It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Or may be you can just use apt-get? It doesn't have such problem.
shmerl: Or may be you can just use apt-get? It doesn't have such problem.
I keep wanting to emerge, but then I remember I got a headache trying to set up the kernel in gentoo and switched to Debian. XD
i wanted to voice my discontent with the fact that gog only supports CERTAIN linux flavors. while i understand that they are not willing to deal with all the different setups i do NOT see a reason to exclude us from EVER getting a refund on a game that simply doesn't work.

i am THAT close to simply install a virtual machine with windows 7 to get my games refunded if they refuse to work on my favorite distro. this is highly customer unfriendly and not even steam does that. which makes you think really.
entux: i am THAT close to simply install a virtual machine with windows 7 to get my games refunded if they refuse to work on my favorite distro.
FYI, that is a specifically unsupported scenario.
Post edited May 10, 2016 by Gydion
Rough script to show DX11 readiness in Wine: https://gist.github.com/shmerl/b4044bb5a65dad6a47d3a272eb3c3341
Use in the terminal which supports true color.

It probably can miss some DX11 related dlls - I can add them later.
Post edited May 18, 2016 by shmerl
entux: i wanted to voice my discontent with the fact that gog only supports CERTAIN linux flavors. while i understand that they are not willing to deal with all the different setups i do NOT see a reason to exclude us from EVER getting a refund on a game that simply doesn't work.

i am THAT close to simply install a virtual machine with windows 7 to get my games refunded if they refuse to work on my favorite distro. this is highly customer unfriendly and not even steam does that. which makes you think really.
Steam built their own Linux distribution, are you wanting GOG to do something similar?
Like GOGnix? GalaxyOS?
entux: i wanted to voice my discontent with the fact that gog only supports CERTAIN linux flavors. while i understand that they are not willing to deal with all the different setups i do NOT see a reason to exclude us from EVER getting a refund on a game that simply doesn't work.

morrowslant: Steam built their own Linux distribution, are you wanting GOG to do something similar?
Like GOGnix? GalaxyOS?
Steam also includes "The Steam Runtime", which insulates Steam games from the underlying Linux distro by providing known copies of every library the games may depend on.
morrowslant: Steam built their own Linux distribution, are you wanting GOG to do something similar?
Like GOGnix? GalaxyOS?
ssokolow: Steam also includes "The Steam Runtime", which insulates Steam games from the underlying Linux distro by providing known copies of every library the games may depend on.
You know that's nothing new for (Linux) installers, right?
There are Linux installers which just use the global libraries and updates those if required, but there are also Linux installers which use local copies of libraries and uses them instead of the global libraries.
Both have their ups and downs;
1. If an installer uses the global libraries and doesn't get updated for a while, the globals may be higher versions than expected, with different code-hooks. This could make the game stop working over time, or even fail to install as its dependencies aren't met. But it does make sure the game runs on newer distros and can even run more smoothly or with higher quality than before when bugs in those libraries are patched out. It just takes some maintenance from the package-maintainer/game-devs.
2. If an installer uses local versions of libraries, it could lead to it running unstable on the system or even to it opening the system to attacks which had been patched out in the new global versions of those libraries. It will probably run for longer before running into issues, though, mainly due to not having to check for existing dependencies.

Even on Windows there are programs which use their own versions of, say, mono or other libraries. These programs then have the libraries' .dll files located within their installation folders. It's not purely Linux which has this "issue".
Post edited May 19, 2016 by Maki
Hey guys,

We just updated our Linux builds for Planescape Torment and I would like to ask you for some feedback, if possible. Many thanks!

More details here: https://www.gog.com/forum/planescape_torment/planescape_torment_linux_have_been_updated/post1
ssokolow: Steam also includes "The Steam Runtime", which insulates Steam games from the underlying Linux distro by providing known copies of every library the games may depend on.
Maki: You know that's nothing new for (Linux) installers, right?
As far as I know, the Steam Runtime covers the libraries in question more thoroughly.
ssokolow: As far as I know, the Steam Runtime covers the libraries in question more thoroughly.
Some abuse it though. See Grim Fandango Remastered. They literally bundled the whole Steam runtime in the GOG version, even though they probably use only a fraction of it. I think Steam Runtime developers should provide tools to trim it for games that bundle it that way, to limit it only to actually used libraries.
Post edited May 19, 2016 by shmerl
linuxvangog: Hey guys,

We just updated our Linux builds for Planescape Torment and I would like to ask you for some feedback, if possible. Many thanks!

More details here: https://www.gog.com/forum/planescape_torment/planescape_torment_linux_have_been_updated/post1
Personally, I prefer to run the game in GemRB, but I'll give the updated wine version a go.
ssokolow: As far as I know, the Steam Runtime covers the libraries in question more thoroughly.
shmerl: Some abuse it though. See Grim Fandango Remastered. They literally bundled the whole Steam runtime in the GOG version, even though they probably use only a fraction of it. I think Steam Runtime developers should provide tools to trim it for games that bundle it that way, to limit it only to actually used libraries.
That's about 32 megs extra, isn't it?
Post edited May 20, 2016 by king_mosiah
king_mosiah: That's about 32 megs extra, isn't it?
More. In case of Grim Fandango, it's around 193 MB for x86_64 one and 185 MB for x86 one (for some reason they bundle both). And, each has around 7200 files inside. Something to keep the file indexer busy ;) I think it's simply a messy overkill and they can make it neater.
made my first Wine bug submission and two hours later got it fixed :D
The currently is "Active gaming media sale" which includes La Mulana.

This game recently received a Linux port, yet it is still not up on GOG.

Is it coming? Or is it another game I screwed myself over by buying it on GOG instead of Steam?