It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Leroux: That sounds more or less like my own approach. With those I just test for a short while, it's no problem to get back to them later and maybe start over, it's rather those that I initially intended to play through but then get too bored, annoyed, frustrated or actually stuck (or all of the above, at the same time). And I guess it happens the most with RPGs and adventure games, which are incidentally the worst games to abandon half-way through and also sadly the games I'm most attracted to, despite the great risks they pose to my playstyle (getting stuck on puzzles, getting bored with repetitive trash mob combat or tedious city exploration and item management) ...
Yeah, some games are a bad idea to leave partially done for any length of time as you can forget the controls, your spells/skills and how to use them, the storyline, quests underway or items you need to find and where they are, or any other number of things and it can be hard to get back into. Some games it requires starting over from scratch to re-learn the game even. Getting stuck or getting frustrated on puzzles is another zinger too. I got stuck on the new Tomb Raider game after playing it for several days when it first came out. I made it to the part quite far into the game where Lara falls into a stream flowing down the side of the mountain and you have to guide her through the water left and right to avoid getting killed as the horrid dreaded QTEs (Quick Timer Events) annoy the crap out of you ... she gets killed ... you start at the top of the mountain again and do it over and over and over until you are bored out of your mind and want to punch a bunny. Some 10 or more months later a friend was over and wanted to see the game and I hadn't played it in all that time. I fired it up and complained about the QTEs and managed to make it through the minefield of crap on the way down the mountain the first time! It's a great game but despite that I've still not got back into playing it seriously to complete it after the game dislodged me with repetitive difficult gameplay like that. Years ago I had a similar experience in Halflife 2 where I continuously ran out of ammo at one point and couldn't proceed as there was too heavy of scripted fighting and challenge to get past at this one part and I'd have had to go back way too far in my savegames to stand a chance of making it back to where I was with enough ammo to possibly get past the challenge spot. I love Halflife 2 but have never played it again seriously for over 10 years. One of these days... :)
skeletonbow: I made it to the part quite far into the game where Lara falls into a stream flowing down the side of the mountain and you have to guide her through the water left and right to avoid getting killed as the horrid dreaded QTEs (Quick Timer Events) annoy the crap out of you ... she gets killed ... you start at the top of the mountain again and do it over and over and over until you are bored out of your mind and want to punch a bunny.
Oh man, tell me about it. I really liked the game but if there's anything I absolutely loathed about it, it's this scene. Was close to giving up on it at that point, and boy was I glad when it was finally over. But apparantly we're not the only ones who felt like punching someone after playing it. ;)
Leroux: Oh man, tell me about it. I really liked the game but if there's anything I absolutely loathed about it, it's this scene. Was close to giving up on it at that point, and boy was I glad when it was finally over. But apparantly we're not the only ones who felt like punching someone after playing it. ;)
Hahahaha, yeah that's the exact part of the game I was talking about and it's funny you posted a link to that game review as I was thinking of watching that when I was writing about it. LOL
Postal

Postal is about as good as a rectal prolapse.Plagued with horribly awkward and unresponsive controls,graphics that look lazy even by 1997 standards and painfully bad gameplay playing this game is a chore.For it's crassness and lack of polish Postal 2 at least offered creativity and had some novelty to it.Sadly Postal has zero redeemable qualities.
Post edited July 04, 2014 by Mr.Caine
quit Bastion.

Fantastic art style, great voice over but gameplay is not engaging.

Got to press 2 buttons at the same time just to move? funny direction design making falling down so annoying.

Also keep killing swarming bad guys with no much enemy fight pattern to be noticed aka Zelda's boss alike
Muttala: quit Bastion.

Got to press 2 buttons at the same time just to move? funny direction design making falling down so annoying.
I assume you played it with mouse and keyboard? That felt very weird to me, too. I could only really appreciate the game once I tried playing it with a controller. The diagonal movement betrays that this game was not really made with keyboard controls in mind.
Triple Town

The game feels very polished but the gameplay started to feel like grinding very soon. I must have played it by about two hours and it's the first game from GOG that I regret to buy.
Betrayer. Its outstanding graphics and sound design aren't enough to make up for the mediocre gameplay and frustrating mechanics. The AI alternates between being dumb as a broken brick and being telepathic, sometimes you can hide directly in front of enemies and other times they'll spot you ten miles away...while you're hiding behind a giant boulder. The save system is annoying (somewhat checkpoint based) and there is no quicksave option. I really enjoyed Betrayer for a while but take away the novelty of the graphics, the setting (and its sound design) and everything else about it is just mediocre.

Saints Row 2. Saints Row 2 is really fun, and I would love to keep playing it, but (on PC) driving over ten miles per hour is impossible. Just completely impossible. Touch the gas pedal and try to stay in a straight line for more than five feet, or try to make a turn...I dare ya! It also forces you to do side quests between main storyline missions, as in, you're completely blocked from main storyline missions until you have the minimum amount of reputation that that mission requires.
popperik: Spacechem. Screenshots had me pumped. Then I started the game.
So you thought it looked nice, but the gameplay wasn't good enough. You are one messed up weirdo. lol
NoNewTaleToTell: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut. I'm quitting (for now) mostly because it runs somewhat laggy but also because I'm pretty sure the first thirty minutes of the game is twenty five minutes of cutscene, two minutes of linear walking/listening to the story and three minutes of actual gameplay.
The game lets you experiment a lot, but not in the prologue. Great game.

For me:
South Park: didn't really get going, have to restart. A bit bland.
Remember Me: didn't really get going, have to restart. Tedious combat and linear.
Episodes from Liberty City: unplayable framerate no matter what.
Madam, you are being hunted: cool concept, but repetitive and died too often.
Assassin's Creed: an hour once in a while is enough. :p
Post edited July 13, 2014 by realkman666
NoNewTaleToTell: Saints Row 2. Saints Row 2 is really fun, and I would love to keep playing it, but (on PC) driving over ten miles per hour is impossible. Just completely impossible. Touch the gas pedal and try to stay in a straight line for more than five feet, or try to make a turn...I dare ya! It also forces you to do side quests between main storyline missions, as in, you're completely blocked from main storyline missions until you have the minimum amount of reputation that that mission requires.
If you ever have access to a Xbox controller it'll make that about ten times easier.
It's worth a revisit anyhow.
fracturedsanity: If you ever have access to a Xbox controller it'll make that about ten times easier.
Are you saying playing with an Xbox controller will make the game play like on console, even though it seems badly ported? Are those issues related to the controls rather than performance?
The Bard's Tale(original). I played the first one when it first came out but never finished it. I don't even remember how far I had gotten. So, I bought the remake to get the original 3.
Now I think I know why I never finished it. You can't go 3 steps without a random encounter in the streets, any of which can decimate your party.
fracturedsanity: If you ever have access to a Xbox controller it'll make that about ten times easier.
Leroux: Are you saying playing with an Xbox controller will make the game play like on console, even though it seems badly ported? Are those issues related to the controls rather than performance?
Oh no, it's a very buggy/crashy port. I doubt I could play through it without the Gentlemen Of The Row mod.
But playing with a controller does make the driving a lot more tolerable.
NoNewTaleToTell: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut. I'm quitting (for now) mostly because it runs somewhat laggy but also because I'm pretty sure the first thirty minutes of the game is twenty five minutes of cutscene, two minutes of linear walking/listening to the story and three minutes of actual gameplay.
You have a point! Personally -and I hope I'm not the only one- I didn't like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I would rate it as "decent" at best.
The continue use of cutscenes and scripted events (especially when compared to their nearly complete absence in the first one) was really a major annoyance for me, as it broke the immersion in a game that *should* be totally centered on direct player experience.
This is not the game's only fault, though... I think the game is way too easy and simple: there are none of the complex environments that characterized its predecessor, and in most situations the solutions are just two: "kill'em all, gun balzing! It's not like they can resist ore than a splitsecond, anyway" or "find an extremely evident air duct and proceed undisturbed to the next area without bloodshed". Moreover, the AI is just incredibly bad (mind me, I played it near the launch date, so this might have been improved over time): just look at this video for the combat and this other one for stealth. When I saw that happening while playing, I remained speechless.

Edited to fix the links.
Post edited July 14, 2014 by Enebias
NoNewTaleToTell: Saints Row 2. Saints Row 2 is really fun, and I would love to keep playing it, but (on PC) driving over ten miles per hour is impossible. Just completely impossible. Touch the gas pedal and try to stay in a straight line for more than five feet, or try to make a turn...I dare ya! It also forces you to do side quests between main storyline missions, as in, you're completely blocked from main storyline missions until you have the minimum amount of reputation that that mission requires.
I'll definitely be giving Saints Row 2 another chance in the future as I had a lot of fun with it already, but since I don't have a PC controller it's going back to the backlog for now.