It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

clarry: You say I'm too focused on it, and continue another full post going on about the logo.

Yawn. Yes, there is bias, yes it sucks, yes there are counterexamples of games that do mention GOG somewhere. None of this justifies on picking on this one particular dev given that countless other games have the same "fate" of not ever mentioning GOG anywhere in promotional materials. That was never a major problem for the users and also doesn't explain why the game is selling poorly here; plenty of games sell just fine despite lack of a mention of GOG.

Can we actually talk about something relevant for once? If not, let's just move on.
It isn't a full posting about the logo. If you have this impression than you haven't fully understood what I have written. In the first post I linked the website of the publisher for the game here:
https://hitcents.com/games/get-to-the-orange-door
PC/Steam - Buy Now
This website never had any other version according to the Internet Archive.

I mentioned it is a part of the problem and it is not THE problem.

You dismiss this entirely because "plenty" games have good sales numbers and GOG isn't mentioned on the official channels of these games.

I have heard or read several times something like "What? This game is also released on GOG? I didn't know that."
Post edited February 20, 2023 by toma85
Son_Ovagun: Howdy everyone, I thought i'd help ease things on whats happening with orange door, both as dev tester and supporter, and friend of Andrew.

Q: Why is the game being delisted from GOG?
A: It's been said on the record that, quote "GOG is a hassle to push updates for, theres little to no communication, no workshop support for modding in the future and generally not a good enviroment for a game still in early access". It was also initially not even added onto GOG by him, but by his publishers.

Q: Am I being scammed? Whats going to happen with my copy?
A: If you have a copy of orange door on GOG, you are entitled to a free steam key, simply contact either Andrew#3004 or any of the moderators in the discord.

Q: Dev seems like a douchebag, why is that?
A: Context is everything, and Andrew has an extremely satirical and sarcastic attitude. He will almost instantly apologise if he came across with any malintent. It's also worth noting that GTTOD started development in 2015, gone through numerous overhauls and had a small mental breakdown when 'The Excessive Update' released to negative reviews. This isn't at all an excuse to excuse his behaviour, but it is worth noting.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask me and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.
Reading the message in your screenshot really underscores that the problem is with Andrew, not GOG. Every other developer is capable of uploading new versions, so the fact that he can't is more likely due to "I don't like GOG" rather than "I can't figure out how to upload". As someone else pointed out, it seems like the negative reviews on GOG are the real reason and the rest is unspecific rationalization with a hint of cognitive dissonance.

I have personally been noticing that reviews on GOG are far more honest than reviews on Steam. GOG players have a higher standard of expectations and don't like to be spoonfed. So if you have an artificially high rating on Steam, and a low rating on GOG, deleting the game from GOG won't exactly fix the root cause.
clarry: You say I'm too focused on it, and continue another full post going on about the logo.

Yawn. Yes, there is bias, yes it sucks, yes there are counterexamples of games that do mention GOG somewhere. None of this justifies on picking on this one particular dev given that countless other games have the same "fate" of not ever mentioning GOG anywhere in promotional materials. That was never a major problem for the users and also doesn't explain why the game is selling poorly here; plenty of games sell just fine despite lack of a mention of GOG.

Can we actually talk about something relevant for once? If not, let's just move on.
toma85: It isn't a full posting about the logo. If you have this impression than you haven't fully understood what I have written. In the first post I linked the website of the publisher for the game here:
https://hitcents.com/games/get-to-the-orange-door
PC/Steam - Buy Now
This website never had any other version according to the Internet Archive.

I mentioned it is a part of the problem and it is not THE problem.

You dismiss this entirely because "plenty" games have good sales numbers and GOG isn't mentioned on the official channels of these games.

I have heard or read several times something like "What? This game is also released on GOG? I didn't know that."
Hence my comment. Quite frankly if not for this delisting thread I doubt a lot of people here would even know this game was on GOG.
Oh and Skyrim and others of the like don't count because they're big and GOG knows people want said game so they got a big, honking front page ad for it.

edit: I caught the 8-Bit Adventures bit and have now added the game to the wishlist. I like most of the aesthetics though I admit I would prefer a little more detailed look on the monsters. The sequel overall though looks fantastic.
Post edited February 20, 2023 by Sarang
lupineshadow: A search on the Wayback Machine suggests the game was never tagged as such.
Good catch. The release post noted it as in development and the last post mentions that the actual game page wasn't marked as in development. I guess that wasn't fixed. Looking at this page (last question) it seems this particular issue was GOG's fault. But since the news post was marked as in development and likely many people purchased it based on that GOG can't really hide behind "it wasn't marked as in development" to refuse refunds. But yeah, I guess not everyone would have seen the news post and that could have potentially contributed to the bad reviews and lack of good reviews.
DD & Ji Ji: Blacklisting both the developer and publisher .
I completely agree with blacklisting the dev, but why the publisher too?

According to the developer himself, the only reason this game was brought to Gog was because the publisher not just proposed it but insisted after the dev whined against Gog for no reason at all.
Post edited February 25, 2023 by joppo
Why punish the developer for something the publisher did? It sucks that he didn't want the game here and that it was removed but the publisher caused the problem.
DoomSooth: Why punish the developer for something the publisher did? It sucks that he didn't want the game here and that it was removed but the publisher caused the problem.
Well, for those of us who don't use Steam, the dev is punishing himself. I'm not boycotting the dev, but I won't buy it from Steam since a Steam version just isn't something I'm interested in.

If the dev just has a specific problem with the way GOG works, the "right thing to do" would be to put it out on a different DRM-free store and offer keys for that to the abandoned GOG customers. I think itch is probably the best fit, but it's up to the dev.

Of course, it may be that the real issue with GOG was simply that it wasn't Steam, in which case the dev may have the same issues with any store that isn't Steam.
Post edited February 25, 2023 by my name is catte
I'd like it to be DRM-free but it should be the developer's choice. Like so many others, he probably just doesn't expect to see any money from a DRM-free release. Steam is where most of the money is, unfortunately, because people would rather have all of their... everything in one place. To them, convenience is more important than freedom. I imagine some of them don't want offline installers because they just don't care to take the time to back things up or maintain them.

Maybe they'll change their minds, someday, when they lose access to something that was important to them.
my name is catte: Well, for those of us who don't use Steam, the dev is punishing himself. I'm not boycotting the dev, but I won't buy it from Steam since a Steam version just isn't something I'm interested in.

If the dev just has a specific problem with the way GOG works, the "right thing to do" would be to put it out on a different DRM-free store and offer keys for that to the abandoned GOG customers. I think itch is probably the best fit, but it's up to the dev.

Of course, it may be that the real issue with GOG was simply that it wasn't Steam, in which case the dev may have the same issues with any store that isn't Steam.
Well, considering the dev's first knock on GOG was lack of Steam Community and Steamworks walled garden, he comes off as a no Steam, no buy kind of chap. Which is a real shame since that's the first time I've seen the Steam community mentioned as a positive, and Steamworks mod shop is terrible for gamers as a whole.
DoomSooth: I'd like it to be DRM-free but it should be the developer's choice. Like so many others, he probably just doesn't expect to see any money from a DRM-free release. Steam is where most of the money is, unfortunately, because people would rather have all of their... everything in one place. To them, convenience is more important than freedom. I imagine some of them don't want offline installers because they just don't care to take the time to back things up or maintain them.

Maybe they'll change their minds, someday, when they lose access to something that was important to them.
Right, but my point is that if the developer chooses not to release on a DRM-free store then they are the ones "punishing" themselves. Me not wanting to buy the game on Steam isn't a boycott, it's the dev simply not catering to people who don't use Steam. They're not being punished, they've just made a decision on the release. I'm sure the people here are a drop in the ocean anyway, so self-imposed or not, I doubt the punishment is noticeable.
paladin181: Well, considering the dev's first knock on GOG was lack of Steam Community and Steamworks walled garden, he comes off as a no Steam, no buy kind of chap. Which is a real shame since that's the first time I've seen the Steam community mentioned as a positive, and Steamworks mod shop is terrible for gamers as a whole.
Definitely. They even said in one of those screenshots that they don't understand why someone wouldn't use Steam. Not caring is one thing, but if they can't understand (or can't be bothered to understand) then they are likely a lost cause.
Post edited February 25, 2023 by my name is catte
Sarang: Hence my comment. Quite frankly if not for this delisting thread I doubt a lot of people here would even know this game was on GOG.
That's certainly true in my case. I only bought it due to this forum post lol. I try, but don't always succeed in time, to buy all games that are about to be delisted.

This has also gone on for 4 pages already. Usually delisting posts don't go on for so long. The developer should consider this free publicity and re-release the game on GOG lol. At least when it's finished.
Post edited February 25, 2023 by SargonAelther
high rated
Such an interesting discussion and I am way late to the party.
Since so many has been said already I make it short.

Imo the dev made the right call delisting the game here. I also think he never should have been here in the first place and I really hope that he will not return. We have enough of those black sheep who first don't update their game and then start to cry and blame it all on others and pull the plug ... not before taking the money from GOGers of course. Since the game apparantly did not sell well here - which of course is all GOGs fault - the dev should simply have offered EVERYBODY who already purchased this unfinished product a refund (no, not a Steam key) which should not be that hard since the amount of sold copys did not even warrant updates here on GOG. Not a single argument I read from this dev is one I would accept for all the whining he did on his discord.

I am in contact with several indie devs (mostly because of my free translation works in the past) and all are glad to be on GOG ... and all were able to update GOG and when I asked them if it really is so difficult to work with GOG in most cases I get the response that the guys on GOG are all nice and that it is not so hard to update your game at all. So I am pretty sure that the devs main problem is with either his publishers (which he chose himself and with whom he signed a contract ... nobody has forced him to be on GOG against his will!) or with himself. If so many indie devs would want to get away from GOG why are there several that even bring future games on GOG as well? Don't they learn? Are they masochists? Or is it simply the case because this dev does not know what he is talking about?

I am glad we still have so many good and worthy devs. Fabrice from COWCATgames i.e. has worked 6 years on his game "Brok The InvestiGator" and has supported GOG since start with every single update. He is here in the forums and even posts his own changelogs (yes, that is how you can tell people what changed - it is not rocket science). For those that wants it the game has fully functioning Galaxy Achievements as well but of course it also works perfectly fine without Galaxy as well. Just recently it was rated overwhelmingly positive on Steam but that does not keep him from giving GOG a proper treatment. THAT is the kind of dev I like to support and I will support in future as well - and congrats Fabrice, in case you should read this.

To this dev however I say: "Goodbye, and don't forget to close the door behind you."
Post edited February 25, 2023 by MarkoH01
Deleted
Post edited February 25, 2023 by MarkoH01