It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

snowkatt: saints row 3
i spend 6 years on saints row 2 it took me 3 days to finish 3 when i finally got past that damn guardian angel mission

playing 4 now
Just powering through the series now? Are you playing any of the DLCs from Saints Row: The Third or IV? I really liked Saints Row: IV but I only remember a few of the missions and despite the new gimmicks, I haven't really played it after finishing the main story. To be fair I don't remember a ton of missions from Saints Row: The Third, but I do remember more of them, and I remember most of the story and a lot of the character interactions.
snowkatt: saints row 3
i spend 6 years on saints row 2 it took me 3 days to finish 3 when i finally got past that damn guardian angel mission

playing 4 now
NoNewTaleToTell: Just powering through the series now? Are you playing any of the DLCs from Saints Row: The Third or IV? I really liked Saints Row: IV but I only remember a few of the missions and despite the new gimmicks, I haven't really played it after finishing the main story. To be fair I don't remember a ton of missions from Saints Row: The Third, but I do remember more of them, and I remember most of the story and a lot of the character interactions.
pretty much
saints row 4 feels like an extension of saints row 3

i like the super powers it feels like a more insane less seriosu version of prototype but ima bit iffy about the whoel matrix thing and what happend to earth

then again look at hitchikers guide to the galaxy

my saints row 4 version is the game of the century edition so all the dlc crap is included
wether i will be playing certain thing is another question

i thought saints row 3 was alternatley brilliant and annoying at the same time
brilliant in how it improves on 2 and all the things it does right

annoying in how it just piles up enemies on you so much so its ridicilous and unfair
NoNewTaleToTell: Just powering through the series now? Are you playing any of the DLCs from Saints Row: The Third or IV? I really liked Saints Row: IV but I only remember a few of the missions and despite the new gimmicks, I haven't really played it after finishing the main story. To be fair I don't remember a ton of missions from Saints Row: The Third, but I do remember more of them, and I remember most of the story and a lot of the character interactions.
snowkatt: pretty much
saints row 4 feels like an extension of saints row 3

i like the super powers it feels like a more insane less seriosu version of prototype but ima bit iffy about the whoel matrix thing and what happend to earth

then again look at hitchikers guide to the galaxy

my saints row 4 version is the game of the century edition so all the dlc crap is included
wether i will be playing certain thing is another question

i thought saints row 3 was alternatley brilliant and annoying at the same time
brilliant in how it improves on 2 and all the things it does right

annoying in how it just piles up enemies on you so much so its ridicilous and unfair
The DLC for both Saints Row: The Third and IV is pretty good, I think IV has the better mission DLC though.

The Saints Row series in general loves throwing hoards of enemies at you but I don't know, I've never particularly felt underpowered on in any real danger in any of them (except when I'm fire, man I hate fire in this series). Some of the later enemies in IV just feel unfair though.
im mostly used to saints row 2 where eventually the tide of enemeies stops ( usually when you kill all the lieutenants )
in 3 they just keep on coming and coming and coming eventually with even more ordinance

it gets frustrating

im not that far in to 4 yet been mostly playing around with my super powers
PaterAlf: Tetrobot & Co.
I like that game, a lot. But I already got stuck in the fifth level where the 3rd golden block seems impossible to collect. I don't want to look up a walkthrough so I'm sheer out of luck. I so frustrate!! This game is supposed to make me smarter, not make me feel dumb for getting stuck so early on. I'm aware of the fact that you can progress without collecting all the golden blocks but I want to figure out everything. And I mean EVERYTHING in a Norman Stansfield way!
awalterj: I like that game, a lot. But I already got stuck in the fifth level where the 3rd golden block seems impossible to collect. I don't want to look up a walkthrough so I'm sheer out of luck. I so frustrate!! This game is supposed to make me smarter, not make me feel dumb for getting stuck so early on. I'm aware of the fact that you can progress without collecting all the golden blocks but I want to figure out everything. And I mean EVERYTHING in a Norman Stansfield way!
My suggestion is to leave that level for now and go on to the next one. You can return to it later. While playing you will learn a lot about how the puzzles actually work. I left out many memory blocks at first (tried to get at least one in every level) and when I finally tried to reach 100% and came back to the earlier levels, I was suddenly able to find the solution for most of the puzzles.

Must admit that I had to use a walkthrough for some of the most complicated ones though. I think without one my maximum score would have been something around 92%.
PaterAlf: My suggestion is to leave that level for now and go on to the next one. You can return to it later. While playing you will learn a lot about how the puzzles actually work. I left out many memory blocks at first (tried to get at least one in every level) and when I finally tried to reach 100% and came back to the earlier levels, I was suddenly able to find the solution for most of the puzzles.

Must admit that I had to use a walkthrough for some of the most complicated ones though. I think without one my maximum score would have been something around 92%.
Good advice, finishing the general game and completing everything 100% later is precisely what I should do. I just can't accept the fact that I'm not able to figure this out, it just nags me.
It's probably some cheesy game mechanics detail that I'm unaware of.
PaterAlf: My suggestion is to leave that level for now and go on to the next one. You can return to it later. While playing you will learn a lot about how the puzzles actually work. I left out many memory blocks at first (tried to get at least one in every level) and when I finally tried to reach 100% and came back to the earlier levels, I was suddenly able to find the solution for most of the puzzles.

awalterj: Good advice, finishing the general game and completing everything 100% later is precisely what I should do. I just can't accept the fact that I'm not able to figure this out, it just nags me.
how do you consider a gaem finished though ?

i tend to consider a gaem finished when i have seen the ending and saw the credits
i generally dont care about extra missions or achievements
the moment i see the credits the game is finished for me

course some games are impossible to finish racing games beat em ups the sims 2 sim city
awalterj: Good advice, finishing the general game and completing everything 100% later is precisely what I should do. I just can't accept the fact that I'm not able to figure this out, it just nags me.
I just looked up the level and it was one of the blocks that I didn't get on my first playthrough as well (when I returned to it later, it wasn't a big problem). But once you know what to do it's completely obvious and you will ask yourself why you didn't see that solution right from the beginning. No crazy trick, just something you might not think of at first.

Shall I tell you how to start?
snowkatt: how do you consider a gaem finished though ?

i tend to consider a gaem finished when i have seen the ending and saw the credits
i generally dont care about extra missions or achievements
the moment i see the credits the game is finished for me
That's pretty much my definition as well. A game is finished when I saw the ending and the credits (no matter on which difficulty). But there are some games that I like very much and so I will keep on playing to get all archievments or a perfect score or to complete bonus levels. Tetrobot & Co. was one of them. Besides that I also expected an alternative ending for reaching 100%.
Post edited November 26, 2014 by PaterAlf
^i have so many games to play that generally i ignore an alternative ending ( unless i really really like the game )
and just move to the next one
EDIT: The classic version of the game is included as bonus content, this review is for the remastered version only

Subjective angry review for Crimsonland - remastered version:

I wanted a simple and fun action shooter for in between, something you can enjoy for a couple minutes to blow off some steam. Something with simple and smooth controls and lots of weapons and perks and upgrades. Something where it's fun to come back and try to beat your own high scores.

Crimsonland is all that except that it's not fun.

It's fun at first but it soon starts feeling stale, repetitive and unfair. Your character walks painstakingly slow like a grandma and even with speedy walk upgrades and even in the faster paced Blitz survival mode you can hardly escape the hordes of enemies that are programmed to encircle you in a mathematically evil way, you can only pray for a shield upgrade to appear at just the right time or a nuke that clears a part of the screen but upgrades appear randomly so it's mostly about luck. As for perks, you can't use them in campaign mode. You only unlock them here so if you buy the game for survival mode and don't want to play the missions, you're out of luck as you must finish the entire campaign to unlock all the perks.
That was different in the original, no idea why they changed something that worked. Don't change a working system!

There's no A.I. to speak of. Monsters just pan out to clusterf*ck-gangbang you and they all behave the same way, only difference is that they have different speeds and HP and damage output. All the maps are as flat as the chests of the audience in a Take That concert and there are zero obstacles in the terrain that you could use, no rivers or hills or buildings. The only tactical choices you have is which guy do I shoot first and how do I eliminate the nests in the fastest way and which of the randomly appearing upgrades do I grab. Nests spew an endless amount of enemies so you must take them out. In survival mode, those nests appear randomly and if it's off-screen you will often not spot them until they already spawned too many monsters for you to possibly take out.

Sounds like a lot of options but the tactical variety here is about the same as the last mission in Duke3D which was one big arena with non stop shooting. For one mission that was fun. For an entire game, it's not such fun. But Serious Sam was fun, you say. Yes, but in Serious Sam your skill actually matters. Unlike Crimsonland where you restart the mission until you finally get the right weapon. Usually, the first or second enemy drops the first weapon and then you are dependent on sheer luck for the right upgrades to save your sorry ass. I played survival mode many times but got completely different scores each time and the inconsistency wasn't in my skill level but in the amount of luck I had.

I finished the game on normal but when I tried the game on hardcore which is the second of 3 difficulties, I got completely and absolutely stuck in mission 20 (=mission 10 of chapter 2). I'm a calm guy but I rage-quit the game, this isn't challenging it's just a pain in the ass. I didn't review the game here earlier because I'd only go into negative rant mode and I wanted to calm down before reviewing it but my sentiment hasn't changed and I decided to give up on completing the campaign on all 3 difficulties.
I've played the game for more than 10 hours total and tried all 5 survival modes and tried to unlock some achievements but half the achievements are as I said, retarded.
Of course, some people like that insufferable stuff and they'll tell me that I simply suck at the game and that it isn't that hard and that they play on grim difficulty and got all the achievements etc etc, well I say to those people: Good for you, I'm sure you enjoyed collecting 50 blowtorches and I'm sure you enjoyed beating all missions on normal without losing a single health point! (seriously, that is one of the achievements)
If it had anything to do with skill, I would understand but this game is aggravating. Too much depends on luck and the god of random, both in the campaign and in the 5 survival modes. If you don't get the exact right weapon which is usually either the rocket launcher or plasma cannon, then you're royally f*cked. My personal favorite weapon is the gauss shotgun.
The designers had the common sense to give you the regular gauss gun by default in one level where it's absolutely crucial as waves of enemies appear in a straight line and only the gauss rifle takes care of that in a clean way. In the other levels and in the survival mode, it's 100% random luck.
The final mission of the campaign seems to be only beatable with the rocket launcher, even on normal difficulty. Every other weapon either reloads too slowly or doesn't pack enough punch.

One word of advice: If you are an arachnophobiac, stay the hell away from this game. I like spiders but the spiders in this game are such annoying f*cknuggets that you'll most likely start yelling out loudly and wake up whoever lives with you. If you live alone, your yelling will probably wake the neighbors and youl'll be evicted from your apartment. If it's your house, someone will probably call the cops on you.

One thing is positive though, if you want to kill a lot of things then this game does deliver, I killed 999 monsters in the final mission alone and that's just on normal difficulty, here's a screencap:
Attachments:
Post edited December 22, 2014 by awalterj
PaterAlf: I just looked up the level and it was one of the blocks that I didn't get on my first playthrough as well (when I returned to it later, it wasn't a big problem). But once you know what to do it's completely obvious and you will ask yourself why you didn't see that solution right from the beginning. No crazy trick, just something you might not think of at first.

Shall I tell you how to start?
Thanks for the kind offer but if I can't figure this one out without hints, I shall feel eternally stupid so please no help. The suffering will be even worse than being stuck. I'll just skip this puzzle for now and see if I can solve it later. Maybe I'll switch to playing Blocks That Matter, installed that one as well but haven't played it yet. I thought the indie puzzler was one of the best offerings of the recent sale, such a great deal. Very curious about Mousecraft and Clarc, Q.U.B.E. looks very interesting as well.
awalterj: ...Blocks That Matter, installed that one as well but haven't played it yet..
Just a warning about Block That Matters: In that game it's not possible to get all BTMs or Stars for a level right from the beginning. So don't even try. You have to return to the levels once Tetrobot has the right upgrades.

And yes, the Indie Puzzlers bundle was one of the best ones in the whole Fall sale. Absolutely amazing deal. Looking forward to play Mousecraft.
MIND: Path to Thalamus

It's one of those indie games that tries to be artistic. In the end it's quite enjoyable but IMHO the game tries to be artistic a little bit too much. But OK, let's start from the beginning: the visuals are beautiful and mesmerizing, I really loved that part. You progress by solving puzzles. They are rather abstract, usually you have to find a node, pick it up and place it somewhere where it will change the landscape - turn a day into a night, move some bridges etc. At the beginning it fits rather nicely to the visuals but after a time it become slightly repetitive. And it's entirely possible to solve a puzzle accidentally, even in later chapters. You just want to test how a node can alert the landscape so that you can figure out a solution later and boom! You've just solve the puzzle without knowing what you are doing. The game is linear and solving puzzles trigger main character's monologues... and that part was overdone... sometimes he was saying such a weird things that I started to wonder whether he would finally comment "I'm in a video game, woot!". Seriously, it was destroying the atmosphere of the game. And another thing is that in case of art creation is as important as interpretation but the latter should be left for the audience. In case of MIND the game tries too much and doesn't let you interpret the story. It tries very hard to teach you a lesson of life and it's not the best way to do it. Nevertheless playing this game was an enjoyable experience.

Full list
Quest For Infamy

I just finished it and i enjoyed it a lot. :)

I was very skeptical about this game but after playing a bit i got hooked and had fun playing through it. If you like adventures you should give it a try.