It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Encore, encore!

The Bard's Tale Trilogy remastered is coming soon, DRM-free to GOG.com.
Fine-tune your lutes, adventurers! 'Tis time to sing again the tales of Skara Brae. The place where evil took hold, nearly extinguishing all life, all hope. That very same place where the legend of the six heroes began, only this time with high-res graphics that maintain the originals' tone, audio for spells and attacks, plus certain quality of life improvements like an automap and tooltip popups, among others.
Looks pretty bad to be honest. Maybe it's going to be playable on a tablet...
keeveek: Looks pretty bad to be honest. Maybe it's going to be playable on a tablet...
You do realize that this was originally of vga monitors. It is the definition of Good Old Game.

Myself I am looking forward to this. I wish I had not lost all my graph paper maps that I had made for the game.
clisair: You do realize that this was originally of vga monitors. It is the definition of Good Old Game.
What does it have to do with anything?

I'm saying the graphics in this teaser trailer look very bad and lazy. I dare say even the original graphics look better, if you can imagine them having broader color palette

looks like they paintbrushed over the old sprites and added some bland colors to it. It's just my opinion, I can see people liking this version.
Post edited August 07, 2018 by keeveek
clisair: You do realize that this was originally of vga monitors. It is the definition of Good Old Game.
keeveek: What does it have to do with anything?

I'm saying the graphics in this teaser trailer look very bad and lazy. I dare say even the original graphics look better, if you can imagine them having broader color palette
I have the same opinion. Especially the font is awful, hard to read and bad looking. The gaps between the columns is too big, in general the font is too small. For a game that's ¾ of the screen is text and the game itself is about reading (stats, story) that's not a good decision. While the pictures of the adventure window look fibe and the decorations of the text box is ok the whole screen looks very empty. Change the font and raise the text size and they would get in my eyes easily a much better result. Just compare to the original graphics of the amiga version, which looks thanks to a different font and bigger text size much fully and compact.
Post edited August 07, 2018 by DukeNukemForever
looks badass, will buy one day one of release day year of are lord
keeveek: What does it have to do with anything?

DukeNukemForever: I have the same opinion. Especially the font is awful, hard to read and bad looking. The gaps between the columns is too big, in general the font is too small. For a game that's ¾ of the screen is text and the game itself is about reading (stats, story) that's not a good decision. While the pictures of the adventure window look fibe and the decorations of the text box is ok the whole screen looks very empty. Change the font and raise the text size and they would get in my eyes easily a much better result. Just compare to the original graphics of the amiga version, which looks thanks to a different font and bigger text size much fully and compact.
There's room for a larger font, but not much. They would have to shrink the picture and main text window to give the status chart enough vertical room to grow. The empty space comes from stretching a 4:3 column layout into widescreen format.

If the whole screen had the same level of detail as the picture frame and the text scroll, it wouldn't feel so empty. Many versions of the original game had a decorative frame surrounding the whole screen. They could decorate the empty areas of the remaster like many other classic RPGs, although leaving it empty makes it easier to adapt the screen to different resolutions. They could also bring the columns closer together with room for an additional column at the end.
I don't know what kind of mining they run in the background to justify these system requirements for games from the 80's.

More seriously, these games sadly come without Linux support. And I assume the remastered versions do not run in dosemu anymore. ;) So will we at least get the original games as a bonus to be able to play them on Linux?
yogsloth: I did, and that helped me get back to the page... but it doesn't show any way to get the codes.

Which apparently I should have for some Torment stuff too.
LeonKillsAshley: Check the email you used to back the game. They sent out emails with the codes a long time ago. Very confusing.
just to be clear you mean codes for some torment stuff right? no keys for bt4 nor the trilogy remastered sent out yet, right?
low rated
deleted
LeonKillsAshley: Check the email you used to back the game. They sent out emails with the codes a long time ago. Very confusing.
mchack: just to be clear you mean codes for some torment stuff right? no keys for bt4 nor the trilogy remastered sent out yet, right?
Any codes that are available so far. For me that was Torment and some other thing I didn't care about. It should also have a download link for the emulated versions of the BT trilogy. It may be that crowdox sends this email after you've filled out the survey. IMO I think it's a terrible system and it's horribly confusing. I much preferred the way they were handling it before they switched to crowdox.
mchack: just to be clear you mean codes for some torment stuff right? no keys for bt4 nor the trilogy remastered sent out yet, right?
LeonKillsAshley: Any codes that are available so far. For me that was Torment and some other thing I didn't care about. It should also have a download link for the emulated versions of the BT trilogy. It may be that crowdox sends this email after you've filled out the survey. IMO I think it's a terrible system and it's horribly confusing. I much preferred the way they were handling it before they switched to crowdox.
yep, ok then we're on the same page. no codes for this sent out.
Well let's just wait and see if we'll get the remastered trilogy, now that another studio did them (krome).
if not I'm pretty sure I'll buy this anyway as they really look great. but there's still time till all three are out anyway
(vol1 14th of august, vol 2 in fall and vol3 in winter of this year says the video)
DukeNukemForever: I have the same opinion. Especially the font is awful, hard to read and bad looking. The gaps between the columns is too big, in general the font is too small. For a game that's ¾ of the screen is text and the game itself is about reading (stats, story) that's not a good decision. While the pictures of the adventure window look fibe and the decorations of the text box is ok the whole screen looks very empty. Change the font and raise the text size and they would get in my eyes easily a much better result. Just compare to the original graphics of the amiga version, which looks thanks to a different font and bigger text size much fully and compact.
wvpr: There's room for a larger font, but not much. They would have to shrink the picture and main text window to give the status chart enough vertical room to grow. The empty space comes from stretching a 4:3 column layout into widescreen format.

If the whole screen had the same level of detail as the picture frame and the text scroll, it wouldn't feel so empty. Many versions of the original game had a decorative frame surrounding the whole screen. They could decorate the empty areas of the remaster like many other classic RPGs, although leaving it empty makes it easier to adapt the screen to different resolutions. They could also bring the columns closer together with room for an additional column at the end.
Maybe I should not judge now and wait what options are available (font size, screen resolution, windows mode, etc.). I checked the screenshots again and it seems that the font size of the text box is changeable, so maybe there are more good options we don't know yet that allow us to customize the layout.

The good thing if they had in mind to port these games to different devices with different screen sizes and formats is that the layout needs to be flexible. Text can be flexible, as it can be flowing and so you can easily change and move it. In worst you could also use decoration to frame it, as you mentioned it. Many websites do this when you change the window size, they change the text location or put a frame around the text box, because text and statistics should be compact that you easily can overview them. On a 4:3 display, especially on a small screen like in the old days or today on an iPad, it's ok to use the whole width for 6 columns. On a big and modern 16:9 monitor it's a bad idea. Just an example, to see the class of one of your characters you need to look first on the left edge for the name and then to the right edge for a class. On a modern 24" that are 50cm and that's too much.
That's nice, but what about the originals?
pbaggers: That's nice, but what about the originals?
They´re already here: bundled with Bard´s Tale from 2004.
nightcraw1er.488: Ooohhh, another remaster/enhanced, how novel.
This is something that has been in the works since BT4 Kickstarter. It wasn't an official inXile announcement, but they did start working with Olde Skuul with it, a company helmed by a former main coder of BT games, who ended up not delivering. For a while it looked like the remasters would be abandoned, but then Krome stepped in and made pretty steady progress with them.
yogsloth: I did, and that helped me get back to the page... but it doesn't show any way to get the codes.

Which apparently I should have for some Torment stuff too.
Indeed, the Crowd Ox system is terrible. I much more preferred the old system inXile had.
Post edited August 08, 2018 by tomimt