It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Maxvorstadt: Another strange thing is that after the reporting most reported threads stay white and the red bar also stays.
You have to manually hit F5 after finish. There is no auto-page reload since I have no way to keep track which pages were loaded and reported with this little snippet of code.
So, after 2 weeks of reporting, filing support tickets, opening threads and wishes and what not, all we get is ONE blue deleting threads MANUALLY for 1-2 hrs.? Really? It's a joke, right?

While the GOG CEOs enjoy their prank, the usual forums are still under heavy fire from the spambots.
Aturuxo: So, after 2 weeks of reporting, filing support tickets, opening threads and wishes and what not, all we get is ONE blue deleting threads MANUALLY for 1-2 hrs.? Really? It's a joke, right?

While the GOG CEOs enjoy their prank, the usual forums are still under heavy fire from the spambots.
Actually, it wasn't a prank, but an attempt to get rid of some spam while we try to work on a permanent solution with more men on the job (with fewer CEOs involved than you seem to think ;) ). And it was a success!

Lo and behold, we have implemented an anti-spam system that should stop subforums and the general discussions forum (both language versions) from being flooded by spambots!

It's an external API that blocks users based on IP from a general spam database. So far it seems to be effective (2 spambots have already been "caught" before they could post), and works well - revoking a user's posting rights.

As this is a new solution, things may go wrong - they shouldn't, but there's always that slim chance that they might, so I'd like to say ahead of time what to do in the two cases that come to mind:
-- Some of you might get added to the spam list and be unable to post. If that happens, contact our support via email and they'll unlock you as soon as they see your e-mail.
-- Not all spam might get filtered - in that case, please link a spammy thread here or in a support ticket and we'll add the bot manually to the "black list".

We hope this will work as a solution to keep 'em bots well away from here!

[edit] Previously created spam threads have to be deleted manually. We'll do our best to get to all of them, but we may miss some - so be patient and link 'em if you keep finding some old ones after a day or two, please!
Post edited February 05, 2015 by Ciris
Aturuxo: So, after 2 weeks of reporting, filing support tickets, opening threads and wishes and what not, all we get is ONE blue deleting threads MANUALLY for 1-2 hrs.? Really? It's a joke, right?

Ciris: Actually, it wasn't a prank, but an attempt to get rid of some spam while we try to work on a permanent solution with more men on the job (with fewer CEOs involved than you seem to think ;) ). And it was a success!

Lo and behold, we have implemented an anti-spam system that should stop subforums and the general discussions forum (both language versions) from being flooded by spambots!

It's an external API that blocks users based on IP from a general spam database. So far it seems to be effective (2 spambots have already been "caught" before they could post), and works well - revoking a user's posting rights.

As this is a new solution, things may go wrong - they shouldn't, but there's always that slim chance that they might, so I'd like to say ahead of time what to do in the two cases that come to mind:
-- Some of you might get added to the spam list and be unable to post. If that happens, contact our support via email and they'll unlock you as soon as they see your e-mail.
-- Not all spam might get filtered - in that case, please link a spammy thread here or in a support ticket and we'll add the bot manually to the "black list".

[edit] Previously created spam threads have to be deleted manually. We'll do our best to get to all of them, but we may miss some - so be patient and link 'em if you keep finding some old ones after a day or two, please!
Well, this sounds good. Hope it really works, because our triggerfingers are getting hurt after a long time fighting spam.
Ciris: Actually, it wasn't a prank, but an attempt to get rid of some spam while we try to work on a permanent solution with more men on the job (with fewer CEOs involved than you seem to think ;) ). And it was a success!

Good to hear. Hopefully this will be the last of it. Thank you for helping Ciris, and for keeping us informed :)
Well, I`ve seen new spam here:
http://www.gog.com/forum/might_and_magic_series#1423130934
Maxvorstadt: Well, I`ve seen new spam here:
http://www.gog.com/forum/might_and_magic_series#1423130934
Perhaps because the user registered before the new anti-spam stuff was activating? I don't know, but that would be my guess based on how the explanation of the antispam stuff is worded.
Ciris: Lo and behold, we have implemented an anti-spam system that should stop subforums and the general discussions forum (both language versions) from being flooded by spambots!
Doesn't seem to help much. Numerous posts in the last minute...

Ciris: It's an external API that blocks users based on IP from a general spam database. So far it seems to be effective (2 spambots have already been "caught" before they could post), and works well - revoking a user's posting rights.
I don't want to dishearten you and I'm only guessing (since i can't see the IPs of the bots) but I think they're using VPN/Proxies to mask their IP addresses anyway.
The spamblocking uses a database of known spammers, so new spammers can arise nearly every second. They have to find a way to deal with new spammers!
Maxvorstadt: The spamblocking uses a database of known spammers, so new spammers can arise nearly every second. They have to find a way to deal with new spammers!
I've let the dev team know it remains an issue (we initially thought it was a bunch of bots trying to raise the SEO value of their product - which is usually known spammers), they're looking into it and trying to find a way to improve the method. I'll keep you posted on updates.
Maxvorstadt: The spamblocking uses a database of known spammers, so new spammers can arise nearly every second. They have to find a way to deal with new spammers!
Ciris: I've let the dev team know it remains an issue (we initially thought it was a bunch of bots trying to raise the SEO value of their product - which is usually known spammers), they're looking into it and trying to find a way to improve the method. I'll keep you posted on updates.
Good to hear that. I`ll press both thumbs for you that you`ll find a way!
Ciris: I've let the dev team know it remains an issue (we initially thought it was a bunch of bots trying to raise the SEO value of their product - which is usually known spammers), they're looking into it and trying to find a way to improve the method. I'll keep you posted on updates.
Bot iejslfsljf is picking up speed! See http://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_2#1423132894

Seems the yupd-spam-bots are always the most aggressive. Anyone know what they're "advertising"?
Ciris: It's an external API that blocks users based on IP from a general spam database. So far it seems to be effective (2 spambots have already been "caught" before they could post), and works well - revoking a user's posting rights.
Good to hear something is implimented; However i know an easy way to circumvent this easily: TOR (The Onion Router); or some other proxy as mentioned before me. Get blocked? Just reset for a new IP in Germany, or France, or wherever...

Blacklisting all known public proxy servers might work, assuming a real user isn't using it to get past some annoying country based IP blocking... So this is probably a very short term solution, or isn't a solution at all. But for a little while it might help, especially on bots that don't realize they are being blocked...
toxicTom: Anyone know what they're "advertising"?
Best not to find out.... Else you are training other algorithms (google translate and others) that you're actually interested in something when you aren't.
Post edited February 05, 2015 by rtcvb32
rtcvb32: Best not to find out.... Else you are training other algorithms (google translate and others) that you're actually interested in something when you aren't.
ï'm ñót sµΓë Goögle t┌αñ$lαtè woù└d hΣ└p muçh wheÑ i looK α┬ thé spáM tεX┼$. trÿ ┬o ┼┌ans└âté thîs.

Mot active bot atm: lecosehuph - creating a thread in each of the usual subforums every 2 minutes.
Post edited February 05, 2015 by toxicTom

I'm sorry if I was too harsh, I hadn't had my morning coffee yet and finding the forums still flooded with spam made me feel like I had been given a band-aid to heal a maimed leg... I'm glad to see I was wrong and that you were really working on it, I really hope it works.
I don't think you have too many CEOs, it was just a manner of speaking and a way to make clear my rant wasn't targetting you -the Blues- specifically. You guys are just the face of the company, and you do an excellent work.
As a matter of fact, I think GOG is an amazing project and wish I'd found it earlier... you people have managed to make me pay for my games again without feeling stupid! -And that's no small achievement, trust me ;)

This said, the whole community area of the site really needs a seriious revamp (or at least a bunch of usability features), and that API needs some tweaking asap: the Fallout subforum is still being hit as we speak.

Thank you for looking into this, for keeping us informed and for all your work in general.
Post edited February 05, 2015 by Aturuxo