It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Enebias: I'm very, very tempted to increase my list of quitted games to 3 (lifetime total) by adding Fez. I started it a few weeks ago, and I really can't force myself to go on... that game lacks any kind of challenge but then, out of the blue, it asks you to deduce an alphabet and a numerarion system by following apparently inconsequential clues found in random -and entirely missable- rooms. I also had to watch some solutions using the internet -I hate to do that- because I didn't have any kind of QR Code reader device, and that is (imo) unforgiveable. Shallow gameplay and nonsensical riddles are definitely not my favourite elements in gaming. Maybe it's just me, but I really can't understand all the praising reviews it recived.
I feel similarly, except that I quite enjoyed the easy parts, but then the game lost me when I was suddenly required to figure out all that abstract cryptic stuff. And it was no fun traveling back and forth between the unsolved puzzles screens by having to pass all the solved ones, and with that somewhat confusing map on top of it. The quick travel teleporters didn't really help that much in this regard. I haven't officially admitted it yet, but it seems like Fez will join Braid on my list of games I will never finish. I actually want to like them because I think they're cool on the surface, but apparantly their 'puzzles' are too difficult for me, and for all the wrong reasons.
tinyE: XD I can't even get Fez to run. I guess I need a better PC.
The PC version of Fez is famous for being a messy port: just look at the minimum requirements and compare them to other similar (or even better) looking titles! I think that in this case your PC might not be the one to blame! :)

Leroux: it was no fun traveling back and forth between the unsolved puzzles screens by having to pass all the solved ones, and with that somewhat confusing map on top of it. The quick travel teleporters didn't really help that much in this regard.
Definitely agree on that!
Post edited July 03, 2014 by Enebias
I also quit Braid. But I'm sorry this is not the thread for that as it was in 2013 ;)

I would have liked to see the story but the gameplay was outright boring.
I really adored Braid, the game kept me going further all the time and I loved the ending.
I quit Harvest Moon: Back to Nature on the PSNetwork (Playstation originally).

It's a life-management/farm simulator thing--a well-regarded entry in a well-regarded franchise. The problem is, that anything close to optimal play basically breaks it. It's supposed to last for three in-game years, but at the end of the first year, I fully upgraded my farm, married, and had so much money that I couldn't do anything with it. Online walkthroughs suggested that I'd basically seen what there was to see, so I bailed.

Maybe rather then saying I "quit" it, I should say I won early.
javier0889: Bioshock.
Too short, too easy. It just made me want to play System Shock.
Leroux: You abandoned it because it was too short? How do you know if you didn't complete it? :D
youtube ;)
Leroux: You abandoned it because it was too short? How do you know if you didn't complete it? :D
javier0889: youtube ;)
Ah, I see. Apparantly it was still too long for you to complete it yourself though. :D
Spacechem. Screenshots had me pumped. Then I started the game.
Post edited July 03, 2014 by popperik
Morrowind- I was 77 hours into the game. I did too many side quests and got sidetracked away from the main quest so I forgot all about how the main story went. It felt too much like playing an mmo except without the people.

Gothic 3- The story didn't pull me in as much as part 1 and 2.

Might and Magic 7- I got tired of how often my weapons and armor broke.

System Shock 2- played for 3 hours, bought King's Bounty games, forgot all about this game.
popperik: Spacechem. Screenshots had me pumped. Then I started the game.
Why didn't you like it? I got it for free like a week ago (Guess you did too!).

I haven't played it yet.
Post edited July 03, 2014 by GreenDigitalWolf
Hmm there's a few...

Hitman - Controls feel odd, WASD is odd, unrebindable, invisible walls, lots of little things that just quickly got annoying to me.

AquaNox - Although looks and feels a little fun, quickly gets annoying trying to just survive a mission.

Nox - Melee is crap, and is annoying.

Bloodnet - Got tired through the intro. No Subtitles so the highly compressed crappy audio was hard to follow.

BloodRayne 2 - Highly repetative puzzles involving throwing bodies to unreasonable objectives

American Mcgee's Grim - Walk around the area and make it 'stinky'.... the butt-stomp it... yeah lost interest.

Alien/zombie shooter - quickly gets boring since you're just shotting a nearly endless onslaught of stupid undead... or zombies...

DaiKatana - horrible graphics and first 'puzzle' i got lost and couldn't complete. Lost interest

Influx - Roll around as a ball..... yeah....

Rouge Trooper - got killed by a 'screw you' spot and wasn't interested in the game enough to retry or continue

Smugglers V - way too much micro management and turn based. Maybe 10 years ago, but not today

Aqua Kitty (Milk miner defender) - looks fun but didn't hold my interest long.

Incredipede - Fun but quickly gets boring

Luftausers - Fun fighting and flying, using the keyboard to get response, want to use the gamepad, can't really progress unless i do a lot of repeats for XP and unlock parts. Just don't feel like it.

Fractured Soul - Nice concept, but feels like a slow platformer...

Redshirt - large confusing GUI of where to do things, lots of learning overhead. Mostly don't know what i'm doing.

Element 41 - looks fun but is a little boring...

TypeRider - Same thing

Bridge builder - same thing

edit:

Anomoly - Reverse of TD but seems stupid, the changing of pathways is either instant success or failure. Having a hero on the scene just feels... stupid...

Bittrip Runner - Good music, but instant failure and restart gets annoying fast.

Clarc - Puzzle game... Except at some point in the game it mixes puzzle and live time limits which leads to instant failure states if you don't do it perfectly. If i could see the puzzle/path and plan beforehand then maybe i wouldn't have quit, or if i could turn it turn based...

NWN2 - Bad voice acting. Last i played it i got annoyed that 3 bandits were kicking my ass at like 8th level...

Space Chem - Apparently you can create and save rooms that make your various chemical combination rooms... Except unless you use the exact same spot for input/output (unless you are OCD) you will fail this. Decent game otherwise.

Stealth Bastard Deluxe - Fun for what i played, but i don't have the energy to try and figure everything out...

edit2:
FF13-3 Lightning Returns - I hoped to complete this one, but it's in the quit instead... lots of things... a rant by itself.

edit3:
Uncharted Series - I wanted to give this game a try, but i can tell it quickly rubs me the wrong way. Not only that it's so on rails and so herded and so much unnecessary platforming intermixed with cutscenes and uncontrolled story telling that... i lost interest; Mind you i wasn't that big on the series to begin with.

FF-12 - I've beaten the game years ago, but i can't quite seem to fully get into the groove of playing. Even using an editor to effectively give me a weak NewGame+, I'm not sure. How many dozens of hours am i willing to put towards this game?
Post edited December 22, 2014 by rtcvb32
Leroux: Good to know I'm not the only one. It's great having so many games at your disposal and being able to try them all at the same time to find the one among them that really draws you in, but it also sucks for those that are left on the side to be finished later. Getting back into them can be somewhat tedious and dissatisfactory; I don't remember as much as I'd like to remember about what I already did and learned, but still too much to make starting all over an entertaining option ...
Indeed, I normally either install new games right away or at some later date - and give them a "test run" for a while, could be 5 minutes, a half hour, a few hours or even a day or so depending on the game and my mood. Once I've had a test-run I've placed in my mind what type of game it is and my overall interest and desire to play it sooner or later or whatnot. Very rarely do I end up trying a game out and then thinking "this sucks, I don't want to play it at all" though. I'm a pretty open minded gamer and once I try something I usually want to try to get into it at some later date if not right away. Sometimes while playing some games I end up getting to a point where the game may seem a bit repetitive and I'm not being challenged any more though too, and then I might either try to finish it just to get it over with, or I might put it on hold to come back to it later and may or may not get around to that. ;o)

Damnation is one example... it is a game that got poor reviews but the trailer was appealing to me and I wanted to try it myself. I got it and have had some fun with it and made it almost all of the way through the game. I could understand why it got bad reviews due to bad AI and other factors but the game premise and mechanics I found fun anyway even if the AI and other factors kind of sucked. After many days playing it though I needed a diversion and moved on to some other games and never ended up going back and finishing Damnation off yet. I should get around to that some day soon so I can cross it off my list though. :)

Hehe, that sounds like something Yogi Berra might say... "Nobody wants to play that game for very long because it is too short." ;oP
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut. I'm quitting (for now) mostly because it runs somewhat laggy but also because I'm pretty sure the first thirty minutes of the game is twenty five minutes of cutscene, two minutes of linear walking/listening to the story and three minutes of actual gameplay.
popperik: Spacechem. Screenshots had me pumped. Then I started the game.
GreenDigitalWolf: Why didn't you like it? I got it for free like a week ago (Guess you did too!).

I haven't played it yet.
Most of the screenshots were about those tubes where you put in the different modules. But having completed the first ~10 levels they all took place within the reactor (see the last two screenshots), which I found dead boring with awkward controls.
skeletonbow:
That sounds more or less like my own approach. With those I just test for a short while, it's no problem to get back to them later and maybe start over, it's rather those that I initially intended to play through but then get too bored, annoyed, frustrated or actually stuck (or all of the above, at the same time). And I guess it happens the most with RPGs and adventure games, which are incidentally the worst games to abandon half-way through and also sadly the games I'm most attracted to, despite the great risks they pose to my playstyle (getting stuck on puzzles, getting bored with repetitive trash mob combat or tedious city exploration and item management) ...