It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sorry to stir up some trouble, but I have a nagging question (as a lgogdownloader user):

What are the benefits and drawbacks using gogrepo.py over lgogdownloader? What gogrepo.py fork is the "best" to use?
solar_dome: gogrepo functioned successfully using python2.7.
Do you mean gogrepo (the Kalanyr fork) works ok for you with python 2.x, but not 3.x?

I thought at this point python3 is recommended or even required for gogrepo, but I guess Kalanyr needs to elaborate. I am using the original gogrepo with Python 3.x.x.

coffeecup: What are the benefits and drawbacks using gogrepo.py over lgogdownloader?
I haven't used lgogdownloader (but I've meant to), but at least the ability to run it also on Windows, as well as Linux, or any OS that supports python, is a benefit for me.

I am running gogrepo both on my Windows and Linux PCs. I recall earlier someone suggesting I could compile lgogdownloader myself for Windows if I want to use it on Windows, but I never got around to do that, also I am unsure if someone is now offering a Windows "port" of it already?

Was the Java port of lgogdownloader still actively supported? Does it run ok in Windows as long as one has Java installed?

EDIT: The little I've followed the lgogdownloader discussions (I have that thread stickied as well), to me it would appear lgogdownloader has more features than gogrepo currently, but I have no idea about the reliability etc., or are they both ok in that sense. But gogrepo currently does pretty much all I want, so I'm fine with gogrepo for now.

EDIT2: Yeah now I remember one drawback with gogrepo: the original author has been silent for quite a long time, I guess the real life took him (a new job and an engagement, IIRC). Luckily some have forked their own projects for gogrepo so I guess it is still actively supported. All I was still waiting from the original author was the change he mentioned earlier about making the "update" process (=getting file details from GOG servers) much faster than what it is currently. Too bad it never materialized, but oh well, it is just extra waiting with getting the file details...
Post edited August 20, 2017 by timppu
coffeecup: What are the benefits and drawbacks using gogrepo.py over lgogdownloader?
The main advantage of gogrepo.py is that it has Windows support and the code is much easier to understand if you want to make your own changes.
Also it has dry run mode which can be useful and it automatically moves orphaned files to another directory.

Advantages for using lgogdownloader are game specific settings, options to modify the directory structure by using various --subdir-* options, regex based blacklisting of files and experimental support for installing games using Galaxy API.

It should be possible to compile lgogdownloader for Windows using mingw/msys or cygwin but I haven't tried it in a long time. And I only test on Linux so no guarantees about Windows compatibility. If it compiles and works on Windows then great but if not and it isn't easy to fix then I won't spend time trying to make it work.

timppu: Was the Java port of lgogdownloader still actively supported? Does it run ok in Windows as long as one has Java installed?
The Java port of lgogdownloader is out of date. It was discontinued in 2014 and apparently the github repository has been deleted.
solar_dome: I am now getting these errors:

python3 gogrepo.py update -os windows linux mac -lang en
23:35:53 | loading local manifest...
23:35:53 | fetching game product data (page 1)...
23:35:54 | fetching game product data (page 2 / 2)...
23:35:54 | found 150 games !!!
23:35:54 | ( 1 / 150) fetching game details for 1nsane...
23:36:05 | error
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gogrepo.py", line 928, in cmd_update
item.downloads = deDuplicateList(item.downloads,{})
File "gogrepo.py", line 454, in deDuplicateList
dummy_item = copy.copy(update_item)
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/copy.py", line 97, in copy
rv = reductor(2)
File "gogrepo.py", line 199, in __getattr__
return self[key]
KeyError: '__getstate__'
solar_dome: If I let it continue, possibly more of the same.
Ahh, the likely issue here is that you're using Python3 , I only tested my additions with Python2. It would appear that python3 copy.copy doesn't like the structure of update_item. I'll have a look when I get a chance but it working on pyrhon3 isn't a high priority for me. Let me know if the issue is happening with Python2 , I'll look into it straight away if it is.

Edit - Ahh, I see it is working on python 2.7. I'll still look into what's going on with Python 3 when I get a chance. It looks like Python3 is expecting a __getstate_ attribute which doesn't exist.

Edit 2- Looks like this is a consequence of woolymethodman using a custom attribdict which isn't really setup for Python3 and he never used anything that hit some of Python 3's differences. I think the fix is fairly easy.
Post edited August 20, 2017 by Kalanyr
Sude: Advantages for using lgogdownloader are game specific settings, options to modify the directory structure by using various --subdir-* options, regex based blacklisting of files and experimental support for installing games using Galaxy API.
That blacklisting ability raised my interest already earlier, I'd certainly like the ability to e.g. skip downloading those unofficial Russian translations (in e.g. Planescape Torment) and alternative Mac/Linux versions (e.g. in Broken Sword) that get always downloaded just because they are in the extras, even if you are trying to download only English/Windows versions.

There is a quick and dirty workaround for gogrepo to achieve a bit of a same (make empty dummy files of those files you don't want to download, and a small change to gogrepo so that it doesn't perform a size check on files before downloading), but having a proper blacklisting ability (possibly with wildcards) would certainly be even better.

Sude: It should be possible to compile lgogdownloader for Windows using mingw/msys or cygwin but I haven't tried it in a long time. And I only test on Linux so no guarantees about Windows compatibility. If it compiles and works on Windows then great but if not and it isn't easy to fix then I won't spend time trying to make it work.
I presume one option for Windows users would be to install some Linux distro on a virtual machine, and run lgogdownloader there. :)

I guess I really should try lgogdownloader at some point too, just to e.g. see if it gets the game details and preliminary checks much faster than gogrepo (it takes me maybe 10 hours or more currently to get all up to date file details for 1384 games in gogrepo, ie. before I can even start downloading anything).
timppu: I guess I really should try lgogdownloader at some point too, just to e.g. see if it gets the game details and preliminary checks much faster than gogrepo (it takes me maybe 10 hours or more currently to get all up to date file details for 1384 games in gogrepo, ie. before I can even start downloading anything).
I was thinking about trying it too, installed it on my system and got the --list to work. Now all I need is a tutorial on the correct way to use it (and to be sure it uses the same directory names as gogrepo). The forum for lgogdownloader has more messages than this one :) so I'm still reading back in 2012. Also want to know how long the update takes. For me, gogrepo takes >> 24 hours.
https://github.com/Kalanyr/gogrepo/tree/working2
gogrepo.py
lines:
534 " '-ids', action='store', help='id(s)/titles(s) of (a) specific game(s) not to update' "
535 " '-skipids', action='store', help='id(s)/titles(s) of (a) specific game(s) to update' "

Should those be reversed?
skipid, to me, sounds like it should not update a specific game.
Post edited August 25, 2017 by solar_dome
solar_dome: https://github.com/Kalanyr/gogrepo/tree/working2
gogrepo.py
lines:
534 " '-ids', action='store', help='id(s)/titles(s) of (a) specific game(s) not to update' "
535 " '-skipids', action='store', help='id(s)/titles(s) of (a) specific game(s) to update' "

Should those be reversed?
skipid, to me, sounds like it should not update a specific game.
Yeah, those descriptions are reversed but the effect should be correct.
timppu: I presume one option for Windows users would be to install some Linux distro on a virtual machine, and run lgogdownloader there. :)

I guess I really should try lgogdownloader at some point too, just to e.g. see if it gets the game details and preliminary checks much faster than gogrepo (it takes me maybe 10 hours or more currently to get all up to date file details for 1384 games in gogrepo, ie. before I can even start downloading anything).
Yes you can share a location between your VM and your host system pretty easily and use your VM to do all your downloading... it works rather well!
So.. is this tool still being improved?
Some guy made a fork, but I don't know any news.

Btw, can life be so good to completely abandon an almost-done project?
I wonder if something bad happened to wooly, instead..
Post edited September 12, 2017 by phaolo
phaolo: So.. is this tool still being improved?
Some guy made a fork, but I don't know any news.

Btw, can life be so good to completely abandon an almost-done project?
I wonder if something bad happened to wooly, instead..
He just got married. The Mrs probably wouldn't tolerate him playing with his online friends anymore... :P I don't know for sure, but yeah..
19:32:51 | attempting gog login as 'dbzlotrfan' ...
19:32:57 | cannot continue, gog is asking for a reCAPTCHA :( try again in a few minutes.
19:32:57 | exiting...

Did GOG change something so that we can no longer use gogrepo?
dbzlotrfan: 19:32:51 | attempting gog login as 'dbzlotrfan' ...
19:32:57 | cannot continue, gog is asking for a reCAPTCHA :( try again in a few minutes.
19:32:57 | exiting...

Did GOG change something so that we can no longer use gogrepo?
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gogrepopy_python_script_for_regularly_backing_up_your_purchased_gog_collection_for_full_offline_e/post853

I kept trying to login using gogrepo after other attempts at logging in at gog.com through browser, and I kept getting that message.
I waited about 15 minutes and was able to login.
Multiple attempts at logging in with gogrepo after successful gogrepo login, results in that message.
paladin181: He just got married. The Mrs probably wouldn't tolerate him playing with his online friends anymore... :P I don't know for sure, but yeah..
Wait.. is this him?
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970508194
(same name, mentioned GOG in the past, last game played 2 days ago)

Can someone contact him via Steam and ask WTF happened?
If he abandoned gogrepo, It would be polite if he could tell us..
Post edited September 14, 2017 by phaolo
phaolo: Can someone contact him via Steam and ask WTF happened?
Yes you can do that. :) I'd rather not push him myself, as if he owed us something. I didn't pay anything for gogrepo so it is up to him whether he has time or feels like doing it anymore.
Post edited September 13, 2017 by timppu