It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

On March 31st we are going to discontinue the Fair Price Package program. Let us explain the reasoning behind this decision.

We came up with Fair Price Package (FPP) as a way to make up the price difference between various countries. Some games on GOG.COM have regional pricing, meaning the price of the same game in one place can be higher compared to its price in North America. In countries where the game is more expensive, we give users the equivalent of the price difference in GOG Wallet funds. In actual numbers, on average, we give users back 12% of the game price from our own pocket. In some cases, this number can reach as high as 37%.

In the past, we were able to cover these extra costs from our cut and still turn a small profit. Unfortunately, this is not the case anymore. With an increasing share paid to developers, our cut gets smaller. However, we look at it, at the end of the day we are a store and need to make sure we sell games without a loss.

Removing FPP is not a decision we make lightly, but by making this change, we will be able to offer better conditions to game creators, which — in turn — will allow us to offer you more curated classic games and new releases. All DRM-free.

We wanted to make sure you have some lead time to still benefit from the Fair Price Package. The program will last until the 31st of March, 2019, so if you would like to take advantage of it, now is the time. The funds you gather from the program will keep the 12 months expiration date from the moment you’ve been granted your last funds.
high rated
First of all, thank you for your support. This was not an easy decision to discontinue the FPP program and we're grateful to you for understanding the reasons behind it. We see that quite a few of you raised concerns about GOG's future. As a part of publicly traded company, we can't comment on any financial results until they are officially reported, but we want to ensure you everything is good with GOG. Being part of a big gaming company, some reports - especially some given by significant media outlets - can often sound much scarier than reality.

You've been also concerned about your access to the games you’ve purchased on GOG. We've covered this topic years ago and it's been in our User Agreement for a long time (please check the section 17.3). This is not only a legal obligation to you but a core part of our ethics as a company.

But don’t worry, all is good, and we have a great plan for the future of GOG. We can’t wait for you to see some of the exciting things we have coming very soon.

EDIT: pinned
Post edited February 26, 2019 by elcook
That's a sad thing. The fair price system was awesome, generous, and the customers who were complaining about it were imbeciles.
high rated
Despite all of the marketing and CDPR owning GOG... the reality is even CDPR games often had to be 'fair price promised' as the price in the US was lower for no particular reason in multiple countries.

CDPR really don't seem to believe in their own mantras otherwise such things wouldnt be necessary.

Add to the drop of fair pricing, even their exchange rates are often aggressively out of whack with real world exchange rates. The difference between real & paypal is 3-4%, very often it has been possible to select dollars & pay a noticeably lower amount at the checkout.

Often the steam store price on sale is lower for games, so if the 'fair pricing promise' is being cut, so do the prices need to be.

"at the end of the day we are a store and need to make sure we sell games without a loss.".

At the end of the say I'm a customer & GOG is a business, if they over charge me for their product I will buy from elsewhere or not at all.

GOG should remember (and their customers), they aren't a charity & customers aren't going to pay an inflated often abusive higher cost just because it is GOG.
Plokite_Wolf: As someone who pays in Euros, this doesn't sit well with me.
Agreed especially considering some publishers like Nordic abuse regional pricing aggressively( especially in the UK).

Maybe we need a list of publishers &games aggressively regionally priced

Hell even CDPR abuse regional pricing with the witcher 3
Post edited February 26, 2019 by Mark-Mark
GOG.com: With an increasing share paid to developers, our cut gets smaller.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: This part makes no sense. The GOG cut is still 30%. So from where exactly is the increasing cut to developers? And where exactly is the smaller cut to GOG?
It's pretty obvious that they are saying that they will reduce their share, and to offset the loss of revenue they need to get rid of FPP, so they are able to stay competitive with Epic and not get ground to dust by those two Juggernauts. Steam might be able to afford ignoring what Epic is doing, GOG has to adapt.
Post edited February 26, 2019 by Fesin
I saved few bucks thanks to FPP but to be honest - I don't really care because it wasn't some big cut. Sure - it is nice to save some cash here and there but I can live without it and I'm going to buy games on GOG anyway because it's great platform even without fair pricing. :)
high rated
elcook: First of all, thank you for your support. This was not an easy decision to discontinue the FPP program and we're grateful to you for understanding the reasons behind it. We see that quite a few of you raised concerns about GOG's future. As a part of publicly traded company, we can't comment on any financial results until they are officially reported, but we want to ensure you everything is good with GOG. Being part of a big gaming company, some reports - especially some given by significant media outlets - can often sound much scarier than reality.

You've been also concerned about your access to the games you’ve purchased on GOG. We've covered this topic years ago and it's been in our User Agreement for a long time (please check the section 17.3). This is not only a legal obligation to you but a core part of our ethics as a company.

But don’t worry, all is good, and we have a great plan for the future of GOG. We can’t wait for you to see some of the exciting things we have coming very soon.
Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately feedback om GOG has become quite rare lately so posts like these are really appreciated.
elcook: First of all, thank you for your support. This was not an easy decision to discontinue the FPP program and we're grateful to you for understanding the reasons behind it. We see that quite a few of you raised concerns about GOG's future. As a part of publicly traded company, we can't comment on any financial results until they are officially reported, but we want to ensure you everything is good with GOG. Being part of a big gaming company, some reports - especially some given by significant media outlets - can often sound much scarier than reality.

That's good to hear, and it's good that you put out a statement on the forums so soon. But like I said in the other thread, I hope you will put out a statement like that on the front page and eben send out a press release. The Kotaku article already reached a mainstream newspaper in my country, so even if that report is wrong, it could still severely damage consumer trust if that fire is not put out immediately.
I understand that you guys are a business and need to turn a profit. Thank you for being open, honest and upfront about it.
high rated
I think we're "understanding" about it precisely because we don't assume that "everything is good" win GOG's finances.

If "all is good" then this decision becomes a bit more wtf. :-/
*double posting*
Post edited February 26, 2019 by stryx
elcook: We can’t wait for you to see some of the exciting things we have coming very soon.
marco polo ... black sheep wall ?
Post edited February 26, 2019 by WinterSnowfall
low rated
Okay. At least, now, will curation be a bit less triggered, concerning "niche" releases? Since you need money, you can always enrich and widen your inventory, right?
Sad news :(
But I guess they had no choice..
high rated
The Fair Price Package program was nice to have and a consumer friendly move, but it should not cost you your company. The main reason, why I buy games here, is their DRM free nature. As long as you keep that, I'll continue to buy games.

Also: Please be sensible. Don't try and grow too fast. That is a surefire way to kill your company.
i_hope_you_rot: Stupid question : Is this means we will receive the same bundle discount scheme like the one on Steam ? ( discount for the bundle if we own one or more games from it )
My post disappeared :

Can we have the same bundle offer scheme like the one on Steam ? ( discount if you own one or more items from the bundle )
We used to have that. GOG moved away from the scheme when sales became so large that "complete the bundle" deals became generally off-putting and blatantly unfriendly to new customers.

At the time, Steam used to sell bundles of games that you had to pay for in full even if you owned some games from it.