It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MMLN: After a short break I went back to Druidstone – The Secret of the Menhir Forest from GOG and finished my goal, to complete the game on Hard Difficulty. The difficulty is pretty challenging, and to get all the missions on three stars, the player needs a lot of patience.
Leroux: That's pretty much what put me off right from the start: IIRC, the tutorial/tooltip/on-screen text tempts you to aim for achieving extra goals and finish a mission with three stars in the very first mission already, without ever telling you that it's pointless in the beginning to even try, that you won't be able to do it with the starting characters yet and have to come back later when you will be stronger and have more abilities. Felt pretty weird too for what I took for a story-oriented RPG. I'll have to give it another chance one day, maybe I will be more lenient towards it now that I know about this.
Well for me, when I had become OK with the fact, that you do not need to get three stars on everything from day one, the game became more fun, less frustrating, and I’ve started to enjoy it much more. Later in the game after recruiting Mochizuki (I hope it’s correct name :-P ) I went back and finished most of the missions on three stars with much ease. And it is few of the games, which I own here, where I do not mind to grind for all achievements, even after finishing the game.
DUSK

Last year I had a blast playing classic FPS DOOM64, DOOM wads like Pirate Doom and Adventures of Square, as well as retroshooters AMID EVIL and Hedon. So naturally I had my eyes on DUSK as well, and yet I was unsure whether I would have the same kind of fun with it, despite the overwhelmingly positive ratings, because for one, I'm not a great fan of the horror theme and even worse, the graphics in screenshots and footage looked way uglier than most 90's FPS to me. But in the end, I decided to take the risk and just buy it anyway (not least because the dev used to be one of us goglodytes).

And I was positively surprised - all my worries were unfounded. Despite the crude graphics and theme, it plays very similar to the other games mentioned above and is just as much fun as them, if not even more so. The level design is awesome, there are lots of secrets to discover, ducts to crawl through, pools to dive in, lots of verticality as well - stairs, jumppads, underwater tunnels, chasms, and the greatest thing: no fall damage -, plus the levels are extremely varied, all of which makes exploration a joy. You also get a lot of bang for your buck, with 3 episodes à 10 (+1 secret) levels each, and yet, since the levels were so diverse and entertaining, I never felt like the game overstayed its welcome. Once you've unlocked a level you can directly select it from the start menu as well in order to replay it, e.g. to find missed secrets, try a speedrun or different difficulty, and you can modify your loadout, max or min the amount of all or specific ammunition.

The weapons are your standard FPS arsenal, but well done, and they also include more medieval weapons like sword and crossbow that can give some levels a slightly different feel, like you're in a hack and slash dungeon crawl all of a sudden. And you can pick up common items like gas cans, saw blades or soap bars and throw them at your enemies. Story and theme don't take themselves too serious, in fact it feels like a wild ride through the 90's and early 00', a pastiche of themes and tropes from all those classic FPS games, be it DOOM, Quake, Blood, Heretic, Half Life and hilariously even a bit of Wolfenstein, and yet it's all consistent and self-contained, no cheap parody; a retro hommage done right. And the graphics, while ugly, are still very atmospheric, and sometimes there is even some kind of beauty in all the ugliness. Last but not least, the sound design is creepy in a good way, and the soundtrack is kick-ass, really egging you on to wreak havoc.

I have a few points of minor criticism, or even just neutral observations that I didn't find 100% positive. First off, I don't usually have issues with motion sickness in FPS games, but in the beginning, playing DUSK actually gave me headaches and even made me slightly nauseous at times, so I could only play it in short burst, and I found that I was not the only one surprised by this problem. It's partially the Quake-like movement speed, I think, but more so the constant camera bobbing. I managed to fix it by making sure Weapon Sway, Camera Animations and Vertical Flipping was toggled off, and whenever the player character randomly got intoxicated by drinking a bottle of beer (which restores morale, the game's equivalent to armor), I did not move and just waited for the camera swaying effect to wear off bevore moving on.

I also wasn't particularly fond of the Save/Load screen, because yes, it's the same screen for saving and loading, and on top of it, instead of buttons saying "Save" and "Load", you have disk symbols that differ only in the direction that the small arrow on them is pointing to, towards the disk or away from it. I was constantly worried that I would confuse the two in the heat of the moment and load instead of save or vice versa. Thankfully it never actually happened, and in the game's defense, it asks for confirmation / renaming before overwriting an existing savegame. But all the savegames are sorted by name, not date, at least if you rename them, which made it harder to find the most recent one and I had to start naming them "00 - name", "0 - name", "- name" etc., just to make sure the latest savegame would appear among those at the very top of the list.

Lastly: RATS. I hated those in Blood already and was not happy to see them appear in DUSK as well. But the dev was probably aware of how annoying and hateable they are and used them on purpose to troll the players. The bosses also weren't that great, but considering that I don't really like boss battles in general, I found them to be okay, not frustrating, and I actually liked that you could cheese most of them (once I knew what I would be dealing with, I could end the fights pretty quickly, using the bigger guns). By the way, I thought the middle difficulty (there are five) was comparatively easy, especially considering you can save and quicksave wherever you want to (easier than DOOM, I think, and much easier than Blood). I didn't mind that at all, I had fun, just saying that the average gamer looking for a challenge might want to choose one difficulty level above it (or abstain from saving for longer intervals) at least .

Anyway, all in all, I thought it's a very entertaining retro shooter, and I did not regret buying it a single time.
Post edited June 24, 2021 by Leroux
Yesterday I've started and finished Deadlight: Directors Cut from GOG. Pretty nice and fun zombie platformer, with occasional shooting and for me very frustrating Second Act :D . Despite that, I've enjoyed the gameplay, even though platformers are not my cup of tea, and I tend to be very bad playing them :D . This game was not an exception, so the 5 and half hours to beat the game was perfect for me.

All my finished games this year can be found HERE :)
Post edited June 28, 2021 by MMLN
I've recently finished Control.

I liked:
+ the Hiss gibberish
+ the maze sequence

I disliked:
+ the combat (low enemy variety, shooting is unenjoyable)

Mixed:
+ pretty, but uninspired visual design
+ tired story, but well-presented

I haven't played any Remedy game since Max Payne 2. Alan Wake always seemed like Max Payne's lamer, tamer distant cousin. Apparently the only other thing is Quantum Break, which for some reason I thought was only available on console. That one seems a bit more interesting, might have to pick it up. But what I'd really love is to replay the two (there are only two, ya hear?) Max Payne games. I'm guessing we have Rockstar to thank for not making them available here?
Metal Wolf Chaos XD. I never played the Xbox version. Of course the thing everyone always talks about with this game is its satirical concept of the U.S. president and vice president fighting each other in mechs. The villain is a cackling psycho and the hero is a pure-hearted idealist who solemnly reiterates that he must do the right thing because he's "the president of the great United States of America!" (The dynamic actually isn't so different from a variety of manga/anime.) It's pretty funny, although maybe not quite in the bwa-ha-ha way of something like Team America. The game's portrayal of the news media is probably even more biting and relevant now than when it first came out, so there is that.

Once you get past that stuff, it's basically a pretty solid third person action game, in the style of a lot of the games of the time. You drop into a different city and have to accomplish a certain objective, occasionally under a time limit but usually just letting you go at your own pace, and the objectives generally amount to "blow up everything". You earn money by blasting stuff, which you spend between missions to upgrade your weapons. You carry up to eight weapons into a mission - I thought the method for switching them was a tad awkward, especially when the game starts attacking you immediately and you realize your defaults aren't quite appropriate. The graphics are nice and relatively clear, but the hit boxes seem inconsistent. There were times when I was aiming dead on at something and barely damaged it, only for the next shot to do serious damage.

It's not a very long game, which is probably good. I wouldn't say it's worth going out of your way to play, but if you just want something goofy to mess with for a little bit and you really like mech stuff, it's entertaining enough.
Witchaven - 2/5

A mediocre, poorly-made 2.5D first-person shooter (melee...er?) with some very questionable design decisions.

In particular, there's a ghost that randomly appears out of nowhere and shrieks at you - presumably for no reason other than to annoy and startle you. I'd say about half of the time it got me, and when it got me, it really got me - almost falling-out-of-my-chair got me. So, um, congrats, Capstone, you succeeded in annoying and startling me - well done, I guess?

Generally, the game's not bad, but it's also far from actually being good. And I assume WItchaven 2's not going to be much better, but at least I know it has fewer maps...
Austrobogulator: Witchaven - 2/5
I played through this when it was actually new... and even back then it was mediocre at best. But I was addicted to everything that smelled of first person shooters, especially since they had been hard to come by (legally) in Germany - nearly the whole genre was blacklisted, so stores only had a very limited selection (in a backroom, together with all the pr0n), and the prices weren't exactly friendly (often imports from he UK or US).
For whatever reason I recently felt like playing a 4X and/or grand strategy game and I figured that Total War is basically the one big 4X franchise I had barely touched (except for some Rome and a tiny bit of Medieval back in the day). So, because I'm an idiot I thought I'm gonna familiarise myself with the series in order and just beat the original Shogun: Total War which I had never played before. Specifically as clan Shimazu which may be one of the easiest campaigns.

Frankly I'm quite amazed by the game, especially since the grand strategy part was reportedly a bit of an afterthought and only added late into development. In spite of that the whole game is pretty great. Surely (most of) the later games are better in every regard but dang, for Creative Assembly's first approach Shogun was already pretty darn amazing.

First off, the battle system is pretty fun and already simulates a crapload of factors. There's morale and fatigue and ammo and weather and a number of other things. Climbing hills is tiring and they provide a range bonus, units hidden in the woods are concealed and more difficult to hit by archers and there are already strong unit relationships. As far as I'm concerned already the original Shogun simulated pretty much everything there is to simulate in a strategy game about medieval combat and it did so pretty well. Even the AI, which to the best of my knowledge is something that has been hit or miss even in much newer Total War games, is pretty competent in this one, except for a few weird behaviours. The combat isn't as dynamic as in, say, Dark Omen, but it's good.

And as I said, even the gameplay on the strategic map is surprisingly good. The basics may be a bit simpler (and a bit less addictive) than even in the original Civilization but it addresses some issues I have had with many other 4X games and adds a few cool features of its own. For one, I really enjoy the fact that the map format provides provinces with drastically different strategic value which makes the map so much more interesting than in most 4X games. The game also keeps you from spamming every available building in every province (what everyone does in the likes of Civ and Master of Orion). And then there's stuff like the ability to assassinate commanders, emissaries and even other leaders (I actually defeated the last faction just by assassinating its daimyo) or bribe and thus "buy" armies instead of fighting them. And provinces even already have loyalty here, so you need to leave behind some troops or shinobi to keep the populations of a freshly conquered province in check - else you will have an uprising on your hands. And you can actually use shinobi to cause uprisings behind enemy lines. And it came as a big shock when I discovered that I can directly invade distant provinces by sea, provided that I sent in a spy first. Good stuff.

The only area that felt significantly underdeveloped is, like in most other 4X games I've played, diplomacy. You can really just propose alliances or declare war, that's the extent of it (and thus even less than in the original Civ). And you can't even march through an ally's territory without declaring war (which is frankly a terrible oversight I've seen in a number of other 4X and grand strategy games as well). However, despite these terrible limitations the diplomacy actually still kinda gets the job done and leads to some interesting dynamics. I actually quickly gained a lot of ground because an ally was eliminated very quickly and his provinces decide to join me. And another ally suddenly decided to betray me and quickly took a ton of my provinces just as I was getting close to winning the game, which forced me to spread my forces a bit too thin and change my entire strategy so I wouldn't get overrun from all sides. Cool stuff!

Of course the UI has some issues. The interface for controlling production or even just moving units around is pretty awkward and some actions are not at all obvious to do (e.g. that in order to propose an alliance you must literally drag and drop an emissary on another faction's daimyo). And especially in the endgame, as you do probably ramp up production and end up with massive armies, things can get really tiresome. But still, it's not so bad that it would keep me from enjoying the game at all.

What I have to mention is that something pretty bizarre happened towards the end of the game. Just as I defeated the last faction I got an uprising in every single province which sadly required me to conquer the entire map again. Luckily doing so went pretty quickly once I started using auto resolve for all fights (which actually provides surprisingly plausible results), also because the rogue factions are pretty weak, passive and disorganised but it was dull. It was so sudden and global that I was sure that it was a scripted event but it didn't happen in any playthroughs I watched on YouTube so I have no idea what went down here.

Anyway, briefly put Shogun: Total War is frankly to this day a surprisingly good and enjoyable game even if it's a bit shallow and clunky. I really can't wait to check out more stuff from the series and see how it developed.
Post edited June 30, 2021 by F4LL0UT
A Normal Lost Phone and Another Lost Phone, June 30 (Itch)-I think this could be an interesting genre with the right story but for me these two games didn't really sell me on it. These two felt a little too much like after school specials. The puzzles were pretty light although I wasn't invested enough to really think about them so if I couldn't solve them immediately I looked at a walkthru. It's difficult to describe but the worldbuilding also felt a little off in both games in some way. Some of the texts and emails and back and forth with contacts felt unnatural. Maybe there were some translation issues as I think these games are French.

Full List
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

The original PoP was one of my favorite games growing up. I played the sequel and thought it was terrible, and by the time they went 3D, I had lost all interest. I'm sure I was at least vaguely aware of Ubisoft's rendition, but likely wrote it off as a silly console game at the time.

That's not entirely wrong. It suffers from wonky controls and terrible camera angles. It has horrible audio mixing - you can't hear the VA most of the time, and there are no subtitles. The combat is tedious. It works, but it's basic, slow, the enemies spawn endlessly...it's really easy, but really annoying at the same time...it's just not fun, but apparently no one told Ubisoft. In fact, no one told Ubisoft until AC Odyssey, where it became (arguably) decent-ish - not that they didn't ruin that by level-gating.

The parkour was mostly well-done. But as satisfying as it was to go through such sequences, the puzzle and combat segments interspersed did no favors to the flow of the game.

In conclusion, not terrible, but I'm in no rush to try the sequels.
Dishonored

Absolutely phenomenal and worthy of all its praise. A particularly pleasant surprise was how well it ran, as I feared that my laptop would stutter with it, as it did with Borderlands 2.

The game scores full marks on almost all fronts. I cannot criticize the story and exposition, but I wouldn't really give it full marks. It's okay at least, and more than passable. The characters on the other hand are all excellent and fun to talk to, though I do think the game would've benefited if you could converse with the characters in a more traditional RPG sense.

There only two things I can think of if I have to criticize the game
1) It's quite easy, unless you handicap yourself in some way, like not using certain supernatural powers. This is something I wish I knew beforehand, in which case I would only have put points in the blink superpower and nothing else.
2) The guard AI isn't that good I think. Most of the time it is not an issue, but I have seen them completely ignore plainly visible fellow guard bodies, not to mention prominent characters' bodies. E.g. in one case I dropped the body of the main boss of a level right next to a guard from a great height, and the guard didn't care to inspect the body. Instead he was just taken aback by the noise of the impact, and started prowling around for the intruder responsible for the noise.
On the other hand, when an actual fight breaks out, the way the guards rush from all over to attack you feels incredibly natural and realistic. The guard behavior in general when they are fighting an intruder or looking for one is quite good.
hyperagathon: Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

The original PoP was one of my favorite games growing up. I played the sequel and thought it was terrible, and by the time they went 3D, I had lost all interest. I'm sure I was at least vaguely aware of Ubisoft's rendition, but likely wrote it off as a silly console game at the time.

That's not entirely wrong. It suffers from wonky controls and terrible camera angles. It has horrible audio mixing - you can't hear the VA most of the time, and there are no subtitles. The combat is tedious. It works, but it's basic, slow, the enemies spawn endlessly...it's really easy, but really annoying at the same time...it's just not fun, but apparently no one told Ubisoft. In fact, no one told Ubisoft until AC Odyssey, where it became (arguably) decent-ish - not that they didn't ruin that by level-gating.

The parkour was mostly well-done. But as satisfying as it was to go through such sequences, the puzzle and combat segments interspersed did no favors to the flow of the game.

In conclusion, not terrible, but I'm in no rush to try the sequels.
Very interesting that you didn't like PoP2, especially if you liked the first game. Anything in particular that bugged you? Personally I've always thought of PoP2 as the best in the series, though granted it felt a little rushed in places (the stupid wooden bridge, and the endless enemies at one point in that red temple)

As for Sands of Time, it was very good at the time, but upon replaying I felt it was incredibly tedious. Especially the fighting. But I wouldn't write off the sequels because of it: Warrior Within massively departs from SoT in several areas, especially the fighting, overall vibe and to a lesser extent the puzzles. The fighting is perhaps the biggest improvement, with a massively expanded list of moves and combos that removes the tedium of SoT's fights, while also raising the skill level significantly.
The change in vibe is the only mixed bag, which players mostly seem to love or hate.
Matewis: Very interesting that you didn't like PoP2, especially if you liked the first game. Anything in particular that bugged you? Personally I've always thought of PoP2 as the best in the series, though granted it felt a little rushed in places (the stupid wooden bridge, and the endless enemies at one point in that red temple)

As for Sands of Time, it was very good at the time, but upon replaying I felt it was incredibly tedious. Especially the fighting. But I wouldn't write off the sequels because of it: Warrior Within massively departs from SoT in several areas, especially the fighting, overall vibe and to a lesser extent the puzzles. The fighting is perhaps the biggest improvement, with a massively expanded list of moves and combos that removes the tedium of SoT's fights, while also raising the skill level significantly.
The change in vibe is the only mixed bag, which players mostly seem to love or hate.
I can't really remember anymore, I just recall starting it a number of times and never finishing it. I might have to give it a chance now that you've talked it up :)

As for WW, I went and read some reviews, seems like I would prefer it (edgy early 00's metal appeals to my sense of nostalgia), so up the list it goes.

Re: Dishonored, I agree, the only serious fault is that it got DLC and then sequels. But that just might be me, I really hated the direction they took with the story/characters/tone after the original game. Gameplay-wise they were still fun.
hyperagathon: I can't really remember anymore, I just recall starting it a number of times and never finishing it. I might have to give it a chance now that you've talked it up :)
Happy to hear :) It's just unfortunate that it isn't on gog, yet (hopefully).
Matewis: Dishonored
There only two things I can think of if I have to criticize the game
1) It's quite easy, unless you handicap yourself in some way, like not using certain supernatural powers. This is something I wish I knew beforehand, in which case I would only have put points in the blink superpower and nothing else.
2) The guard AI isn't that good I think. Most of the time it is not an issue, but I have seen them completely ignore plainly visible fellow guard bodies, not to mention prominent characters' bodies. E.g. in one case I dropped the body of the main boss of a level right next to a guard from a great height, and the guard didn't care to inspect the body. Instead he was just taken aback by the noise of the impact, and started prowling around for the intruder responsible for the noise.
On the other hand, when an actual fight breaks out, the way the guards rush from all over to attack you feels incredibly natural and realistic. The guard behavior in general when they are fighting an intruder or looking for one is quite good.
One problem I had with the game is that when you try to do a zero-kills walkthrough, it's sometimes ridiculously hard to keep the knocked out enemies alive. I even if I carefully placed them, they sometimes slip into nearby water (happened to me in the sewers in the beginning after quickload...). And once I took down a guard with a dog with a tranq dart - guess what: The dog devoured him at once (must have been an animal abuser, that guy...). I was like WTF.