It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Honorable knights and noble ladies!

I have come here to ask your assistance in stopping the wave of spambots that have infiltrated our lines.

In my efforts, I have ventured through many game subforums and struck down multiple threads. However, I am afraid not all have perished.

Should you find a subforum where spam threads still remain abundant, please provide a link (to the sub forum - can't delete threads from within the thread) here below. I vow to boldly go and defeat it, bringing peace and order to all the realms!
Ciris: Honorable knights and noble ladies!

I have come here to ask your assistance in stopping the wave of spambots that have infiltrated our lines.

In my efforts, I have ventured through many game subforums and struck down multiple threads. However, I am afraid not all have perished.

Should you find a subforum where spam threads still remain abundant, please provide a link (to the sub forum - can't delete threads from within the thread) here below. I vow to boldly go and defeat it, bringing peace and order to all the realms!
Aturuxo: The frontlines seem to be quiet at the moment, but here you have some of the subforums that are usually attacked:
http://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_2#1423040508
http://www.gog.com/forum/might_and_magic_series#1423042838
http://www.gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series#1423040565
http://www.gog.com/forum/fallout_series#1423040547

Edit: or not so quiet, i've seen some fresh spam while fetching the links
I SWEAR I went through the first page of those like 20 minutes ago... :/ But I shall go at it again! My good comrade is also trying to ban them from the mysterious back-end system we use, we will see how effective it will be.
Ciris: I SWEAR I went through the first page of those like 20 minutes ago... :/ But I shall go at it again! My good comrade is also trying to ban them from the mysterious back-end system we use, we will see how effective it will be.
toxicTom: Currently the bots put out spam every few minutes in each thread. But we already had occurrences with multiple threads per minute - for hours. To slow them down maybe first lock the user accounts - it takes them a little longer to make new accounts. I've reported two of the quickly spamming bots to Firek yesterday and they were gone a few minutes after each time. It doesn't help much to ban the slow spamming bots though since they will just make new accounts.
We're trying to battle these guys by changing their emails, blocking them from forums etc. in the backend here in the marketing area. There's an independent deadly force in the support team, who do their best to react to info via support channels. Hopefully, together, we'll conquer (at least some of) the spambots!
cyboff: effective ban hammer? it is not, unfortunately ...
When they went from 5-20 threads per sub forum to 100, I was no longer able to catch up D:

I will do my best to get more people (that are more knowledgeable in communicating with computers and making websites do things) in on this. I'm sorry if I've failed you :(
toxicTom: Bot switched to a new user: lkjsgehwo
Ciris: When they went from 5-20 threads per sub forum to 100, I was no longer able to catch up D:
toxicTom: Well at least now you know how we've felt for last week... :-/
I'd noticed SOME spam before, but I must've not encountered the forums that were as flooded by it - I'm in contact with support and the web team to figure something out, though. Hopefully, there'll be something we can do soon!
UPDATE:

The web team has put more men on the job of creating a solution to this problem. It will be done ASAP - they need to make sure it doesn't delete regular posts as well as spam once implemented, which is why it's not a question of one button (the big red button that has "DELETE EVERYTHING" on it).

I'm hoping this will get implemented quickly, and I'm asking you all for a bit more patience - we'll restore order to the forums!

Now, back to my banhammer (and figuring out how your banhammering scripts work)!
cyboff: well toxicTom's scripts are quite powerful tools for clearing, but first you should do something like e.g. not to allow creating forums with non-english characters in the title..
There's a risk they'd still slip by somehow, or that users that use special characters of some sort would get banned if we do a quick solution like that, plus it might not be technically possible, so instead the web team is concentrating efforts on creating a solution that would deal with spam in general and spammy user accounts :)
It seems to always be the top sub forums, doesn't it? Or did they also go into the smaller game forums, inside threads etc.?
Ciris: Honorable knights and noble ladies!

Fever_Discordia: What about the wishlist? I keep seeing spammy comments on there too...
I've been going through the wishlist as well, but I can't commit more than an hour or two each day to being the human spam-filter, I have too much other stuff on my plate work-wise :(

Also, if you guys are still determined to fight the good fight and battle the spam bots with those scripts and whatnot, feel free to - I will let you know if the devs inform me it's interfering with their own plots :) I'll do my best to help out as well, and hopefully at least minimise the amount of spam before a solution is ready to implement.
Aturuxo: So, after 2 weeks of reporting, filing support tickets, opening threads and wishes and what not, all we get is ONE blue deleting threads MANUALLY for 1-2 hrs.? Really? It's a joke, right?

While the GOG CEOs enjoy their prank, the usual forums are still under heavy fire from the spambots.
Actually, it wasn't a prank, but an attempt to get rid of some spam while we try to work on a permanent solution with more men on the job (with fewer CEOs involved than you seem to think ;) ). And it was a success!

Lo and behold, we have implemented an anti-spam system that should stop subforums and the general discussions forum (both language versions) from being flooded by spambots!

It's an external API that blocks users based on IP from a general spam database. So far it seems to be effective (2 spambots have already been "caught" before they could post), and works well - revoking a user's posting rights.

As this is a new solution, things may go wrong - they shouldn't, but there's always that slim chance that they might, so I'd like to say ahead of time what to do in the two cases that come to mind:
-- Some of you might get added to the spam list and be unable to post. If that happens, contact our support via email and they'll unlock you as soon as they see your e-mail.
-- Not all spam might get filtered - in that case, please link a spammy thread here or in a support ticket and we'll add the bot manually to the "black list".

We hope this will work as a solution to keep 'em bots well away from here!

[edit] Previously created spam threads have to be deleted manually. We'll do our best to get to all of them, but we may miss some - so be patient and link 'em if you keep finding some old ones after a day or two, please!
Post edited February 05, 2015 by Ciris
Maxvorstadt: The spamblocking uses a database of known spammers, so new spammers can arise nearly every second. They have to find a way to deal with new spammers!
I've let the dev team know it remains an issue (we initially thought it was a bunch of bots trying to raise the SEO value of their product - which is usually known spammers), they're looking into it and trying to find a way to improve the method. I'll keep you posted on updates.
The anti-spam system seems to be working rather well at the moment. Some bad threads may still get through but we're still working on additional mechanisms of spam-blocking and are about to launch another anti-spam measure - we'll see if it's more effective :)
We have added another preventative measure to battle the many spambots that have been attacking our forums - it is no longer possible to create a forum thread if you only have the set of free games you get upon registration in your game library (adding posts to existing topics is not affected). This should rid us entirely of unwanted spam threads, as spambots will be unable and/or unwilling to purchase games.

If this will prove to be a big inconvenience for users, we will remove it - but it should rid us entirely of spam. We will continue working on solutions less restrictive to other users once the flood of spambots is under control.
PaterAlf: Don't think that's a good solution in the long run. There are lots of situations where people might want to ask some questions before they decide to buy a game (about perfomance on their system, payment methods or DRM-free policy for example). Making them buy a game before they can ask this questions is a major inconvenience and might lead to a loss of income or new customers for GOG.
It's a solution for now, until we solve the spam problem. Then, if we find a better one, we'll implement that instead of this :) we're considering a few now, but are going to wait a few days until we can see if spam has cleared up or not before we make a move (to know if this is a "safe option" in terms of spam protection to fall back on).