It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Changing the GPU should be pretty seamless. I wouldn't worry about it.
te_lanus: This is just a quick question that I have.

I'm currently running Mint 17.3 with Cinnamon 2.8.7, using an old MSI GT 240. It's busy dying, and working this easter weekend means there is money to replace it. I'm thinking of getting either the MSI Geforce N730K or the MSI GeForce GT 730.

Since I do play games (and Tomb Raider coming to Linux in april) which one is better and is there any precautions I need to take when I drop the new GPU into the system from a software side.

I do remember when I last had to change hardware on Linux (back when OpenSUSE 10.2 was out) it gave me a three day nightmare to find out why changing my keyboard (from US to UK) would disable my video driver on each reboot. And I would like to skip such a nightmare again.
If you're going to play graphics demanding games I'd skip the 730, it's a weak card for games such as Tomb Raider. A 750ti would do much better in such a case, a GTX 960 would be the next in tier.

I'm using Mint 17.3 on my 2 desktops (both have Nvidia GPU), never had any issues with drivers and keyboards.
te_lanus: This is just a quick question that I have.

I'm currently running Mint 17.3 with Cinnamon 2.8.7, using an old MSI GT 240. It's busy dying, and working this easter weekend means there is money to replace it. I'm thinking of getting either the MSI Geforce N730K or the MSI GeForce GT 730.

Since I do play games (and Tomb Raider coming to Linux in april) which one is better and is there any precautions I need to take when I drop the new GPU into the system from a software side.

I do remember when I last had to change hardware on Linux (back when OpenSUSE 10.2 was out) it gave me a three day nightmare to find out why changing my keyboard (from US to UK) would disable my video driver on each reboot. And I would like to skip such a nightmare again.
Ganni1987: If you're going to play graphics demanding games I'd skip the 730, it's a weak card for games such as Tomb Raider. A 750ti would do much better in such a case, a GTX 960 would be the next in tier.

I'm using Mint 17.3 on my 2 desktops (both have Nvidia GPU), never had any issues with drivers and keyboards.
Agreed. I've got a 750 (Phoronix benchmarks showed that the 750Ti is faster on some workloads but actually slower on others, so it balances out) and, given the price and performance, I wouldn't recommend anything slower for gaming. (I mainly needed a replacement for my freshly dead GT430 that would allow a third monitor.)

You also have the advantage that the 750 is more power-efficient and more featureful because it's a first-generation Maxwell chip (9xx are second-generation Maxwell) while the other 7xx chips are Kepler chips.
Post edited March 28, 2016 by ssokolow
I'll probably get high end Polaris GPU from AMD this year. It should be interesting.
Magnitus: Overall, I highly recommend a better communication with regard to the direction of the Linux experience for end-users. It seems the decision to go from .debs to .sh install scripts to .sh install scripts with incomplete prereqs has been done rather suddenly and in a "hush hush" manner with minimal communication with end-users.
Neither sudden nor "hush hush" as GOG never included the prerequisites even when they were using .deb installers.
Post edited March 28, 2016 by Gydion
Magnitus: Overall, I highly recommend a better communication with regard to the direction of the Linux experience for end-users. It seems the decision to go from .debs to .sh install scripts to .sh install scripts with incomplete prereqs has been done rather suddenly and in a "hush hush" manner with minimal communication with end-users.
Gydion: Neither sudden nor "hush hush" as GOG never included the prerequisites even when they were using .deb installers.
Weird, things just worked by themselves before. It was the first time I had to install other dependencies.

In one case, it was the same game I had installed without a hitch before. Granted, it was a different Linux partition. I guess it's possible I had installed other crap in my older partition to run Humble Store games from before GOG had Linux support.

Even then, the weird thing is that I had installed 2 games on this very partition and everything ran right as rain and then, some time later, II tried installing 2 more games and nothing worked until I installed some deps.
Post edited March 28, 2016 by Magnitus
Magnitus: (…)
If your game is supported by my ./play.it project, the provided scripts will build .deb packages from the GOG installers. These .deb packages do take care of the game dependencies.

You can of course ask for specific games to be added to the project ;-)
Post edited March 28, 2016 by vv221
So, when is Galaxy going to be released?
Having a problem getting Hyper Light Drifter to run on Manjaro 64bit; When I try running the .sh in a terminal I get the following error: ./HyperLightDrifter.x86: /usr/lib32/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_3' not found (required by ./HyperLightDrifter.x86)

I have lib32-libcurl-gnutls 7.42.1-1 installed already... so what do I do?
Post edited April 02, 2016 by king_mosiah
king_mosiah: I have lib32-libcurl-gnutls 7.42.1-1 installed already... so what do I do?
Linux: CURL_OPENSSL_3 not found
atrot: So, when is Galaxy going to be released?
Soonish™
Can anyone tell me what's the best drivers for NVIDIA GeForce GT240M? All this talk about the third party drivers and official ones makes me confused and, speaking of official drivers, is it better to install it from NVIDIA page or from the Additional Drivers menu in Linux Mint?
Spy_Gentleman: Can anyone tell me what's the best drivers for NVIDIA GeForce GT240M? All this talk about the third party drivers and official ones makes me confused and, speaking of official drivers, is it better to install it from NVIDIA page or from the Additional Drivers menu in Linux Mint?
I'll try to explain as concisely as possible:

1a. nVidia's official drivers are the most advanced, but, because they're closed-source, you have to wait for nVidia to release updates in response to changes in Linux and nVidia's not going to continue to support old cards forever. In the short-term, they're the best solution.

1b. In order to ensure the best possible experience in the long run, people are working on reverse-engineering how nVidia cards work so they can release open-source drivers which can be updated at the same time as the Linux kernel and supported for as long as people are interested in doing so.

2. Always choose the Additional Drivers menu. The ones from nVidia's page don't know how to install themselves reliably because of how distros can vary and are more for people who are building things like Mint.
Spy_Gentleman: Can anyone tell me what's the best drivers for NVIDIA GeForce GT240M? All this talk about the third party drivers and official ones makes me confused and, speaking of official drivers, is it better to install it from NVIDIA page or from the Additional Drivers menu in Linux Mint?
There are 2 driver sets for Nvidia cards:

1) Nouveau - which is the open source one, and also vastly inferior in many games.

2) The Proprietary one - Which can be installed either from a repository or downloaded directly from Nvidia.

Personally I've always installed it from the Nvidia website and never had any issues in the one and a half year I'm using Linux. As for the Additional Drivers program, I never used that.
What about the AMD GPU and drivers? I've heard that their drivers are open source, which means AMD is the best choice for Linux gaming, right?
Post edited April 02, 2016 by Spy_Gentleman