It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

No Man's Sky

So, after finishing Subnautica, I asked the good people here suggestions for the next game I should play, with a somewhat similar thematic, albeit not identical. From all suggestions, I chose No Man's Sky.

It's a great game, but it has a lot of limitations and an enormous amount of padding. In fact, over time, it made me appreciate Subnautica's tight design even more.

There's a lot of places to go, after all, procedural generation is the base of the game. You can always hop into your starship and head to somewhere random and find new interesting views to see. The thing is, everything starts repeating way too soon, even though it keeps feeding you slightly new stuff over time. Every few planets you'll see a repeating plant, creature, or wacky mineral formation. In fact, if you land on two different planets of the same type, chances are, the flora will be practically the same, with very few notable changes. Still, dozens of hours in, and, blam! You accidentally find a new planet with entirely different stuff that you had never seen before.

On the other hand, the same can't be said about the structures. Every planet has a huge amount of the very same structures randomly placed everywhere, and even the insides of these places have a tendency of being exactly the same. Sometimes, the overall theme of the constructions will change due to belonging to a different race, but the insides will be the same.

Yet, there's an huge amount of stuff to do. I'm 160+ hours in and there are systems and mission types I have barely engaged with. In this regards, it reminds me a lot of Daggerfall, and I'm pretty sure a modern Elder Scrolls game crafted following the philosophies of Daggerfall would feel very similar to NMS in various aspects.

The main story is somewhat simple and even tries to help you learn a lot of the games systems along. It does try to appear more complex and profound than it actually is, though.

It's an incredibly easy game to get lost into, and see hours pass without really noticing, even with all the repetition.

What I didn't like is the grinding, because it often feels like it's there just to pad the game and keep you around for longer. Your character can build stuff instantly, but "transforming" and "processing" resources takes minutes (though you can do other stuff, even pause the game and ALT+TAB away from it meanwhile).

You have a huge inventory available, but you start with less than half of it usable. You have to grind inventory spaces one at a time, either finding upgrades in the wild, or buying them (ever more expensive) in every new Space station you enter (and you can never buy more than one space from each vendor). It's even worse because the game has this great focus in doing stuff inside your various inventories (personal, ship, exocraft, freighter, base storage) and constantly carrying resources with you, yet, adding inventory spaces to your ships and freighters is even more difficult and complicated (because it's either expensive as fuck, or you got to find extremely rare items that allow you to add inventory space to them), not to mention that damage to your ship and multi tool is often represented by broken inventory spaces, or broken technology that is installed in these spaces (you install tools and upgrades in your inventory spaces, you even have dedicated tech tabs in it) and you have to find the necessary resources to fix them.

There are three currencies in the game, units, nanites and quicksilver. Units are somewhat easy to grind once you're far enough into the game, but nanites are always an absolute chore to grind. Quicksilver even more so, since you can only get so much per day you play the game, but it's worth noticing that Quicksilver is only used for cosmetic items, being a reward for certain multiplayer missions (that, thankfully, you can do solo). The thing with nanites, is that you need upwards of 50k of them for certain necessary upgrades, but they come in few hundreds every now and then. It's infuriating.

Finally, there are the exploits. Which I'm not sure are still in the game intentionally or not. For example, you can find abandoned broken ships you can claim for your self, and you can fix and keep them, or scrap them for items, both useful and sellable. You build a base next to one, or put a save beacon there and everyday it respawns, the same ship, the same loot once you scrap it (so, if you find one that happens to give you a storage augmentation for ships, you can get an extra one per day). I've also somehow, cut a 24 hour timer on a mission short once, by entering the Anomaly (which is a multiplayer hub you can summon and enter anywhere in space). There's also a weird bug that's very easy to trigger that allows you to essentially bypass all the nanite grind as much as you want. I ended up using it, but I kept that feeling of "Why not have the goddamned nanite economy better balanced instead of this bullshit?"

Lastly, as I said above, it's an incredibly easy game to get lost into, and see hours pass without really noticing, even with all the repetition. And for that I recommend it.
Cursed Treasure 2

Picked this up cheap on sale based on a recommendation from a gogite in the TD thread a few weeks ago- very enjoyable Tower Defense with just a light touch of RPG talent "trees."

The ending was a bit anti-climactic, but otherwise I really enjoyed almost all my time in game. Steam says 21 hours, though I think a bit of that was afk.

I did beat the final (daytime) board, and hit the player level cap, but just missed on the nighttime level and sitll in theory have a number of achievements left to get perfect ("brilliant") scores on a number of levels. Am I motivated enough to grind that out? Eh...probably not.

But as for a playthrough it was well worth the time and a few dollars for the enjoyment. supposedly there's a remaster edition coming out but I'm not sure what the difference will be.

There were a number of reviews saying levels 22-24 were overtuned due to the game's short stint as a free-to-play game with purchaseable boosts, but I didn't really notice that at all. I beat all of them on the first try other than a quick restart on the final board on the first wave when it was clear I had the wrong strategy right away. There were challenging and made me think, since they vary quite a bit from earlier levels on a few mechanics, but really quite doable.
Nier Automata

One of the better JARPS in my book. Good music, silly story, playthroughs can be finished in about 16 hours and entertaining enough to find other endings. I did actually finish the game for the third time but somehow that progress seemed to have vanished from my record, maybe it had to do something with a mod that allowed for offline achievements.

Maybe i'll give it another shot at the end of the year.

Zim's long list of finishes
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2021/post16
Sukeban Deka II is for the Sega Mark III/Master System, based on the second season of Sukeban Deka (gang girl detective). Most of the game is a typical Japanese adventure game in which you see locations from a first-person perspective and interact with things by going through a set of commands on the right. Occasionally you encounter enemies and when you hit the fight command, things switch to a brawler view where you control Saki as she takes down goons and the bosses with her yo-yo. These sections are very simple - your only move is to either jump or throw the yo-yo in the direction you face - and easy, although if you get low on health and have found certain items, Okyo or Yokino will supposedly appear to help you out. I never got that low on health, though.

I did get stumped on the adventure game sections, but when I consulted a walkthrough I learned that the game requires pixel-hunting. I'd had the right idea but wasn't clicking exactly the right spot on the screen. That got me unstuck. The final aspect of the game is that you sometimes have to go through first-person mazes, sort of like a dungeon crawler except there are no enemies. These are pretty easy, except for the final one, which throws some extra puzzles at you, including the unprecedented move of secret doors you need to find by using the command menu. I think the developers added this to extend the game's length because without cheap stuff like this to stump the players the game would be even shorter than it is.

The plot very broadly follows the show's, but it's different enough that knowing the show won't really help you that much. I found it interesting to play after I concluded viewing the show but it's very much a quick marketing tie-in. Part of the long history of licensed games that don't really amount to much.
Final Fantasy VIII (XSX Game Pass)

Well the good news is I did genuinely like this more than FFVII. I preferred the characters, the story with all of it's many "out there" plot twists, had a weird charm. But damn they made some bad design choices...almost felt like an experimental game in some ways. I'm not a fan of the ATB combat system used during this era of FF, but this time it's also extra convoluted in my opinion. Especially since early on it seemingly encourages a play style that doesn't hold up well towards the end game.

But mainly, the issues for me were similar to FFVII in the way it forces party composition for story reasons. Meaning, as usual, you end up with a totally unbalanced party at the end. I know what the game wants, it wants me to go and grind to get everyone to the same level and HP. But screw that. So my main character at the end had well over 5000HP whilst the others had between 800 and 2000. And because the enemies level scale (I assume to the main character level) my weaker characters were getting one shot by the end game bosses...of which there were approximately 15 of. Not a problem, since my main character could survive any hit thrown at him. Until I got to the final boss fight where the asshat final boss selects your party at random. I couldn't even get my main character into the party. Eventually, i finally managed to get my main character called up at the right time to prevent constant game over screens and pulled through. But not happy times.

More than anything, FFVIII made me realize just how good Octopath Traveler is (especially it's combat and boss fights) and how prioritizing story in classic JRPG's is detrimental. As for FF...XV is the by far the best overall experience of the ones I've played, followed by the original NES game then IX, VIII with VII bringing up the rear.
Post edited July 19, 2021 by CMOT70
Zimerius: I did actually finish the game for the third time but somehow that progress seemed to have vanished from my record, maybe it had to do something with a mod that allowed for offline achievements.
I don't think it was your achievement mod. It's years since I played it, but I seem to remember that one of the endings caused the wiping of your game. It's deliberate and part of the story- you lost all your memory I think, or something like that. So you cannot start NG+ because your progress is gone. You have to follow some specific story path to avoid that outcome- you'd need to do some research to see if it's what I'm thinking of. But I'm sure it's not a bug because I remember reading about it and thinking "damn that cruel". The game has a lot of endings.
Ravenloft - Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet

Played since May because Path of Exile league was DOA. Quite nice RPGs... StrahdP had great atmosphere but dungeons were a bit messy while StoneP had better dungeons, worse atmosphere and music.

SP had some improvements here and there (quicksaves), for some reasons clicking on monsters to attack caused massive game freezes. At least there were no level draining monsters here.
I used Summon Insects XP bonus to boost my characters, but it gave me little HP and additional slots for full Heal spell.
I think that my new characters should reach 19lvl or maybe more, even when dual-classing and not hiring more people. Not sure if that's possible for multiclassing duo.

Strahd was easy - shoot lasers with amulet with every free hands on the deck.

My imported characters (9/9 f/m, 9/8 f/m) had decent gear, sadly throwing axe +2 (which returns to the owner) does not work in StoneP. Throwing weapons and bows are garbage here anyway. At least you get some weapons for back rows this time, how generous...

FInal boss in SP was more puzzle-like - bait him into teleporter to fight with his old rival. Then you have to escape and find Scroll of Return to leave that accursed desert. But it was nowhere to be found. Turns out there is limit for items per map, which deletes random items from the map when you reach it.
I stashed my loot in the village, never had any issues in the first game and found item deletion before going to two last dungeons.
No scroll for me...
Post edited July 20, 2021 by SpecShadow
Zimerius: I did actually finish the game for the third time but somehow that progress seemed to have vanished from my record, maybe it had to do something with a mod that allowed for offline achievements.
CMOT70: I don't think it was your achievement mod. It's years since I played it, but I seem to remember that one of the endings caused the wiping of your game. It's deliberate and part of the story- you lost all your memory I think, or something like that. So you cannot start NG+ because your progress is gone. You have to follow some specific story path to avoid that outcome- you'd need to do some research to see if it's what I'm thinking of. But I'm sure it's not a bug because I remember reading about it and thinking "damn that cruel". The game has a lot of endings.
sounds like its typical squareE, i heard people talk about some of the approaches needed to finish earlier final fantasy games, i was more like, never, not even going to try and play such a game.... in this case though only a couple of achievements i had in the pocket such as first time finishing this and first time finishing that, it already smelled fishy when i received one of those achievements during play, my other achievements still live so.... it does seem not to be the case that i choose the annihilation path
Post edited July 19, 2021 by Zimerius
CMOT70: I don't think it was your achievement mod. It's years since I played it, but I seem to remember that one of the endings caused the wiping of your game. It's deliberate and part of the story- you lost all your memory I think, or something like that. So you cannot start NG+ because your progress is gone. You have to follow some specific story path to avoid that outcome- you'd need to do some research to see if it's what I'm thinking of. But I'm sure it's not a bug because I remember reading about it and thinking "damn that cruel". The game has a lot of endings.
Zimerius: sounds like its typical squareE, i heard people talk about some of the approaches needed to finish earlier final fantasy games, i was more like, never, not even going to try and play such a game.... in this case though only a couple of achievements i had in the pocket such as first time finishing this and first time finishing that, it already smelled fishy when i received one of those achievements during play, my other achievements still live so.... it does seem not to be the case that i choose the annihilation path
Okay, so you lost achievement progress only? You're right then, that's probably due to the mod. When I first read your post I assumed it was actual in game progress that got wiped, which happens with one of the endings.
Hydrophobia (XSX)

Xbox 360 XBLA version played under backwards compatibility. Worst ending ever! I don't usually care much about the endings in games because I don't really care about story all that much. Imagine if you watched the first part of Lord of the Rings trilogy and Peter Jackson simply never bothered with the other two parts. That's basically what this is like. It was meant to have sequels that never came. The PC did get a newer version that kind of has an ending apparently and much more content.

Anyway it's a 3rd person action games set aboard a flooding giant ship. The draw for the game was the water physics. Otherwise it's pretty average for the genre. It was actually fun though, right up until the non ending anyway. On the plus side, I bought it recently on sale for A1.50...and it was actually worth it for the 4 hours of play time. But an ending would have been beneficial, just an ending...any ending at all would do- rather than just "we got to go rescue Scoot" THE END.
Post edited July 20, 2021 by CMOT70
Rusty Lake Hotel

This is the recent one i completed..
Well first i thought that this one would be a simple and good to go... But after sometime i just got to know that i can't play this game without walkthrough(at least for me). It's a simple game but you can't play without knowing anything about how to solve those missions/cases.. i mean there's no hints or anything... Well not a bad one either.. It would hv been better if they added some more story and some good animations.
Post edited July 20, 2021 by Lords3
Project Warlock

Of all the recent retroshooters I've played now (Amid Evil, Hedon, DUSK, Ion Fury, Project Warlock), I thought this was the least interesting and least memorable. Not that I didn't have any fun with it, but certainly not such a blast as with the other games, not by a long shot. Project Warlock has just too many issues.

The most glaring one is probably the savegame and death system: contrary to most 90's shooters and the modern retroshooters imitating them, Project Warlock has no manual saving. It only autosaves when you return from a mission. A mission consists of 1-4 levels you need to play in a row. The levels are comparatively short, but playing through 4 levels in one go is still kind of a commitment. If you quit in between, you will have to start the mission form scratch again next time. When you return from a mission, you enter a small hub called Workshop, where you can spend upgrade points on enhancing weapons or learning spells, distribute stat points (Melee, Health, Spirit and Ammo Capacity - the latter under a more obscure name) and choose perks from time to time. But whatever you do here will not be saved if you quit either. In order to save, you have to play through another mission first, so ending a play session with distributing points is useless. When you die in a level, you don't have to restart the whole mission, just the level you died in, but you will lose one "life", like in the old arcade games. If you run out of lives, apparently your savegame will be erased and you'll have to start the WHOLE GAME from scratch. This is not even made clear to the players, so it took some by surprise and prematurely ended their one and only playthrough, as reviews show. To add insult to injury, if you quit in the middle of a mission, it also costs you one life! The only way to avoid dealing with this nonsense is to manually backup the savefile in the hidden AppData folder. Mind you, this is NOT a roguelike game, the levels are not procedurallly created, they will be exactly as before if you have to play through all of them again.

Additionally, the game is badly balanced. On the default difficulty, after a mildly challenging start, I had no problems whatsoever to play through episodes 1-3. Episodes 2 and 3 felt like such a cake walk that it was almost boring, and I never even came close to dying in the regular levels, just once or twice in the third boss battle, while trying to figure out how it worked. At this point, I had already amassed 15 lives, and I was seriously wondering whether I had put too much stat points into Health, creating my very own Easy mode that way. But then episode 4 suddenly ramped up difficulty to an extreme extent, by making enemies shoot volleys of rockets at me and seriously reducing the health pickups compared to the earlier levels. So it became much more challenging but still manageable, and I only died once or twice due to troll moves the game was pulling (apart from the usual, predictable assault scares that we know from DOOM). The boss battle of episode 4 was insane though, and I lost one life after another. Without the backup trick my playthrough might have ended here too, despite the 12+ lives I still had from the easy episodes. Lots of players complained about this battle, it seems, and the dev said, he'd probably have to tweak the battle again (apparently he did already tweak it one time because it was too easy before, and now it is too hard), but so far he did not do it. The players who on the other hand claimed it was quite manageable turned out to have twice as much health as I did (despite me previously thinking I had exaggerated with putting points in Health), or they had a perk that I did not choose but which made a huge dfference. This battle also involves some RNG elements, I believe, because it's random what opponents spawn as support minions of the boss. Eventually I was able to beat it, but it did feel more cheap or lucky than like a real accomplishment. And then episode 5 suddenly was a cake walk again. Also because some weapons are really overpowered depending on how you enhance them, allowing you to kill even the mightiest enemies with two shots or so. And all of the above also shows that mixing such a shooter with RPG elements does not really work that well.

On top of that, the game got quite repetitive in the long run, because the themes are pretty uninspired (Medieval, Arctic, Egypt, Modern, Hell) and level design is rather pedestrian; only two or three levels actually stood out a bit, the others are quickly forgotten. As other reviewers have written already, that's partially due to the levels being orthogonal mazes without many unique points of interest in them and without verticality (with few approximate exceptions). And despite mimicking very simple graphics, the game seems pretty resource hungry and occupies 2.5 GB on the harddisk (while the more detailed Ion Fury only needed 100 MB).

All in all, Project Warlock is not a bad game, parts of it were quite enjoyable, but it's not really all that good either, due to several design choices that just don't work that well. It's just average, a nice enough fix if you need even more retroshooters, but no comparison to the other four games I mentioned at the start.
Post edited July 21, 2021 by Leroux
Bloons TD 6

Technically I'm neither finished nor quitting, but I'm shifting out of regular play to infrequent play.

On the one hand this Tower Defense game is both cute and has some really great systems (and came highly recommended) but it's also got an array of flaws and gaps.

Each board has multiple settings (easy,intermed,hard) and multiple challenge modes within each setting, so replayability is theoretically infinite. It also has an array of heroes to choose from, a vast selection of towers (each with a vast selection of sub-abilities to specialize into) in four different categories (Primary, Military, Magic, Support), each of which gains experience the more you use it, and a series of skill trees you can invest knowledge points into beginning at lvl 31.

The challenges for me personally:
1) There's no story at all. Why are monkey's popping balloons? IDK. What are they even defending? Not clear. Not that a TD game can't be great with little story, but without any story at all there's neither any narrative glue holding the whole together, nor any meaningful tutorial/learning. The game just throws you into the deep-end after a single easy introductory board. I jumped straight into intermediate boards and got crushed repeatedly because you lack any skill points (over-comeable) and your towers haven't progressed enough to access the skills you will need from level 41-60.
2) You end up replaying a lot of easy levels to get to the ones that are "interesting" challenging.
3) There's no feedback at all. Why did that balloon wave just crush me? I have no idea. It doesn't even have a name I can hover over, so it's not like I can google it. Purplish stripey balloon? It makes it hard to improve and tweak strategy with no real feedback, and cycling into #2, you're going to have to wait through boring/easy content to get back to the point in that level to experiment
4) All the choice kinda glosses over that, preference aside, you're likely to pick a few strategies/builds and use them over and over. Which...feels like the illusion of choice. But you will have to level every tower since there are rare challenge maps where a specific tower is required, and you can't utilize it if you haven't unlocked the necessary skills.

TLDR: A toooon of content and replayability, it's just not entirely clear what it's in pursuit of other than spending time.
Mass Effect legendary edition

Wow.

Just... wow. What a trip down to memory lane. What a rush. And once again, what a masterpiece. Forever in my top 3 of all times of PC games, alongside with the Witcher.

Thank you Bioware

Thank you EA

Thank you, Shepard.

So far in 2021: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2021/post12
Cris Tales (XSX Game Pass)

A "JRPG" from Columbia with traditional mechanics but a its own modern looking art style. I really enjoyed it despite the fact it dropped the ball somewhat in the final hours.
You play as Crisbelle, a time mage. Unlike Japanese games, that usually descend into ridiculous territory with their stories, this one is more like a western fairy tale feel- reminded me a bit of Child of Light. The story was pretty good, but I feel it maybe had a plot twist too many in the end, right when I felt like it should be ending, the game then sent me out on just one more lap around the world.

The combat is fine. Standard turn based JRPG with the real time input to do more damage or reduce damage- just like in the South Park games and Yukuza Like a Dragon. However, this game is initially a bit harder since it gives you no actual on screen prompts to help your timing- you simply have to learn each enemies attacks and the timing required, so it takes a bit of practice. Also as a time mage you have some unusual abilities that often get factored into boss fights- being pretty much compulsory, in fact, for a couple of the main bosses.

The party characters were pretty good and each had their own game play quirks- like the android that doesn't use MP for it's abilities and instead builds up heat that has to be managed. Voice acting is quite good, especially Zas.

It took me about 26 hours, which is a good length- far too many of these types of games go too long for no real good reason. Even so, the last hour or two felt like a developer just padding the game to make it longer. I also think the final boss sucked a bit. But it was definitely worth playing for me, though I'm not sure I'd buy it full price if I was going to buy it- more one to wait for a sale.
Post edited July 25, 2021 by CMOT70