It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I beat Pier Solar a few days ago and it took me about 28 hours. I enjoyed the story, writing and characters, but I question a lot of their design choices. Misleading Foreground getting in the way of progress, problems with scripted events, healing outside of combat with spells, minigames you have to complete to progress, pointlessly confusing dungeons and slow combat. With all that there were many times where I was just like "I am sick and tired of this games bullshit", but I kept playing it anyway. I doubt I would ever revisit it because the story is what kept me going and going back to it means I will just go through all the games bullshit for no good reason.
Austrobogulator: Of course, that's obviously not mentioning how obnoxious/misogynistic/plain unfunny 90% of the humour is.
O_o? I mean, it's Duke Nukem 3D - what kind of humour did you expect?

That said, I can agree to the criticism (I've always liked Quake 1 more than DN3D in terms of gameplay). I especially hated diving in the game, since the vertical controls/swimming just doesn't feel right - probably due to the 2 1/2D mechanics.

Did you play Shadow Warrior (classic) yet? I ended up liking it better than DN3D although I suspect you wouldn't like the humour either.
Austrobogulator: Finally just finished Duke Nukem 3D. I do understand why people hold it in very high regards, but there are a lot of issues:

Terrible AI - or maybe the enemies just really love walking into walls over and over again and shooting at nothing.

A lot of things don't have much use or don't make good on their potential (holo duke, laser trip mine, steroids, expander/shrinker, freezethrower).

Far too many switch combination 'puzzles'.

General jankiness/glitchiness: The way perspective works in the game made me feel ill - particularly on very vertical levels (I did start getting used to it though), enemies clipping through walls and floors, colour filters/lighting carrying over to menus - making it hard to see things.

The occasional ugly graphics - the main offender being crudely cut out of photos used for the palm tree sprites. But there are also other graphics that don't antialias properly to certain backgrounds.

Secret areas are wildly inconsistent - A lot are pretty well hidden...but then there are secret areas which literally just involve opening a door (Some 'secrets' are even required to beat certain levels).

Some really nasty level design - parts where you can reach an unwinnable state, levels where you instantly take damage (if you start low on health, you can die immediately through absolutely no fault of your own), and some excessively convoluted and confusing level designs.

Of course, that's obviously not mentioning how obnoxious/misogynistic/plain unfunny 90% of the humour is.

And on a related note: Repeating dialogue can get incredibly annoying. Repeating dialogue can get incredibly annoying.

Having got all that off my chest, I did end up enjoying it a fair bit. I really am a sucker for sprite-based shooters. Once I got into the game, I really got into it and just had to keep playing. As a counter to what I said above, there's certainly a fair amount of clever and fun moments. I think my favourite level would be spin cycle - I have a thing for simple/elegant level design.

If you want a tl;dr: A lot of things I dislike, but evened out by being a mostly fun experience with some sparks of genius here or there. I'd consider it to be a solid three star game.
Have you played Shadow Warrior?
It gets rid of the bullshit switch puzzles which really helps the pace of the game.
Austrobogulator: Of course, that's obviously not mentioning how obnoxious/misogynistic/plain unfunny 90% of the humour is.
toxicTom: O_o? I mean, it's Duke Nukem 3D - what kind of humour did you expect?
Well...Duke Nukem 1 and 2 were very different in tone to Duke Nukem 3D. He went from being an action hero parody to being an obnoxious asshole.

I haven't played the original Shadow Warrior yet, I've played 2013's Shadow Warrior though. At least from what I understand, they toned down the humour in the new Shadow Warrior. Chances are that I'll eventually end up playing the original Shadow Warrior.
Catacomb Apocalypse

Aside from being a bit more difficult (thanks to the increased presence of ranged enemies) than the previous Catacomb games and taking place in the future (though just an obvious reskin), there is really nothing different than the previous Catacomb games. Explore mazes by blowing up walls, fight the same kinds of spongy monsters over and over again, lose your sense of direction by the presence of the damn same environments and fight with the dated controls while you try to accomplish your goal of killing Nemesis just once more. Add to that some nasty frame rate drops when there are lots of monsters around and it can easily kill any kind of enjoyment you might have gotten out of the game.

That completes my playthrough of the full Catacombs Pack. Did I enjoy it? Not really. Did it regret playing it? No, because it satisfied my curiosity. Would I recommend it? Only if you are curious to see what a pre-Wolfenstein FPS was like, otherwise you should just ignore it altogether.

First game of February? Oh yeah.
Post edited February 18, 2015 by Grargar
STALKER series(again). Lone Survivor.

Although I hated Lone Survivors endings. None have any real resolution. Not even getting abducted by aliens >_>
Shmacky-McNuts: STALKER series(again). Lone Survivor.

Although I hated Lone Survivors endings. None have any real resolution. Not even getting abducted by aliens >_>
A game can't be compared to Silent Hill if it doesn't have a UFO ending.
Shmacky-McNuts: STALKER series(again). Lone Survivor.

omega64: A game can't be compared to Silent Hill if it doesn't have a UFO ending.
DAMN STRAIGHT! lol
Words for Evil

Whoa, I finished a game. This was a lot of fun for the first half, then, at least for me, very grindy to finish it off. Nevertheless, it provided a lot of hours of entertainment and certainly would have been worth the cost even had I not bought it on sale. Lots of heroes to unlock, and they provide some nice changes - the gameplay doesn't change at all, but the effects are different. Lots of monsters to unlock as well, though they don't really offer any change from one to the next. Some fairly laughable and bizarre definitions of words on the chest looting challenge. I'm glad I played it and I had fun, though I doubt I'll be back.
Post edited February 01, 2015 by budejovice
Austrobogulator: Well...Duke Nukem 1 and 2 were very different in tone to Duke Nukem 3D. He went from being an action hero parody to being an obnoxious asshole.

I haven't played the original Shadow Warrior yet, I've played 2013's Shadow Warrior though. At least from what I understand, they toned down the humour in the new Shadow Warrior. Chances are that I'll eventually end up playing the original Shadow Warrior.
Well humour is a matter of taste really. While DN3D often put a smile on my face with it's oneliners and easter eggs, SW had me actually laughing out loud in a few occasions ("Do want to wash Wang or do you want to watch Wang wash wang?" or "Hey babe, I got special acupuncture for you!"). IMO the overall sillyness factor is a lot higher in SW. Maybe you'll find it easier to swallow since it's more over the top.
At the same time I found the gameplay more fluent than the Duke's - I completed both on the highest difficulty short of Nightmare.

Third game to consider would be the original Blood. Also (IMO) with awesome humour which goes a little more into the morbid. But I found Blood the least playable (though still good) of the "Build engine trinity".

If you're in love with sprite based shooters you could also consider Star Wars: Dark Forces (now on GOG, yay!). My biggest gripe is the lack of saving mid-level because some of the later levels are HUGE and can take several hours to complete if you hunt for secrets. I don't know what they were thinking. But you could try an alternative DOSbox build like Daum's that supports save states - I know I will when I'll tackle that game again since I just don't have the time anymore to play for hours uninterrupted.
Finished HuniePop. Kinda ambivalent about it.

It's a perfectly reasonable Bejeweled almost-clone with some pretty pictures. That's all it ever wanted to be, so good marks there. Except that I can get pretty pictures anywhere and I want more than time-wasting puzzles in my games.

There are a lot of characters, most of which seem interesting when you first meet them. But there is zero character development in this game. No story, no endings, no conflict, nothing. I realize that HuniePop isn't trying to be a VN, but
I think the game would have greatly benefitted from some form of narrative.

The 48 CGs in the game is pretty reasonable, but 4 per character feels anemic. I think there's just too many characters, especially since none of them matter anyway.

The only "real" goal of the game is to fill out the CG gallery. You can try to fill out the information for each girl, unlock all the costumes and hairstyle, and give them all the gifts they'll accept, but since you don't get anything for it it becomes tedious busy work. There should be some kind of reward for this stuff - bonus scene/CG most likely, and it'd be perfect to tie in to story routes if those were a thing.

Basically, I think if about 4 characters were cut, with the rest of them getting a couple more CGs and at least a skeleton of a story/route this game would be great. As it is I find it to be merely okay.
Austrobogulator: Well...Duke Nukem 1 and 2 were very different in tone to Duke Nukem 3D. He went from being an action hero parody to being an obnoxious asshole.

toxicTom: If you're in love with sprite based shooters you could also consider Star Wars: Dark Forces (now on GOG, yay!). My biggest gripe is the lack of saving mid-level because some of the later levels are HUGE and can take several hours to complete if you hunt for secrets. I don't know what they were thinking. But you could try an alternative DOSbox build like Daum's that supports save states - I know I will when I'll tackle that game again since I just don't have the time anymore to play for hours uninterrupted.
Yep, Dark Forces is on my wish list. I don't think I care about Star Wars that much any more, but it seems like it could be enjoyable.

I'm in the same boat about saving. I have a habit of saving a lot in games. Although, I always feel weird using save states...unless I feel like I really have to.
I really, really, really expected to like The Samaritan Paradox, and so I'm surprised at how ambivalent I feel about it now that I've got it finished.

The game is an indie retro point-and-click set in Sweden in 1984, where young Ord Salomon is having trouble finishing his thesis in Gothenburg. Ord is recently out of a relationship; his bills are going unpaid, his plant, Herbert, is dying of neglect, and he's depressed. His best friend, Jurgen, has given him the latest bestseller by Jonatan Bergwall to try to cheer him up, and as soon as Ord opens the book to the page dedicating the story to Bergwall's daughter, he spots a cipher - codes and ciphers are his thing - which everyone else in Sweden has overlooked. Making use of a tangential clue that is lying around in his apartment, Ord - or you, rather - consults an unlikely source of information which just happens to be there, and quickly solves the cipher, which reveals a clue that starts the story rolling.

This is pretty much a microcosm of all that is wrong and right with this game. I solved the cipher on my own, and it was clever enough, but I was a little bothered by the way the puzzle was presented. Exactly every detail I needed to solve the puzzle was planted, awkwardly, in this location, waiting for me to gather everything up and make sense of it. On some level, of course, that's how point-and-click games work, but in this case the presentation was ham-fisted and forced.

Throughout the game, the clicky solutions to the various obstacles are scattered heavy-handedly, and sometimes bizarrely, in nearby drawers and closets. Some solutions are so obtuse that I ended up relying heavily on a walk-through, because whatever logic the devs were using is either native to Sweden or is a feature of a mindset that I can't penetrate. Even when I solved the most laborious of the problems, with or without help, I often felt that the solution was ridiculous, unlikely, or unfair. I probably did more than half of the heavy solving by myself, and a couple of the puzzles had really satisfying moments, but much of the problem-solving relies on information that the player simply doesn't possess in-game, which reduces the game to tedious trial-and-error-and-reload play, which means that this true believer is going to his walkthrough. Because it's just not fun.

To make it worse, the game doesn't like being ignored, and freezes and crashes when I switched screens. So in order to check the walkthrough I had to save, quit, and then restart and load on the other side.

The Samaritan Paradox is widely understood as being hard, but I don't think that's true. I think it's simply badly-designed. I get that it aspires to the old-stylee games that didn't help players along, but I don't think the mix is right. I was wondering if it was just me, so I read up a bit on the dev blog, and the designer is under the impression that the puzzles are light-hearted and irreverent. I think there's a problematic disconnect here, and that the devs really thought they were designing smart, sensible, amusing puzzles, and concealing them cleverly in the environments they had created. I don't think they have any sense of what it's like to play the game without having designed it.

And this is a shame, because the game is solid enough that I kept wanting to like it more. Alas, I was blocked at every turn. The characters, such as they are, are poorly written, and the conversation mechanic is limiting and poorly implemented - you generally know far more than you can ask, and the conversations are stilted. The translations are sometimes clunky, and combined with voice acting that is mediocre at best - the voices are pleasant, but the actors often apparently did not understand what they were reading - there is little to latch onto in a game-world that feels increasingly bland and sparse. There are some dreadful smug miscalculations, as when, in a bar, Ord tries to prove his (pseudo) intellectual superiority to some guy who is trying to pick up his cute blonde contact by dragging out a few pretentious name-dropping comments about philosophers. On its own, this would be bad enough. When the voice actor mispronounces the name of one of the philosophers and no one in QA catches it, it is simply embarrassing.

And yet, and yet. The game shoots high, and you have to like it for wanting to be better. It tells a mystery story in the main, and it also has a fantasy tale played through manuscript chapters of Bergwall's secret lost final novel, which Ord is hired to find by Bergwall's attractive, evasive daughter Sara. There's a menacing import/export company on Fardo Island, near Bergwall's working cabin, and a church which appears to be involved in some funny business. There are the disused bunkers left over from WWII. Or are they disused? There's an awful lot of plot, and much of the story is so brisk and busy that it isn't necessary to dwell on some of the crimes Ord commits in the course of his investigations.

And then suddenly, and a bit out of the blue, the game turns weighty and dark. The reveal at the end is plausible enough, but it felt mean-spirited to me, and while it makes sense of some of the quirks of a couple of the characters, it is serious enough that it pretty much knocks over the table and spills the previous chapters out onto the floor. The tonal shift is devastating, and I found Ord's response to a nasty truth to be appalling.

Add a poor interface and an excellent (and very repetitive) soundtrack, and I found the game to be a mixed bag. On the whole it is worth playing if you're a fan of adventure games, and it really represents a different voice, which is part of what I look for in indie games. On the other hand, it's a novice voice, and I don't think the game was made with players in mind. I was often frustrated.

The two games I have played this year so far.
Post edited February 01, 2015 by LinustheBold
The Blackwell Epiphany
A worthy conclusion to the great Blackwell series. Like always it was really well written and more than once I was emotionally touched by the fates of the characters (especially the one of Lia and Kendra). I think Dave Gilbert also did a great job on revealing most of the secret's of Joey's and the Blackwell family's past and answering the questions that was left by the former games.

Graphics, music, sounds and voice-over is top-notch again and so I'm pretty sure that this series will be considered as one of the classic adventure game series in the future.

Somehow it feels sad to know that there won't be any more adventures with Joey and Roseangela, but I guess it's better to end the series with such a highlight. And after all there's a small loophole left to tell more stories with at least one of the main characters.

Complete list of finished games in 2015
Might and Magic I: Secret of the Inner Sanctum

I love classic RPGs and this one was a lot of fun. The combat was thoroughly satisfying and tactical. Hope to finish more games this year from the Might and Magic series and more.