MICRO TRANSACTION. Lrn2Englsh.
**Clearly stated excerpt of English text **
and offers "optional" in-game purchases
**End of clearly stated excerpt of English text**

Learn to read.
RetroBaer: It lacks the intuitive feel and I really dislike the way cards just lie on the board once they have been played.
Elder people say that originally card games were just like that :P

RetroBaer: Even the card placment feels pretty empty in my opinion - I mean it doesn't add much value to the game imho - just line em up, get a buff ... I don't know.
It matters if you place a card to the left or to the right of another card. It makes the game much deeper actually.

RetroBaer: this was developed with the intention to challenge Hearthstone
This is the collectible card game most different to Hearthstone that I can think of. Even Magic The Gathering is more close to Hearthstone than Gwent.

RetroBaer: I hope the Pay2Win vs Free2Play thingy will be balanced with care
Me too. It seems well balanced so far, I'm confident that it will keep to be like this.

EDIT: grammar
Post edited May 24, 2017 by TheUbik
BKGaming: Not really some games use an online connection to force DRM, other use is because the game is specifically designed for an online experience. The first one is DRM, the latter is not.

Fair enough, that makes sense. However, we have a card game with microtransactions, presently requiring an internet connection regardless of mode and at the same time we have on GOG's front page: "On GOG.com, no matter if you are online or offline, you will never be locked away from your purchases.".

I'm actually open to trying GWENT and other multiplayer experiences using Galaxy, but GOG should be more clear on their DRM statement and what it means. They seem assume it to mean x and users often assume it to mean y and we are left in a pretty confusing situation. Or, at least, it doesn't come out as honest and transparent as I'd like.
BKGaming: It's not the first game released on GOG that was in development and could only be used on Galaxy/Online.
I'm curious to know, which games were these?
Post edited May 24, 2017 by Nix31
Nix31: ...but GOG should be more clear on their DRM statement and what it means. They seem assume it to mean x and users often assume it to mean y and we are left in a pretty confusing situation.
Completely agree, and I have been pushing for such for a long time now.
BKGaming: It's not the first game released on GOG that was in development and could only be used on Galaxy/Online.
Name one other game. As far as I know every InDev game had a singleplayer offline mode and standalone installers.
PaterAlf: Isn't that contradicting?

So we can use this product offline then? The answer is no, I have to rely on an internet service being available. Personally I don't care what you or others define as DRM, if I am not able to play my product on my machine without dialling up some server, then that is controlling the use of my digital product. Some, most likely fictional future in which the product does have this feature cannot be brought into it as it has not happened.
***Scrub that line as can't find the relevant post, anyway the point is we cant say something is just on the posibilty that it might someday,
This product most definately is online only at the moment, clearly written on the games page, hence, even with thier quite loose term of DRM free meaning offline single player, doesn't fit. So contradictory.
Post edited May 24, 2017 by nightcraw1er.488
The email i got for gwent said galaxy token will be downloaded and can be removed. Is this the first of the dodgy offline installers the prophecies have foretold?
nightcraw1er.488: Look at the game card page, just below system specs (and having to type this as can't access the link on this computer):
GWENT: ... The game requires an online connection to play and offers "optional" in-game purchases. Single player campaign will be added at a later date.

Now, you know English may be my first language and all that, but I read the above as: This game is online only (even if only currently), has in-game microtransactions (we all know what Optional means on this site!). Do correct me if I am reading this incorrectly.
That looked like you were saying that Multiplayer requiring to be Online to play is DRM, like, this is a mode which requires internet to play nad it's been like that for a very long time. Since the Singleplayer will be available in full release it'd be most likely playable without the internet or Galaxy.

As for the microtransactions well, you can buy em directly or using the in-game currency which you get by winning the game.
Post edited May 24, 2017 by Kayx291
PaterAlf: Name one other game. As far as I know every InDev game had a singleplayer offline mode and standalone installers.
Apologies, I remember reading about a game that basically didn't have a single player portion yet. I thought that was Descent: Underground but it looks like it did have one, just not the actual single player story. Just a very limited (ie not very good) offline mode.
brainvision: I really don't get the point about blaming of the online only (that is not true, btw) "issue": I mean it's 2017, do we really want to play cards game or chess ones versus artificial intelligence? Or maybe it's 1980?
Oh snap, he played the "it's the years such and such card"! Everybody, uninstall your old games, it's over.
nightcraw1er.488: So we can use this product offline then? The answer is no, I have to rely on an internet service being available. Personally I don't care what you or others define as DRM, if I am not able to play my product on my machine without dialling up some server, then that is controlling the use of my digital product. Some, most likely fictional future in which the product does have this feature cannot be brought into it as it has not happened.

This product most definately is online only at the moment, clearly written on the games page, hence, even with thier quite loose term of DRM free meaning offline single player, doesn't fit. So contradictory.
Cleary you need to learn the point of a beta... it's not to provide every single feature you want right now. It's to test things that need to be tested before an official release where people expect things to work. Planned features will be missing or limited until a release. After release if there is no offline version then you have a more significant ground to stand on... right now it's complaining to complain.

Tis the freedom of choice and a free market. Don't like it then don't buy it or pay anything for it. Let the rest of us enjoy the product we want to play in peace.
Post edited May 24, 2017 by BKGaming