It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Now I've also completed Horizon's The Frozen Wilds DLC as well as platinum'd the base game.

It's super high quality DLC. When I saw the new area on the world map I was worried that there would be barely any content but no, the area is larger than it seems and it took me over 13 hours to complete the thing, including all the side missions and other optional content. And importantly, it's pretty much of even higher quality than the base game. There's a pretty epic side story with a really long quest line, side quests of higher quality than most in the base game, a bunch of well-developed characters, really tough (though admittedly a bit annoying) new enemy types and a whole bunch of new gear, including entirely new weapon types. That's besides a bunch of other things (like an expanded skill tree) that you can also enjoy without actually playing the DLC area. There's also new music and, what really impressed me, the new conversations have a ton of unique animations which are perfectly synchronised with the dialogue, which makes them almost feel like cutscenes. So in terms of sheer size an quality the DLC has exceeded my expectations by far.

Oh, and the new area itself is just utterly gorgeous. What's funny, there were also snowy areas in the base game, but there the snow didn't react to the player which felt weird in a game with such good and detailed graphics. Well, in the DLC you get some of the most visually impressive snow in any game ever. They even added a snow angel pose in the game's photo mode which actually works, lol.

What I'm not that big a fan of is how the DLC is integrated into the base game. It's one of those cases where you have no idea when you should approach the DLC and where exactly it's supposed to be set in the narrative - while following the base game's main quest line there's never a "right moment" to go into the Frozen Wilds. Difficulty-wise playing it after completing the base game felt appropriate but you also unlock a whole lot of stuff here that you will barely get to use if you're done with everything else (I guess you can carry it over into New Game+ on a higher difficulty level but I'm not sure how much you can carry over). At least it seems that the developers wrote multiple versions of much of the dialogue so no matter when you approach it, the DLC will fit into the overall context. So, I do not at all regret playing the DLC after completing the main story, it felt right, but I wish the game were more clear about the right moment.

As for the story: its only problem is that it's a side story. Like many DLCs it's constrained by not being allowed to venture into things that are reserved for the sequel. Besides that it's top notch and largely revolves around what I love most about Horizon's writing: the problem of superstition. It's honestly brilliant stuff with a great conclusion. Horizon's writers do not get enough credit.
Gris (GOG) on Linux via Wine
Beautiful yet short game about grief. Highly recommend to people who love artistic games.

Call of Cthulhu (GOG) on Linux via Wine
I knew going in that this would be one of those AA jank city detective games like Vampyr and Murdered Soul Suspect. But damn this one makes those two seem like AAA games. The game is constantly putting my RTX3080 above 50% use for no apparent reason and I literally could not watch the ending cinematic despite lowering the game to 1080p/60/low. I had to lower it in the 2nd to last chapter to see the ending cinematic of that chapter and kept it for the last chapter which was thankfully short. To be fair it could be an issue with wine but there were a lot of technical issues with this game: mismatched voice animations, strange character animations, random high cpu and gpu usage.

Now as for the game itself; I am a huge fan of these AA detective games otherwise I would not have bought it. Vampyr and Murdered Soul Suspect are two of my favorite games and I plan on replaying both to experience them in 4k60. It was a good game; my first exposure for a Lovecraft story and the gameplay was a bit more light than I would have hoped for. Both Vampyr and Soul Suspect had more gameplay that kept the pace fresh. Story was good but not completely fleshed out. I am looking forward to playing Sinking City eventually
CymTyr: SoH is very good so far, I was going to record a new episode tonight, but had to watch the Browns game after the fact, because I got off of work late. I hope you enjoy the video!
Both your videos of Song of Horror were awesome. I think this one might be a must-have now that I am seeing more of it.
Marvel's Avengers (XSX Game Pass)

Single player campaign, which took me around 16 hours with a bit of side stuff as well. I'm really glad I gave it a try, as it's actually a really good super hero campaign. It swaps you between a number of the Avengers as part of the story, which can feel a little jarring after getting used to a particular character. But I thought it all worked out quite well. Though you do play as various characters at points, you mostly play as Ms Marvel- who I thought was voiced and acted really well, as was the entire cast. The action was excellent, even the boss fights and tougher enemies were well done.

It looks stunning, since it is the new console version and not the last gen version. Performance was flawless as well. I think the main reason the game is maligned is that the post game and multiplayer stuff is meant to be a bit lackluster and dull. I'm going to give some of the post game missions a try anyway, whilst I work out what to play next. Similar to Titanfall 2, it's probably not worth buying at full price if you just want to play the campaign...but on sale or rental, I think it's really fun.
CymTyr: SoH is very good so far, I was going to record a new episode tonight, but had to watch the Browns game after the fact, because I got off of work late. I hope you enjoy the video!
rjbuffchix: Both your videos of Song of Horror were awesome. I think this one might be a must-have now that I am seeing more of it.
Thanks! I was debating on continuing with it or not, but I think I will now :)

I appreciate the kind words.
rjbuffchix: Both your videos of Song of Horror were awesome. I think this one might be a must-have now that I am seeing more of it.
CymTyr: Thanks! I was debating on continuing with it or not, but I think I will now :)

Hey, do what you want but that is definitely cool. Just ended up purchasing it myself!
CymTyr: Thanks! I was debating on continuing with it or not, but I think I will now :)

rjbuffchix: Hey, do what you want but that is definitely cool. Just ended up purchasing it myself!
Yeah the game pretty much amazed me for episode 1. Congrats on the purchase!
Vanquish. A cover-based third-person shooter with the gimmick that your guy wears a power suit that allows him to slide across the battlefield with jets on his back. The story is that in the near future, a Russian guy (funny, according to the media Russia somehow got a zillion times more evil after the Cold War than it ever was during it) nukes San Francisco using a giant space station, so you're sent in with a bunch of soldiers to retake the station in what is basically an extended sci-fi version of the opening of Saving Private Ryan. The voice acting is hilarious - one of those cases where the actors are trying to sound like grizzled tough guys but end up sounding horrifically constipated.

It does the usual cover shooting stuff in that you know stuff is about to happen whenever you wander into an open area peppered with medium height obstructions. You have a handful of weapons and grenades that you use to destroy robots. It's very fast-paced and has great graphics, but the graphics are actually too good because the screen at any moment is so full of explosions, smoke, dust, energy fields, tracer rounds, etc. that it can get overwhelming really fast. I got killed so many times but instead of feeling frustrated I usually could only laugh because most of the time I never even saw what killed me. Maybe it's because they're robots but the enemies never seemed to have trouble nailing you through the visual noise. I don't feel like I ever really got a full grip on the jet-sliding mechanic. It was useful sometimes, but you have such a tight limit on how long you can use it that, combined with all the shit hitting you, I started playing better when I mostly ignored it in favor of just calmly and deliberately popping out from cover to take down an enemy and then moving to the next. Like many Sega games, it's not especially long (I think my play-time ended up around 7.5 hours) and is meant to be replayed and mastered for higher scores.
Just beat Titanfall 2 because everyone and their uncle has been saying that it's got one of the bist singleplayer campaigns in any shooter ever. And that despite the fact that the original game didn't have a campaign at all.

Well, I call bullshit on it. You know what Titanfall 2 reminds me of? All those failed old self-proclaimed "Halo killers" like Chrome, Breed, Haze and God knows what else. It's bland as shit. It's differently coloured Starship Troopers wannabes fighting because who knows but they can wall-run and there's big robots. Narratively the game is driven by one thing and one thing only: the relationship between the hero and his titan, nicknamed BT. It's fun and charming - it's basically Terminator 2 with the maturity of Transformers or Halo. Everything else is kinda just there. I honestly don't know who my guys are and who the bad guys are and what makes the bad guys bad and the good guys good. I probably missed a bunch of lines that played mid-combat or during platforming sequences but all I could gather was that the bad guys tend to "destroy homes rather than build them". I guess my enemies are mercenaries hired by cosmic real-estate developers? Those bastards!

And for the first couple of missions I wasn't just let down by the barebones narrative and bland environments that literally look like every sci-fi shooter ever but also the actual level design itself. I was promised something with the production value of Call of Duty or Halo but the first couple of levels really just feel like "let's put some enemies into a sci-fi level". Luckily halfway in things change quite dramatically and I guess that's the stuff that everyone's been drooling over: for one, you suddenly get a device that can move you between the past and the present which results in something between Sands of Time, Soul Reaver and Portal. Awesome! And then it turns out that it was just a one-time gimmick for one level only. Luckily past that point the levels still generally get better: you finally get some nice set pieces as you'd expect them from a modern AAA shooter, some impressive scripted sequences and the plot finally introduces something to fight over. What you still don't get is diverse enemy types that require different strategies - you know, the thing that most good single player shooters have had since the original Doom. Well, the exception is fighting enemy titans which luckily tend to pop up more and more towards the end of the game but I feel like I only enjoyed fighting them as much as I did because everything else was so incredibly vanilla.

Finally, and this is the part where I would definitely get lynched if I were a journalist and not just some random dude posting shit on some forum: I loathe how the game feels. I understand that the singleplayer mode was just built around a multiplayer game and the movement was perfected for multiplayer (and that it's multiplayer first surely also explains the lack of good enemy design). But honestly, as a singleplayer game with wall-running and double jumping, which makes you think of the the Doom reboot and "boomer shooters", it just feels pathetically slow. You can sprint only forward and even then it feels more like fast walking - and moving in any other direction and/or while shooting is just toe-curlingly slow. Things are different during the sequences where you control BT: it's still not mind-blowingly fast but it feels appropriate for controlling a massive machine. And well, the shooting feels nice - I just wish there were interesting things to shoot at.

Anyway, it's not a bad game at all and during the later more playful and/or spectacular sequences I actually enjoyed it a lot but it felt more like a taste of what could have been than anything else. I honestly hope that there's indeed going to be another Titanfall game and this time it's gonna have a campaign that's always at least as good as Titanfall 2 is when it's at its best.
Post edited October 09, 2021 by F4LL0UT
Games Finished in 2021 Part 1
Games Finished in 2021 Part 2

Games Finished in 2021 Part 3:

274. Sleeping Dogs DLC: Nightmare in North Point (United Front Games) (2012) (WIN)
275. Dark Pictures Anthology 1, The: Man of Medan (Supermassive Games) (2019) (WIN)
276. Dark Pictures Anthology 2, The: Little Hope (Supermassive Games) (2020) (WIN)
277. Layers of Fear 2 (Bloober Team) (2019) (WIN)
278. Blair Witch (Bloober Team) (2019) (WIN)
279. Reikoku: Kizoku Ikeda's Psychics Laboratory (霊刻 -池田貴族心霊研究所- (Reikoku: Ikeda Kizoku Shinrei Kenkyuujo)) (Jap) (Infinity) (2000) (PS1)
280. Apartment 666 (I Need Play) (2016) (WIN)
281. Keep Them Below (Eyesodic Games) (2015) (WIN)
282. Haunted Hotel 20: A Past Redeemed CE (Elephant Games) (2021) (WIN)
283. Firewatch (Campo Santo Productions) (2016) (WIN)
284. Nancy Drew 22: Trail of the Twister (Her Interactive) (2010) (WIN)
285. Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting (Viperante Creative Media) (2012) (WIN)
286. Transient (Stormling Studios) (2020) (WIN)
287. Secret Files 3 (Geheimakte 3) (Animation Arts) (2012) (WIN)
288. My Daughter Is a Cultist! (Virtua Worlds) (2019) (WIN)
289. Secret Files: Sam Peters (Geheimakte: Sam Peters) (Animation Arts) (2013) (WIN)
290. Doom 5: Doom Eternal (Id Software) (2020) (WIN)
291. Doom 5: Doom Eternal DLC – The Ancient Gods Part 1 (Id Software) (2020) (WIN)
292. Doom 5: Doom Eternal DLC – The Ancient Gods Part 2 (Id Software) (2021) (WIN)
293. Forgotten Hill Pico (FM Studio) (2020) (WIN)
294. Franz Kafka Videogame, The (Denis Galanin) (2017) (WIN)
295. Prey (Arkane Studios) (2017) (WIN)
296. Prey DLC: Mooncrash (Arkane Studios) (2018) (WIN)
297. Resident Evil 8: Village (バイオハザード ヴィレッジ (Biohazard: Village)) (Capcom) (2021) (WIN)
298. Dagon: By H. P. Lovecraft (Bit Golem) (2021) (WIN)
299. Howling Village: Echoes (犬鳴村 ~残響~ (Inunaki Mura: Zankyou)) (Flame Hearts) (2021) (WIN)
300. Halloween Stories 04: Defying Death CE (Elephant Games) (2020) (WIN)
301. Moons of Madness (Rock Pocket Games) (2019) (WIN)
302. Nelly Cootalot 2: The Fowl Fleet (Alasdair Beckett-King) (2016) (WIN)
303. Radio Station, The (深夜放送 (Shinya Housou)) (Chilla's Art) (2021) (WIN)
304. Call of the Sea (Out of the Blue Games) (2020) (WIN)
305. Victi: Blood Bitterness (a.k.a. Vigil: Blood Bitterness) (Freegamer) (2006) (WIN)
306. Samorost 3 (Amanita Design) (2016) (WIN)
307. Quake 1 Expansion: Ep. 6 – Dimension of the Machine (MachineGames) (2021) (WIN)
308. Escape from the Village (山村からの脱出 (Sanson Kara no Dasshutsu)) (Taiga) (2021) (WIN)
309. Silver Chains (Cracked Heads Games) (2019) (WIN)
310. Fragile: Handle with Care (Beer Night Studio) (2020) (WIN)
311. Close to the Sun (Storm in a Teacup) (2019) (WIN)
312. Inner Chains (Telepaths Tree) (2017) (WIN)
313. Dark Inside Me, The: Chapter 1 – Her Twisted Pleasures (Blue Arc Studios) (2018) (WIN)
314. Dark Inside Me, The: Chapter 2 – A Cold Bitter Touch (Blue Arc Studios) (2021) (WIN)
315. Ecstatica 2 (Andrew Spencer Studios) (1996) (DOS)
316. Evil God Korone (邪神ころね (Jashin Korone)) (I'm Cyan) (2021) (WIN)
317. Suicide of Rachel Foster, The (One-O-One Games) (2020) (WIN)
318. Pray for Death (Light Shock Software) (1996) (DOS)
319. Apsulov: End of Gods (Angry Demon Studio) (2019) (WIN)
320. Obscuritas (Visual Imagination Software) (2016) (WIN)
321. Wolfenstein 5 (Raven Software) (2009) (WIN)
322. Forgotten Hill 1-3: First Steps (Remaster) (FM Studio) (2015, 2016, 2021) (WIN)
323. Wolfenstein 6: The Old Blood (MachineGames) (2015) (WIN)
324. Hellbound (Saibot Studios) (2020) (WIN)
325. What Remains of Edith Finch (Giant Sparrow) (2017) (WIN)
326. Lust for Darkness (Movie Games Lunarium) (2018) (WIN)
327. Hollow Head: Director's Cut (Rubeki) (2019) (WIN)
328. Angels of Death 0: Episode.Eddie (殺戮の天使 Episode.Eddie (Satsuriku no Tenshi: Episode.Eddie)) (Makoto Sanada) (2019) (WIN)
329. Ghost Motel 01 (Violet-AIM) (2002) (WIN)
330. Ghost Motel 01: Resurrected (Remake) (Violet-AIM, Graeme 'Noodle') (2002, 2015) (WIN)
331. Ghost Motel 02: Know Your Ghosts (Violet-AIM) (2002) (WIN)
332. Ghost Motel 03: A Job (Violet-AIM) (2002) (WIN)
333. Ghost Motel 04: Circus (Violet-AIM) (2003) (WIN)
334. Ghost Motel 05: Demon Underworld (Violet-AIM) (2003) (WIN)
335. Ghost Motel 06: Demon Bar (Violet-AIM) (2003) (WIN)
336. Ghost Motel 07: Demon Hunter Academy (Violet-AIM) (2004) (WIN)
337. Ghost Motel 08: Demon Hunter Training (Violet-AIM) (2004) (WIN)
338. Ghost Motel 09: Training Continues (Violet-AIM) (2004) (WIN)
339. Ghost Motel 10: Ahtibat (Violet-AIM) (2004) (WIN)
340. Ghost Motel 11: Return to Ghost Motel (Violet-AIM) (2005) (WIN)
341. Bad Dream 0x01: Butcher (Desert Fox) (2013) (WIN)
342. Bad Dream 0x02: Graveyard (Desert Fox) (2014) (WIN)
343. Bad Dream 0x03: Hospital (Desert Fox) (2014) (WIN)
344. Bad Dream 0x04: Cyclops (Desert Fox) (2014) (WIN)
345. Bad Dream 0x05: Memories (Desert Fox) (2014) (WIN)
346. Bad Dream 0x06: Bridge (Desert Fox) (2014) (WIN)
347. Game for Anna (Desert Fox) (2021) (WIN)
348. Horror of Salazar House, The (Ignacio Maldonado) (2020) (WIN)
349. Wolfenstein 7: The New Order (MachineGames) (2014) (WIN)
350. Wolfenstein 8: The New Colossus (MachineGames) (2017) (WIN)
351. Wolfenstein 8: The New Colossus DLC – The Freedom Chronicles Episode 0 (MachineGames) (2017) (WIN)
352. Wolfenstein 8: The New Colossus DLC – The Freedom Chronicles Episode 1: The Adventures of Gunslinger Joe (MachineGames) (2017) (WIN)
353. Wolfenstein 8: The New Colossus DLC – The Freedom Chronicles Episode 2: The Diaries of Agent Silent Death (MachineGames) (2018) (WIN)
354. Wolfenstein 8: The New Colossus DLC – The Freedom Chronicles Episode 3: The Deeds of Captain Wilkins (MachineGames) (2018) (WIN)
355. Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call CE (Artifex Mundi) (2013) (WIN)
356. Wolfenstein 9: Youngblood (MachineGames, Arkane Studios) (2019) (WIN)
357. Nightmares from the Deep 3: Davy Jones CE (Artifex Mundi) (2014) (WIN)
358. Florence (Studio Mountains) (2018) (WIN)
359. Riddlord: The Consequence (Amrita Studios) (2019) (WIN)
360. Creaks (Amanita Design) (2020) (WIN)
361. Nazi Zombie Army 1 (Remaster) (Rebellion Developments) (2013, 2015) (WIN)
362. Nazi Zombie Army 2 (Remaster) (Rebellion Developments) (2013, 2015) (WIN)
363. Nazi Zombie Army 3 (Rebellion Developments) (2015) (WIN)
364. Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps (バイオハザード アンブレラコア (Biohazard: Umbrella Corps)) (Capcom) (2016) (WIN)
365. Aliens: Fireteam Elite (Cold Iron Studios) (2021) (WIN)
366. Dead Rising 4 (Capcom Vancouver) (2016) (WIN)
367. Dead Rising 4 DLC: Frank Rising (Capcom Vancouver) (2017) (WIN)
368. Nioh 1 (仁王) (Team Ninja) (2017) (WIN)
369. Nioh 1 DLC 1: Dragon of the North (仁王 DLC第1弾「東北の龍」 (Nioh: Touhoko no Ryuu)) (Team Ninja) (2017) (WIN)
370. Nioh 1 DLC 2: Defiant Honor (仁王 DLC第2弾 「義の後継者」 (Nioh: Gi no Koukeisha)) (Team Ninja) (2017) (WIN)
371. Nioh 1 DLC 3: Bloodshed’s End (仁王 DLC第3弾「元和偃武」 (Nioh: Genna Enbu)) (Team Ninja) (2017) (WIN)
372. Tales from the Outer Zone 4: The Construction (The Outer Zone) (2021) (WIN)
373. Tornuktu (Jonny's Games) (2021) (WIN)
374. Slide in the Woods (Jonny's Games) (2021) (WIN)
375. Path in the Woods, A (Bourbs) (2021) (WIN)
376. Veiled (Rémi Bismuth, Nicolas Millot) (2020) (WIN)
Post edited January 26, 2022 by < D >
Arcanum
Rather boring and generic character, I'm afraid:
Half-Ogre Male called Chad Brawnson.
Master Melee and Dodge
Maxed in Temporal and Conveyance.
20 STR and DEX
Some Haggle and Persuasion.
Wasted some skill points on Spot Traps and Disarm Traps, two points I could have used to get 20 Willpower.

Overall the game was more enjoyable than I had expected, despite numerous flaws.
4/5, and overall a rather easy game which I played virtually "blind".
Post edited October 10, 2021 by PetrusOctavianus
< D >: Include me again. I've reached the character limit in my previous post.
I still wonder how many hours your days have :))
Divinity: Original Sin EE (again, this time as 3 player co-op campaign)

After I finally managed to complete D:OS EE in August, I never would have thought I'd play through the whole thing again so soon after - or ever, since I'm usually not a fan of replays, especially not when it comes to epic length RPGs ... But last Monday, I finished it a second time. I got persuaded by two friends (who had also played through it already in the past), and we used a mod for extending multiplayer to 3-4 instead of the default 2. It ended up being quite enjoyable due to the company, the character building and the excellent combat. This time I just ignored the story and let the others do all the talking. Two times we ran into bugs that prevented NPCs from showing up, but it's not clear whether that was because of the MP mod or one of the other mods we used, and even though one of these two occasions was a pretty crucial scene in the game, it was not game-breaking and we were allowed to continue regardless. So I'd say it was a success story!

Divinity: Original Sin EE - A Necromancer's Crusade (standalone campaign, played in SP mode)

Before uninstalling the game, I thought I'd give this story mod a try that I had downloaded from Nexus after the first playthrough. I didn't expect much of it, and it did have a slow start and looked a bit amateurish compared to the main game at first (simple flat outdoor textures), but once the story took off, I couldn't stop playing, and after the first area, it didn't feel amateurish anymore at all. In the end, it was a very nice standalone campaign, an exciting dungeon crawl with great area and encounter design, professional writing, good opportunities for using your skills, plus a couple of nice side quests, secrets and puzzles (although I did not manage to solve them all). The difficulty was just right for me to enjoy, challenging without being hard, as I played it on Classic Mode (not Tactician) but without taking the Lone Wolf talent (because I did not know there are no companions in the campaign). It wasn't short either, took me 10-12 hours to complete, and my characters reached level 7 by the end. Definitely recommended for fans of the gameplay - it felt almost like a DLC, in any case a great bonus adventure.
Post edited October 10, 2021 by Leroux
Memoria (slight SPOILERS)

Finished Memoria. It's a pretty decent adventure. The puzzles are mostly logical, and there are some interesting mechanics (e.g. you have a magic spell that can induce visions in other people and you have to choose which elements should form the vision to induce a certain behaviour in the targeted person). I felt they weren't quite top quality, but probably somewhat above average by adventure game standards.
The story also has some interesting elements, since it features two different protagonists 450 years apart. I wasn't that enthused by the characters though. The protagonist in the later time period, Geron, is kind of boring and whiny (seems to be a common complaint by many players). The protagonist in the earlier time period, Sadja, a young woman who wants to fight in some huge battle against a demon army, was more interesting, but ultimately I also found her character somewhat flat, with her motivation not going much beyond a desire for glory (there's a twist late in the game that's meant to give more depth to her character, but it didn't do much for me). Sadja's also got a magical staff with his own personality who's a sort of sidekick to her, but compared to sidekicks in some other games (e.g. Primordia) I found it a bit lame, the relationship with Sadja wasn't that convincing imo. Main antagonist and his schemes also weren't that interesting imo. And the fate of the character Bryda at the end of the game was pretty messed up imo and left somewhat of a sour taste behind.
Still, recommended if you want a decent adventure game.
My rating: 3/5 (could also have been 4/5, but I'm purely rating my own subjective enjoyment in this case).
Post edited October 11, 2021 by morolf
< D >: Include me again. I've reached the character limit in my previous post.
Cavalary: I still wonder how many hours your days have :))
The same as everyone else. I'm just more adept at wasting them. ;)

That said, I do play a lot of really short games. There are about 100 games in that list that can be finished in an hour or less; some in as little as a few minutes.

I also frequently use speedhacking if a game is too slow for my tastes. You would be amazed how little gameplay actually exists in some games. Take away the mind-numbingly slow walking speed and games can sometimes be finished in less than half the time. In fact, I am fairly certain that some developers deliberately slow down walking speed to pad game length. You can literally add hours to a game that way without doing any work and avoid complaints about the game being too short.