It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ys II chronicles+, pretty nice game i enjoyed it much and managed to beat it, now i know there are extra scenes if i play the game again after beating it.
Did Ys I have any extra scenes if you play the game again after beating it?
Kinda don't think so since i can't find any info about that.
Post edited March 15, 2021 by Fonzer
Drakan: Order of the Flame

Still runs fine on Win 8.1, so I guess the reason why it's not on GOG or anywhere else is either license hell or the owner (Sony?) not being interested in selling their legacy games. I missed out on this classic back in the days, but it was still fun to play today. Kind of an heir to Tomb Raider and precursor to Severance: Blade of Darkness, but with dragon riding on top of it, which was the most awesome part. The general gameplay was nice enough, but these dragon flight and aerial combat sequences were a real joy, incredibly satisfying as the ultimate power fantasy.

What I liked less was the melee combat, which I never quite got the hang of, and the way the game handles items and inventory. Weapons are basically consumables, due to their limited durability. You might find a sword with, let's say, 30/30 durability, and what this means is that after 30 hits, this weapon will break and be gone. In the beginning I thought there would be a smith or something else to fix weapons, but no, you just use the weapons until they're gone, no chance to repair them (which makes finding a weapon with stats like 40/150 or so all the more disappointing - why display the maximum durability in the first place then?). Add to that that the tetris-style inventory is rather limited as well, that even different types of potions and arrows take up different spaces, and worst of all, that you also need to make room for quest items (sometimes several of the same sort, each taking up one space).

And in consequence, I was often distracted with inventory management, pondering over which weapons and other consumables to keep and which to leave behind. Finding something cool and new always meant saying goodbye to something else. So on the one hand, I always found more weapons and items than I could carry, on the other hand, I was constantly worrying about consuming the good stuff too quickly and being left with nothing when in need. And the game made it even harder by giving next to no helpful information about the advantages and disadvantages of specific weapons or items (e.g. does a mithril sword pierce armor? if an ice crystal creates a protective field around me, why am I still being hit as hard as before etc; even the manual remains vague about all that). A nightmare for every packrat.

In the end, I guess I played it kind of wrong. You're probably meant to just use what you find, then pick up the next thing when it's gone, more like in a shooter than in an RPG. But as long as you haven't finished the game, you never know what to expect, if and when you will find another weapon as good as this again, or what you will need to defeat the opponents still waiting for you, later on. In hindsight, I also know now that it's often a valid tactic to just ignore enemies and run past them, especially all the knights which I thought much more annoying to deal with than any of the rather easy bosses. RPGs have conditioned me to try and kill everything, but you don't get any xp here, and only seldom rewards that outweigh the resource drain that combat might bring, unless you've perfected the art of melee and enjoy fighting the same types of enemies again and again. And sometimes you are required to defeat a specific foe in order for a door to open or a key to drop, but those opponents are indistinguishable from the rest. Sometimes, I also had to look up a walkthrough, because there was a lack of clues on what to do (e.g. a sarcophagus suddenly becoming an elevator, but only if you awkwardly hop inside it, and similar looking sarcophagi never acted like this before).

It's also advisable to save often and in different slots, because you can literally get stuck in tight spots without any hope of getting out of it again, especially when riding on the back of the dragon and letting him crawl through narrow tunnels. And the AI of the enemies could be rather buggy, too. Sometimes they had trouble with pathfinding and would just stand there, or they glitched a few meters above ground etc.

In the cutscenes the villain voices could sometimes be a bit hard to understand due to the distortion effects, and subtitles weren't as much of a standard back then as they are today, so the game does not offer any. But the story is simple enough that it did not really matter. The ending was a bit of a letdown, very short and kind of a cliffhanger, maybe in preparation for the sequel that only came out for the PS2 then (if that even continues the story; no idea whether that's the case or not).

Anyway, despite all the negatives listed above, I really liked the game. That's how good it feels to have a dragon at your command. :D
Post edited March 16, 2021 by Leroux
It's an amazing puzzle/adventure and an incredible solid game.
I'd love to see Drakan and a comeback for Severance. It also had a seaqual - a strange acquatic animal I hear - but it was a PS2 exclusive.
Vitek: I flew through AER: Memories of Old on Saturday. While it looks quite nice, it felt a bit empty.
Oh, I just remembered we also finished Grim Fandango Remastered on Friday.
Full list.
I was happy when I got it for free bacause it was one of those titles that always left me undicided. Empy was my same impression and I couldn't take myself to finish it even if I was close to the ending. It could have been much more but in the end happy I got it as a freebie.

I have played the classic GF several times but never the remaster, even though I got it years ago. With all its flaws it's funny and has a good story. I remember a novel based on it exists, with Manny point of view - a fan work maybe?
Incidentally, I'm playing the Night of the Rabbit and there is a funny reference to a mr. Calavera in it.
Post edited March 16, 2021 by Dogmaus
Dogmaus: I remember a novel based on it exists, with Manny point of view - a fan work maybe?
This one?
Dogmaus: I remember a novel based on it exists, with Manny point of view - a fan work maybe?
Cavalary: This one?
I think this is the one! The layout is terrible but if I convert it to epub I might survive :)
Oh, Drakan. That's one game I would like to try.
I always like to feel badass while using dragon.

Dogmaus: Incidentally, I'm playing the Night of the Rabbit and there is a funny reference to a mr. Calavera in it.
Oh, is there? This was my first time playing Fandango and I already played Night of the Rabbit seceral years ago, so i had no idea back then if there was reference to this one.

I don't think there is muc reason to play the remastered version if you played the original one in the past. rom what I reckon it only improves on the controls and visuals and doesn't add anything that substantial to play it anew.
Thanks you both (Dogmaus and Cavalary) for bringing my attention to the book, I might check it out.
Vitek: Oh, Drakan. That's one game I would like to try.
I always like to feel badass while using dragon.

Oh, is there? This was my first time playing Fandango and I already played Night of the Rabbit seceral years ago, so i had no idea back then if there was reference to this one.

I don't think there is muc reason to play the remastered version if you played the original one in the past. rom what I reckon it only improves on the controls and visuals and doesn't add anything that substantial to play it anew.
Thanks you both (Dogmaus and Cavalary) for bringing my attention to the book, I might check it out.
When you are doing a certain errand for a character

[spoiler]

delivering the mail for Plato, one of the letters is for the Magician, from a mr. Calavera

[/spoiler]
I want to replay it in German for the first time, I have played it first in Italian and then English several times - last time was maybe 7 or 8 years ago - and I dont mind the controls and the graphics made better. I don't think I am going to replay it as classic next time unless the remaster is that awful. And I'm goin to use a walkthrough if I'm stuck for more than 5 minutes, damn. It's a be-stuck-fest.

Anyway, my last impressions about the Night of the Rabbit.
It overstays its welcome with technical problems, crashes that forces you to repeat sections of the game, not being able to pause, a careless, aimless writing. Still, there's a lot of good stuff in it. Same author went on to write two novels and make the Pillars of the Earth game, and after 8 years from the original I think it's safe to say that the NotR ends here and no seaquals are planned. It's also true that the original Whispered World was released in 2009 and its Silence in 2016. So the ways of Daedalic are infinite.
This game would have benefitted from a better saving system. Some achievements are impossible to complete if you miss them at first, and they don't work correctly, as some stuff I "achieved" was not counted. But I appreciate that it has in-game achievements that work without any client (no need for Steam or Galaxy). The German voices are good even if sometimes you can say that the same actors are doing multiple characters, it's not the end of the world.
The base price is too much, but for the 2 euros it usually goes on sale for, it's not bad, despite the slowness - that I believed is also caused by the Deadalic engine. The rythm, the timing of dialogues and actions and events are wrong, plagued by innatural pauses.
When you finally reach the final batlle, you try to save but saving doesn't work

[spoiler]

. So you click on an exit button hoping that you will be able to save after. Turns out that clicking of the exit button was the solution

[/spoiler]

and triggers the ending of the game, and endless boring explanation of things that you should have been able to learn during the game, rather, and are mostly very predictable. The comic book I was excited about is just 8 pages long and consists in a conversation of two characters in one location. It's not clear why it could have not been just another cutscene. The soundtrack is irritating at the beginning but it gets better at times later on.
Some of the humour in the game actually works, but this game is not suitable for children as one might think from the beginning. It gets grim and weird, and the dialogues too serious and strange for a child. It's also too boring for a child. It's aimed at adults who are attracted to cartoon content, expecially anime like Naruto or Ghibli stuff, more than at children looking of a Redwall-like adventure, despite the cute speaking animals living in the woods. It's better than the Whispered World or Deponia, but together with the love that the makers put in it come some amateuriality, unjustifiable lack of game design comprehension - after so many ears in game dev, the self indulgence, like a dj that won't stop playing his music when all party goers are tired and gone, or that old man telling his stories at the bar to people that find him funny but think he goes on too much to care all the time, and he won't shut up (can't pause it).
low rated
Game#3 - Soldier of Fortune Platinum
(GOG/Win 10...Completed 3/17/2021)

This is a decent FPS, wherein you play a mercenary called Mr. Mullins......chasing bad guys around the world and saving the day. With a number of interesting weapons(some of which have differing effects on enemies) and plenty of action, it is a worthwhile purchase if one likes FPS and "saving the world" themes.

(spoilers)

Pros

Many weapons to choose from...including some with very unique effects
(depending on things like what part of the enemy is hit)

A nice(if cliched) plot of "save the world from imminent danger"

Some really nice levels(like a snowy base, and middle eastern cities)

Cons & Misc

Limited item/weapon slots when picking one's gear before certain missions
(though one can pick up weapons/items beyond this limit while on the missions)

Enemies seem to chew through armor and health quickly, and come in large numbers in some levels.
(some may either like this or find it daunting)

Some bits have a time limit

(end spoilers)

-

Overall Score: 6.5-7/10
(A nice little "mercenary saves the world" FPS, and well worth the asking price)

-
Post edited March 18, 2021 by GamezRanker
I advanced on my long quest to play through whole Tomb Raider Franchise and I completed Tomb Raider 10.
So far it was probably the most enjoyable Tomb Raider I played. Big part of it is because it is yougnest of those I played so also the least dated. I have to admit it is also one of the least tomb raidery games of them. It has most fleshed out story of all (although I think I liked the one from the previous trilogy better), it obviously looks much much better than previous games (I had some graphics and physics glitches but not that many) and controls very well.
There was bit too much shooty shooty for my taste and not enough jumpy puzzly. There is not really much puzzles at all. Mostly in optional tombs and they are quite simplistic. Otherwise it is mainly environmental traversal but not much of puzzles with levers, pushing crates, pressure plate and similar stuff.
Other things I was not to keen on are how quickly it goes from scared inexperienced person facing great threat and being helpless to the phase when you are killing enemies ruthlessly by dozens. Then the open world nature of the map where you can fast travel to previously visited areas. Sure, It helps with picking up collectibles but the game is otherwise story-driven and tries to immerse you with its atmosphere and it quite breaks you when you suddenly teleport to old area to look for some old helmet you missed.

All in all I enjoyed the game and the way the game headed was good one overall but it doesn't feel as much as Tomb Raider compared to the older instances in series.
I think I would rate it 7,5/10 but I was heavily considering giving it an 8.

Full list
Post edited March 19, 2021 by Vitek
Medera - Fall of Rainmeadow (NWN:EE, Review)
Medera - Stonegate Adventures (NWN:EE, Review)
Post edited March 20, 2021 by Leroux
Tower of Time, March 19 (GOG)-I liked this quite a bit. The setup to explore a mysterious tower was good and each of the levels felt pretty unique. The game was at its best when you were free to explore the tower, learn its secrets, and fight a ton of battles. The game was at its worst when it was trying to develop the story and advance the plot. It just fell a bit flat and all I wanted was more battles. I didn't care for the crafting and I would have liked a better economy. The game also really struggled with any elevation change. Going up or down stairs and ramps was a pathfinding pain. Towards the end the battles with the same enemies got a little stale. Overall for the first half it was exciting and new and for the second half it still managed to be pretty good despite some annoyances.

Full List
Post edited March 20, 2021 by muddysneakers
Late to the party this year, Include me

21.03.2021. - Jack and Dexter - Precursor Legacy (PS2)
11.04.2021. - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
12.04.2021. - Mortal Kombat Armageddon (Konquest mode) (PS2)
16.04.2021. - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
25.04.2021. - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
25.05.2021. - Far Cry 3 (PS3)
15.05.2021. - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
06.09.2021. - Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)
18.09.2022. - Ratchet and Clank (2016) (PS4)
Post edited September 18, 2021 by IronStar
Risen: I really enjoyed this game. Gothic with more quests (and more bugs maybe?).
Finished a few games since last time:
- Chook & Sosig - Walk the Plank: A nice and short point'n click. Not bad but not excellent either.
- Fractured Minds: I didn't like it.
- Monkey Island 2: Nothing to say about it. Still as good as in the past :)
- The Cave: An ok puzzle game.
- Dust: An Elysian Tail: An excellent metroidvania, not very difficult though.
- Orwell: Keeping an Eye On You: An original game but I didn't understand a few consequences of choices I made.
- Driver: San Francisco: A fun racing game with an interesting twist. I liked it.

Full list: here