It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Nihilumbra

I don't know if I should call it finished or aborted.
The game has nice style and narration, is very short and is ridiculously easy, the second difficulty is ridiculously hard and pure frustration. I aborted the second playthrough in the third level already because it's just no fun and plain mean. You really can't call this difficulty curve a "curve" anymore. It's just skyrocketing straight upwards after the first playthrough
The Linux port runs very well btw.
Post edited February 09, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Enebias: The Chronicles of Riddick (consisting in both a graphically enhanced remake of "Escape from Butcher Bay" and "Assault on Dark Athena")...
This reminds me, I should play the second one.

Enebias: If you want a proof that (despite the vast amount of evidence the AAA garbage industry likes to cover us in each year) "linear FPS" does not mean "bad game", I can certainly recommend you this game.
After playing the Battlefield 3 campaign I definitely do need that reminder...
Finished Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain earlier today. A good start to the series, but I much prefer the Soul Reaver installments. As the only top-down game in the series, it feels a bit limited compared to the 3D ones. You do get a lot of different powers and items compared to those (or even compared to 2D Zelda's), but you only need a very small subset. Mostly its just swinging your sword and figuring out where to go. I'm kind of talking it down too much because I like later games better, but Blood Omen is good and I recommend giving it a shot. Story is also pretty good at this point before it completely jumped the shark in Blood Omen 2.

Also finished My Girlfriend is the President just now. This one's a really funny romcom VN. Premise is that an alien spaceship crashed into Japan, so they brainwashed everyone into believe Japan's government mirrors the USA and that you and your highschool friends make up the top government positions while the alien fixes everything back the way its supposed to be.
The Blackwell Epiphany. A pleasant end to a pleasant series. I'm not totally wild for these games, but they do the retro point-and-click style well and they have decent characters and storylines (if we're talking Wadget Eye's whole output, Primordia, and to a lesser extent Gemini Rue and Resonance, are more my speed). They kind of feel like the video game equivalent to a cozy, mid-list mystery novel series. I'm curious to see what Dave Gilbert does next now that he's wrapped up this story.
Include me.

24.08. Heart of Darkness (1998) - 7/10
06.09. System Shock 2 (1999) - 9/10

Edit: removed Life Is Strange episode from the list since I'll rate it as I finish the whole season

__________________________________________________________________________________________

<span class="bold">Games Finished In 2013</span> (11)
<span class="bold">Games Finished In 2014</span> (1)
<span class="bold">Games Finished All-Time</span> (42)
Post edited October 07, 2015 by Venser
FTL

OK, this is kinda cheap. But I'll take any help I can for this list. I'm still not gonna finish 20... I beat the boss on Easy. I did it dozens of times last year, but this was my first playthrough of 2015.

It was actually a pretty cool run. I had everything I needed for an easy win - 3 blasters and the weapons preigniter - by the 3rd sector. And a scrap arm. Thank goodness, because who knows how I could have won without that thing.

I only beat 10 less enemies than my record, yet somehow ended the game with 900 less scrap than my record. It's OK, I learned to live poor in my 20s. :)

Still love this game!
Star Wars: Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith: Birth of a Mercenary
Three level mod for Mysteries of the Sith, working as a prequel to Dark Forces. Really nicely done piece of entertainment done with good understanding of Star Wars canon. Nice level design, some tweaks to the engine (like characters moving their mouth when talking), rather creative boss fight at the end.
Worth checking out for DF \ JK fans.
Venser: Include me.

09.02. - Life Is Strange Episode 1 (2015) 7.5/10

__________________________________________________________________________________________

<span class="bold">Games Finished All-Time</span> (41)
I got you beat, but not by much, 62 games finished. :)

Looks like you need to put Dead Rising, Farcry and Mass Effect on that list.
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

This was rough. I do not particularly enjoy adventure games, nor am I good at them. I've all but avoided them my whole life. I used the hint book, online FAQs, and YouTube to complete this game. I solved nearly nothing on my own.

The story was alright. The hype that I'd hear about how great the story is made me want to finally play the game, but to be honest, it wasn't all that spectacular. It was charming, though.
Venser: Include me.

09.02. - Life Is Strange Episode 1 (2015) 7.5/10

<span class="bold">Games Finished All-Time</span> (41)
bad_fur_day1: I got you beat, but not by much, 62 games finished. :)

Looks like you need to put Dead Rising, Farcry and Mass Effect on that list.
Oh man I have a huge list of games I have to play. Haven't even played Half-Life 2.
Murder, She Wrote 2
I don't play many hidden object games, but I have to say that I enjoyed this one much more than I would have expected. It's a collection of three different crime cases (and you have to solve one to unlock the the next). Besides the search for hidden objects there are also some other minigames and minor puzzles you have to complete to advance the story. Most of them are very easy, but there are also some good ones (and I was even stuck once).

General quality of graphics, music and voice acting is ok, but the "animations" in the "cutscenes" are ridiculous and made me laugh more than once.

Complete list of finished games in 2015
I managed to finish1/10 of Dragon Age Inquisition.
Now I enjoy the modding side of the game. :)
The Last Tinker: City of Colors

I liked it a lot. Not really challenging but very charming and enjoyable. Comparisons to Jak and Dexter or Psychonauts that I've read somewhere don't do either of the three titles justice, because this is a very different game and probably also aimed at a much younger audience (maybe more like Mini Ninjas?). But it's got an original and pleasing art style, unique characters and setting, good soundtrack, a simple but well-told story and enough variety to entertain even a childish old fart like me for the 10-12 hours it took me to play through. Oh, and - who would have guessed - it's full of vibrant colors! And possibly the best Daedalic published title I've played so far. A shame it's not on GOG though.

The absence of a Jump button (or better yet, the presence of an Auto-Jump button) is a curious design decision, but I got used to it. And the boss battle at the end was quite tedious and annoying (it's easy but takes forever, with short cutscenes in between the stages but no save points). But it wasn't horrible enough to make me forget all the fun I had before. I probably won't go looking for all the collectables I've missed though; you can't freely explore the whole world after the ending, but you're allowed to revisit all levels of your savegame and keep the money, life and discovered collectables you had after completing the game. Not your powers though, and you still have to go through all the story and dialogue again. So I guess I'll never know how the locked Mirrored World mode or Combat Arena are like. *shrugs'

Still, recommended to anyone who likes the look of it and doesn't consider themselves too much of a hardcore gamer to enjoy a relaxingly easy game reminiscent of sweet children's books or cute manga/anime/JRPGs. And also recommended to, well, kids who can read and handle a controller. ;)
Post edited February 26, 2015 by Leroux
Finished episode 4 of Wolfenstein 3D. Levels are most of the time mazes and sometimes, you need to find secrets to have access to the key needed to finish the level, not very clever design...

Full list here.
A reviewer for PC Gamer once wrote the truest thing I've read about Peggle: he spent scores of hours playing it, refining his score, advancing through the achievements, unlocking combos. Just another few dozen hours, he wrote, and he was sure to figure out if he enjoyed it or not.

1849 is that kind of game.

It's a simplified city-building resource-management game: it isn't dumbed down, precisely, so much as it's smartened up from its origins as a mobile game. Each of the 20 scenarios involves building up a town or tiny settlement in California at the dawn of the gold rush; there's a separate DLC campaign which adds new buildings and railroads and takes the action to Nevada (sounds like it's more an expansion than DLC, though I have not played it). The devs have improved some of the laborious gameplay in the Nevada scenarios, apparently, but the 27 hours Steam says I've spent playing California are enough for me for now.

Basically, each town-to-be starts off with a road and a depot, which is where the town's workers will store the fruits of their labors. Resources are chained from farms to product to refined trade goods: so barley farms grow barley, which is trundled to the depot, where the brewers can take it out to make beer, and so forth. As the town grows the early shacks and hovels become homes and then estates; the residents want lumber first, and then boards, and then when they get all fancy they'll ask for a school and a church and eventually a newspaper office. And, always, lots of booze and a saloon. The nicer the homes, the more rent they pay; the more people there are in town the more jobs you'll need to create so unemployment doesn't cause crime. What the town doesn't use can be sold to neighboring settlements if there's call for it. It keeps a fella busy.

The mechanics are actually pretty nice, and there's a fair range of options: you can make wheat farms, orchards, barley farms, olive farms, vineyards, fishing stations, stone and salt quarries, and mines for iron, silver, gold, and oil (well, rigs for oil, but they live on the same tab). Each scenario also includes two optional objectives which require some speedy building to meet stretch goals, which are paid well with trade goods, and the goals are balanced to keep the game constantly in motion - there's never quite enough money to build what you need to build when you need to build it, and there's lots of buying raw goods (for towns which can't produce them) and selling surplus while you try to stockpile the stuff you need for victory.

Four or five challenges in, though, I had seen most of what there is to see. Gameplay is incredibly repetitive, and while the graphics are attractive and fun, the buildings are limited and the camera is fixed, so the player can't really see a lot of detail most of the time - cities are clumpy and they all look the same. (There are new models in the DLC, apparently.) There's a nice bluegrassy soundtrack, but the handful of tunes cycle so much that they become invisible after a while. The objectives vary as much as they can, but at the end of the day this is a well-decorated mobile game, with limited play options: sometimes your town can farm what you need for export and sometimes you need to import all of the raw supplies to make trade goods, but play all comes out roughly the same.

I'm not immensely clever at these games, and so my time of 27 hours to complete the 20 California scenarios is probably way more than what a better player would spend - I managed to run a couple of towns into the ground before I learned to only manufacture what I could sell on the market, that sort of thing. I missed four of the Cali achievements, largely due to inattention; while I'm enough of a nut job to actually consider going back and playing them out, at the end of the day I've spent enough time on this one, and I don't need to head back in to figure out whether I enjoyed it or not. There's also a sandbox mode, which I did not explore.

SomaSim, the developer and publisher, is a two-person operation, thus the limited options and the repetition of resources. They've made a solid game, though it seems costy to me at $14.99. My copy was a gift-trade from GenkiColleen - it's for sale here on GOG, but I played the Steam version.

There's some good solid design under the hood here and production values are high, though it really needs more variety and flexibility to be the kind of adventure it clearly wants to be. And it's bug-free, which is always nice in an indie.

My fledgeling list for 2015
Post edited February 11, 2015 by LinustheBold