It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-free initiative.

We've always been on a mission to offer you games with no DRM protection whatsoever. Today, we want to start taking things a step further, help out people who bought a retail game with DRM, then ended up stuck with something rather unplayable. We can help you enjoy your favorites once again, and this time around, enjoy them DRM-free!

There are countless retail games out there that don’t work for various reasons: unsupported types of DRM, system incompatibilities, broken features. There's too many too count. Starting today, owners of several retail titles originally sold with DRM can get a digital copy of their game completely free at GOG.com: with no DRM as always, compatible with modern operating systems, and with plenty of goodies to boot.
<span class="bold">Reclaim these games, DRM-FREE:</span>

Editions released worldwide:
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Editions released only in CIS & Russian territories:
-Mount & Blade: Warband
-Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword
-Eador: Genesis

To reclaim your game, just use one of the keys that came with your box. You can find more detailed information on the Reclaim your games, DRM-FREE! page to see if your key is compatible and just where to go from there.

This is just the start of something much bigger. We plan to add more titles to the list in the future - it's a long and complicated process that involves negotiating with multiple parties and a scavenger hunt to retrieve forgotten key-databases - but then, we are on a mission here, we'll do whatever it takes.
Post edited April 02, 2015 by Konrad
Wow, that idea is over 9000, I just activated all my Stalker games. If you ever enable this option for original boxed version of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape torment I will build you an altar and sacrifice something:)
Interesting. My retail keys all worked perfectly.

Zoidberg: My Clear Sky Steam key worked but mount and blade fire and sword's didn't and Shadow of Chernobyl doesn't have a key apparently.
M&B as far as I'm aware is limited to the Eastern European/Russian retail versions, which I assume off-hand were released by 1C Company.
darkwind23: Wow, that idea is over 9000, I just activated all my Stalker games. If you ever enable this option for original boxed version of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape torment I will build you an altar and sacrifice something:)
Seeing as Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment never had CD keys, I would hazard a guess that you're going to be waiting a long, long time to build that altar.
Post edited April 02, 2015 by jamyskis
ET3D: Wow, that's an amazing offer. Although it's limited to a few titles right now, the concept itself is a dream come true.

I might have had one of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games on CD at one point, but I probably won't find it. I see I have Call of Pripyat on Steam, but not sure I can find the key.
amok: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/breclaim_your_gamesb_drmfree_1ee9a/post20
Thanks a lot. I now have the game at GOG. Amazing.
Very nice! Finding my STALKER key will be an adventure game all on its own ;)

Thanks GOG!
Effing amazing! Could get my whole stalker collection on the board. Great thanks to GOG, you guys rock!
bouncedk: I have CoP + SoC (a single key) but it wont give me both games ... Incomplete library then and I'd rather not have that.
Warband wont register either, says key is invalid.
Maighstir: Your attached image looks like it's a screenshot of Steam, not a box. That might be why the key doesn't work

All you need is an original game key from your boxed copy and you're good to go.
Maighstir: (Emphasis mine.)
Steam keys do not work, but if the game has a CD key in Steam it works. In Steam CoP and CS have CD keys, but SoC do not. Eador: Genesis also do not have a CD key in Steam.
Looks like GOG's expanding what they did with TW1 and TW2, should make a number of people happy.

JudasIscariot: Then the redemption is probably treated like a purchase and gives you a receipt :) The important thing is that the game is on your account :)
So, the redemption of retail keys is treated like a "purchase" and is accompanied by an email/ receipt; that's nice.
What about the redemption of GOG gift codes? The wishlist entry has a lot more votes than the unbundling one that was granted allegedly because of high demand.
deja65: Guys i found steam cd key for Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl. The game needs to be installed. Wehn you start the game, go to multiplayer and in the top right corner it will say serial or something like that.Hover over with the mouse and whoola. ''Goes downloading Stalker SoC form GOG''
Thanks.
Presumably you can only "activate" a physical game once and can't "disactivate" it to replace the code? Then I would strongly recommend against this. Rather wait for a sizeable sale and get a new key for next to nothing. Those things are replaceable.

Even worse, doing this will arguably tie your physical copy to yourself for good, since only one license was ever bought and un-owning it on gog.com may be problematic. I guess it can be removed from your account if you ask nicely, but in any case the next owner probably can't use the code again so its clearly worth less.
Big things afoot indeed. Judas was not being hyperbolic. I applaud this move, GOG.
HypersomniacLive: Looks like GOG's expanding what they did with TW1 and TW2, should make a number of people happy.

JudasIscariot: Then the redemption is probably treated like a purchase and gives you a receipt :) The important thing is that the game is on your account :)
HypersomniacLive: So, the redemption of retail keys is treated like a "purchase" and is accompanied by an email/ receipt; that's nice.
What about the redemption of GOG gift codes? The wishlist entry has a lot more votes than the unbundling one that was granted allegedly because of high demand.
I guess gift codes are treated differently but why, I have no idea, sorry.
IAmSinistar: Big things afoot indeed. Judas was not being hyperbolic. I applaud this move, GOG.
Oh you thought this was big? How cute :D We've got even bigger things coming :)

(Don't get me wrong I think it's awesome we have this retail redemption thing going on I am just much more excited about another big thing coming up one of these days because reasons :D )
Post edited April 02, 2015 by JudasIscariot
Well, no luck for me with my SoC key from steam. The two others were OK but this one is a big nope !

Thanks though GOG !
JudasIscariot: Oh you thought this was big? How cute :D We've got even bigger things coming :)
So you're going to enable me to redeem all my old CD keys for games that AREN'T on GOG yet? Sweet. ;)

Seriously, though, this is a great move by GOG, especially as it nets you more goodwill than actual money, at least in the early stages.
*blows dust off a DVD case* <-- does anyone remember these
*types the code in* <-- does anyone remember these

*Game redeemed on GOG* <-- EVERYONE will remember this

Thanks GOG, yet another game changer in an ever increasing DRM world

enjoy the TBT pic attached
Attachments:
stk_gog.jpg (491 Kb)
Rixasha: Presumably you can only "activate" a physical game once and can't "disactivate" it to replace the code? Then I would strongly recommend against this. Rather wait for a sizeable sale and get a new key for next to nothing. Those things are replaceable.

Even worse, doing this will arguably tie your physical copy to yourself for good, since only one license was ever bought and un-owning it on gog.com may be problematic. I guess it can be removed from your account if you ask nicely, but in any case the next owner probably can't use the code again so its clearly worth less.
Aside from the illegality and moral repugnancy of doing what you say (I had this problem with my used copy of Spore, where the fuckwit who sold it to me had already redeemed the code on Origin), there is the issue here that the added value has been added after the fact, meaning that the physical copy is technically worth the same regardless of whether the code is redeemed or not.

It's a little different than if you buy a boxed game that contains both a DRM-free copy and a Steam key (which is increasingly common among boxed versions of indie games), because the original value of the game is tied to both the DRM-free copy and Steam key.