on PS Vita
Just got it for free as part of the PS+ membership... and just finished in Normal mode.
I'm finally very mixed about this game.
On the pro :
- stylish, spy action, with a visual and sound design and a tongue-in-cheek humor that isn't without bringing back some N.O.L.F memories. And that's a big plus for me. The setting is the Cold War and you're an agent of a mysterious third power called C.O.U.N.T.E.R. trying to play its cards between the Imperialists and the Socialists. So you'll be doing infiltration missions, retrieving intel, codes, etc...
- the level design is clever, since it changes in each game much like a Rogue-like. So don't bother to learn the place, just learn the game mechanics. Of course room patterns will repeat, still it's a nice touch and breaks monotony, I think. They are lots of hidden passages and alternative routes.
- skills and weapons, which you can unlock during your progression in the game, are useful and quite well-though, at least for those i could unlock: more stealth, weapons that can turn enemies and make them attack their own buddies, etc... Nice ! Plus, you don't have unlimited slots for the equipment or unlimited money, so you have to choose carfeully.
- the game actually rewards stealth since you can (in theory) achieve a level without ever being seen. It's up to you to use well your skills, weapons and environment. For example, don't pirate a computer if there's somebody around, they will hear you.
- Once you finished a difficulty level, you''l keep and the things you unlocked if you start a new game.
- there's a leaderboard, so more motivations for the players who like to be the best in the world ;)
The cons, now:
- waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too short: in normal mode at least, the game is nothing really difficult and I finished it in 14 gametime days, with a major miss in a level - that's maybe what, 3 hours at best? Of course, three difficulty levels make it three times longer, but it's artificial (unless there are plot developments in the harder difficulties, which I doubt since I started a game in hard mode and the narrated story was just not there anymore).
- the story: makes no sense because of the final mission. Won't say more here not to spoil people who will play it, but still, I was very very disappointed.
- the handling: once again, a gamepad is not what you want when you want to aim and shoot something. When you are not under enemy pressure, when you're hidden, you can take your time to aim and it works reasonably well. But if you're engaged in a gunfight, it's quite a pain in the ass...
- the security cameras: since it's a 2D platformer and the cameras work in 3D (they turn not only left-right but also 360) it's a little bit painful at first to really understand where they're aiming. So it's better to watch the camera's body that the camera's light. Plus some can be cheaply placed, just after a door or a secret passage, when you can't see it in advance.
So, yeah, I'm mixed. Despite the cons, it's still a very good game, but frankly I wish they had made it much much longer...
So far in 2015: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2015/post2