It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Walking Dead Season One

I guess now would be a good time for me to play The Cat Lady, as I don't think any game could get more depressing. :D
Titanic- Adventure Out of Time

SPOILER: It sinks.

I wonder if many people remember this one, it was a point and click adventure released in 1996 (Dos and Mac) and developed by Cyberflix who also did Dust: A Tale of the Wired West. I remember playing the demo and later finding just the disc for $3 (no box or anything) in a music shop that sold a few second hand games. I always meant to get around to it as my point and click preference is historical based mystery style games- such as Gabriel Knight and The Last Express.

Titanic bares some resemblance to The Last Express in that the ship is populated by a set of characters that fill some of the roles leading to WW1...a Russian Revolutionary, German imperialist and yourself as a British agent. There are four possible endings that define the worlds future to a negative or positive degree depending upon how many of the objectives you achieve during the game. For the most part time progresses like most point and click games, in that doing certain things triggers passing of time. But if you don't do some things at certain times it changes some solutions...for example i failed to find a certain painting before someone else. Surprisingly it did not make the best ending impossible, the game later gave me another way to achieve the same thing.
The very final part of the game IS timed, from when you hit the Iceberg. I played that section through a few times to achieve the different endings.

The ship looks good considering the mid 90's tech and is apparently quite accurate. Characters look bad from distance but switch to expressive FMV when you talk to them. The cast of characters are actually well done. It's fully voiced. The music is good for the first 20 minutes but soon gets repetitive, so i turned it off. Only real issue is the ship is very deserted due to hardware limits of the time, it's just pretty much you and the cast which detracts from the realism.
The puzzles are the best part of the game. No pixel hunting, and if you get stuck you go see Penny Pringle your fellow agent and boss who will give you her opinion of what you should look into next. Solving the game mostly involves talking to people and reading, not making ridiculous leaps of "logic",

The game was fun and was worth the day i invested, including several goes at the final sequence to see the different endings. A bit more info on the game at this fansite: https://titanicadventureoutoftime.wordpress.com/

Edit: vote for it in the wishlist : http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/titanic_adventure_out_of_time
Post edited July 27, 2015 by CMOT70
Enebias:
Thanks for the in-depth review, this cements my suspicions about the game. It looks great and it caught my attention but I don't think I'd enjoy it - for the very reasons you mentioned.

Leroux: The Walking Dead Season One

I guess now would be a good time for me to play The Cat Lady, as I don't think any game could get more depressing. :D
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is even darker than Cat Lady, at least in my opinion. I don't think there is any game that is truly darker than I Have No Mouth. There are quite a few that are more wacky, more disturbed, more insane, more scary, more violent in a gory way etc but the darkness of I Have No Mouth is in a class of its own.
awalterj: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is even darker than Cat Lady, at least in my opinion. I don't think there is any game that is truly darker than I Have No Mouth. There are quite a few that are more wacky, more disturbed, more insane, more scary, more violent in a gory way etc but the darkness of I Have No Mouth is in a class of its own.
From what I've seen it's probably not that emotionally involving though? I think what makes The Walking Dead so depressing is that it's not only exploring the horror of things and events beyond our comprehension, the dark sides of human nature, the seemingly pointlessness of it all, but that it also combines these themes with an emotional investment in the story, by making the player really care about the characters who are confronted with all of this.
Post edited July 28, 2015 by Leroux
Leroux: From what I've seen it's probably not that emotionally involving though? I think what makes The Walking Dead so depressing is that it's not only exploring the horror of things and events beyond our comprehension, the dark sides of human nature, the seemingly pointlessness of it all, but that it also combines these themes with an emotional investment in the story, by making the player really care about the characters who are confronted with all of this.
I don't get emotionally involved with games, at least not in regards to the story or events. Interactivity and metacognition break the 4th wall too much for me to feel compassion with the characters. With movies, I don't have that problem. With games, it's less about what's happening specifically and more about the overall atmosphere for me. I Have No Mouth works really well, the atmosphere is quite thick and dark from the get-go. Even if one doesn't care about the characters, the game excels at weaving a cozy nihilistic mood.
thejimz: Let me see if I can remember them all.

Anomaly Korea
NPPD Rush
Charnel House Trilogy
Defy Gravity Extended
Guacamelee
Pyrite Heart
Humanity Asset
Love at First Sight
Mark of the Ninja
Morphopolis
Never Alone
Out There Somewhere
Postmortem: One Must Die
POP: Methodology Experiment One
Richard & Alice
They Breathe
Unhack
Yury
VVVVVV

There were others, too. It's been a busy year of gaming for me.
Gotta add Face Noir to the list. Awful game. Avoid at all costs.

Also adding Agapan, which is one of the finest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Amazing on all fronts, and possibly the best use of branching narrative I've seen in a game. Sadly, it's very much underappreciated--only four reviews on Steam since its launch in May. Bought and finished Love recently as well, and that was similarly great.
The Dig. Nice to finally catch up with this one. It was too advanced for my PC at the time it was released, and by the time I got a new machine, this game was long gone. I really liked this one and feel it lives up to the Lucasarts reputation. Reading about it in retrospect is interesting. The reviews at the time often felt it was too hard but I think the puzzles were generally quite sensible. There was one that really stumped me because it involved clicking the mouse button and HOLDING IT DOWN, which I'm not accustomed to doing in games like this. Mostly, though, it's challenging but fair.

Reviewers said the graphics weren't up to the hype but I think it's a very nice-looking game, with gorgeous, evocative backgrounds. The sense of exploring an alien world and struggling to grasp its technology is strong. The crudely animated cut-scenes are more dated than the pixel art and animation. The voice acting is fine. Robert Patrick is pretty good as the main character. Steve Blum struggles with a German accent, I thought. There were times when he somehow ended up sound more like he was doing a bad Mexican accent.

The writing is odd because the plot is quite good and flows very well, but the characterization wasn't entirely credible. These three people find themselves stranded across the galaxy on an alien planet, so of course their strongest reaction is to start sniping at each other and demand to be left alone? The dialogue is usually good, but attempts at injecting Lucasarts-style humorous one-liners mostly fall flat and break the tone in a bad way.

I'd say it would make for a pretty good movie, but it's probably too dry and reliant on deliberate exploration for most film producers. If they can't get a Rendezvous With Rama movie off the ground, this one probably doesn't stand a chance.
The Last Of Us -PS4

I never got to play the game on the PS3 so I was glad when it was re-released on the PS4.

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood - Xbox One

This game was okay. I got it for free so I can't complain.
awalterj: I don't get emotionally involved with games, at least not in regards to the story or events. Interactivity and metacognition break the 4th wall too much for me to feel compassion with the characters. With movies, I don't have that problem.
But the thing is, The Walking Dead is more like a movie than a game (or rather a TV series). Only that you're required to put yourself into the shoes of the main character and make tough choices, which encourages you to think about how you and your fellow human beings would react to such drastic situations. There are some (technically rather bad) point-and-click sections that break the 4th wall somewhat, but most of the times it's interactive cutscenes that pull you in like something on the TV screen.
Pillars of Eternity

The game

PoE is exactly what you might expect: a real time with pause high-fantasy RPG heavily inspired by its predecessors.
Despite the immediately noticeable similarities with the past real time D&D adaptations for videogames, in my opinion both the character development and the combat system have been heavily revisited to better work with the media, substituting what didn't work well in the transition from tabletop RPG to software and making the whole much easier to manage (especially for newcomers, as the D&D games have always been much more forgiving for those who already knew the rulesets) while retaining a good complexity.
First of all, I particularly appreciated that this time everything is plainly exposed since the beginning: the game colors each mechanic related word in red whenever it makes an appearance, allowing you to always be able to visualize its description and explanation by moving the mouse cursor over it. This allows the players to clearly understand what they are doing, and it is a real godsend during character creation: building a reliable character at the first try is not a dream anymore, and you will not have to restart the game three or four times before finding the stat setting you need and overcome all the obscure peculiarities of each class (remember Baldur's Gate? How many of you wasted precious points without knowing that going above 16 CON was useful only for specialized combat classes?).
During the character selection screens, you will have to choose your race, background and one among the eleven classes,then assign a finite amount of points to the six different attributes, parameters that -along with levels, spells and items- will influence all the other derived statistics trough the entire course of the game and will very often unlock special conversation branches in dialogues when certain requirements are met.
Said attributes have been finally balanced to always have a real impact on the character and never represent “dump stats”: while it's always true that every class needs some attributes more than others, lowering one of the less useful to increase the most effective one is simply not an option, as the character would be so greatly weakened by this to become almost useless.
There are no arbitrary restrictions for equipment, and each character can train in the use of the instruments you think are more fitting for them. For example, mages are perfectly capable to cast spells while in full plate, hence resisting attackers while they charge their magic, yet this will come at the cost of slower actions.
The hit mechanics are easy to understand: each character has a certain accuracy value, which works universally for whatever action they are trying to accomplish; after the move starts, depending on its kind it must pass a check based on the four available types of defenses, namely deflection, will, fortitude and reflex. Once the gap between accuracy and defense values has been calculated, a dice is thrown to determine what will happen: the action may miss, work normally, have a critical effect or simply graze the target with a reduced effect based on the number you score.
In PoE, each character has both an endurance parameter and a much higher health bar; once a hit connects, half of the damage goes to one and half to the other. When characters run out of endurance, they are knocked out for the rest of the fight -unless a spell brings them back to their senses- but when their health reaches 0, they are either maimed or permanently killed.
Abilities and spells can be either uses a finite number of times per encounter or per rest; along with the health/endurance system, this serves to limit the player's resources without forcing him to rest after every single fight (as it was in Neverwinter Nights).
While playing on hard I found the combat to be always fair and satisfyingly challenging, and the game usually avoids trash mobs, concentrating instead on the quality rather than to the quantity of the encounters. Also, killing monsters does not provide experience, so in several missions you can even try to sneak your way past annoying enemies that will only tire your party before a real fight without providing any significant loot.
There is only a single exception to this, an optional boss encounter so badly designed and utterly imbalanced to feel even more unfair than special bosses in JRPGs... and apparently unbeatable without a festival of cheese running. Luckily, a part from this there is no reason to complain for the solid combat.
For what concerns the classes, I'm glad to say that Obsidian followed the same philosophy of the rest of the game, making them as varied as possible. Even if they can still be divided in the classic melee/ranged/magic department, not a single class has elements in common with another and all of them works perfectly.

Graphics, lore and sounds

Pillars of Eternity uses 3D models for characters and 2D hand drawn screens for maps.
Let's be fair: visuals of this kind couldn't get much better than this. Not only the entire game runs in 1080p (a rarity, in the non-AAA scene), but each area has its own peculiar style and it is filled with a huge amount of details; when zooming in or out, you will always notice the effort the developers put in their making.
While I would have preferred to see sprites for characters (though I can certainly understand the enormous cost of such a feature), the 3D model are still of great quality, not only showing in high detail each piece of equipment but also moving smoothly with many animations (potentially, if you have an adequate PC) running at very high FPS, finally abandoning once and for all the clunky movements of the IE games.
The soundtrack is also fitting for every situation -though a few tracks stand out more than others- and the sound effects department is varied enough to seem natural.
The narrative is centered on the concept of religion and all of its connection with “common mortals”; you start as a newcomer in the land of Dyrwood, a turbulent land known for its independence and for its proud but unruly and often unnecessarily violent inhabitants, but for unknown reasons you will soon become a Watcher, a person who can interact with lost spirits and read through the souls of people, recalling their previous lives as if they were your own... slowly risking to lose sanity in the process, confusing yourself with others and present with past. This will lead you to a journey to discover why this happened to you, how you can avoid a tragic fate and why you seem to have stumbled in a plot much bigger than you could have ever imagined.
In the beginning, the lore can be a little overwhelming: each character describes events of which you don't have the slightest idea about as if they were common knowledge, and while everything will be explained soon after you have first heard about it, the quantity of information can be so massive to leave you a bit disoriented during the first hours of play.
Regardless of this, as in every Obsidian title both the plot and the main characters are always masterfully written (even if a few companions are an inch above some others, Kana Rua, Durance and The Grieving Mother being in my opinion the best) and represent a very strong point of the whole.
Other than the major questline, there are plenty of other minor sub-quests; the majority of them is very interesting in its own right, yet unfortunately they have little to no impact over the main course of the narrative, remaining self-contained little stories separated form each others, much unlike in The Witcher series; this is certainly not a low point of the game, but it consistently lowers the replayability, as you can always see (or, at least, imagine or deduce) the effects of what you are doing in the moment you take a decision.

The bad?

Aside from a graphic engine that handles very badly crowded situations (luckily in very few areas, mostly parts of the bigger towns with the highest amount of npcs, with a major drop in the framerate), there is really nothing that could be called “bad”: PoE has great RPG mechanics, one of the the most comfortable interfaces in the genre, a good story with solid characters and probably the best looks of any 2D game to date.
As stated by the developers, the few remaining problems (namely the group stealth mode and the absence of a companion AI, forcing you to always target enemies manually) will be addressed with the upcoming patch, so they should not be counted.
Then, where could it be criticized?
In my opinion, the problem is definitely not in what PoE is, but in what it could have been.
The game is the first Obsidian developed title to be completely free by external influences, and that should have pushed the creativity of a group of people renowned for their weird stories, deconstructions of clichès and unconventional setting. Yet, we have a game as classic as it can get, with no innovation under any aspect. It is very strange to see a company that always dared to push itself as far as possible -sometimes, even charging itself with consistent risks for their gambles- suddenly turning conservative just when they are more free than ever.

Summarizing, Pillars of Eternity is an excellent game that meets and surpasses the genre's standards, leagues ahead of its sources of inspiration (the much praised Baludr's Gate 2 above all) and undoubtedly a must buy for everyone who loved the Infinity Engine games, a title combining an unmatched quality in “rtwp” RPG combat with a strong narrative... yet, it leaves a bit of bitterness when thinking of how much more it could have been, if only it dared to risk a “Mask of the Betrayer” approach.
awalterj: I don't get emotionally involved with games, at least not in regards to the story or events. Interactivity and metacognition break the 4th wall too much for me to feel compassion with the characters. With movies, I don't have that problem.
Leroux: But the thing is, The Walking Dead is more like a movie than a game (or rather a TV series). Only that you're required to put yourself into the shoes of the main character and make tough choices, which encourages you to think about how you and your fellow human beings would react to such drastic situations. There are some (technically rather bad) point-and-click sections that break the 4th wall somewhat, but most of the times it's interactive cutscenes that pull you in like something on the TV screen.
Hm, that's a good point...coming to think of it there is a chance I would get more emotionally invested in a game if it's like a movie so I might give The Walking Dead a try one day (when the game is on a super steep sale and I have a new computer (this game most likely won't run smoothly with my Intel HD graphics)
I watched some in-game footage and the quick time events strike me as silly though, I hope it's not as linear as The Wolf Among Us because if it is there is no way I'll ever buy anything of that nature. I watched the first and second episode of The Wolf Among Us on Youtube and even though the story isn't bad, the gameplay seemed entirely pointless. Choices didn't appear to matter at all. I watched different videos where the player make different choices but the game is so linear that choices are rather cosmetic and mostly just change attitudes of NPCs and their dialogue lines but the events stay pretty much the same . If it comes down to that, I'd rather just watch it on Youtube like a movie and forget about its attempt to be an interactive game.
In a traditional point & click, linearity isn't a problem imho because the puzzles make up for it. I want loads and loads of inventory puzzles. Rubber ducky style! <-- best puzzle in The Longest Journey, it was all downhill after that (only if inventory puzzles are a priority, that is)
Post edited July 28, 2015 by awalterj
awalterj: Hm, that's a good point...coming to think of it there is a chance I would get more emotionally invested in a game if it's like a movie so I might give The Walking Dead a try one day
Well, watching gameplay footage on Youtube isn't the same as playing a game yourself, but if you don't like The Wolf Among Us, you probably won't like The Walking Dead either, they're fairly similar in their design. You'd have to accept them for what they are and overlook their flaws to enjoy them. Because, yes, they're very linear (like a movie), the QTEs are stupid, and most of the choices turn out to be illusionary. Personally I don't really mind the last point though, as I don't like replaying games anyway, so it's enough to play through the story once but I still have influence over my own as well as the NPCs attitudes and dialogue lines. Seeing that the 'game' is more of a movie than a challenge and that it's really only about immersion into the story, the attitudes and dialogue lines actually play a major role in how you experience the story. But of course that only works if you can get immersed into the story and emotionally involved with the characters.

I don't know if you play RPGs, but as for myself I actually appreciate it much more if those give me lots of 'cosmetic' dialogue options on how to comment on events, so I can roleplay my character according to my idea of him or her, as opposed to those that give me lots of choices that completely alter the game and make me miss out on a lot of stuff in my playthrough, but at the same time always put silly words in the mouth of my character (which to me breaks the 4th wall, too, unless I'm playing a pre-defined personality like Geralt). I'm fine with illusionary choices as long as they're done well enough to make me feel that they matter, even if they don't. And I think they actually do matter; just in a different way. It's not all about the plot, but about the story-telling; the tone, the little details that make the story feel more personal. The plot of the Walking Dead isn't all that great, it's more the interactions between the characters that stand out.
Defender's Quest
GOG

I think this might be the first tower defense game I've played? Certainly I can't compare it intelligently to other games in the genre. I played it in relatively short bursts, and found it to be an enjoyable diversion when I got burned out on other things. The characters are fun, the plot is relatively engaging, some of the levels are interestingly designed. It did run into a balancing problem, where I could basically destroy a level on normal difficulty, then get destroyed back on the next higher difficulty level. And because of the RPG mechanics, I could never be sure if I was under-leveled and underpowered, or had speced out my characters poorly, or just sucked at the game. I ended up beating the game fighting all of the later battles on normal difficulty; earlier in the game I'd been diligent to get perfect victories on the highest difficulty level, but I couldn't see continuing to do that without much grinding.

I don't particularly want to jump straight into New Game+, but I suppose it will continue to be an enjoyable diversion for a while yet.
Killer is Dead,another hidden gem made by cult game designer Suda51.
As always,it ends and you're like "wait,what?".
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (original version). What's up with GOG using ScummVM for this instead of DOSBox? Makes it more of a pain to get the aspect ratio right. Anyway, like many of Sierra's early games, this is fairly simple but it holds up fine. It's quite funny and refreshingly crass compared to even many games today. Biggest downside to me is the padding out of the game length by forcing you to gamble in a couple of parts.