It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The time draws near to explore the classic adventure game in a new way! Cyan, the indie studio that created Myst is now reimagining this classic game. Built from the ground up to play in VR and flatscreen PC, with new art, sound, interactions, and even optional puzzle randomization.

To prepare you for this journey, we've decided to give you a set of discounts on the Myst series lasting on GOG.COM until 23rd September 2020, 6 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
low rated
myst vi: moist
PromZA: Yeah come on, each time they make a new one for the modern age and it doesn't last long before they make a new one. Rather let it age gracefully like Deus Ex which is still regarded as having great graphics considering its age. I'd rather see something new like a reboot of Uru done properly this time.
RadonGOG: That´s not the point, Real Myst Masterpiece was a very weak job in direct comparision to Obduction. CPU-Optimization is bad, AA is lacking, Interface isn´t polished and so on.

Of course it would be best to be an "engine as a service game", a game that gets its tech updated over time...
...but that´s just dreamworks.
That is my whole point. As long as you keep doing weak updates you'll keep doing weak updates chasing current tech. A good artistic job would have lasted a lifetime and not needed constant updates as it's not about the tech. Imo Myst (original) is just fine doesn't need any more updates so just let it go.
i_hope_you_rot: This whole thing makes me confused . Now which Myst version is the best from the series ?
The original, for Macintosh. None of this "Masterpiece Edition" crap.

Partially kidding.
RadonGOG: That´s not the point, Real Myst Masterpiece was a very weak job in direct comparision to Obduction. CPU-Optimization is bad, AA is lacking, Interface isn´t polished and so on.

Of course it would be best to be an "engine as a service game", a game that gets its tech updated over time...
...but that´s just dreamworks.
PromZA: That is my whole point. As long as you keep doing weak updates you'll keep doing weak updates chasing current tech. A good artistic job would have lasted a lifetime and not needed constant updates as it's not about the tech. Imo Myst (original) is just fine doesn't need any more updates so just let it go.
This isn't just a new coat of paint, if you'd even paid attention to the screenshots?
Apparently this is a total rework from scratch with a very interesting feature not very commented: puzzle randomization at certain degree, and I think it can be very interesting due the nature of the puzzles; it can work very well. Replayability in the same universe.

Anyway 5 of 6 versions of the same game at first forced me to believe that Spiderweb software had purchased Cyan last year. :)

And thank god they haven't used Unity.
Darvond: This isn't just a new coat of paint, if you'd even paid attention to the screenshots?
Which brings up the question again, why is it necessary to keep redoing the same thing? Seems you're more hung up on nostalgia and not just letting it go than anything else.
Darvond: This isn't just a new coat of paint, if you'd even paid attention to the screenshots?
PromZA: Which brings up the question again, why is it necessary to keep redoing the same thing? Seems you're more hung up on nostalgia and not just letting it go than anything else.
Okay, let me put it mildly.

Do you really think any game made in 1993 was the actually fully realized version of a game?
PromZA: Which brings up the question again, why is it necessary to keep redoing the same thing? Seems you're more hung up on nostalgia and not just letting it go than anything else.
Darvond: Okay, let me put it mildly.

Do you really think any game made in 1993 was the actually fully realized version of a game?
Let me put it bluntly: do something different.
Does anyone know whether the flatscreen PC version will be 2D (like the original) or 3D (like realMyst)? I've seen it referred to as 2D, but this could just be used to differentiate it from the VR version.
skiler_78: Does anyone know whether the flatscreen PC version will be 2D (like the original) or 3D (like realMyst)? I've seen it referred to as 2D, but this could just be used to differentiate it from the VR version.
That's kind of a redundant question; from the very start Myst has been 3D rendered. It'll probably have multiple transport methods; node to node and free walking.
Darvond: That's kind of a redundant question; from the very start Myst has been 3D rendered. It'll probably have multiple transport methods; node to node and free walking.
Not really redundant. There's a distinction to be made between the 2D pre-rendered ones and the realtime 3D ones.
skiler_78: Does anyone know whether the flatscreen PC version will be 2D (like the original) or 3D (like realMyst)? I've seen it referred to as 2D, but this could just be used to differentiate it from the VR version.
You can almost guarantee it'll be 3D as in realtime. I don't think the pre-rendered "slideshow" style of the original 2D versions would lend itself well to VR, and the non-VR version isn't going to be substantially different.
Post edited November 24, 2020 by my name is sadde catte