It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Cavalary: I still wonder how many hours your days have :))
< D >: The same as everyone else. I'm just more adept at wasting them. ;)

[...]

I also frequently use speedhacking if a game is too slow for my tastes.
Making a point of finishing as many games as fast as possible, going beyond their design limits to do so, sounds more like a job, and a stressful one at that, than wasting time to me. But hey, if it works for you :)
Spinmaster. A side-scrolling beat-em-up for the Neo Geo. Typical "they kidnapped your girl!" set-up with 2-player co-op gameplay. You start out with a yo-yo for a weapon but can pick up boxing gloves, bombs, throwing stars, etc. The game is as challenging as your typical arcade game, but it's also relatively fair. The difficulty level seems about on par with Metal Slug. The graphics are appealingly colorful, with cute characters and funny voice samples. Like a lot of games made by Data East, it's nothing ground-breaking but it has an enjoyable quirkiness to it.

Realm of Impossibility. Mike Edwards made a game called Zombies, which EA picked up and re-released as this expanded edition, with more levels and some tweaking to the gameplay. It's like the 1983 equivalent to a "Game of the Year" edition, I guess. Not a different game, just more of the original. I played through the Atari version.

You have to explore various dungeons to obtain magical crowns that you need to defeat an evil wizard or something. The dungeons are full of various monsters like zombies, snakes, or giant spiders. Your guy moves at a great speed and you can protect yourself by dropping crosses behind you that block the paths of the enemies. You can also pick up magical spells to get yourself out of jams. Making contact with enemies drains off a few hit-points and you need to minimize contact to carry over enough hit points to make it through all the levels.

The graphics emphasize the largeness of the environment, with the small characters sprinting across the floors and up and down ladders. Your own guy is a stick figure who waves at you when he's stationary and hilariously windmills his arms as he runs. I love little personal touches like that in these old games. As soon as you enter a room, the enemies converge on you, so you have to juke around and drop your crosses to evade them. It feels a bit like trying to execute a running play in football, just charging ahead and dodging through to the next room. A little damage is inevitable but the situations that really kill you are when you get hung up while trying to grab a ladder or you get trapped by your own crosses, allowing enemies to sit on top of you while you try to get free, burning your life down rapidly.

The level layouts are really cool, with the later ones getting into Escher-like perspective trickery (my favorite is the Ethereal Plane). I'm surprised more games don't do that sort of thing. The game is a lot of fun and easy to get into, although unfortunately Edwards didn't bother including an ending of any kind. No congratulations for beating all the levels - you just get dropped back to the level select menu and restart but at a higher difficulty.
Divinity: Original Sin EE - Dunamis (standalone campaign, played in SP mode)

Another well-made custom adventure for D:OS (one of only two I could find). I had a bit of trouble getting into this at first, because the beginning can be quite hard, even in Classic Mode. One of the reasons for that is that it takes different approaches than the main game, it's more in the spirit of Baldur's Gate, in that you only have one main character, and if that one dies, the game is over, even if companions would still be able to raise that character. Add to this that enemies can kill you with 2-3 hits at the start, and you only have the three skills you pick during character creation, so not a lot of tactical options yet - but your choice here can make all the difference between challenging and frustrating. On top of that, you start with only one companion, and while there are three in the game, you are limited to two, and all of them are built a bit subpar, IMO, with skill combinations that aren't great. So at first, you're really better off trying to avoid combat until you have more companions and can afford to give them some more skills. The major part of the module is an open map with lots of smaller quests revolving around a town, and the couple of fights there are on this map felt a bit like a puzzle - scout the area for dangerous encounters, make a note of what level the opponents are and what threat they pose, then figure out the best order to tackle them. A bit like Gothic.

And like Gothic, it also has a day and night cycle, which can be a bit annoying and helpful at the same time. Helpful because you can always find all important NPCs in the common bedrooms at night and still talk and trade with them, annoying because it might interrupt what you were planning to do - sometimes NPCs walk away to their homes even in the midst of a conversation. Occasionally, some scenes would not trigger, because they came with a slight delay and I had already clicked on something else in the meantime. But in these cases, reloading and being more patient always worked. And sometimes the trading did not work correctly, but the author warned about that, so I always saved before trading, and when something went wrong, I reloaded and tried again, with success. There were occasional typos and such, but it was not too distracting. Most of the text was fine and able to convey the story in an immersive way.

There is quite a bit of Choice and Consequence in this module, too, although it is not all that obvious; I think many of the choices are about completing the available quests or not (or rather which ones), and most of the consequences only become apparent in the epilogue. This module also took about 10 hours to complete, though part of that was running to and fro looking for things to do. It only goes up to level 5 (or 6 with the last battle), so you won't be able to use most Adept skills yet. All in all, I liked the Necromancer adventure reviewed above a little better, but it's mostly a matter of preferences, and this was a nicely crafted and enjoyable bonus story, too.
Post edited October 13, 2021 by Leroux
Mark of the Ninja: Remastered (GOG) on Linux via Wine
I really don't remember the ending of this game, which leads me to believe maybe I never did beat the Special Edition back in 2013. But I realized what my problem was with this game and honestly most other games I end up quitting: challenges. I do not like doing challenges unless there is a story incentive for me. That's why I quit Mark of the Ninja Remastered the first time several months ago. The challenge rooms in each level don't add anything for me and I am by no means a completion-ist. It feels like a chore to me when there's no story incentive and just some mechanical perk (currency, upgrades etc), I realized I need both for me to enjoy doing challenges/side-missions, so I ended up skipping each and every single challenge room.

As for the game itself, it's beautiful and the mechanics are perfect. The game does not reward or punish you for playing either stealth or going on a rampage unlike Dishonored 1. One thing I would like changed are the sand levels, I remember them being a chore when I played them in 2013 and they were still garbage today due to annoying enemies and level restrictions.

I definitely recommend this for stealth fans. The 4k upgrade is worth the cost as well
Scarlet Nexus (XSX Game Pass)

Action JRPG from Bandai Namco's internal teams- I suspect the same ones that did Code Vein. This one is a more traditional JRPG though, whilst Code Vein was a Dark Souls type- but they share a very similar art style.

Scarlet Nexus has one of the best flowing action party based RPG systems I've ever played. It's fast paced like a DMC game, but is party based. Your characters fight mainly using a combination of melee and psionics and belong to an organisation (the OSF) that combats supernatural invaders in a post apocalyptic Earth. You select one of two characters and the story branches and crosses between them both along with their respective squads. In the end both squads all work together. A bit like NieR: Automata, to get the full story you then play a new game plus from the point of view of the second character and squad, to fill in all the scenes to make up the story.

It's a really good game overall. It doesn't quite hit the "S" tier like the NieR games though. It's held back in the end by having to revisit some areas, some of which are a bit dull to begin with. The story is pretty good, but not as deep and philosophical as NieR: Automata. The 10 main characters are well written though, whilst adhering to the usual JRPG roles.
I played through as Kasane first, then NG+ as Yuito...though to speed up the second play I skipped all the story cut scenes that I'd already seen. Surprisingly the two character arcs are not as identical as I feared, and feature a few different areas and fill in the story well. A really decent game overall.
Embracelet

An adventure game with greater focus on storytelling than puzzles, although there are a few easy puzzles as well. Additionally, you get to make exclusive choices about what to say or who to spend time with sometimes, and you can choose to use your special power or refrain from using it, and all of that is supposed to influence how others feel about you and possibly give you a different ending (a bit reminiscent of games like Life is Strange, Oxenfree, or Night in the Woods, I guess).

I thought the pace of the game was very nice, calm, a bit slow, but in a good, relaxing way, and motivating enough for me to finish it on the same day I started it. The presentation is beautiful, simple graphic style but very atmospheric, not least due to the great music composed by the dev himself. I especially loved the first half of the game, the writing was very down-to-earth and felt true despite the hint of magic and mystery. The second half was alright as well, but it introduced some villains whose actions and dialogues were a bit too cardboard/cliché for my taste and didn't quite fit the sensitive and relatable tone from before, IMO. The ending I got was cute but also a little cheesy. I thought the story was turning into a typical movie plot in some regards there and moving a bit away from real life (in the sense of of a believable story, I mean, even if supernatural elements are involved). But music and art direction stayed consistently good.

Although I didn't have too many troubles with the mechanical side of the game, it could be a bit rough around edges. On starting the game, parts of the screen were cut off at the edges until I changed the resolution, and even after that it happened again when I started the game another time, a few hours later, as if something had reset. Once, I had to load the last Autosave because the character got stuck in an animation (he always moves to a specific spot first, if you tell him to talk to someone, but some part of the environment had gotten in his way and he couldn't move past it; and since the game had taken control away from me for that animation, I could not abort it either). One time I had to check a walkthrough, because I had overlooked that I could walk somewhere when I thought I had tried to walk on that already, with no success, because apparently I had gotten stuck on something, too, or missed the tiny hitbox of the thing. Everything is 3D but camera angles are determined by the game, and that could also go wrong occasionally, with the camera losing focus of the main character, or targeting some hotspots becoming somewhat fiddly due to the automatically moving camera. Still, those were rarer occurrences, and for a mostly one-man indie game with cinematic camera angles, it ran and controlled surprisingly fine most of the time.

All in all, I quite enjoyed it, despite these few hiccups and lapses in writing. It wasn't the greatest story in the end, but still above average, and a memorable experience.

(I should add, I played it with a gamepad; it seems to be made for that, so controls might be worse with mouse and keyboard.)
Post edited October 16, 2021 by Leroux
So, as I just updated, my brother and I have been on a pretty good retro game kick of late. I got a PC Engine Mini because I noticed it on Amazon and bought it for about $110. I hooked it up to my system just temporarily to try it out and I have been playing it on and off (sometimes on for quite some time) for the past few weeks. Amazing little system, highly recommended.

What I really wanted to share was this phenomenon I and my brother go through in tons of games. When I played through Alliance Alive I got to the end boss without taking advantage of one the skills/technique (or whatever) levelling trees at all. I felt pretty stupid, but oh well. This sort of thing will happen to me all the time though where I accidentally ignore an entire feature in a game until the end (if I notice it at all, among them I just this past week or so realized the Wii U virtual console has save states). Grim Dawn had this, it was one of the slots I just assumed I would find some kind of obvious prompt in the inventory if I was going to use it but not until the end of the base game did I use it at all. Titan Quest, exact same thing. I do not think I even used my knowledge from the one to help me in the other. And, just now, finishing off the last level of Mega Man Zero 3 that's been sitting dormant for years, apparently went the entire game long without using the elf-things. Yup. (I was feeling frustrated on the final boss and suddenly noticed a part of the pause menu that read "Elf List.")
Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures Episode 2 (GOG)
Had to turn down the graphical setting down to the lowest to be able get past a graphical game breaking bug (most likely due to Wine on Linux). Definitely seemed like a faster episode than the 1st with much more straightforward puzzles, which is good, because Episode 1 felt a bit too long. All in all, a good episode, nothing to write home about. It's turning into a good series for diehard Telltale or Wallace & Gromit fans, but if you don't find yourself in either category, you aren't missing out.
Ys VI - The Ark of Napishtim
Played on normal with healing items, but didn't beat Majunun optional boss since i don't know if it would unlock anything in the game, don't care about achievements since i don't have galaxy.
The ending was rather easy since it was a grindfest before and also trying to beat Majunun with level 52 but still couldn't beat him, the least health i got him to was 1333.
The game itself isn't too bad but that dash jumping skill needed was annoying.
Outcast 1.1

Difficult to rate for me. One of my favorite games of my youth but honestly, it hasn't aged well and I'm not sure if a todays teenager who is rather new to gaming would be able to understand the extreme fascination the game once had.

Graphically it holds up comparably well especially with higher resolution, but the open world stuff has been done better since then and especially the fighting and AI is plain horrible. And even with 1.1 it appears to be quite glitchy and buggy.

But the atmosphere saved it for me, that is still there. 7/10
Post edited October 18, 2021 by Looger23
The Purring Quest

Again, there will be a review, but for now some quick messy notes.
Lovely graphics and fitting music. Stages are different, each introducing new elements that fit and even similar ones have differences that need to be taken into account. Good that you can return to clear completed levels and don't need to finish again, just get what was left and then can stop. At least you don't need to retake what you already took, but would have been nice to save all progress, as in killed mice and beaten boss, same during stages too. Nice that you continue from last checkpoint if dead and not from beginning, and can resume from there if quitting too, but would want to be able to just save, and checkpoints get to be too far apart. Also nice how the main screen updates with your progress.
Carrying momentum in jumps makes them imprecise. The high jump mode is basically unusable, and seems to have been the only one until a patch, ouch. And double jump also allows for "cheating" since may trigger multiple times. Had it bug when hiding from a dog, cat tried to hide next to spot, then quickly unhid and hid again in proper place but dog had spotted me, rushed over and then just bugged there, turning back and forth, cat won't come out, had to force close. Takes a bit to figure out how to fight bosses, and second is tricky because cones often don't hit rocks. Rhythm game instead of boss after part four? And long one too! And darn tricky platforming piece before it. Then again, can't say there was a real boss at the end of stage three either. So bosses at the end of the first two stages, then need to learn what to do and keep repeating until you get it right. In stage three you can stop and look ahead and plan, in stage four you are allowed mistakes, in stage five nothing, just keep trying until it's muscle memory and you get a bit farther. Why seven lives instead of nine? Cat gets bored quickly if doing nothing and ignores the first command after. How high you can fall from without losing life is unclear. Foreground scenery can sometimes obstruct view. Can only see end cutscene and credits after you finish, no option to replay.
Crusader: No Remorse. I really liked this one. You're controlling a guy who looks like a cross between Boba Fett and those red guys guarding the emperor in Return of the Jedi, and you're just going through bases blasting everything in your way. It has the same kind of vibe as the police station shootout in The Terminator. It does get challenging but for the most part you're just making everything around you blow up.

The main issue is that it's built on the Ultima 8 engine, which is ill-suited to the demands of an action game with its tank-style controls. I got used to them, but even at my best it never felt smooth to control in the way you'd prefer for something with a lot going on and I found it best to go slowly. There are some parts of the game where it's like "hey, let's do some platforming!" and they're at best annoying. The guy's jump is just so slow and awkward. Thankfully, those parts are rare.

In between missions you go to a base and restock supplies and chat with people in FMV clips. It's a great example of how people at Origin said the company got Wing Commander crazy for a while. The FMV production values are low and the filmmaking is really dull, but the acting is actually not bad compared to most video games of the time.

The graphics and audio are really good. The environment is really reactive for the time and it's great when you get into a big shootout and stuff everywhere starts exploding from stray bullet fire. I'll always get a big laugh out of games in which people get lit on fire and run around screaming. The soundtrack is great - it's a pulsing synth-based score that would fit right in with modern synth-wave stuff.
Deus Ex: Human revolution

Didn't really finish it, but played at least two thirds in a few binge sessions (got to the DLC content), then uninstalled it, because it felt like a tedious chore to continue.
The game is ok and in some ways obviously superior to the original Deus Ex (graphics, enemy AI and some other issues like the mechanics of surveillance cameras), but on the whole it's a lesser game imo. The gameplay is fun for a while, but it eventually gets boring and repetitive...after 20 hours you're still doing take-downs on the same kind of enemies like at the beginning, this was much better handled in the original Deus Ex which introduced new enemy types like commandos in the later stages of the game. The hubs were decent, but the areas for missions felt mostly linear. Even the inventory has become less interesting, since you get nothing but weapons and some combat-related stims.
Hacking (one of the weak points of the original Deus Ex) is handled via a minigame. As far as minigames go, it's not that bad, but I still got sick of it, because there is such an awful lot of hacking in the game (since I had skilled up hacking quite early, it was also totally trivial).
Story had some interesting elements, but imo took itself too seriously, was totally lacking in any humour, again unlike the original. There aren't many interesting side characters either, and the soundtrack was unremarkable.
Now the original Deus Ex certainly had quite a few flaws, like fairly deficient enemy AI or some useless skills/augmentations, and a sequel of course shouldn't just slavishly imitate its predecessor. Still, I felt Human revolution missed the chance to really improve on the original, because it's too dumbed-down in some ways.
Finally, the game is just too damn long. What is this horrible trend among modern mainstream titles that everything has to last 100 hours, despite the gameplay being shallow and staying mostly the same throughout the game? Really makes me feel that mainstream gaming doesn't have much to offer to me anymore.
My rating: 3/5.
Post edited October 19, 2021 by morolf
morolf: Deus Ex: Human revolution
I was a big fan of Deus Ex, the original game. Deus Ex: Invisible War was a total disaster and I completed it with lots of mental pain just before the release Human Revolution game (I was not able to finish it before), and in my opinion Human Revolution is the worst Deus Ex game, the prologue mission was actually good and intriguing, but then it started to fall on so many levels, I managed to complete the Director's Cut edition where the DLC is included into the game for seamless experience (I wonder what DLC content you mentioned since we've got the DC edition) and it was a torment, what a disaster. I'm surprised you rated it so high, 3/5.
But the last game Mankind Divided is almost good. I completed it and enjoyed most of its parts, only one final DLC is left to complete which I heard so much good about.
Cadaver747:
thx for your thoughts! I played the Director's cut as well, so I meant "The missing link" when referring to the DLC (the part where you're captured on a ship and lose all your augmentations).
I've never played Invisible war, because the gameplay is so widely criticized due to dumbing-down/consolization and because I don't want my perception of characters from Deus Ex ruined by it.
My current laptop can't run Mankind divided, I might try it when I get a new one. But I think you're right, the original Deus Ex is unsurpassed, even after 20 years...somewhat sad indication of the state of the gaming industry.
Post edited October 19, 2021 by morolf