It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

fronzelneekburm: Something that barely anyone touched upon: Isn't it amazing how every single time gog is handed a rare opportunity that would give them the upper hand over their competitors on a silver platter, they go ahead and find a way to fuck it up?

Similar thing happened with Hatred. Some Valve employee kicked the game from the storefront, devs said "Fuck it, we'll release on gog!" For a brief moment, gog were the heroes and Steam looked like censorious assholes. Then gog chickened out while Gaben himself welcomed the game back on Steam, which reversed the situation and made Steam look like heroes and gog like utter cowards. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory truly is the gog way.
Actually, I would count this as a GOG victory. I haven't played the game, but judging from half a trailer (the most I could stomach), I would say that GOG's sometimes questionable curation worked just fine in the case of Hatred.
Post edited January 19, 2021 by mrkgnao
Hatred and IS Defense should be here. It's not like anyone that objects to those games would be required to buy them.
fronzelneekburm: Something that barely anyone touched upon: Isn't it amazing how every single time gog is handed a rare opportunity that would give them the upper hand over their competitors on a silver platter, they go ahead and find a way to fuck it up?

Similar thing happened with Hatred. Some Valve employee kicked the game from the storefront, devs said "Fuck it, we'll release on gog!" For a brief moment, gog were the heroes and Steam looked like censorious assholes. Then gog chickened out while Gaben himself welcomed the game back on Steam, which reversed the situation and made Steam look like heroes and gog like utter cowards. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory truly is the gog way.
mrkgnao: Actually, I would count this as a GOG victory. I haven't played the game, but judging from half a trailer (the most I could stomach), I would say that GOG's sometimes questionable curation worked just fine in the case of Hatred.
it did. I have it and have played it. It is not very good, and there are still bugs which have not been fixed. The gameplay is quite tedious, when you have seen one stage you have seen them all. The grey colour schme gets oldand grating after 10 minutes, and you get sick of the same kill animations after you have seen the same one over and over and over agan after the N'th time. The story (or lack thereof) is pure juvenile nihilistic nonsens.

It is a shame, as the engine itself (with a little bit more work) is actually quite interesting, with the amount of detail and environemntal distruction it is capable of. I always feel that some decent developers should buy it and make a good game out of it. But if you want a top down shooter, then I would recomend something like the Shooter games or Postal, at least it has some humor. The only reason I can see for playing Hatred is to think "oh, i am so edgy!!! Take that SJW's!!11!"

(I don't like that game at all)
Hey did GOG make a statement about why they support Chinese oppression yet?
Kashou: Hey did GOG make a statement about why they support Chinese oppression yet?
Nope. They've been giving us the silent treatment.
B1tF1ghter: Well I guess the museum case is all about risk assessment of POTENTIAL publicity.
I am not going to call out if people picking these "places to censor" are idiots or if they can just afford to throw money at their desires indefinitely. But I guess since these days museums are frequented mostly by foreign tourists in most cases (I think this applies to any given country's museums, tho if I'm wrong feel free to correct me) there is a possibility for "wide area chain reaction" even in a small facility out of pure statistical chance (unlikely but possible, by chain reaction I mean a bunch of foreigners from different countries coming to same "undesired" conclusions and then spreading these in their home countries and then you get the chain continuing, I think you should get the idea).
Dalswyn: Without foreign tourists, french museums would either go belly up or tighten up their belt by a couple of notches. But unless you're the Louvre, asian tourists have little to no impact. The United Kingdom leaving the EU will have more of an effect, but that will still be manageable.
Yeah, I don't know. I currently reside in europe and it already sucks profoundly because after brexit many (all?) EU (I mean EUROPEAN UNION, not neccesarily europe, not sure if Switzerland did too or not) countries introduced taxes for packages from UK.
And it sucks because in europe UK is THE country that gets things like "international english" anime releases as well as manga translations and such.

Dalswyn: As for a chain reaction, the PRC doesn't have enough soft power to spread that abroad, and as I've said, they don't weigh enough to make any sizeable difference whatsoever outside Paris.
I actually meant chain reaction on foregin tourists part.
Like, whatever may be conclusions of those tourists undesirable FOR CN * gov and may be chain-shared by them in their home countries.

* Since "somebody in another thread" TRIED to shame me for using CH (DOMAIN code for Switzerland, but could as well be common abbreviation for CHINA) I used CN this time (even tho both in this thread and that thread it is pretty clear I meant CHINA by it all along).

Dalswyn: Which leads to an interesting question: how large is the PRC's share in Gog's revenues?
I'm not sure if you will ever get an answer to that. Tho it is worth investigating if possible.

amok: top down shooter
I would personally recommend Hotline Miami series ;)

edit: added missing word
Post edited January 19, 2021 by B1tF1ghter
mrkgnao: Actually, I would count this as a GOG victory. I haven't played the game, but judging from half a trailer (the most I could stomach), I would say that GOG's sometimes questionable curation worked just fine in the case of Hatred.
Strongly disagree. So you didn't like the trailer. That's ok. That just means that Hatred is not for you. There were a lot of people who were/are interested in that game, though.

If someone wouldn't want gog to release Leisure Suit Larry because they dislike nudity in games, does that mean that gog curation should pass on these games? I'm not a huge fan of strategy games because they bore me to tears. That doesn't mean I'd want gog to start rejecting strategy games.

Hatred may not be for everyone, but it's far from bad enough to warrant being refused by a struggling outlet like gog.
fronzelneekburm: Strongly disagree. So you didn't like the trailer. That's ok. That just means that Hatred is not for you. There were a lot of people who were/are interested in that game, though.

If someone wouldn't want gog to release Leisure Suit Larry because they dislike nudity in games, does that mean that gog curation should pass on these games? I'm not a huge fan of strategy games because they bore me to tears. That doesn't mean I'd want gog to start rejecting strategy games.

Hatred may not be for everyone, but it's far from bad enough to warrant being refused by a struggling outlet like gog.
I don't think there's any game out there that nobody is interested in. If that were GOG's criterion, they wouldn't have any curation. I, for one, believe in curation, so I'm willing to live with the fact that GOG will not bring some of the games I'm interested in. I don't see it as GOG's shortcoming. Instead, I'm grateful of the thousands of games that are not here.
mrkgnao: I, for one, believe in curation, so I'm willing to live with the fact that GOG will not bring some of the games I'm interested in. I don't see it as GOG's shortcoming. Instead, I'm grateful of the thousands of games that are not here.
Strongly disagree on that as well. I like being able to choose my own entertainment, rather than have other people choose my entertainment for me.

I dislike gog's overzealous curation for two main reasons:
a) Good games end up being refused for bogus reasons
b) It lures you into a sense of false security because crap games like Hello Neighbor, SOF Payback or the XIII remake still get accepted. These additions are VERY hard to justify if you pride yourself on curation. Same goes with the lack of updates with certain games: If you pride yourself on being a curated store with a very limited selection of games, it kind of becomes inexcusable when this limited selection isn't kept up-to-date.

Personally, I'd rather have curation in the way of stuff getting featured on the front page, rather than games getting added or rejected based on very nebulous reasons.

Speaking of curation: In the case of Devotion, how could gog not realise until the very last minute that they might be getting into some hot water with this title?
Look who's back! (In the fold, that is) As expected, Jack Ma has been "studying and thinking" and now proclaims that "Working hard for rural revitalisation and common prosperity is the responsibility for our generation of businessmen.” Heartfelt, moving, spontaneous words, truly...
Post edited January 20, 2021 by Dalswyn
Heyhey, whaddya know...

Not only are Chinese sensibilities now the deciding factor in which games the rest of the world gets to play, not only can our Chinese betters shitpost in the Chinese language subforum to their hearts content without fear of reprecussions from overzealous moderators (take this post for instance), now gog is doing China-exclusive giveaways as well.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general_zh/gogcom_shuniansuimoganenhuikuihuodongxiangqing

You guys might want to create a Weibo account for yourselves. You know, to level the playing field for gog's international customers (and maybe to show some... devotion to gog's Weibo wall).
Post edited January 20, 2021 by fronzelneekburm
fronzelneekburm: Heyhey, whaddya know...

Not only are Chinese sensibilities now the deciding factor in which games the rest of the world gets to play, not only can our Chinese betters shitpost in the Chinese language subforum to their hearts content without fear of reprecussions from overzealous moderators (take this post for instance), now gog is doing China-exclusive giveaways as well.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general_zh/gogcom_shuniansuimoganenhuikuihuodongxiangqing

You guys might want to create a Weibo account for yourselves. You know, to level the playing field for gog's international customers (and maybe to show some... devotion to gog's Weibo wall).
Assuming Google's Chinese isn't too rusty, this is not only China-exclusive, but also Galaxy-exclusive. Right?
Post edited January 21, 2021 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: Assuming Google's Chinese isn't too rusty, this is not only China-exclusive, but also Galaxy-exclusive. Right?
*Barf*

The boycott rolls on ...
Speaking of Galaxy, this is the official gog Galaxy Twitter account: https://twitter.com/goggalaxy

It would seem that this is where all of gog's kool marketing people hang out these days (who can blame them, Galaxy is their pride and joy). Be sure to them to know about your wish to release Devotion!
fronzelneekburm: Heyhey, whaddya know...

As for the "racially inferior poles should be killed" post, I already mentioned it about ten days ago, and it's set to be yet untouched ten days from now...

I'm actually not concerned about that particular giveaway. There have been giveaways here that were linked to you posting something on Twitter, Facebook, you name it... That one is on Weibo, so it's pretty much only relevant to the PRC and the chinese diaspora. Weibo... I'm not touching that with a five-meter pole...

Still no response from the blues. Meanwhile, in Gog's HQ, someone is channeling their inner Lo Wang.