It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

dtgreene:
So are you trying to say that using that method we, or preferrably GOG, could force an installer to use bash instead of whatever else happens to come as standard on our distro?

I am pretty lost when it comes to programming.
dtgreene:
Themken: So are you trying to say that using that method we, or preferrably GOG, could force an installer to use bash instead of whatever else happens to come as standard on our distro?

I am pretty lost when it comes to programming.
Yes, that can be done with the first line, which is called the shebang. One just needs to put the proper path to the executable.

(Of course, said interpreter needs to exist on the system; if bash is not already installed, a script that specifies bash is not going to work.)

In any case, my example demonstrates that any program can be made to act as the interpreter, though admittedly this is only useful with some programs.
Phacocaster: But it might be the longer install i ever done !
I'm glad you've managed to install the game. Enjoy it! I still wonder where these installer crashes come from.

Phacocaster: As said, i have a few installer files because i have downloaded it several times. Each installer has its own crash time.
When you still have these installer files, do their md5 sums differ?
Post edited June 01, 2020 by eiii
Phacocaster: But it might be the longer install i ever done !
eiii: I'm glad you've managed to install the game. Enjoy it! I still wonder where these installer crashes come from.

Phacocaster: As said, i have a few installer files because i have downloaded it several times. Each installer has its own crash time.
eiii: When you still have these installer files, do their md5 sums differ?
Good idea. They're different... So even if the installer says the archive's ok, it's not necessarily true.
Phacocaster: They're different... So even if the installer says the archive's ok, it's not necessarily true.
That's bad to hear. But at least it seems to be clear that corrupted installers were causing the problems.
Phacocaster: They're different... So even if the installer says the archive's ok, it's not necessarily true.
eiii: That's bad to hear. But at least it seems to be clear that corrupted installers were causing the problems.
It is. I'll try to make the info reach GOG's support.
I accidentally removed my /.local/share/applications/ folder and lost all menu entries for GOG games. Is there easy way to recreate them? I see in /GOG Games/examplegame/support location are some xdg scripts but have no clue what to do with them.
ssling: I accidentally removed my /.local/share/applications/ folder and lost all menu entries for GOG games. Is there easy way to recreate them? I see in /GOG Games/examplegame/support location are some xdg scripts but have no clue what to do with them.
You can probably write a script that will create them using a template. Most GOG games use the same pattern.
Perhaps someone here can aid me with my current problem.

I'm running Arch Linux and some of my GOG games no longer run. Ronin and Octodad at least. Other games continue to run fine. When running I get the not very common error message:
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Based on the output of ldd I could track all shared libraries, that are installed. I reinstalled Ronin but the same thing happens. I rebooted (could be a localized RAM corruption issue) but nothing changed. Can anyone please suggest a new course of action? I'm all out of ideas.
Gede: Illegal instruction (core dumped)
Interesting. Did it run before? What CPU do you have? May be some microcode update affected it?
Post edited June 12, 2020 by shmerl
Gede: Illegal instruction (core dumped)
shmerl: Interesting. Did it run before? What CPU do you have? May be some microcode update affected it?
They ran perfectly well. That is what puzzles me. I'll see if I can track down a log of the packages installed since my latest save state.

Your reasoning is quite pertinent. I have an old AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 in need of upgrade. But it does what I expect from it. dmesg | grep microcode shows nothing, but I did install a package recently called linux-firmware 20200519.8ba6fa6-1.
Thank you for opening this door for me. I'll see what I can find out.
After another system update, that installed a new kernel and some updated 32-bit libraries, things work well again.
Oh, well, I can't complain. Thanks for the interest.
Hello!

Maybe some one could help me. I am a newer linux user trying to get Monolith the linux version to run. I am using linux mint as my distro.

I tried DLing the required files listed on the store page, but not all of them were able to be DLed. Either way I gave it a shot and Monolith is just not starting up. I think it has to do with something regarding the 32 bit nature of the game and Ubuntu being 64bit? Either way I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Also would the easiest way to get the game to work to just buy the steam version and use steam proton to get it to run?

Advice would be appreciated thanks.
Snuggles988: Advice would be appreciated thanks.
Sorry, I do not have the game you have troubles with, so take my advise accordingly, but…

1) You must ensure the libraries described in the "System Requirements" are installed in your system. Different distros use different naming for these libs, though. But that is a good starting point;
2) Locate the game executable and try to launch it directly via terminal (CLI) and see what it writes to the output. Sometimes GOG's wrapper is a problem in itself and a game works fine if launched directly;
3) Failing that, try to trace all needed libraries by giving the following command in terminal (from a directory containing the game, obviously):
$ ldd -r <name_of_the_executable>
and see what is missing.
Snuggles988: Advice would be appreciated thanks.
Alm888: Sorry, I do not have the game you have troubles with, so take my advise accordingly, but…

1) You must ensure the libraries described in the "System Requirements" are installed in your system. Different distros use different naming for these libs, though. But that is a good starting point;
2) Locate the game executable and try to launch it directly via terminal (CLI) and see what it writes to the output. Sometimes GOG's wrapper is a problem in itself and a game works fine if launched directly;
3) Failing that, try to trace all needed libraries by giving the following command in terminal (from a directory containing the game, obviously):
$ ldd -r <name_of_the_executable>
and see what is missing.
Thank you Alm888 for your time

I started at step one to try and get the libraries described in system requirements to get the game to run. here is where i am currently at with step 1.

"sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libasound2:i386 libasound2-data:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libcurl3:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libopenal1:i386 libglu1:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libasound2-data' instead of 'libasound2-data:i386'
Note, selecting 'libglu1-mesa:i386' instead of 'libglu1:i386'
Package libcurl3:i386 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
libcurl4:i386 libcurl4

E: Package 'libcurl3:i386' has no installation candidate"

So i tried getting the packages that replace them

"sudo apt-get install libcurl4:i386 libcurl4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libcurl4 is already the newest version (7.68.0-1ubuntu2.1).
libcurl4:i386 is already the newest version (7.68.0-1ubuntu2.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

When i try and run the game through the terminal from the folder I get the following

"start.sh
bash: start.sh: command not found" from the games folder and thats what i get.

"ldd -r start.sh
not a dynamic executable"

"ldd -r gog_com-Monolith_1.desktop

"ldd -r start.sh

"./runner: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
"

"locate libcrypto.so.1.0.0
/home/NAME/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/scout_0.20200505.0/files/lib/i386-lin ux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
/home/NAME/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/scout_0.20200505.0/files/lib/x86_64-l inux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
/home/NAME/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
/home/NAME/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0"

that is what I am getting atm. When i double click on the desktop launcher for the game or the start.sh in game file nothing happens.

Thanks again for your time and help, I appreciate it.