It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

d3adb01t: DOOM (2016)
Unpopular opinion but I honestly hated this game
May I ask why?
SPOILERS FOR UNAVOWED

kalirion:
I only killed two (that forest dryad and Roy Fellows), so I don't know exactly what happens when you kill all of them, but it would seem that this limits your options somewhat in the endgame. I assume there are solutions available even if you can't summon anyone at all, but they're probably not optimal.
In any case, I thought those choices weren't implemented well, it just seems that letting the monsters live is ALWAYS the best choice.
morolf: SPOILERS FOR UNAVOWED

but it would seem that this limits your options somewhat in the endgame. I assume there are solutions available even if you can't summon anyone at all, but they're probably not optimal.
In any case, I thought those choices weren't implemented well, it just seems that letting the monsters live is ALWAYS the best choice.
So killing limits your options, so what? Seems to me that you're considering "more options = best choice" from a gamer perspective, not a story perspective. Since when is "doing the right thing" (per your personal values) meant to be the easy street?

Let me tell you, I spared "nature", and summoned her, and two certain characters were vocally upset that her help was relied on. Story wise, I'd say that more than cancels out the "reward" that you speak of.

Edit: Just loaded my saved game at the start of the area and went through without summoning anyone except "art" (which I'm guessing you always have to and always are able to). Now the ligs summoned itself, can't do anything about that without starting the entire game over. So it was just me and V at the end, all 4 endings still available.
Post edited August 13, 2018 by kalirion
Hyper Light Drifter. Nice little Zelda-like game. You control this character who's wandering a post-apocalyptic landscape. There are four regions you need to explore to unlock these machines that will open up the way to the final boss. You have a sword and gun and you can dash to dodge and jump across gaps in the floor (you also get a grenade that I hardly ever used). The action often moves pretty fast but not totally hectic and the game gets easier when you buy various upgrades. The game definitely has its challenging points but it's not trying to kick you in the nuts like a "Nintendo hard" game does. Enemies all have patterns that you get the hang of quickly, so if you die you feel like you're just one or two tries away from beating them without getting scratched.

It has a striking pixel art look with non-verbal cut-scenes that reminded me of Another World at times, although it does have a bit of "that indie game vibe" too, like it takes place in the same universe as Fez or something. You're meant to piece together the story by observing instead of the game feeding you the story, which I like. The music is by Disasterpeace, whose work I remember enjoying in other games, but the music in this one is mostly moody ambient stuff and a more defined, up-tempo score would have been more to my liking.

I beat it in about 8 hours, which is a good run, I think. If it had been longer it might have started to feel like a chore. There are a lot of secrets and collectibles but none are required, which was a good move because otherwise it would indeed have felt like the game was being padded.
d3adb01t: DOOM (2016)
Unpopular opinion but I honestly hated this game
kalirion: May I ask why?
Boring and Repetitive. Most of the guns feel neutered and are only there to bring up the gun count. There's really only one play style to beat the game. Kill demons press button and do some platforming. I tried to enjoy the game but it wasn't for me.
Looking back at reviews they're either "this is the greatest game of all time" or "RIP AND TEAR"
Jotun, Aug 13 (GOG)-The gods have failed to impress me. This game has gorgeous levels with nothing in them. Most of the the levels are just solving some light environmental puzzles. Only 2 of the 9 levels had any enemies to fight and there are only a handful of powerups to find in each level. Its a lot of walking with little to show for it. Even the powerups don't really make you feel much more powerful. A couple of them I didn't really use and one I didn't even find. The bosses themselves range from easy/moderate (might take a couple of tries to beat) to really difficult (took me about a dozen or so tries to get through). At the end I was glad it wasn't longer and I got it for free.

Full List
Finished The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief.

It was an ok point'n click games. Story, dialogues, characters and puzzles were good (although puzzles were on the easy side). Animations and pathfindings were broken though. Graphics were ok.

I recommend it on promo.

Full list here.
Dead Space 3 (XB1X)

Xbox 360 version played on Xbox One. It actually finished off the trilogy quite well. Despite being made to be playable in co-op mode all the way through, it doesn't show. In single player it feels pretty much identical to the other games. Well except for the pointless weapon crafting system. I don't see why they had to add that, and I completely ignored it anyway. So it's optional. In fact, not only did I ignore the weapon crafting, I completed the entire game without ever feeling the need to resort to any weapon other than the standard cutter tool (fully upgraded) along with upgraded stasis and TK. I also fully upgraded my suit.

Otherwise it's just like the other games. Same slow and tense progression. Same feeling of dread. Same easy to predict script points...like every single time you flip a major switch you just know a shitload of space zombies are going to come bursting out of vents, every...single...time. The predictability means you are always prepared...or you're not very smart or have a learning disorder. I'd say as the series goes on, it's predictability becomes it's biggest flaw. Visceral never quire learnt that mixing it up a bit is actually better- sometimes a horror game actually shouldn't ambush the player when they expect it.

At least this time they didn't finish the game off with an annoying gauntlet run like the terrible level 14 of DS2. Actually, I think they finished it up pretty well this time. Overall the first game was best for me, with the 2 sequels pretty much equal.
Post edited August 14, 2018 by CMOT70
Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse (2013) (Linux)

OK, this one was nice. But nothing more. Beautiful graphics, decent animations, great music and - finally - return to hand-drawn 2D style. But I didn't liked the story very much. Sense of humour reminds the series style, but, well, not exactly. And I was quite disappointed with puzzles. The game is uneven IMHO - very easy (almost close to casual HOGs) and lacking creativity at the beginning, but at the end some puzzles become overly complicated. It seems that there is no way back to first two chapters. Especially the first part is absolute masterpiece.

List of all games completed in 2018.
Shadow Complex: Remastered (PS4)

Shadow Complex is a metroidvania style game (Though more Metroid than Vania) in which you must infiltrate a hidden subterranean base filled with bad guys who plan to cause a new US Civil War that will somehow allow them to create an American Empire (The Story isn't the best) and save your girlfriend. This game is very similar to Super Metroid, right down to the power ups and abilities, there are numerous collectibles to find, secret areas to explore and many enemies to kill. The game was very fun, if you don't try to collect all the upgrades than it's a challenge, if you do, then the game becomes very easy. The game is very short however, I managed to almost 100% it in the space of a few hours, however it is very good fun, though the boss battles aren't that great. I'd recommend this game, and I believe its also available on Xbox Live and Steam.
ciemnogrodzianin: Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse (2013) (Linux)

OK, this one was nice. But nothing more. Beautiful graphics, decent animations, great music and - finally - return to hand-drawn 2D style. But I didn't liked the story very much. Sense of humour reminds the series style, but, well, not exactly. And I was quite disappointed with puzzles. The game is uneven IMHO - very easy (almost close to casual HOGs) and lacking creativity at the beginning, but at the end some puzzles become overly complicated. It seems that there is no way back to first two chapters. Especially the first part is absolute masterpiece.

List of all games completed in 2018.
The game was released in two parts. I remember that first part got accused of being too easy and they tried to make second part more difficult.
I think they forced the difficulty with some puzzles...
I couldn't do the sound one. Made no sense to me.

Anyway. Congratulations on beating all BS games
lukaszthegreat: ...
Oh, that explains a lot. I didn't know that.
That place, with sound puzzle, was just a nightmare. There was more stupid ideas there. And at some point you are told to find hidden Uroboros symbol and you find it with a first click... Well, that game was totally imbalanced for me.
Battlefield 1 (XB1X)

Played the single player stories mode. Second time, first time was when the game was free play for a weekend last year. Then it recently got a 4K patch for XB1X and went on sale for only A$7.50 (so like US$5), and at that price it's worth it even just for the short story mode.

Basically it's 5 short story campaigns set on different fronts of WW1. As long as you don't go into it expecting historical accuracy, they are actually quite enjoyable. The stories range from driving tanks, flying a Bristol Fighter, assaulting a fortress etc. Everything from full frontal assaults to stealth. For me driving the tanks is the best part of the game, especially stealing one of the light tanks in the Arabia story. The game looks stunning, EA's Frostbite engine really has become the graphics engine of this console generation. It takes about 7 hours for all the stories, but it's worth it for the low price the game can now be purchased for. I think publishers should try releasing these single player modes as cheaper stand alone DLC's, so people that just want the single player modes don't have to wait 2-3 years for the price to be reasonable.
Ys III: Wanderers From Ys (Turbo CD version). In this one, you travel to Dogi's homeland and find out it's gone a bit downhill and you end up having to beat up some demon to fix everything. There's slightly more to it but that's the gist.

In contrast to games 1 and 2, this one switches to a side view, and you push a button to attack and push the other button to jump, although the game retains the GUI of the previous games with your stat bars on the bottom and the playfield bordered by that gold trim. I often nitpick about other games if I feel like things isn't moving fast enough but that isn't at all a problem in this one. Stuff moves so quickly that I had to mentally catch up to the game's pace, and once I got used to the combat, the game felt as good to play as the "bump system" used before. After you're leveled up and have better equipment, you can tear through levels fast enough that it's more about making yourself slow down so you don't carelessly get your health whittled down too much before a boss fight. It's mostly well-paced so I only had to briefly grind for experience or gold in a couple of sections.

The graphics are merely adequate, but the soundtrack is AWESOME! The Ys games have a reputation for their great music and this is one of the better soundtracks, IMO. There aren't many out of engine anime cutscenes, but the game sometimes stops to have characters speak to advance the story. The voice acting is as hilariously low-rent as any other early CD-ROM game, but I still found it endearing because this was back when just hearing brief voice clips in a game still felt exciting and it was before developers started having everything voiced and you just wanted to get back to playing instead of sitting there for 5 minutes while the cutscene droned on.
For Honor (XB1X)

The single player campaign. Up until they launched the game as this months GwG title, I didn't even know it had a single player campaign. It plays similar to a game like Ryse Son of Rome...which is basically like a modern version of the old side scrolling brawlers like Streets of Rage (but in 3D obviously). So you fight your way from place to place, from boss to boss with a story joining it all.

So, naturally, the combat is important for a game like this. It's okay, something like a cross between Dark Souls and Assassins Creed. It's a very deliberate, slow and heavy weighted system like the souls games- you can't just button mash the tougher enemies, though you can with the cannon fodder soldiers. And it's like Assassins Creed in that timing your attacks and deflections by watching for your opponent to commit and over extend is the key. For anyone that's done much REAL fighting, well it's sort of how you really do it. The systems downfall is that it doesn't work well when facing multiple enemies- or maybe I just suck. But one on one, it works surprisingly well.

The campaign has you swapping between various protagonists and covers all the classes. You level up and upgrade and select two preferred special skills for each chapter. The 18 chapters take about 6 hours. It took me a bit to get into, but I ended up enjoying the experience and will play again on harder difficulty sometime (I played on normal). As for value it falls into the same place as so many primarily multi player games- no one will pay full price that only wants the short campaign, no matter how good it is. But on deep sale or when it's basically for nothing like on GwG, then maybe.
Post edited August 18, 2018 by CMOT70