It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

On March 31st we are going to discontinue the Fair Price Package program. Let us explain the reasoning behind this decision.

We came up with Fair Price Package (FPP) as a way to make up the price difference between various countries. Some games on GOG.COM have regional pricing, meaning the price of the same game in one place can be higher compared to its price in North America. In countries where the game is more expensive, we give users the equivalent of the price difference in GOG Wallet funds. In actual numbers, on average, we give users back 12% of the game price from our own pocket. In some cases, this number can reach as high as 37%.

In the past, we were able to cover these extra costs from our cut and still turn a small profit. Unfortunately, this is not the case anymore. With an increasing share paid to developers, our cut gets smaller. However, we look at it, at the end of the day we are a store and need to make sure we sell games without a loss.

Removing FPP is not a decision we make lightly, but by making this change, we will be able to offer better conditions to game creators, which — in turn — will allow us to offer you more curated classic games and new releases. All DRM-free.

We wanted to make sure you have some lead time to still benefit from the Fair Price Package. The program will last until the 31st of March, 2019, so if you would like to take advantage of it, now is the time. The funds you gather from the program will keep the 12 months expiration date from the moment you’ve been granted your last funds.
high rated
First of all, thank you for your support. This was not an easy decision to discontinue the FPP program and we're grateful to you for understanding the reasons behind it. We see that quite a few of you raised concerns about GOG's future. As a part of publicly traded company, we can't comment on any financial results until they are officially reported, but we want to ensure you everything is good with GOG. Being part of a big gaming company, some reports - especially some given by significant media outlets - can often sound much scarier than reality.

You've been also concerned about your access to the games you’ve purchased on GOG. We've covered this topic years ago and it's been in our User Agreement for a long time (please check the section 17.3). This is not only a legal obligation to you but a core part of our ethics as a company.

But don’t worry, all is good, and we have a great plan for the future of GOG. We can’t wait for you to see some of the exciting things we have coming very soon.

EDIT: pinned
Post edited February 26, 2019 by elcook
high rated
GOG.com: In actual numbers, on average, we give users back 12% of the game price from our own pocket. In some cases, this number can reach as high as 37%.
Well, no one forces you to carry games with such an outrageous regional pricing. You know, there were times when you didn't allow regional pricing at all. And where you consequently didn't make any loss from it. If you wanted regional pricing but also keep the FPP program, you could just curate your selection of games based on regional pricing and allow only those that you can afford.

I'm a bit sad that, after your 'become more like Steam' plans didn't result in more profit but even in a loss, you don't take that as wake-up signal. But instead you try to become even more mainstream and even less customer friendly. Do you really think that will help? It might just decrease the number of sales of games with regional pricing. I know it will from me.
high rated
Not good news at all. It made a huge difference if I decided to buy a game or not. Now games will be even more expensive and will most likely buy less games from now on or at a much higher discount rate. I'm sure GOG will be around for a while, not worried about that like some doomsayers but I'm not too sure if GOG is still worth it to me. It's matter of spending more money or nothing at all as there are no DRM-Free alternatives.

Anyway, time will tell. I would start to worry if Cyberpunk don't sell as well as expected. Also, I hope you start bringing some good news soon. It's been a lot of bad stuff the last few months; broken website, Galaxy issues, how you handled social media, devs leaving or unhappy with your service. A lot of these things can be fixed, I hope this year will be a change in the positive direction for GOG. We need more DRM-Free stuff in the gaming world today when everything is about multiplayer or always-online services.

Now I'm going to go and play some good old games...
high rated
This makes no difference to me. The industry is so geared towards getting its money from the first few months of sales that anyone with a little patience can get a good deal with such frequent discounts. The off-line installers are what I'm here for, everything else is secondary.
Post edited February 26, 2019 by Fortuk
Lifthrasil: It might just decrease the number of sales of games with regional pricing. I know it will from me.
Indeed, I feel the same way. I was unhappy when GOG switched to allow regional pricing, but the FPP did placate me. However since the FPP (as unfair as it was to GOG) meant I didn't think about regional pricing much when buying games here, really that was just giving a pass to the more greedy publishers at GOG's expense. So I'm ok with the loss of the FPP, but I will definitely be keeping my eye out for and avoiding absurd regional pricing.
Honestly, I never noticed it much. It was a welcome bonus when I noticed my next game was a few euros cheaper because I had some funds in my wallet, but otherwise I never felt much of an impact, so no hard feelings about the decision.
high rated
After reading about the layoffs I'm not surprised.

Do what you need to in order to keep operating the DRM free store you've been operating.
I have two questions.

1. Will we be able to buy games in Canadian currency since it says that the FPP will only end outside of North American continent ?

2. The wallet funds we have from buying games, will the funds remain in our account to buy future games or no ?
AlbertCole: Are things looking so grim? First the layoffs, now this. By all means, do everything to stay competitive and able to offer your amazing service. As long as the games stay DRM-free, I'm on board.
Don't worry, CDP stock is near all time high, they are very profitable, drowning in in cash and have no debt. They just need even more profits.
This doesn't make me happy but I can fully understand it. Competition gets harder.
low rated
Emob78: Short version without breaking out calculators is that a bunch of other countries have crap money, and because of inflation and international dollar conversion and stuff, GOG came up with the idea that everyone could pay the same price for games, despite their own money being crap compared to the almighty dollar. Whatever difference in price that was lost in translation was a big debt bag that GOG decided to carry around for a while in order to please their customers that come from countries with crap money. This was called fair pricing, but in the end that debt bag wasn't quite so fair to the one entity that mattered most. GOG itself.

And it looks like GOG finally decided to put down the bag.
SirPrimalform: Actually, you've got it backasswards. Generally speaking the countries this applied to are ones that had a currency stronger than the US dollar. So they were countries with better money. :P
Fate-is-one-edge: R.I.P. never forget.
I wonder what is the contingency plan when you shut down the servers.
Will users be handed out Steam keys or there will be a back up server for downloads only?
SirPrimalform: I am a retarded phsycho I admit, do you have to remind it to me?
Than don't speak to me you retard. Get lost.
Post edited June 01, 2019 by Fate-is-one-edge
GoG should make it so that the share remains 30% for every dev that does regional pricing, but is reduced for all devs that don't do it.

By the way, does anyone know what the actual new share is that GoG takes?
GOG.com: On March 31st we are going to discontinue the Fair Price Package program. Let us explain the reasoning behind this decision.
Fate-is-one-edge: R.I.P. never forget.
I wonder what is the contingency plan when you shut down the servers.
Will users be handed out Steam keys or there will be a back up server for downloads only?
You can download your games like ever, why would you need a Steam key? This is literally the point of DRM-Free mate.
high rated
Fate-is-one-edge: Don't
speak
to me.
Regards.
It's an open forum. If I have an on topic reply to something you have written then I will post it. You are free to not reply to me if you wish.
GOG.com: In actual numbers, on average, we give users back 12% of the game price from our own pocket. In some cases, this number can reach as high as 37%.
Lifthrasil: Well, no one forces you to carry games with such an outrageous regional pricing. You know, there were times when you didn't allow regional pricing at all. And where you consequently didn't make any loss from it. If you wanted regional pricing but also keep the FPP program, you could just curate your selection of games based on regional pricing and allow only those that you can afford.

I'm a bit sad that, after your 'become more like Steam' plans didn't result in more profit but even in a loss, you don't take that as wake-up signal. But instead you try to become even more mainstream and even less customer friendly. Do you really think that will help? It might just decrease the number of sales of games with regional pricing. I know it will from me.
Yes, "fair priced" would be a nice curation filter indeed...
I didn't use the FPP for the first year or longer, since it was still regional pricing, just at GOG's expense, later I reluctantly bought some since at least it wasn't at my expense, but it was obvious that it would be at some point.

Afaik the EU had plans to ban regional pricing because it is against most discrimination laws, does anyone know what happened to that?
Post edited February 26, 2019 by Klumpen0815
As someone who pays in Euros, this doesn't sit well with me.