It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The time draws near to explore the classic adventure game in a new way! Cyan, the indie studio that created Myst is now reimagining this classic game. Built from the ground up to play in VR and flatscreen PC, with new art, sound, interactions, and even optional puzzle randomization.

To prepare you for this journey, we've decided to give you a set of discounts on the Myst series lasting on GOG.COM until 23rd September 2020, 6 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
Panaias: I guess now it will take more time to explain to today's kids what the different versions of Myst are than what Myst is all about.

(Imaginary scenario)

[Kid in the 2020s] So I played this cool new game called Myst on the PS5...
[Me] Here we go again...
tomimt: The best thing to do is add to the confusion and mutter how Myst was quite a CD seller in its day.
CDs, those are those things in the plastic sleeves that you had to eject with a spring loaded drive, right? With the magnetic oxide?
i_hope_you_rot: This whole thing makes me confused . Now which Myst version is the best from the series ?
They're all slightly different. Stoneship in particular is different between Masterpiece Edition, realMyst, and realMyst Masterpiece Edition due to the fog being swapped out for rain
tomimt: The best thing to do is add to the confusion and mutter how Myst was quite a CD seller in its day.
Darvond: CDs, those are those things in the plastic sleeves that you had to eject with a spring loaded drive, right? With the magnetic oxide?
Some of us still buy them
Post edited September 18, 2020 by DDDespair
I'm planning to play Myst and Riven some day, but what confuses me is that I've heard that Riven is a much better game, so why not remake Riven instead? It's not as iconic as Myst, but it feels like it's smarter to remake and try to sell a game that's supposedly great, instead of one that many people love, but that hasn't aged that well.
wiiseeyou: I'm planning to play Myst and Riven some day, but what confuses me is that I've heard that Riven is a much better game, so why not remake Riven instead?
Riven is being remade by fans as The Starry Expanse Project, as someone previously mentioned in the thread. It's been years in the making though and will probably be years out from being finished yet, unfortunately.
We might get Riven a bit sooner than we think, because Cyan 'adopted' the starry expanse project. At least one of the starry expanse guys is now also a team member of Cyan.
i_hope_you_rot: This whole thing makes me confused . Now which Myst version is the best from the series ?
That depends. Some people prefer the original 2d Myst (Masterpiece Edition'), then there is realMyst and the latest realmyst Masterpiece edition. In some aspects, realmyst is superior, in others the masterpiece edition of the same.
I think the new one will be the ultimate version judging from the very nice 'reemagining' screenshots.
And then to think people complain about necroing shitposts and this thing keeps coming back from the dead like there is no tomorrow.
Aww... FFS not another one!
DDDespair: They're all slightly different. Stoneship in particular is different between Masterpiece Edition, realMyst, and realMyst Masterpiece Edition due to the fog being swapped out for rain
Darvond: CDs, those are those things in the plastic sleeves that you had to eject with a spring loaded drive, right? With the magnetic oxide?
DDDespair: Some of us still buy them
Hence why my reply was completely full of cheek.
Darvond: I suppose Jeff Vogel has to raise the stakes at this rate, given the number of reimaginings of Exile out at this point.
mqstout: But do the changes make it fun yet? Because isn't that what games are supposed to be?
Darvond: Would you like a ladder for your high horse?
TheMonkofDestiny: realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is exactly that.

If only Pyst were here.
Darvond: Then like ToonStruck we could get reminded of how poorly the humor has aged. :p
RadonGOG: Yes, it does; because none of these editions is suitable for the modern age. That´s the problem, none of them is acually a good edition---maybe this time it´ll be.
Darvond: RealMyst was great for the time; still managing to capture that ethereal atmosphere, but tech was moving at blazing speed.
michaliszorzos: Well, it's not that i don't like it... but i don't get it, this game already has 4 versions, did it really need a 5th one?

I would prefer a Myst VI...
Darvond: And what exactly would Myst VI do? The Myst Story like Mother 3 is basically done. The last two games in the series don't even take place during the time the protagonists of the previous ones are alive.
Yes, it was. But it isn´t anymore. It´s not suited for the modern age. Real Myst Masterpiece was a very weak upgrade.
michaliszorzos: Well, it's not that i don't like it... but i don't get it, this game already has 4 versions, did it really need a 5th one?

I would prefer a Myst VI...
RadonGOG: Yes, it does; because none of these editions is suitable for the modern age. That´s the problem, none of them is acually a good edition---maybe this time it´ll be.
Yeah come on, each time they make a new one for the modern age and it doesn't last long before they make a new one. Rather let it age gracefully like Deus Ex which is still regarded as having great graphics considering its age. I'd rather see something new like a reboot of Uru done properly this time.
PromZA: Deus Ex which is still regarded as having great graphics considering its age.
That sounds like an odd and highly debatable statement right there.
Post edited September 19, 2020 by Mr.Mumbles
PromZA: Deus Ex which is still regarded as having great graphics considering its age.
Mr.Mumbles: That sounds like an odd and highly debatable statement right there.
Not really. Sure it might not have been hyperrealistic hd high polygon textures but critics at the time agreed it was nicely done with what was available to give it just the right balance between aesthetics and depicting the dystopian future imagined. Yeah it's aged, but gracefully aged.
PromZA: Yeah come on, each time they make a new one for the modern age and it doesn't last long before they make a new one. Rather let it age gracefully like Deus Ex which is still regarded as having great graphics considering its age. I'd rather see something new like a reboot of Uru done properly this time.
That´s not the point, Real Myst Masterpiece was a very weak job in direct comparision to Obduction. CPU-Optimization is bad, AA is lacking, Interface isn´t polished and so on.

Of course it would be best to be an "engine as a service game", a game that gets its tech updated over time...
...but that´s just dreamworks.
This might be a reboot but does this mean it's a prequel where you play as Atrus?

Hope at least FMV scenes are kept.